The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM

Queen Noor is to 'appear' on the Today programme on Radio 4. Not sure why she's been asked. I don't know that much about her but I might give it a listen.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Queen Noor is to 'appear' on the Today programme on Radio 4. Not sure why she's been asked. I don't know that much about her but I might give it a listen.
so i think in france?

well if you listen to - pls tell here

Old 11-28-2005, 03:36 PM

I'm in Britain but I'll try and report back!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

An article mentioning Queen Noor's appearance on Today:
http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/sto...html?gusrc=rss
Old 11-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Nobility

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire..._feature.shtml

its an older article- but it was not posted...

seems that queen noor is still close to prince faisal?!
or closer than some think...
Old 12-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Nobility

Hi Maryshawn!:) I understand what you mean. When her Husband died there was a slow but evident shift in the balance of power in Jordan. QN indeed retained her Title and Influence, which is far better that Power. However, it was made clear to her that they deemed her to be the outsider and that it would better if she didn't reside in country as much.

Not to mention (Not pointing the fingure but mere highlighting a few facts) that all eyes so to speak were upon Rania. Indeed QR is accomplished but her ethos and accomplishments haven't the casher as QN. Obviouls ly due to the fact that QR hasn't retainedthe Title for a long period of time. And by her words is still struggling to become accimated with her Duties.

QN was from a diferent time and indeed her approach to her Duties that of a distinguished noblewoman. QN over the years has seen the shift in public opinion, which began to prefer QR because She was full Arab. By no means do I criticise QR. Whereas QN is only half Arab and many chosen only to remember that she is U.S born and not her achievements over the course of nearly 1/4 Century.

This to a certain degree would efect the duties that she would undertake. Not that you are unaware of this. There have also been projects of hers qhich QR inherited that she failed to continue ie The Kingn Hussein Foundation. Although it was hers to begin with after a while she was told that she had to relinquish it amongst other things. Therefore QN has rom what I've seen has had to redefine her position and persuits. Dispite her distinguished service to Jordan, there have been many a time where it has been a thing of in wit the new and out with old.

Therefore as that has been the case what would one do? Indeed she has made speeches that have angerred some. An interview of her was upon this subject. Her repply was that since becoming Queen, although many have been aware of her background, many in the West have treated her abominably. Maybe this has been the reason for some of her less liked speeches, with regard to the 'East v West' situation. Also with age I think she has had time to re-examine her stance upon many subjects. Her present and distant past experiences, I believe have significantly influenced her decisions.This also would account (I only make a supposition :) ) for her 'about face' speaches. Having said that, someone could disagree with me.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Agreed. I don't want to get into politics though so am being careful. I have concerns about QN's seeming disconnect with various issues lately.

She said in her book she promised her husband Jordan would remain her home--yet, she is, according to People and just observing her activities--residing mainly in the US and occasionally in the UK. This seems like a major change in her original position.

"Now is the time to promote women's rights and address honor killings....?" Well, hasn't she noticed QR and others are doing just that?

She was going to devote her time to landmines (practically the entire topic on Larry King in 1999) but now seems to be very limited in her participation.

She was also going to focus and raise funds for cancer research. I'm not seeing it. Her speaking engagements are abou the ME.

She's a smart woman with a high profile. She could do a lot of good when it comes to cancer and landmines, for example. I'm baffled more than a bit by her actions which seem discombobulated. She acts like a woman in search of a focus. Instead of devoting her efforts to a few causes, she's been all over the board in the last few years. The recent KHF fundraiser was the first time I'd seen her draw attention to that. Even her website was virtually defunct and hadn't been updated for two years.

The things she's doing (or not doing) are contrary to promises she made or alluded to just three years ago. I'm trying to understand this shift in her focus. IMO, she's struggling with making the shift from being Queen to one in name only--and isn't quite sure of herself right now. I hope she regains her "footing" as there is much good she could do. I'm a huge fann whose followed her for years--but, to me, she seems scattered.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshanah
Hi Maryshawn!:) I understand what you mean. When her Husband died there was a slow but evident shift in the balance of power in Jordan. QN indeed retained her Title and Influence, which is far better that Power. However, it was made clear to her that they deemed her to be the outsider and that it would better if she didn't reside in country as much.

Not to mention (Not pointing the fingure but mere highlighting a few facts) that all eyes so to speak were upon Rania. Indeed QR is accomplished but her ethos and accomplishments haven't the casher as QN. Obviouls ly due to the fact that QR hasn't retainedthe Title for a long period of time. And by her words is still struggling to become accimated with her Duties.

QN was from a diferent time and indeed her approach to her Duties that of a distinguished noblewoman. QN over the years has seen the shift in public opinion, which began to prefer QR because She was full Arab. By no means do I criticise QR. Whereas QN is only half Arab and many chosen only to remember that she is U.S born and not her achievements over the course of nearly 1/4 Century.

This to a certain degree would efect the duties that she would undertake. Not that you are unaware of this. There have also been projects of hers qhich QR inherited that she failed to continue ie The Kingn Hussein Foundation. Although it was hers to begin with after a while she was told that she had to relinquish it amongst other things. Therefore QN has rom what I've seen has had to redefine her position and persuits. Dispite her distinguished service to Jordan, there have been many a time where it has been a thing of in wit the new and out with old.

Therefore as that has been the case what would one do? Indeed she has made speeches that have angerred some. An interview of her was upon this subject. Her repply was that since becoming Queen, although many have been aware of her background, many in the West have treated her abominably. Maybe this has been the reason for some of her less liked speeches, with regard to the 'East v West' situation. Also with age I think she has had time to re-examine her stance upon many subjects. Her present and distant past experiences, I believe have significantly influenced her decisions.This also would account (I only make a supposition :) ) for her 'about face' speaches. Having said that, someone could disagree with me.:)
what is 'about face speeches'? :o
Old 12-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps that she has reconsidered her point of view on certain matters.

I wonder if she feels freer to speak out or is more cautious because she is no longer the wife of the King. She was ultra-cautious whenever she spoke when she was wife of the ruler; sometimes redrafting speeches 20 times (VF, 1999; European Travel and Life, 1988) and says in her book she sometimes felt the weight of the issues in the ME on her shoulders (which she also goes on to say was perhaps overstating the case). I also wonder if she consults with KA and his advisors before making statements which are more political in nature or about the ME or the recent bombings so as to be consistent. I think QN approaches the things she does with a lot of thought and consideration for the impact they may have. She says as much in her book. I think some were disappointed in her book because it lacked personal revelations (there were some but some reviewers wanted more) but I think it would be very, very hard for her to reveal a lot. For one, it's just not her character. Then there are security concerns (as she told one interviewer) and the respect she has for the privacy of her children and other members of her jordanian family.

I thought it interesting that one close advisor to the King said he was "surprised and very impressed" by the way she handled everything while the King was at Mayo. He said she "never cried" and "always projected optimism." (VF, 1999). She says she learned that from her husband but I think discretion has always been part of her make-up--which may be one of the reasons the King trusted her enough to marry her.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Commoner

I enjoyed reading Queen Noor's book, and am wondering if she will be writing a new one?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoux
I enjoyed reading Queen Noor's book, and am wondering if she will be writing a new one?
hehe why should she do?writing a book about not being queen anymore?
in january or february there will be published a new boo about her - but its not written by her.
somebody gave a link here in forum.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Nobility

has somebody ever seen or does somebody have a picture of queen noor wearing glasses --
are there any pictures outthere?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Nobility

[quote=emily62_1]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
From the Persian Times, Nov. 14, 2005:
say what u want, maybe as u did not have the chance to watch Hamzah's wed on TV, QN looked very upset, she was totally ignored, not by other countries' Royal Families members, but by her own son, the groom, byQR and KA. She looked kind of lost, as if she was there as an uninvited guest, not as the groom's mother.
Was that so?..Can you tell me how Queen Noor was seemingly ignored on her own son's wedding?..what happened?..sorry, just being curious and a bit surprised about that..

Old 12-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Nobility

[quote=Mahoogie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily62_1
Was that so?..Can you tell me how Queen Noor was seemingly ignored on her own son's wedding?..what happened?..sorry, just being curious and a bit surprised about that..
what emily means is she was sat down on another table or so... but ...

there are many pictures of queen noor and her son on the wedding day - and they smile and so on...
maybe she looked only sad - because she thought about her husband king hussein - that he cannot attend the wedding?

in my eyes - on such a day - there are many feelings in a mother - happyness proud but sadness too... her first son was grown then ... thats a big step...

for sure there are problems in the family - but she is his mother - and she must be a very important person for her children. they lost already one of their parents...
Old 12-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

I dont get all this talk about which table QN sat at Hamzah's wedding. She didnt necessarily have to sit with her son. I have seen pictures of other royal weddings and members of the family who are hosting the wedding dont always sit together but with their guests.
I also watched Prince Hamzah's wedding reception on tv and Queen Noor looked absolutely fine to me. She was smiling and talking to Queen Rania and others around her. I think its rather presumptous to say that she was ignored or upset. After all none of us can read her mind or guess what mood she was in just by looking at her.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
I dont get all this talk about which table QN sat at Hamzah's wedding. She didnt necessarily have to sit with her son. I have seen pictures of other royal weddings and members of the family who are hosting the wedding dont always sit together but with their guests.
I also watched Prince Hamzah's wedding reception on tv and Queen Noor looked absolutely fine to me. She was smiling and talking to Queen Rania and others around her. I think its rather presumptous to say that she was ignored or upset. After all none of us can read her mind or guess what mood she was in just by looking at her.
I agree!:)
Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Nobility

It is probably correct to say that Noor's position in Jordan was being made uncomfortable. I can't remember the exact interview but I do remember watching KA saying words to the effect of that there was a new team in Jordan now , Abdullah , Rani and Hamzah (obviously this was before the title was taken away) and that people had better get used to the changes. I remember being a bit shocked by the strength and vehement way he said it. We all know Abdullah wasn't taken too seriosly as his Arabic wasn't great and he wasn't fully Arab etc etc and I think he wanted a clean slate so to speak with no-one from the old order overshadowing him as he realised he had a bit of a battle to be taken seriously. Even Western journalists were commenting on his lack of stature - physically and politically at the time. Maybe this is why Noor went, maybe someone discreetly suggested it to her. I don't think it is because Noor is more interested in living in Uk or USA. She loved Jordan.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:16 AM
Aristocracy

I think you're right, I don't think that she would "abandon" Jordan, so to speak, on the contrary, she always appears to show a great deal of dedication. However, I think that she felt there was no place there for her any longer.

It must also have been difficult for her as a widow, being in a place (not Jordan, but her home there) that held so many memories for her. Many people who have been bereaved find it difficult to be in a certain place but without a person that they have now lost.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Nobility

I can empathise with that, there are still certain places I can't bring myself to go to because of memories of loved ones.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
I think that Her Majesty was just tired and hungry at that time so she's mistaken for being sad or neglected..It was a long day, with all the preparations, ceremony and everything, its normal for the groom's mother to feel tired and hungry, not only for the groom's mother but for the rest of the family and wedding guests as well..

Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshanah

QN and QR - two ladies with very strong personalities maybe this kingdom wasn't big enough for the both of them.........