The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Courtier

nightline was on wednesday night...

it's so funny because the next day they did an interview of angelina jolie at davos and i remembered how I was thinking how interesting it would have been if she and rania had met.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

I read that one of the Jordanian papers even printed some of the cartoons and the editor was fired, (same thing happened with one of the French newspapers)
So far I think the Jordanian government and King Abdullah are doing what most other Muslim countries have done, they have summoned Danish and other European envoys to lodge protests and the heads of state are condemning the cartoons personally. Infact King Abdullah had the chance to express his opinion at the interfaith prayer luncheon in Washington.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Courtier

the editor was arrested according to the bbc.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
nightline was on wednesday night...

it's so funny because the next day they did an interview of angelina jolie at davos and i remembered how I was thinking how interesting it would have been if she and rania had met.
You are so right about this one. I reckon it would have been a showdown but it seems Angelina and Brad were the 'cause celebre' at Davos!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Courtier

Try to find P Ali :p

he is accompying KA in his visit to USA

photos are from Yahoo and Newscom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rtrlive208684.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	226537   Click image for larger version

Name:	rtrlive208696.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	226538   Click image for larger version

Name:	rtrlive208694.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	226539   Click image for larger version

Name:	safasf.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	226540  

Click image for larger version

Name:	aXdZX.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	226541  
And there does not come a moment when I do not look into the sky or indeed at anything beautiful and am not reminded of him whom I loved most in life and find a joy in the knowledge that .....he is finally reunited with Her whom I loved most
Old 02-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

"he looks so much more dignified with the beard"

Definitely.

madonna23, you're right. Personally I think that was a terrible decision. The story is here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4680948.stm
Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"he looks so much more dignified with the beard"

Definitely.

madonna23, you're right. Personally I think that was a terrible decision. The story is here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4680948.stm
Again, Abdullah should actually DO something about freedom of speech and democracy in Jordan instead of skipping off on overseas trips every couple of weeks or so. What these editors did was not outrageous at all. It just goes to show that the King is full of hot air when he makes speeches about human rights - mainly to Western audiences.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

there is freedom of speech and there's abuse of freedom.
Thats why many countries have hate-laws.
The Jordanian editor was fired and jailed according to Jordanian press laws against insulting religion.
I personally am against the decision to jail the man. But knowing that Jordan is still and Arab and Muslim country, the expect the reaction there to be more dramatic than it would be elsewhere (vs. a non-Muslim country like France where one of the editors who reprinted the cartoons was fired)
I have read a few news stories on the point the Jordanian editor was trying to make and he could've made it just as well without reprinting the cartoons. If he was appealing for calm and arguing against violence he could've made the point without offending anyone.
In Canada we've had Muslim leaders and others denounce the cartoons in a calm and rational manner, without having to wave the cartoons in everyone's face. I dont want anyone to commit violence or be jailed. But I'd rather not see the cartoons in every publication and on tv. That only serves to flame peoples' emotions further.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Nobility

I agree with you about not being obliged to reprint cartoons etc but to be honest, people could have got them from the internet. I think the editors in question were using this as sort of a test case to see how far they could go with regard to the laws and also, they did make the point in their editorials that this was a stupid, offensive thing to do but no more offensive than other images that people get bombarded with every day and tried to calm the situation down.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Nobility

I still believe that Jordan has over reacted by arresting these people, they weren't preaching hatred against anyone, rather, they were taking a more considered, moderate approach to the whole issue of freedom of expression etc. I still think whoever drew these cartoons was rather dumb for not realising how offensive people would find them - or maybe they did?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Well let's face it, if similar cartoons had been printed in KSA, a worse fate than arrest would have probably faced the editors.
That entire region needs to sort its freedom of expression/speech laws out.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Well let's face it, if similar cartoons ahd been printed in KSA, a worse fate than arrest would have probably faced the eidtors.
That entire region needs to srot its freedom of expression/speech laws out.
KSA (where I have lived by the way) and their royal family is even worse as far as moral probity goes than Jordan. Editors there would not even have considered printing these cartoons.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

"KSA (where I have lived by the way) and their royal family is even worse as far as moral probity goes than Jordan. Editors there would not even have considered printing these cartoons."

If they had it would be their lives at stake,not their jobs.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Nobility

This is why they wouldn't have even thought of printing them Nothing new about one of the most repressive countries on earth:(
Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Well let's face it, if similar cartoons had been printed in KSA, a worse fate than arrest would have probably faced the editors.
That entire region needs to sort its freedom of expression/speech laws out.
sorry little-star but how the freedom of experssion/speech to do with offincive cartoons about the prophet ?!!!

I think what the king did is the best for his country .

and KSA is free to do what they want in thier country it is their country not ours , the low of any country for thier people not for the people in another country
Old 02-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

"sorry little-star but how the freedom of experssion/speech to do with offincive cartoons about the prophet ?!!!"

Unfortunately that's how freedom of speech works. I've seen offensive cartoons mocking Jews plenty of times in Arab news media. No uproar about that.
But we're off topic.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Nobility

I just can't believe people were stupid enough to publish these cartoons in the first place. It is very clear that in the current climate, it would just be adding fuel to the fire. I am sorry about all the needless trouble this whole incident has caused.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
"sorry little-star but how the freedom of experssion/speech to do with offincive cartoons about the prophet ?!!!"

Unfortunately that's how freedom of speech works. I've seen offensive cartoons mocking Jews plenty of times in Arab news media. No uproar about that.
But we're off topic.
An dplenty of satirical cartoons about Arabs, Jews and I don't know who else, in the Western Press. However, I do think that regardless of where you are from, some things are sacrosanct and mocking other people's faiths is juvenile and uncivilised - regardless of which faith they practise. Back onto topic........
Old 02-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:

But we're off topic.
I know the freedom of speech works like that in the west , but in my country I can't say or print any thing offincive to a specific group live in my country ( and I don't need to do ) , and I think king Abdallah did the right thing for his country and I don't think he did that because he is a muslim I think he did that as a king who show his recpect to the feeling of his people and I sure he will do it agine even if it is not related to muslims but also to any group in his country from any religion .
Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

From what I've heard the Danish cartoonists were looking to attract some sort of reaction. Im not sure they knew it'd blow up in their faces.
Its was a stupid, stupid thing to do. Especially given the protests with regard to the Quran incident at Guantanamo.
I should also add, the point about offending cartoons in the Arab media is valid. But you'd never see any ridiculing the Christian or Jewish faith given how revered Jesus and Moses are as prophets in Islam and the Islamic recognition of the Bible and Torah as holy books.