Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath Current Events 1: July 2004-September 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Full article from The Jordan Times

Prince Hassan Honoured for Contributions to Human Dignity, Global Civil Society

AMMAN (JT) — His Royal Highness Prince Hassan attended the 2005 graduation ceremony of London University's School of Oriental and African Studies, where he was formally presented with the degree of LLD Honoris Causa in recognition of his profound and wide-ranging contributions to human dignity and global civil society.

Where P.Hassan had met Sarvath,I've read somewhere that Sarvath and her family were living before in Morocco,did she come from a diplomatic family?

She was the daughter of a Pakistani (?) ambassador I think.

Frothy said:
She was the daughter of a Pakistani (?) ambassador I think.

If you look in Prince Hassan's website, you will see a picture of the two taken way back in 1958. Princess Sarvath's family were a well connected family from the Indian Sub-continent, with family members who were Prime Ministers, Presidents, Cabinet Ministers, Judges, Ambassadors etc., and the fact that they knew each other as children must mean that they moved in similar circles. There has been plenty written about Princess Sarvath's family background in this forum. You have to go back a bit.

Monalisa said:
Where P.Hassan had met Sarvath,I've read somewhere that Sarvath and her family were living before in Morocco,did she come from a diplomatic family?
They met as children. And, yes, she lived for a while in Morocco. . .her mother was the Pakistani ambassador to Morocco for several years.

Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath together with the King and Queen of Sweden as guests of the Tällberg Forum 2005 in Dalarna County, Sweden. The forum gathers 500 leaders from around the world, from royals to diplomats and community leaders. These pictures are from the first day of the forum, this past Saturday 30 July 2005. According to the press, Princess Sarvath is quite a close friend of Queen Silvia. From Isifa.

Attachments

• is_11115509.jpg
    is_11115509.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 185
  • is_11115510.jpg
    is_11115510.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 223
  • is_11115512.jpg
    is_11115512.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 173
  • is_11115514.jpg
    is_11115514.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 179
Princess Sarvath interview, translated by me...

Here's an interview with Princess Sarvath from Swedish Aftonbladet (daily newspaper), published today, that I've translated. It was conducted during her visit to Sweden this weekend. The beautiful picture of her is also by Aftonbladet.

Princess, Muslim and fighter for women’s rights.

She is like fetched from the tales. But Princess Sarvath of Jordan is no figure from the tales. She is a princess, Muslim and fighter for women’s rights all at the same time.

How does an Arabic princess live in 2005?
- To be a princess in our part of the world means a lot of hard work. It’s a responsibility; there is a lot to do for women and poor people.

Can once really be a princess, Muslim and feminist?
- I don’t really like the word feminist. Feminism means a certain amount of struggle, and I was born into a family were we didn’t have to struggle for equality. I think that some feminists are seen as aggressive, and one is afraid of that.

Your mother was the first woman member of Parliament in Pakistan, how has she affected you?
- Mother was also the first Asian woman to become Doctor of Philosophies at the University of London in the 1940’s.
- She was modern, but believed in the old, traditional world. She stayed at home with the children, didn’t throw all the old away, but kept the good parts.

Do you and your husband live equally?
- It depends on how you mean. My husband doesn’t iron, but neither do I. We live a privileged life. My husband has been a present father. When the children were small, we seldom left them both at the same time.

Who did the children cry out with?
- It depended, in the night they came to us both, because we sleep in the same bed. If I was travelling, my husband put the children to bed at night, red them a story and drove them to school.

When did you become a Muslim?
- I was born Muslim, my family has been Muslim since the beginning, for 800-900 years.

Have you never questioned Islam?
- No, not really. I have questioned smaller things, all thinking people do. But I haven’t had any problems living with mine and my family’s religious interpretation of Islam.

Few western women would like to share their husband with several wives.
- No, but my husband doesn’t have any other wives, my gather didn’t have any other wives, not my grandfather and not my great grandfather either.

Would you accept to share your husband with others?
- No, I wouldn’t accept it. I don’t know why some do. But in the west there are many women who are aware of that their husbands have mistresses, and accept that.

Are there things in the Koran that you don’t believe in?
- It would be arrogant of me not to believe what is said in the Koran, it would imply that I had a very deep knowledge of a very complex book, which I don’t have.

Many Muslims are approached in an unpleasant way today; have you also felt that the aggressions are increasing?
- I’ve been fortunate to live a privileged life, and am never in any situation where I would meet any such aggressions. But it’s sad; we must talk more and learn to know each other.

Quick facts:

Name: Princess Sarvath El Hassan bin Talal
Residence: Prince Hassan's residence in Amman, Jordan
Family: Husband Prince Hassan, 58, children Rahmna, 35, Sumaya, 34, Badiya, 30, Rashid, 25, and four grandchildren
Hobby: Has a black belt in taekwondo

Attachments

• Sarvath.jpg
    Sarvath.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 185
GrandDuchess said:
Here's an interview with Princess Sarvath from Swedish Aftonbladet (daily newspaper), published today, that I've translated.
Thanks, GrandDuchess!

Few western women would like to share their husband with several wives.
- No, but my husband doesn’t have any other wives, my gather didn’t have any other wives, not my grandfather and not my great grandfather either.

Would you accept to share your husband with others?
- No, I wouldn’t accept it. I don’t know why some do. But in the west there are many women who are aware of that their husbands have mistresses, and accept that.
This is an odd exchange. Did the interviewer not know that P. Hassan has only one wife? :confused: I find the line of questioning somewhat ignorant and disrespectful to P. Sarvath. :(

I also reacted to that. I felt some of the questions were irrelevant and I also think that her answers have been edited and 'shortened' by Aftonbladet.

GrandDuchess said:
Here's an interview with Princess Sarvath from Swedish Aftonbladet (daily newspaper), published today, that I've translated. It was conducted during her visit to Sweden this weekend. The beautiful picture of her is also by Aftonbladet.

Princess, Muslim and fighter for women’s rights.

Thanks for this interview GrandDuchess. Everytime I read an interview from Princess Sarvath or from Prince Hassan, I always think what a great shame it is that they are not the King and Queen. To me they are the epitome of class and dignity, intelligence and in doing what is right for one's country, not just oneself.

The other interesting thing I noticed from this interview is that in about 500-800 words, not a single word was spent on superficial qualities like how Princess Sarvath looks or what she wears. Instead, every single word was spent really discussing what Princess Sarvath feels on issues affecting her life and her country and her beliefs, not about how she looks in Prada's latest collection.

GrandDuchess said:
Can once really be a princess, Muslim and feminist?
- I don’t really like the word feminist. Feminism means a certain amount of struggle, and I was born into a family were we didn’t have to struggle for equality. I think that some feminists are seen as aggressive, and one is afraid of that.

I really like/admire how Princess Sarvath didn't try to down play her priviliged background. She is honest and up front that she lead a good life that most of her fellow citizens didn't or wouldn't. Too often I see public figures to make it seem as if they lived humble beginnings when they lived in at least average if not very nice homes.

GrandDuchess said:
Who did the children cry out with?
- It depended, in the night they came to us both, because we sleep in the same bed. If I was travelling, my husband put the children to bed at night, red them a story and drove them to school.

It seems so domestic for royals! But nice to hear that Princess Sarvath and Prince Hassan tried so hard to give their children normal upbringings with their parents playing a big role in their lives. Obviously even though Prince Hassan was to be King one day while his children were growing up, and as much as he worked hard for Jordan, his family were his first priority. King Hussein could've learned something from his brother on this one.

prince Hassan have alot to give Jordan , he is the kind of people who know how to express himself I really admire him .

thanx for the article GrandDuchess.
Though I must say I agree with some of the other members. The interviewer appears ignorant and almost rude at times. Either the person doesnt know that Sarvath was born a Muslim and her husband, like other men of the JRF, doesn't have multiple wives, or he/she was trying to be condescending on purpose. I hope they dont interview Swedish royalty in that manner:rolleyes:
btw..I think the accompanying picture puts to rest all those crazy theories about P.Sarvath having work done on her face or using botox.

