King Abdullah, Queen Rania & Family: Current News & Photos XIII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyonnaise

Serene Highness
Welcome to thread thirteen of Current News and Pictures of King Abdullah, Queen Rania, and family.

The previous thread can be found here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f83/king-abdullah-queen-rania-current-news-photos-xii-8261.html

Please review TRF's Posting Rules and Guidelines before posting: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4920. Violations of these rules may result in a supsension or permanent ban from the forum.

IMPORTANT: all photos must be credited when posted. As well, older photos must be hosted at other site such as Photobucket or Image Shack. Please see the ammended attachment policy: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ad.php?p=223503

King Abdullah of Jordan on his first visit to the United States since the triple suicide bombing in Amman on November addresses a National Prayer luncheon in Washington DC Thursday 02 February 2006.

from abaca

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 698
Thanks to all who posted the link to the video of QR at Davos, however there was nothing original in there, just the usual rhetoric politically and the 'I am just an ordinary Mom' bit we have seen before. I did note that the US journalists were trying to make a big deal about Rania before she got married with special emphasis on the word 'business' and 'banking executive', however, I think everyone knows she held a very junior position after graduation - she certainly wasn't an 'Alan Greenspan' figure as they constantly try to make out. That irritates me.:mad:

lizz70 said:
Thanks to all who posted the link to the video of QR at Davos, however there was nothing original in there, just the usual rhetoric politically and the 'I am just an ordinary Mom' bit we have seen before. I did note that the US journalists were trying to make a big deal about Rania before she got married with special emphasis on the word 'business' and 'banking executive', however, I think everyone knows she held a very junior position after graduation - she certainly wasn't an 'Alan Greenspan' figure as they constantly try to make out. That irritates me.:mad:

she graduated in 1991 and married in 1993 - she was working for no more than 2years before she married. what sort of executive position could she have accomplished in 2 years?

fanletizia said:
King Abdullah of Jordan on his first visit to the United States since the triple suicide bombing in Amman on November addresses a National Prayer luncheon in Washington DC Thursday 02 February 2006.

from abaca

more pictures of the event from Abaca

King condemns 'needless injury of Islamic sensibilities'

WASHINGTON (Petra) — His Majesty King Abdullah on Thursday condemned “needless desecration and injury of Islamic sensibilities” and cartoons “misrepresenting and vilifying” the Prophet Mohammad.

In a speech at the National Prayer Luncheon in Washington, DC, King Abdullah told more than 3,000 US and international thinkers, religious leaders and politicians that he also condemns “extremists, of any religion, who teach intolerance and violence, mutilate scripture to advance their cause.”
http://www.jordantimes.com/fri/homenews/homenews1.htm

I seriously hope this controversy blows over. We've just begun hearing about this in Canada.

screen caps from the Nightline interview

Thanks for the pictures and article Humera :)

lizz70 you've just talked about a link with the interview of queen rania in davos... please would you just tell me where it is, i just can find it on this thread, neither on the one that preceeded.. Thanks

from facetoface

Last edited:
Abdullah should really stick to the beard.
thanks for the photos, though!

oh i am so glad i am not the only one who thinks he should keep the beard, little star!!

he looks so much more dignified with the beard

clymène said:
lizz70 you've just talked about a link with the interview of queen rania in davos... please would you just tell me where it is, i just can find it on this thread, neither on the one that preceeded.. Thanks

Hi Clymene, just go to

www.abcnews.go.com/GMA

have a look for the QR video. Hope this helps :)

Thanks lizz70 I couldn't find it on the nightline list, i think it has already been delayed, but thnaks anyway for your help!!

It's me again. It's okay, i could find it. Thanks! I didn't notice the "full video list" on the page the first time... Nothing really new, but quite a charming queen indeed... and yes veeeeeery serious!

King Abdullah II of Jordan at the University of Mississippi, Feb 3, 2006

from yahoo/ap

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 456
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 401
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 492
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 494
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 441
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 499
King Meets US Businessmen and Investors
Washington, Feb. 3(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II stressed that achieving economic prosperity in the Middle East would reconcile between nations and enable them to move forward and achieve accomplishments. During his meeting in Washington on Friday with a number of businessmen and investors specialized in garments industries, the King expressed support to the trends of the investors and businessmen to increase investments in the Kingdom through cooperation with their Jordanian counterparts.

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/03/30379600.htm

Petra pictures:

Does anyone know how Queen and the King have reacted to the whole issure surrounding the Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) cartoon?Any statement? Any public message?

~*~Humera~*~ said:
screen caps from the Nightline interview

When was this interview on?

Last edited by a moderator:
nightline was on wednesday night...

it's so funny because the next day they did an interview of angelina jolie at davos and i remembered how I was thinking how interesting it would have been if she and rania had met.

I read that one of the Jordanian papers even printed some of the cartoons and the editor was fired, (same thing happened with one of the French newspapers)
So far I think the Jordanian government and King Abdullah are doing what most other Muslim countries have done, they have summoned Danish and other European envoys to lodge protests and the heads of state are condemning the cartoons personally. Infact King Abdullah had the chance to express his opinion at the interfaith prayer luncheon in Washington.

madonna23 said:
nightline was on wednesday night...

it's so funny because the next day they did an interview of angelina jolie at davos and i remembered how I was thinking how interesting it would have been if she and rania had met.

You are so right about this one. I reckon it would have been a showdown but it seems Angelina and Brad were the 'cause celebre' at Davos!

Try to find P Ali :p

he is accompying KA in his visit to USA

photos are from Yahoo and Newscom

Attachments

• rtrlive208684.jpg
    rtrlive208684.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 227
  • rtrlive208696.jpg
    rtrlive208696.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 218
  • rtrlive208694.jpg
    rtrlive208694.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 273
  • safasf.jpg
    safasf.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 277
  • aXdZX.jpg
    aXdZX.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 271
Little_star said:
"he looks so much more dignified with the beard"

Definitely.

madonna23, you're right. Personally I think that was a terrible decision. The story is here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4680948.stm

Again, Abdullah should actually DO something about freedom of speech and democracy in Jordan instead of skipping off on overseas trips every couple of weeks or so. What these editors did was not outrageous at all. It just goes to show that the King is full of hot air when he makes speeches about human rights - mainly to Western audiences.

there is freedom of speech and there's abuse of freedom.
Thats why many countries have hate-laws.
The Jordanian editor was fired and jailed according to Jordanian press laws against insulting religion.
I personally am against the decision to jail the man. But knowing that Jordan is still and Arab and Muslim country, the expect the reaction there to be more dramatic than it would be elsewhere (vs. a non-Muslim country like France where one of the editors who reprinted the cartoons was fired)
I have read a few news stories on the point the Jordanian editor was trying to make and he could've made it just as well without reprinting the cartoons. If he was appealing for calm and arguing against violence he could've made the point without offending anyone.
In Canada we've had Muslim leaders and others denounce the cartoons in a calm and rational manner, without having to wave the cartoons in everyone's face. I dont want anyone to commit violence or be jailed. But I'd rather not see the cartoons in every publication and on tv. That only serves to flame peoples' emotions further.

Last edited:
I agree with you about not being obliged to reprint cartoons etc but to be honest, people could have got them from the internet. I think the editors in question were using this as sort of a test case to see how far they could go with regard to the laws and also, they did make the point in their editorials that this was a stupid, offensive thing to do but no more offensive than other images that people get bombarded with every day and tried to calm the situation down.

I still believe that Jordan has over reacted by arresting these people, they weren't preaching hatred against anyone, rather, they were taking a more considered, moderate approach to the whole issue of freedom of expression etc. I still think whoever drew these cartoons was rather dumb for not realising how offensive people would find them - or maybe they did?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom