The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley
I am in my mid fifties, and I have friends, real friends, who are my age, but also ones who are in their thirties, and forties, and sixties, and seventies, and even some in their eighties, and there are even a three or four in their nineties
Wow. . .I need to find some hip, new friends in their 90s!

Quote:
It is much more to do with like mindedness. Let's remember P.Hassan's controverisal remark about the meeting of minds: " if you have a mind, I would like to meet it!"
This is true. And sometimes there is just an inexplicable meeting of the spirits, as though destiny or fate had a hand.

I like P. Hassan's comment.

Quote:
I also get the feeling that she is not very comfortable around people of her own age as well, wherever they may hail from, and I mean other Arabs here as well. Being a Kuwaiti born Palestinian refugee gives a person a very definite and perhaps different horizons and outlook, or so I should assume.
It must be difficult for her at times, as though she is neither fish nor fowl.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I don't see the similarities--but then again, I really don't follow Letizia. Did I miss something? Is the european media trying to promote some sort of "style war" (who is more stylish?) between them? I mean, some of these shots are pretty lame; QR wearing a yellow outfit one day and Letizia wearing a similar shade in a photo taken a year later..... So they wore the same color??? Big deal. I really don't see the resemblance or need to contrast the two. It was just a strange thing to stumble upon.
I guess they could be similar. They both have thin frames, angular faces, pretty, modern, killer dressers, sometimes similar hair... But by no means are they twins, and their styles, aside from being modern and glamorous, aren't that similar.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Gentry

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
I guess they could be similar. They both have thin frames, angular faces, pretty, modern, killer dressers, sometimes similar hair... But by no means are they twins, and their styles, aside from being modern and glamorous, aren't that similar.
Letizia has been always a natural beauty; Rania has enhanced her looks through plastic surgeries and botox injections. This is not to say that Rania was that ugly...Also, Letizia used to have a good taste in clothing since the time she was a journalist (see her pre-marriage pics ), while Rania before coronation especially, she did not have good taste. But rania catches up and now has good fashion advisors and make up stylists.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Serene Highness

Now I've got to look up Letizia while she was a journalist because my curiousity is picqued. I really know so little about her. I suppose it would make some sense--if the media is looking for material--to compare the two as they have similar "looks" sometimes and are close to the same age???? Or is Letizia much younger? Queen Rania just turned 35.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen2005
Letizia has been always a natural beauty; Rania has enhanced her looks through plastic surgeries and botox injections. This is not to say that Rania was that ugly...Also, Letizia used to have a good taste in clothing since the time she was a journalist (see her pre-marriage pics ), while Rania before coronation especially, she did not have good taste. But rania catches up and now has good fashion advisors and make up stylists.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Courtier

MS, I think Letizia is about 2 years younger than Rania. I did see some photos myself of the 2 dressed in similar clothing, and at first glance, they could have appeared (IMO) to be related. That was just first glance. However, when you see pictures of the two, there isn't really any physical similarities between them. I think that is all I am going to say on the subject because I don't want to turn KA and Rania's thread into another Letizia vs. Rania. I will say this, to my knowledge, Rania hasn't had any botox injections. At least there isn't any proof to that. She did have her nose done as many of us have previously discussed.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Images from seeger, 6th of September

Queen Rania visited a Secondary School
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00146392.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	191037   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00146393.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	191038  
Old 09-08-2005, 02:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
you know at the beginning of their reign (the first 2 or 3 years) QR and KA had an amazingly packed schedule and they went on state visits together. And they continue to accompany each other or state and working visits. But we do see them performing duties separately much of the time. I think that way they can cover a lot more ground than if they were to be together all the time.
This year especially, because Queen Rania gave birth to Prince Hashem at the end of January, she stayed home much of the time to be with her family which is why we saw King Abdullah alone on his visits abroad.
They do spend time together in private, there are lots of family pictures, vacation pictures etc.
They will also be together in New York this month.
thanks for the explanation Humera. good to know they'll be together soon---though seems weird they will be meeting in US not Jordan. they must be really busy.

as for the Letizia&Rania resemblance, i have to admit they look similar sometimes, esp. when you don't know them well, you can be confused.
there are some pictures of L&R in similar style in the Royal Fashion board showing them in similar dress. to me, Rania's style is more feminine and lovely, while Letizia's is more businesslike, she wore suits too often, imho.

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 09-08-2005, 03:53 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

how about the bbc intervew...
Old 09-08-2005, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Jordan's King Abdullah to Address Catholic University Law School on Reclaiming Moderate Islam

9/7/2005 1:43:00 PM

To: Assignment Desk, Daybook Editor

Contact: Merissa Khurma of the Embassy of Jordan, 202-265-1606; Tom Haederle of Catholic University of America, 202-319-5438

News Advisory:

His Majesty King Abdullah II, king of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, will deliver an address: Traditional Islam: The Path to Peace at The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law at noon on Tuesday, Sept. 13, in the law buildings William J. Byron, S.J. Auditorium, Washington D.C.

The invitation-only event is open to media coverage.

The kings' remarks will build upon recent efforts to enhance understanding about the true tenets and teachings of Islam. In July 2005, as a result of the International Islamic Conference hosted by King Abdullah II in Amman, more than 180 scholars representing 45 countries signed a final declaration unanimously condemning the practice known as takfir (calling others apostates) that is used by extremists to justify violence. The declaration also recognized the legitimacy of all eight of the traditional schools of Islamic religious law from the Sunni, Shii and Ibadi branches of Islam, and identified their common principles and beliefs. It defined the necessary qualifications and conditions for issuing fatwas (religious directives), contrasting them to the illegitimacy of so-called fatwas justifying terrorism that are issued outside of the traditional schools of Islamic religious law and in violation of Islams core principles.

The Sept. 13 lecture will be the only official address given by King Abdullah II during his two-day swing through Washington. En route to the United States, King Abdullah also will meet with Pope Benedict XVI to build on the relations that Jordan had established with Pope John Paul II, and to discuss ways in which Muslims and Christians can continue to work together for peace, tolerance and coexistence.

King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein assumed his constitutional powers as monarch of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on Feb. 7, 1999, the day his father, the late King Hussein, passed away. Born in Amman in 1962, he began his primary education at the Islamic Educational College in Amman and later attended private schools in England and America. Prior to his current position, King Abdullah II spent many years in the military holding various ranks, among them commander of the Royal Jordanian Special Forces and special operations commander.

The kings' address at CUA is an initiative of the Columbus School of Laws Interdisciplinary Program in Law and Religion, which extended the invitation and arranged the kings visit. The program was created to provide a forum for study, research and public discussion of issues arising at the nexus of law and religion.

A live Web cast of King Abdullahs lecture will be available at http://www.law.edu

Media Information

Coverage of this event is welcome but media representatives MUST contact the law schools public affairs office to register and comply with security protocol for the kings' visit. Space inside the auditorium will be reserved only for media outlets that pre-register and is subject to availability. The Byron auditorium will open early on the morning of Sept. 13 for television news set-up. A mult box will be available and a pooled audio feed is anticipated; news outlets must supply their own power. Print reporters who pre-register are welcome to attend the speech; others may watch it live over the Internet at http://www.law.edu.

Outlets that have not checked in and set up by 9 a.m. will lose their spot in the auditorium.

Call law school public affairs director Tom Haederle (CUA) at 202-319-5438 or Merissa Khurma (press attach, Embassy of Jordan) at 202-265-1606 to reserve space for the event and to determine technical needs.

http://www.usnewswire.com/
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=52799
Old 09-08-2005, 06:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"I don't think that for any 44-46 size (14-16) is an average one ,even for the eastern countries"

Well you thought wrong then, the average size in the UK is a 16.

It might be that I'm wrong ,but rania lost at laest 6sizes from her photo engagement,if she's now thin,so before she was shubby,and she went through size 8 and 10 and in 2000,and in 2002 she was skeletic,she gained some weight last year before pregnency,but she's back now to her very skinny body ,and if all this is not a yoyo weight,so we don't have the same dictionnary
Old 09-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil Monkey
even here 14 is not Average,Average is 10 here and most of the girls I know starve themselves to become an 8 or even 6....
I share the same point of view,for me size 14-16 is XL or XXL,and a size 10(40) is a not average:)
Old 09-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Tami_T, whether or not you believe the average woman is a size 14-16 is irrelevant, most studies prove otherwise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3616904.stm
BRITISH WOMEN ARE TOO FAT FOR MY CLOTHES
By Greig Box/Amber Graafland Mirror Fashion Editor
GERMAN fashion guru Karl Lagerfeld has sparked outrage by calling British women too fat for his outfits.

Lagerfeld, 66, threw a tantrum when High Street chain H&M enlarged them to fit the average UK female shape - size 14-16.

The designer - once heavily overweight until he lost seven stone - sneered: "What I really didn't like was that certain fashion sizes were made bigger.

"What I created was fashion for slim, slender people. That was the original idea."

Lagerfeld, who runs fashion label Chanel, has vowed never to work for H&M again.

MP Ann Widdecombe, who starred in ITV weight-loss show Celebrity Fit Club, called him "barmy and rude".

Advertisement

And H&M has demanded he apologise to its customers. Marketing director Jorgen Andersson said: "I can see why the women of Britain feel upset about what Karl said and I think he should say sorry to them.

"Fashion should be fun for everyone, so I can understand why people got insulted.

"I don't understand why he said what he said because we've been very clear from the beginning it was to be a full-size range.""

Tory MP Ann, 57, added: "Lagerfeld's comments are absolutely barmy.

"The fact is most women are size 14 or over, so why should they be denied the joy of his fashion? I think it's so hideously rude that women should tell him where to go.""

Abi Bloom, who runs the Hughes Models agency for larger women, said: "His comments sadden rather than surprise me.

"These designers feel it's beneath them to design for real sizes."

Lagerfeld spent 10 months working on the range of affordable outfits for Swedish store chain H&M.

He even oversaw the huge advertising campaign, down to choosing the size eight model who fronted it.

At the launch, he said: "You don't have to be rich to look good now."

The range has proved a success. But after the row over the amended outfits, he vowed: "Incomprehensible decisions made by the management have removed any desire I had to do something like that again."

AMBER GRAAFLAND Mirror Fashion Editor

KARL Lagerfeld's made millions as creative director at French fashion house Chanel.

So he knows about making clothes for rich, slim Parisian women. When it comes to Brits, however, his finger's not quite on the pulse.

The average size here is 14-16. He calls us fat, so clearly doesn't have much respect for our voluptuous figures. Yet he still wants us to buy his H&M clothes.

Having lost seven stone he thinks he's in a position to judge. So much so, he's just released a diet book to share his apparently infinite wisdom.

We can only assume this new-found knowledge is to blame for his stunning arrogance.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...name_page.html
Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Tami_T, whether or not you believe the average woman is a size 14-16 is irrelevant, most studies prove otherwise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3616904.stm
BRITISH WOMEN ARE TOO FAT FOR MY CLOTHES
By Greig Box/Amber Graafland Mirror Fashion Editor
GERMAN fashion guru Karl Lagerfeld has sparked outrage by calling British women too fat for his outfits.

Lagerfeld, 66, threw a tantrum when High Street chain H&M enlarged them to fit the average UK female shape - size 14-16.

The designer - once heavily overweight until he lost seven stone - sneered: "What I really didn't like was that certain fashion sizes were made bigger.

"What I created was fashion for slim, slender people. That was the original idea."

Lagerfeld, who runs fashion label Chanel, has vowed never to work for H&M again.

MP Ann Widdecombe, who starred in ITV weight-loss show Celebrity Fit Club, called him "barmy and rude".

Advertisement

And H&M has demanded he apologise to its customers. Marketing director Jorgen Andersson said: "I can see why the women of Britain feel upset about what Karl said and I think he should say sorry to them.

"Fashion should be fun for everyone, so I can understand why people got insulted.

"I don't understand why he said what he said because we've been very clear from the beginning it was to be a full-size range.""

Tory MP Ann, 57, added: "Lagerfeld's comments are absolutely barmy.

"The fact is most women are size 14 or over, so why should they be denied the joy of his fashion? I think it's so hideously rude that women should tell him where to go.""

Abi Bloom, who runs the Hughes Models agency for larger women, said: "His comments sadden rather than surprise me.

"These designers feel it's beneath them to design for real sizes."

Lagerfeld spent 10 months working on the range of affordable outfits for Swedish store chain H&M.

He even oversaw the huge advertising campaign, down to choosing the size eight model who fronted it.

At the launch, he said: "You don't have to be rich to look good now."

The range has proved a success. But after the row over the amended outfits, he vowed: "Incomprehensible decisions made by the management have removed any desire I had to do something like that again."

AMBER GRAAFLAND Mirror Fashion Editor

KARL Lagerfeld's made millions as creative director at French fashion house Chanel.

So he knows about making clothes for rich, slim Parisian women. When it comes to Brits, however, his finger's not quite on the pulse.

The average size here is 14-16. He calls us fat, so clearly doesn't have much respect for our voluptuous figures. Yet he still wants us to buy his H&M clothes.

Having lost seven stone he thinks he's in a position to judge. So much so, he's just released a diet book to share his apparently infinite wisdom.

We can only assume this new-found knowledge is to blame for his stunning arrogance.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...name_page.html
Wow thank you for that,I am a size 10 and I've always thought I was fat...U gave me some hope :p
Old 09-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/07/27367500.htm

Queen Rania chairs first meeting of Royal Health Awareness Society....1st LD</STRONG></FONT>

Old 09-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
thanks for the explanation Humera. good to know they'll be together soon---though seems weird they will be meeting in US not Jordan. they must be really busy.

as for the Letizia&Rania resemblance, i have to admit they look similar sometimes, esp. when you don't know them well, you can be confused.
there are some pictures of L&R in similar style in the Royal Fashion board showing them in similar dress. to me, Rania's style is more feminine and lovely, while Letizia's is more businesslike, she wore suits too often, imho.
your welcome.
Though Im not sure I understand what you mean by meeting together in US and not Jordan. Are you referring to only public duties or being together privately?
I agree about the Rania and Letizia thing. Letizia's style is very business like, she wears a lot of tailored suites and cuts. Rania's style is quite different, more feminine, like you say. Thats evident sepecially in the women's formal wear.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Now I've got to look up Letizia while she was a journalist because my curiousity is picqued. I really know so little about her. I suppose it would make some sense--if the media is looking for material--to compare the two as they have similar "looks" sometimes and are close to the same age???? Or is Letizia much younger? Queen Rania just turned 35.
I actually saw the pictures you're referring to several months ago and also posted some of them in the "Royals with similar styles" thread.
If you take a look at that thread there are pictures of many royal women who dont necessarily have the same style but perhaps some of them have worn the same jacket, or skirt, or pants etc.
I think thats the extent of the contrast between Rania and Letizia. I dont find many similarities between the two women and their styles, like florawindsor mentioned, are quite different. Wearing the same colour jacket or the same scarf or a similar hairstyle doesnt mean the women being compared have much in common. I think its only meant to be a superficial comaprison.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

Well, that's helpful as I have now looked at photos of Queen Rania and Princess Letizia and don't find a lot of similarities--apart from the occasional outfit or hairstyle.

It will be interesting to watch the NYC visit. I, too, was wondering if it was my imagination or both were doing many more solo visits than before. Your explanation makes sense though; I think, long before their divorce, Diana also explained "while it's nice to do things together, the fact is we have so many requests we simply accomplish much more this way." She was referring to her solo trips.

All the behind the scenes stories of the British monarchy which occured before and after Diana's death were quite revealing. I found their protocol and planning quite rigid (perhaps needful but rigid nonetheless). Sitting down twice a year with their advisors and calendars and marking down all the events for the next six months.....just seemed incredibly structured. Do KA and QR sit down and do the same thing? It also seemed to me the courtiers in the British court ran/run the monarchy; I don't get that feeling with the JRF. But perhaps that's because its monarch actually has power and QEII, much as I admire her, is really a figurehead. I just get the sense--because of KA's actual power and age--their approach to scheduling might be more flexible. And they also seem to take into account their children. I know it's been mentioned before but that photo of Charles seeing his mother after she'd been gone for a long time and he was quite small and she barely acknowledged him was so sad. I think one of the nicest things in the evolution of some monarchies--like that of KA/QR--is that they do take their kids' needs into account and either include them on their trips or make sure their schedules are such they are not away for excessive lengths of time. Now, I'm thinking aloud; perhaps that, too, could be a factor with their schedules and not seeming to be doing quite as much together. KA is gone a lot; I don't think QR, with four children at such impressionable ages, would care too much for leaving them alone, without any parent for very long. I certainly can't see someone dictating to her she had to leave them for weeks in a row, as Diana was--which is a good thing, IMO. All children, even those with royal parents, need to be prioritized accordingly and the most precious gift any parent can give their offspring is time and attention. Their attention, not the attention of nannies and other help.

Final thought. QN writes she was taken aside and told her duties would consist of cutting ribbons and more "fluffy, less substantive duties." An article in Vanity Fair said QR could not be QR had QN not preceded her, and made it acceptable to be an activist queen. Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Serene Highness

Brava for QR! and for KA!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It will be interesting to watch the NYC visit. I, too, was wondering if it was my imagination or both were doing many more solo visits than before. Your explanation makes sense though; I think, long before their divorce, Diana also explained "while it's nice to do things together, the fact is we have so many requests we simply accomplish much more this way." She was referring to her solo trips.
Thats true. Also, if we're talking about conferences/summits and other events related to causes that QR is involved in, ie. women, children, poverty, business, and organizations that she's a part of, like the osteo fund, WEF (young leaders) etc. then obviously we should expect her to do things alone.
I think this year though, things were different because of Prince Hashem's birth and Rania choosing to stay home much of the time.
While Im no expert at the way the Jordanian royal court works, from what we see of the royals anyway, I'd say that its not as rigid as the British court, but then few monarchies today are!
KA and QR's offices must be quite independent of each other since both of have many initiatives they're involved in separately. Thats not to say that the two offices dont co-ordinate with each other. They would have to in order to figure out their schedule of solo and joint duties.
If you have a look at KA's site, under "Royal Court and Palaces" you can see where KA and QR's offices are located (Basman & Al-Qasr Al Sagheer)
http://www.kingabdullah.jo/main.php?...0&lang_hmka1=1

Quote:
Final thought. QN writes she was taken aside and told her duties would consist of cutting ribbons and more "fluffy, less substantive duties." An article in Vanity Fair said QR could not be QR had QN not preceded her, and made it acceptable to be an activist queen. Any thoughts on this?
Im not that familiar with the extent of Noor's activities during her early as Queen. I think it is safe to say that she did become quite active, but not from the very beginning. Perhaps because, as you say, she wasn't expected to do that much. It took her a while to figure out how to make her presence felt. But I think that in terms of the causes they're involved in, both Rania and Noor are pretty different. I get the feeling that Noor never really pushed the limits by addressing controversial issues involving women and children, maybe because she felt that she was an "outsider" or maybe King Hussein didnt want her getting involved in such issues. I also get the feeling, from all I've read and seen, that Noor was more of a typical consort. Whereas Rania appears to be on an equal footing with her husband. In the BBC doc. I saw last year, she and Abdullah were asked about their marriage and Rania replied that they had a "marriage of equals." I think there's a lot of truth to that. King Hussien, having been married to four different women, was a more traditional monarch. He was also much older than Noor. Naturally his age and experience made him seem like he was in charge.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

I only started following the activities of QN in her early years as Queen a few years ago. Roland Dallas, in his book "King Hussein" wrote: "She was a total stranger to the life of a monarch.....yet she quickly got the hang of it. She did not try to exert any wifely influence on the king in order to promote, for example, political ideas which she espoused. At the start of the marriage, she was very much the wife of the king; doing everything in tandem with him. 'Sometimes the king would be irritated by her,' says a close observer. 'He could show that in front of his aides. But she is a strong character, too, and ambitious, and she wanted, and she got, to establish herself as the queen--not equal to the king but not lower than the king. After a few years, she started to create her own personality, her own office. And now, she is working not in competition with the king but parallel to the king in non-political matters.'"

Queen Rania and King Abdullah seem to have a similar arrangement in that she espouses and supports causes through her own office. The true extent to which a queen can exert influence in matters of policy is anyone's guess but the Vanity Fair piece wrote QR's relationship with KA is "far different than the one QN had with her husband." The gist was she plays a bigger consulting role than QN ever did. Suffice to say, they took over the reins of the monarchy as a couple at the same time, while QN came on board after KH had been ruler for many years so it is likely more a partnership of equals.