Suria and other Jordanians. I have been told that there was a nice piece in one of the Arabic language papers yesterday, written by Prince Hassan about his vision for the Arab world, and that also it was reported , again in the Arabic press today, that he went to Al Al Bait University, which was of course his creation and which I believe he has not visited in many years. It would be interesting to know what was said.

There will be interview on MBC with prince Hassan ( saturday , 9.30 pm ) , it seems really intresting , it is about his life :cool:

Part I

-Prince Talal and QZ had actually 6 children,:
Hussein, Asma’a (died very young), Mohammad, Hassan, Muhsen (died young) and Basma.

-Prince Hassan was very close to his nanny (Umsiyat), who was Prince Tala’s Nanny

Back in Al-Hijaz, she was Originally African; He used to miss her a lot during his stay

In London, until one day when he was about 13, he looked for her and never found her, and then he was told that she passed away. That incident made Al-Hassan, who was still a child, lonelier (Back then he was called the sad Prince).

-Who’s the closest person to you from your family?

Prince Hassan: My sister Basma,as I am only 4 years older than her and ALia bint Al-Hussein who’s 9 years younger than I am.

We would always play together.

-Princess Alia bint Al-Hussein: My uncle Hassan (3ammy Hassan), was fun to play with , but he also used to scare us, because he watched over us most of the time. He used to play rough (laughing), but it was great!

HRH Adds, He loves to win, When my aunt Basma or I won, he would underestimate that winning and would be like, “Come on!, It’s nothing” (still laughing)

He even used to tease me if I win him by saying (in a teasing way):”Yea of course you won! We didn’t study English literature like you! “

-Jawad Annani (a former minister and chief of the Royal Court): Prince Hassan doesn’t accept anything wrong; he likes everything to be perfect! He becomes very furious if anything goes wrong.

He was feared, everything has to go just perfect, and everyone had to do his job, the right way, or else….! (Laughing).

- You were so much feared by the senates?

Prince Hassan (laughing out very loud): Oh, They still do fear me! Why did they put me on the shelf then (put me aside)?!! (laish hattouny 3la el raf la3ad?!).

- Monzer Haddadine (a former minister of water): He used to make us work and finish our jobs even if it took all day long. (Details omitted).

- "الملكية الناجحة هي التي تقلل من الرعوية"

(Not sure of the exact translation, but I’ll give it a try): The successful monarchy is the one that reduces the followers!(is the one that relies on institutions rather than personal loyalties)” Prince Hassan Said.

-He used to supervise everything to make sure everything is going the right way.

-He said I was raised the “British way”, I was very strict and disciplined”, and I believe in conversations and methods of convincing others “If u have a brain, let me meet with it (?)”

-Monzer Haddadine: even though he was very tough, he was very kind and compassionate.

-Are you moody your royal Highness?

Prince Hassan: Excuse me? Am I what? Moody? Oh yes I am. Sometimes I think people got me wrong, I am very honest and my honesty got me in trouble. I get upset quickly and easily!

-Do you think some people felt that you mistreated them in a way or another? Has anyone been “evil” to you?

Prince Hassan :Well, I forget the mistreatment and them being evil to me, but they never forget my mistreatment “to them”(which wasn’t intended in purpose of course),and they would all stab me in the back and “return” it back to me!

(أنا أنسى الإساءة و لكنهم لا ينسون و بردولي إياها!)

- The host: I found great sadness in his eyes, those eyes which hide a baby who had suffered a lot from loneliness.

- Princess Alia: People say My uncle Hassan is rough and cold, but the contrary is true, he’s very caring and very emotional , but I think his coldness is a way of “protection”, because he’s very sensitive, warm, and above all he has a “wide” awake conscious.

- Is it true that you rarely smile “Kesher”?

Prince Hassan: Do u see me like that?! (laughing). But I am Serious, I remember once a colleague told me that I never smile and I look too Serious when giving out speeches or when I am in meetings abroad that I need to smile, so I laughed and told him, in such meetings we discuss the “The conditions of the Arab world” and I don’t think that’s something conducive to smiling!!!.

Last edited:
Part II

-1979 he published a book called “A Study on Jerusalem”.

-Host: There’s a very well known issue between Jordanians and Jordanians from Palestinian origins, It’s said that you are to the side of Jordanians and do care for them more?

Prince Hassan:My father was born in Al-Hijaz, and Palestinians were born in Jerusalem (or in any other place in Palestine),so I am no more a Jordanian than they are! I have been so interested in the Palestinian issue and I was so excited and keen on the Idea of sending 1948 Palestinians (Arab-Israelis) to “al-Hajj” through Jordan, I think there isn’t any need for such talks and there’s no need for bashing too!

- In 1956 his royal highness left to London to study in “summer field school”, students teased him a lot and he felt he was abused, they threw stones at him and called him “The Arabic with the Dark complexion” and the “uncivilized” , which made him become proud of who he really was and where he came from.

- Prince Hassan: I’ve always been the youngest among all students in my class and that’s the reason why I was only 17 when I graduated! I was outstanding as well.

There was sorrow and grief in my family, loosing 3 children (*there was another child between PH and PB but he wasn’t named as he died soon after he was born), My grandfather’s death and my father’s illness, So I felt that my family built high hopes on me , that I have to study and get the best degrees.

-Host: In London faced a new atmosphere, one that is completely different than yours, how did u deal with that?

- Prince Hassan: Well, I wasn’t much of a party person, I didn’t go to nightclubs….(Host cuts in)…But as a teenager , didn’t u feel like doing what all the other teenagers did?

Prince Hassan (laughing): I never was a teenager; I’ve always been a soldier!!

(عمري ما كنت مراهق طول عمري خدمة علم!!!)`

-Prince Hassan Speaks 7 languages, one of them is Hebrew ,he learnt it so that he would know the language of his enemies, he also speaks French,Spanish,Turkish&German next to English and Arabic!.

Prince Hassan: I remember my mother used to speak French with her friends while were abroad.

** I'll be posting part 3 tomorrow which is a very intresting part,he will talk about his relationship with KH and what happend in 1999....He will also talk about his fav.dishes and then there's gonna be a short interview with Rashid too.

Stay tuned...lol.

Last edited:
Part III:

In 1999 His majesty the Late King Hussein, Wrote a letter to his brother that shook him so hard.

“ couldn’t translate the letter, but it isn’t the same one he sent in Jan.1999 telling him that he chose Prince Abdullah to be crown prince”…It was a very weird and one that I haven’t heard before!.

-Host: were you shocked?

Prince Hassan: we grow older and forget with the days…

Host: what are the main reasons behind such a decision?

Prince Hassan: there weren’t any convincing reasons , but I think some “evil”people played a vital role in the Decision (wlad el Haram le3bu dor!!)!!

1965 The constitution was Amended in a way that any of King Hussein’s brothers can be appointed as crown prince, this step was met by blessings from QZ and the whole family back then.

Prince Hassan: I was abroad and I returned back home for the spring break, I was named “crown Prince” on April fool’s day (April,1st!!!) (laughing)…

Host: Were you both close?

Prince Hassan: Ah! We were one soul in 2 bodies (sad voice).

Jawad Ananny: He was very loyal, he used to fear KH (MHSRIP).

Prince Hassan: He would sometimes just move his eyebrow to tell me something, I would understand what he wants without hearing what he has to say. (بس إشارة حاجب،و أنا كنت اللبيب الذي من الإشارة يفهم!)

Host:Were you and his late Majesty Different?

Prince Hassan: we were so different, he was very optimistic and I wasn’t, he was fast in everything and I was very slow, I was closer to being a “turtle”!!

King Hussein had a constant smile on his face, I hardly smiled, and his smile captured everyone’s heart!

**( all of us who were watching, burst into tears when he said that, we felt he was so deeply wounded inside!)

Host: A word can affect Al-Hassan and hurt him badly. He was used to the Arabic disappointments and he was an expert , dealing with them!

Princess Alia: people viewed my dad as more open and close to them , while People viewed Hassan as a very cold and serious person.

Host: Did u upset KH?

Prince Hassan: well, one of my friends saw in my library , back in Oxford, books about communism and Marxism , and he went and told the King “Ur brothers has interests in Marxism!” , SO the King sent me a very harsh letter (men ga3 el dest ,as they say Here in Jordan), So I took the letter and went back to Jordan and asked him to read it for me, He asked me why, So I told him because if u believe in what’s written in this letter u will never see my face again!

King Hussein Used to ask me for an opinion when wanting to start a project, but no matter what I told him, once he decided to do something no one could stop him!

When King Hussein went back to London from the states , During his treatment process ,he came and took me by a private jet to his house in London , As for the story about me not seeing him for 6 months, it was because every time I wanted to go see him, he would ask me to stay in Jordan as I was his regent and I must stay in Jordan, ur the head of the Hashemites in Jordan while I am away ( إنت القرم الهاشمي!)

Host: There were Rumors that the Ill king didn’t want to see his brother and that Sarvath was planning to make some drastic changes in the Royal palaces and compounds.

I'm sorry couldn't finish it all,It's longer than I thought,aso I guess there will be part 4 and maybe five,but I promise I am working on it,translation is very hard!

Enjoy Papillon! ;)

Last edited:
Well done Lil Monkey ! This is an extemely good effort. I have heard that the interview was quite amazing and frank. The interviewer asked blunt questions and got blunt answers, no beating about the bush ! There was a lot about Prince Hassan's early childhood and influences. A lot about the responsibilty that was heaped upon him, the development plans etc. The people who were interviewed said that he was a strict and hard taskmaster, who demanded high standards, but that he was fair and set equally high standards and goals for himself. Interesting questions were about him being more pro 'Jordanian' than 'Palestinian'. He answered that well I am told, and the people being interviewed said that at a certain point he was the most knowledgable person in Jordan on Palestinian matters and did a lot to help them get certain claims accepted. They also asked if it was true that he was an 'Islamist' which he answered well there as well. Princess Sarvath was not interviewed, but Princess Ali and Princess Sumaya were. P. Alia obviously loves him a lot because she talked a lot with a lot of affection. He said that the closest people to him in his family were her and Princess Basma and it was obvious that they had fun together. This is important. P. Alia was asked about the succcession change. She said it was not a question of positions and titles that was the problem but that everyone suffered in the way that the change was carried out. Prince Hassan was frank about his feelings regarding the change and the people around his brother in his last days. One of the men interviewed said that the business about P. Sarvath redecorating the Palace was nonsense. She only ordered some changes made in the kitchens and the guest palace because the German President was coming, and he thinks that the whole thing was misrepresented to the late King. My friend says he should know because he was the Head of the Court at the time of the changes. There were many new and interesting photographs and film footage. Also a lot of film of P. Hassan going about, meeting people, laughing a lot. He told lots of jokes. The interviewer asked him if he had never considered marrying again , he laughed and said that he was too busy for that ! I suppose that is the sign of a good marriage that he can joke like that in front of hundreds of people ! I do wish that somehow we English and French speakers could see this interview, with some sort of sub-titling. is there anyway we can ask the tv channel, does anyone know ? I am sure that there was a lot that many people would want to and should hear, in Europe and the US. :confused:

Final Part:

Jawad Annany: As far as I know, minor issues happened, it wasn’t as serious as people said, there were talks about redecorating the Kitchen and some redecorations in the palace because the German president was suppose to stay there.

Host: Evil people are everywhere?

Prince Hassan: No, not really, but Justice will prevail and nothing will remain hidden.

Princess Alia: The decision of appointing Prince Adullah as CP, didn’t make him sad, the Situation and the timing is what made him sad. It wasn’t a good time at all.

Prince Hassan: I accepted the decision, thank God for the Ability to forget!

(A scene of al-Hassan and a few other players playing Polo, Prince Hassan had number 4 (in English) on his polo shirt and Rashed has number 4 (in Arabic).)

(Another scene after the game, of people drinking tea and talking)

Abdullah Kareem (HRH escort ):he was very tough and strong!

Prince Hassan: I was naughty, I think I got broken Bones more than 16 times (laughing).

When I was a Student in UK, they asked me to play boxing with another student, It was more like a match, but the guy hit me and broke my nose, so I pushed him on the floor and kept punching him all over, they took me off him and I remember the coach saying, Ur mood isn’t appropriate for a game like this!! (Laughing)

Host: (Laughing): Ur not allowed hitting anyone?

Prince Hassan cuts in: huh? What do u mean?

Host: Ur not allowed because I heard ur punch is a killer (laughing)

(ضربتك قاتولية )

Host: It is known as well, that prince Hassan enjoys food, Mansaf, Chinese, Japanese and even “galayet bandoora” (which is a local dish, usually made by poor people).

(A scene of Prince Hassan and the Host entering a local restaurant called” Al-Shareef Al-reefy) , then another scene of them sitting on the table and having hubbly bubbly (argeeleh).

Prince Hassan: Mainly, I like Turkish and Persian (Iranian) Dishes.

Host: in 1958 Prince Hassan was called the “sad Prince” after the fall of the Hashemite monarchy in Iraq, the Pakistani ambassador to London, managed to help the young prince get out of his grief , that’s when he met “Sarvath”.

Prince Hassan: Sarvath and I, Played Tennis always.

Host: Did u have the courage to open up the subject of marriage with her?

Prince Hassan: we both had courage, I Invited her and her family to visit Jordan, Sarvath and I became very close , we didn’t feel how fast time went by and that was when the Idea of Marriage “popped-up”. Well, I also have to admit that by marrying me she had to give up studying in Cambridge University, she got a marriage certificate instead of a degree!!(laughing).

Host: Do u love her?

Prince Hassan: well, Love has another synonym , Affection and care, but by getting married to Sarvath I got rid of the circle of talks that were dominating back then “will the prince get married to a girl from family “x” or family “y”?!…etc.”!!

Host: Are u a perfect husband?

Prince Hassan: not At all!

Sumaya bint Al- Hassan: I remember when dad took us to school , he would play some brain storming games with us, they were more like quizzes and we had to know the answer, it was very easy going and we had lots of fun when being with him.

When he came late at night, he would tuck us in our bed’s and read bedtime stories for us

**Princess Sumaya’s accent is Jordanian as well.

Jawad Annany: I remember Prince Hassan’s children were easy going and joked a lot with their father, they called him “Abu-Rashid”.

Host: who’s the closest to you from ur children and who’s so much like you?

Prince Hassan: there are two classes (A and B),Rahma and Badiya are so much alike In everything, Rashed is (روسية )with Badiya, they argue a lot and keep teasing each other, Sumaya is so much like me , the way she moves and the way she manages things, she’s also very close to her mother.

In the family, we have 2 Taurus and 4 Lions!! I am surrounded by Lions! (Laughing).

(A scene of Prince Hassan and Rashed Sitting on the stairs (in the garden).)

Host (to Prince Rashed): When did your dad find out u smoke?

Prince Rahed (laughing): it was a few years ago, my mum prevented us from smoking, smoking was not allowed at all, but one day while I was out in the Garden smoking, sidi Hassan came out to the garden and was smoking as well, we saw each other so he said “you didn’t see me and I didn’t see you!” and we walked away… (laughing).

كان قبل كذا سنة،كانت الوالدة تمنع التدخين....))

** Rashed’s accent is 100% Jordanian , It was amazing listening to him, I loved the way he talked, even though the letters “R” and “L” were a bit heavy, but I couldn’t believe my ears, I never heard him speaking, I didn’t even think he knew Arabic!

Host: it known that Arab leaders tend to re-marry more than once, do u consider that?

Prince Hassan: I am very Lazy ! (laughing),I don’t have the time nor the will to do so!

Thank God what I have is a great gift from God!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom