The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Prince Hassan & Princess Sarvath open "A Tale of Two Cities" exhibition

The one- week Exhibition groups six artists from the EU, Jordan and Iraq to share their varied cultural experiences.
Three of European artists are from Italy, Norway and United Kingdom, the other three artists are from Jordan and Iraq.

'' The theme of the event is to highlight the importance of locality and cultural identity of Jerash and Salt, and the interaction between them,'' Director of Orfali Art Center and Gallery said.

//Petra//
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I copy.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	135545   Click image for larger version

Name:	2copy.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	135546  

Old 05-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Princess Sarvath opens Exhibition

Looks like she's wearing a shalwar kameez. A little too sober and somewhat out of date, the kameez is too long and so are the sleeves, but I think she's not one to follow trends just for the sake of it. Although I do know that some of the top Pakistani designers design for her.
She seems to prefer darker shades.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3282I copy.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	136680   Click image for larger version

Name:	3280I copy.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	136681  

Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Nobility

From The Jordan Times

Prince Hassan Opens New Badia Research Centre Premises

AMMAN (Petra) — HRH Prince Hassan on Thursday inaugurated the new headquarters of the Badia Research and Development Centre in Safawi. At the opening ceremony, Prince Hassan presented members of the centre's steering committee with tokens of appreciation. So far, the centre has carried out 17 development projects in the Northern Badia at a cost of JD105 million, in cooperation with several Arab and non-Arab institutions.

Friday-Saturday, May 6 -7, 2005
Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Nobility

From The Jordan Times

Prince Hassan Attends Renewable Energy Conference

AMMAN (Petra) — HRH Prince Hassan, chairman of the Higher Council for Science and Technology, on Monday acted as patron at the Second Regional Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Renewable Energy Conference. A total of 20 international experts from the field of renewable energy technology and policies, along with eight ministers from MENA countries are taking part in the event. The Prince called for giving the private sector a role in developing and utilising renewable energy sources and establishing a commission concerned with energy and water issues in the region. Participants in the three-day conference will discuss working papers on the development of water and energy sources in MENA countries, among other related issues. During the conference, a European partnership with MENA countries will be announced to achieve energy security and coordinate efforts in implementing projects that utilise renewable energy sources.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005
Old 05-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

I noticed that P. Sarvath is wearing the same shalwar kameez in Madrid in 2000 and the one she wore earlier this month. At first I couldnt see it but the embroidered motif at the bottom of the kameez is the same. I dont know any woman who wears the same shalwar kameez within a period of 5 years.
She just changed the dupatta (scarf) and handbag. I like the red better.
Still, good for Sarvath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1b.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	143512  
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Caption:
SHUNEH, JORDAN - MAY 20: Prince Hasan (L), uncle of King Abdullah of Jordan, chats with the advisor of the King of Moroco at the opening of the World Economic Forum in the Dead Sea resort of Shuneh May 20, 2005 35 kilometers west of Amman, Jordan. The three-day conference aims at helping leaders seize on the climate of change that has begun to spread in several of their countries. (Photo by Salah Malkawi/Getty Images)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	146624  
Old 05-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Nobility

From The Jordan Times

HRH Prince Hassan signs the city of Hannover's Golden Book as Hannover Mayor Herbert Schmalstieg looks on.

Globalisation Should Incorporate Universal Ethic of Human Solidarity — Prince Hassan

AMMAN (JT) — HRH Prince Hassan encouraged civil society proponents this week to ensure that the reality of globalisation promotes human fraternity rather than contributes to conflict.

Addressing the 30th Protestant Kirchentag, a major civil society festival taking place this year in Hannover, Germany, on the subject of “Globalisation and Civil Society,” Prince Hassan spoke about his ideas for a humanitarian approach combining the efforts of the World Economic Forum and the World Social Forum.

This would help create a new conceptual and practical framework that encourages a rational, moderate and sustainable globalisation, since “we share this life and we each have a responsibility to each other as to ourselves in order to avert the worst,” the Prince said.

In his speech, which he delivered in German, Prince Hassan said globalisation is not just an economic phenomenon, but a human one, and it should therefore incorporate a universal ethic of human solidarity, enhancing what is universal and respecting differences.

This approach, the Prince stated, is based on an understanding and respect for diversity of religious belief and practice, rejecting both cultural relativism and religious absolutism.

“We must be committed to the agenda for the New International Humanitarian Order and the law of peace. Global thinking should be translated into local and regional actions, to build from the bottom up. The progress of civil society, in Islamic societies as in others, goes hand-in-hand with the development of a secure sense of identity, a respect for the rule of law, a culture of multiculturalism, and equality in all spheres of life.”

Prince Hassan noted how little of the funds promised for Iraq's reconstruction has actually been spent, in contrast to the vast sums allocated to weapons and defence in the region. :(

He also highlighted the Arab world's human development issues and several intraregional and inter-regional civil society projects, such as the Middle East Citizens' Assembly, the Barcelona Process, the Parliament of Cultures and Partners in Humanity.

Observing that the Middle East region is not mobilising the full extent of its many resources, the Prince also called for the establishment of a regional economic and social council, such as that exists in Europe, in order to boost the region's human development.

Prince Hassan's appearance at the Kirchentag also included a panel discussion and a question and answer session with the audience.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

From Petra

Prince Hassan Delivers Speech at Protestant Church Conference

Hanover, May 30 (Petra) -- HRH Prince Hassan Ben Talal reiterated that globalization does not call for conflict and it's not just an economic phenomenon but also a human one.

Prince Hassan called, in a speech in front of participants in the Protestant Church Conference held in the German city of Hanover, to unify efforts of the World Economic Forum and International Social Forum with a view to achieve human approach to sustain globalization and take part in a dialogue on the world visions.

Prince Hassan pointed in his speech, which was delivered in the German language, to the slightness of allocations for the reconstruction of Iraq
when compared to money allocated for weapons and defense in the region.

It is noted that HRH Prince Hassan talked, in his contribution to the conference under the title ''Pulses of the World in the Scale,'' about the impacts of the goals of development in the 3rd millennium, the initiative of Marshall international project, the strategy of the joint European market and the strategy of Lisbon.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Nobility

From The Jordan Times

HRH Prince Hassan, president of the Club of Rome, signs the Rome Manifesto this week. (Photo courtesy UITP.)

Prince Hassan Calls for Sustainable Transportation System

AMMAN (JT) — HRH Prince Hassan cautioned against the threats to our living environment due to the extensive use of scarce natural resources and the emissions of harmful pollutants.

In his keynote address at the opening ceremony of the 56th UITP World Congress and Mobility and City Transport Exhibition in Rome this week, the Prince said a sustainable transportation system was an important aspect of global sustainability.

Prince Hassan said motor vehicles and traffic are major factors behind declining environmental and living conditions in cities, noting that photochemical smog, increased ozone and nitrogen dioxide, throughout the developed and developing world, pose a critical threat to human health.

In addition, the gap between the ecological devastation taking place in many parts of the world and the global response, seriously needs to be examined, he added.

Prince Hassan joined UITP President Professor Wolfgang Meyer, in the signing of the Rome Manifesto, which invites community leaders worldwide to be partners in supporting strong public transport systems. Public transport must play a full role in the life of cities and regions to keep societies mobile, connected and safe.

“As an integral part of the fabric of where we live, public transport increases affordable access to jobs, services, education and leisure. It is also a powerful tool for achieving long-term social, environmental and economic goals,” according to the manifesto.

The Prince highlighted the importance of developing a concept of intra-independence in the Middle East region — a trans-boundary initiative and a trans-national commission for energy and water, along the lines of the European Coal and Steel Community, to encourage the correct usage of scarce water resources and commodities in the region.

He concluded by calling for a concrete commitment, between the private sector, government and NGOs, to responsible transport development policies.

Public transport professionals, operators, authorities, officials and special guests attended the congress, which takes place every second year.

Founded in 1885, UITP is the worldwide association of urban and regional passenger transport operators, their authorities and suppliers. Located in Brussels and with over 2,000 members from nearly 80 countries, UITP seeks to promote a better understanding of the potential of public transport.

The UITP World Congress, which concluded yesterday, seeks to develop official positions and advocacy papers that are communicated to public authorities, politicians and international organisations, in order to devise policies prioritising public transport as the solution for sustainable mobility.

Also during his visit to Rome, the Prince addressed officials and officers of the NATO Defence College.

He stressed the need to find a balance between national and regional interests
, adding that it was vital to organise regional consultations at the highest level. One of the top priorities would be a declaration of principles for a regional “Stability Pact” as well as regional “Codes of Conduct” in various fields.

In his address, Prince Hassan said the moment had come for a conference for security and cooperation for West Asia. This would encourage the region to live up to its international obligations, most of all in international humanitarian law.

The Prince concluded his address by responding to questions that dealt mainly with the latest events taking place in the Middle East region.

Friday-Saturday, June 10-11, 2005
Old 07-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Nobility

I have just been read over the 'phone an article by Prince Hassan that appeared in today's The Star. It was entitled 'Terrorism' and made a lot of sense. Can anyone give me a link to the newspaper ? I tried www.star.com.jo. with no luck.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley
I have just been read over the 'phone an article by Prince Hassan that appeared in today's The Star. It was entitled 'Terrorism' and made a lot of sense. Can anyone give me a link to the newspaper ? I tried www.star.com.jo. with no luck.
Here it is, Shelley:

From The Star

But that site is more than a little fussy, so if anyone wants to read the full article, it is also available here (at the top of the page):

Terrorism

Terrorism
By HRH Prince El Hassan bin Talal
July 14, 2005

No one is immune to terrorist attacks. The bombings that rocked the British capital last week testify once more to the fact that civilians are the most vulnerable.

A major source of worry to mankind is the fact that cooperation amongst various terror organizations throughout the world can facilitate the acquisition of weapons of mass destruction and provide terrorists with a global reach.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Nobility

Thumbs up

Full article from The Jordan Times

Prince Hassan Honoured for Contributions to Human Dignity, Global Civil Society

AMMAN (JT) — His Royal Highness Prince Hassan attended the 2005 graduation ceremony of London University's School of Oriental and African Studies, where he was formally presented with the degree of LLD Honoris Causa in recognition of his profound and wide-ranging contributions to human dignity and global civil society.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Where P.Hassan had met Sarvath,I've read somewhere that Sarvath and her family were living before in Morocco,did she come from a diplomatic family?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Nobility

She was the daughter of a Pakistani (?) ambassador I think.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
She was the daughter of a Pakistani (?) ambassador I think.
If you look in Prince Hassan's website, you will see a picture of the two taken way back in 1958. Princess Sarvath's family were a well connected family from the Indian Sub-continent, with family members who were Prime Ministers, Presidents, Cabinet Ministers, Judges, Ambassadors etc., and the fact that they knew each other as children must mean that they moved in similar circles. There has been plenty written about Princess Sarvath's family background in this forum. You have to go back a bit.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
Where P.Hassan had met Sarvath,I've read somewhere that Sarvath and her family were living before in Morocco,did she come from a diplomatic family?
They met as children. And, yes, she lived for a while in Morocco. . .her mother was the Pakistani ambassador to Morocco for several years.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath together with the King and Queen of Sweden as guests of the Tällberg Forum 2005 in Dalarna County, Sweden. The forum gathers 500 leaders from around the world, from royals to diplomats and community leaders. These pictures are from the first day of the forum, this past Saturday 30 July 2005. According to the press, Princess Sarvath is quite a close friend of Queen Silvia. From Isifa.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	is_11115509.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	175263   Click image for larger version

Name:	is_11115510.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	175264  
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Sarvath interview, translated by me...

Here's an interview with Princess Sarvath from Swedish Aftonbladet (daily newspaper), published today, that I've translated. It was conducted during her visit to Sweden this weekend. The beautiful picture of her is also by Aftonbladet.

Princess, Muslim and fighter for women’s rights.

She is like fetched from the tales. But Princess Sarvath of Jordan is no figure from the tales. She is a princess, Muslim and fighter for women’s rights all at the same time.

How does an Arabic princess live in 2005?
- To be a princess in our part of the world means a lot of hard work. It’s a responsibility; there is a lot to do for women and poor people.

Can once really be a princess, Muslim and feminist?
- I don’t really like the word feminist. Feminism means a certain amount of struggle, and I was born into a family were we didn’t have to struggle for equality. I think that some feminists are seen as aggressive, and one is afraid of that.

Your mother was the first woman member of Parliament in Pakistan, how has she affected you?
- Mother was also the first Asian woman to become Doctor of Philosophies at the University of London in the 1940’s.
- She was modern, but believed in the old, traditional world. She stayed at home with the children, didn’t throw all the old away, but kept the good parts.

Do you and your husband live equally?
- It depends on how you mean. My husband doesn’t iron, but neither do I. We live a privileged life. My husband has been a present father. When the children were small, we seldom left them both at the same time.

Who did the children cry out with?
- It depended, in the night they came to us both, because we sleep in the same bed. If I was travelling, my husband put the children to bed at night, red them a story and drove them to school.

When did you become a Muslim?
- I was born Muslim, my family has been Muslim since the beginning, for 800-900 years.

Have you never questioned Islam?
- No, not really. I have questioned smaller things, all thinking people do. But I haven’t had any problems living with mine and my family’s religious interpretation of Islam.

Few western women would like to share their husband with several wives.
- No, but my husband doesn’t have any other wives, my gather didn’t have any other wives, not my grandfather and not my great grandfather either.

Would you accept to share your husband with others?
- No, I wouldn’t accept it. I don’t know why some do. But in the west there are many women who are aware of that their husbands have mistresses, and accept that.

Are there things in the Koran that you don’t believe in?
- It would be arrogant of me not to believe what is said in the Koran, it would imply that I had a very deep knowledge of a very complex book, which I don’t have.

Many Muslims are approached in an unpleasant way today; have you also felt that the aggressions are increasing?
- I’ve been fortunate to live a privileged life, and am never in any situation where I would meet any such aggressions. But it’s sad; we must talk more and learn to know each other.

Quick facts:

Name: Princess Sarvath El Hassan bin Talal
Residence: Prince Hassan's residence in Amman, Jordan
Family: Husband Prince Hassan, 58, children Rahmna, 35, Sumaya, 34, Badiya, 30, Rashid, 25, and four grandchildren
Hobby: Has a black belt in taekwondo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sarvath.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	175408  
Old 08-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Here's an interview with Princess Sarvath from Swedish Aftonbladet (daily newspaper), published today, that I've translated.
Thanks, GrandDuchess!

Quote:
Few western women would like to share their husband with several wives.
- No, but my husband doesn’t have any other wives, my gather didn’t have any other wives, not my grandfather and not my great grandfather either.

Would you accept to share your husband with others?
- No, I wouldn’t accept it. I don’t know why some do. But in the west there are many women who are aware of that their husbands have mistresses, and accept that.
This is an odd exchange. Did the interviewer not know that P. Hassan has only one wife? I find the line of questioning somewhat ignorant and disrespectful to P. Sarvath. :(
Old 08-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Courtier

I also reacted to that. I felt some of the questions were irrelevant and I also think that her answers have been edited and 'shortened' by Aftonbladet.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Here's an interview with Princess Sarvath from Swedish Aftonbladet (daily newspaper), published today, that I've translated. It was conducted during her visit to Sweden this weekend. The beautiful picture of her is also by Aftonbladet.

Princess, Muslim and fighter for women’s rights.

Thanks for this interview GrandDuchess. Everytime I read an interview from Princess Sarvath or from Prince Hassan, I always think what a great shame it is that they are not the King and Queen. To me they are the epitome of class and dignity, intelligence and in doing what is right for one's country, not just oneself.

The other interesting thing I noticed from this interview is that in about 500-800 words, not a single word was spent on superficial qualities like how Princess Sarvath looks or what she wears. Instead, every single word was spent really discussing what Princess Sarvath feels on issues affecting her life and her country and her beliefs, not about how she looks in Prada's latest collection.

Quote:
Can once really be a princess, Muslim and feminist?
- I don’t really like the word feminist. Feminism means a certain amount of struggle, and I was born into a family were we didn’t have to struggle for equality. I think that some feminists are seen as aggressive, and one is afraid of that.
I really like/admire how Princess Sarvath didn't try to down play her priviliged background. She is honest and up front that she lead a good life that most of her fellow citizens didn't or wouldn't. Too often I see public figures to make it seem as if they lived humble beginnings when they lived in at least average if not very nice homes.

Quote:
Who did the children cry out with?
- It depended, in the night they came to us both, because we sleep in the same bed. If I was travelling, my husband put the children to bed at night, red them a story and drove them to school.
It seems so domestic for royals! But nice to hear that Princess Sarvath and Prince Hassan tried so hard to give their children normal upbringings with their parents playing a big role in their lives. Obviously even though Prince Hassan was to be King one day while his children were growing up, and as much as he worked hard for Jordan, his family were his first priority. King Hussein could've learned something from his brother on this one.

Closed Thread