King Abdullah & Queen Rania- News & Photos VIII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lil Monkey said:
even here 14 is not Average,Average is 10 here and most of the girls I know starve themselves to become an 8 or even 6....

I share the same point of view,for me size 14-16 is XL or XXL,and a size 10(40) is a not average:)

Tami_T, whether or not you believe the average woman is a size 14-16 is irrelevant, most studies prove otherwise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3616904.stm
BRITISH WOMEN ARE TOO FAT FOR MY CLOTHES
By Greig Box/Amber Graafland Mirror Fashion Editor
GERMAN fashion guru Karl Lagerfeld has sparked outrage by calling British women too fat for his outfits.

Lagerfeld, 66, threw a tantrum when High Street chain H&M enlarged them to fit the average UK female shape - size 14-16.

The designer - once heavily overweight until he lost seven stone - sneered: "What I really didn't like was that certain fashion sizes were made bigger.

"What I created was fashion for slim, slender people. That was the original idea."

Lagerfeld, who runs fashion label Chanel, has vowed never to work for H&M again.

MP Ann Widdecombe, who starred in ITV weight-loss show Celebrity Fit Club, called him "barmy and rude".

Advertisement

And H&M has demanded he apologise to its customers. Marketing director Jorgen Andersson said: "I can see why the women of Britain feel upset about what Karl said and I think he should say sorry to them.

"Fashion should be fun for everyone, so I can understand why people got insulted.

"I don't understand why he said what he said because we've been very clear from the beginning it was to be a full-size range.""

Tory MP Ann, 57, added: "Lagerfeld's comments are absolutely barmy.

"The fact is most women are size 14 or over, so why should they be denied the joy of his fashion? I think it's so hideously rude that women should tell him where to go.""

Abi Bloom, who runs the Hughes Models agency for larger women, said: "His comments sadden rather than surprise me.

"These designers feel it's beneath them to design for real sizes."

Lagerfeld spent 10 months working on the range of affordable outfits for Swedish store chain H&M.

He even oversaw the huge advertising campaign, down to choosing the size eight model who fronted it.

At the launch, he said: "You don't have to be rich to look good now."

The range has proved a success. But after the row over the amended outfits, he vowed: "Incomprehensible decisions made by the management have removed any desire I had to do something like that again."

AMBER GRAAFLAND Mirror Fashion Editor

KARL Lagerfeld's made millions as creative director at French fashion house Chanel.

So he knows about making clothes for rich, slim Parisian women. When it comes to Brits, however, his finger's not quite on the pulse.

The average size here is 14-16. He calls us fat, so clearly doesn't have much respect for our voluptuous figures. Yet he still wants us to buy his H&M clothes.

Having lost seven stone he thinks he's in a position to judge. So much so, he's just released a diet book to share his apparently infinite wisdom.

We can only assume this new-found knowledge is to blame for his stunning arrogance.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=14923542&method=full&siteid=50143&headline=british-women-are-too-fatfatfatfat-for-my-clothes-name_page.html

Little_star said:
Tami_T, whether or not you believe the average woman is a size 14-16 is irrelevant, most studies prove otherwise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3616904.stm
BRITISH WOMEN ARE TOO FAT FOR MY CLOTHES
By Greig Box/Amber Graafland Mirror Fashion Editor
GERMAN fashion guru Karl Lagerfeld has sparked outrage by calling British women too fat for his outfits.​

Lagerfeld, 66, threw a tantrum when High Street chain H&M enlarged them to fit the average UK female shape - size 14-16.

The designer - once heavily overweight until he lost seven stone - sneered: "What I really didn't like was that certain fashion sizes were made bigger.

"What I created was fashion for slim, slender people. That was the original idea."

Lagerfeld, who runs fashion label Chanel, has vowed never to work for H&M again.

MP Ann Widdecombe, who starred in ITV weight-loss show Celebrity Fit Club, called him "barmy and rude".

Advertisement

And H&M has demanded he apologise to its customers. Marketing director Jorgen Andersson said: "I can see why the women of Britain feel upset about what Karl said and I think he should say sorry to them.

"Fashion should be fun for everyone, so I can understand why people got insulted.

"I don't understand why he said what he said because we've been very clear from the beginning it was to be a full-size range.""

Tory MP Ann, 57, added: "Lagerfeld's comments are absolutely barmy.

"The fact is most women are size 14 or over, so why should they be denied the joy of his fashion? I think it's so hideously rude that women should tell him where to go.""

Abi Bloom, who runs the Hughes Models agency for larger women, said: "His comments sadden rather than surprise me.

"These designers feel it's beneath them to design for real sizes."

Lagerfeld spent 10 months working on the range of affordable outfits for Swedish store chain H&M.

He even oversaw the huge advertising campaign, down to choosing the size eight model who fronted it.

At the launch, he said: "You don't have to be rich to look good now."

The range has proved a success. But after the row over the amended outfits, he vowed: "Incomprehensible decisions made by the management have removed any desire I had to do something like that again."

AMBER GRAAFLAND Mirror Fashion Editor

KARL Lagerfeld's made millions as creative director at French fashion house Chanel.

So he knows about making clothes for rich, slim Parisian women. When it comes to Brits, however, his finger's not quite on the pulse.

The average size here is 14-16. He calls us fat, so clearly doesn't have much respect for our voluptuous figures. Yet he still wants us to buy his H&M clothes.

Having lost seven stone he thinks he's in a position to judge. So much so, he's just released a diet book to share his apparently infinite wisdom.

We can only assume this new-found knowledge is to blame for his stunning arrogance.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=14923542&method=full&siteid=50143&headline=british-women-are-too-fatfatfatfat-for-my-clothes-name_page.html
Wow thank you for that,I am a size 10 and I've always thought I was fat...U gave me some hope :p :D

florawindsor said:
thanks for the explanation Humera. good to know they'll be together soon---though seems weird they will be meeting in US not Jordan. they must be really busy.

as for the Letizia&Rania resemblance, i have to admit they look similar sometimes, esp. when you don't know them well, you can be confused.
there are some pictures of L&R in similar style in the Royal Fashion board showing them in similar dress. to me, Rania's style is more feminine and lovely, while Letizia's is more businesslike, she wore suits too often, imho.

your welcome.
Though Im not sure I understand what you mean by meeting together in US and not Jordan. Are you referring to only public duties or being together privately?
I agree about the Rania and Letizia thing. Letizia's style is very business like, she wears a lot of tailored suites and cuts. Rania's style is quite different, more feminine, like you say. Thats evident sepecially in the women's formal wear.

maryshawn said:
Now I've got to look up Letizia while she was a journalist because my curiousity is picqued. I really know so little about her. I suppose it would make some sense--if the media is looking for material--to compare the two as they have similar "looks" sometimes and are close to the same age???? Or is Letizia much younger? Queen Rania just turned 35.

I actually saw the pictures you're referring to several months ago and also posted some of them in the "Royals with similar styles" thread.
If you take a look at that thread there are pictures of many royal women who dont necessarily have the same style but perhaps some of them have worn the same jacket, or skirt, or pants etc.
I think thats the extent of the contrast between Rania and Letizia. I dont find many similarities between the two women and their styles, like florawindsor mentioned, are quite different. Wearing the same colour jacket or the same scarf or a similar hairstyle doesnt mean the women being compared have much in common. I think its only meant to be a superficial comaprison.

Well, that's helpful as I have now looked at photos of Queen Rania and Princess Letizia and don't find a lot of similarities--apart from the occasional outfit or hairstyle.

It will be interesting to watch the NYC visit. I, too, was wondering if it was my imagination or both were doing many more solo visits than before. Your explanation makes sense though; I think, long before their divorce, Diana also explained "while it's nice to do things together, the fact is we have so many requests we simply accomplish much more this way." She was referring to her solo trips.

All the behind the scenes stories of the British monarchy which occured before and after Diana's death were quite revealing. I found their protocol and planning quite rigid (perhaps needful but rigid nonetheless). Sitting down twice a year with their advisors and calendars and marking down all the events for the next six months.....just seemed incredibly structured. Do KA and QR sit down and do the same thing? It also seemed to me the courtiers in the British court ran/run the monarchy; I don't get that feeling with the JRF. But perhaps that's because its monarch actually has power and QEII, much as I admire her, is really a figurehead. I just get the sense--because of KA's actual power and age--their approach to scheduling might be more flexible. And they also seem to take into account their children. I know it's been mentioned before but that photo of Charles seeing his mother after she'd been gone for a long time and he was quite small and she barely acknowledged him was so sad. I think one of the nicest things in the evolution of some monarchies--like that of KA/QR--is that they do take their kids' needs into account and either include them on their trips or make sure their schedules are such they are not away for excessive lengths of time. Now, I'm thinking aloud; perhaps that, too, could be a factor with their schedules and not seeming to be doing quite as much together. KA is gone a lot; I don't think QR, with four children at such impressionable ages, would care too much for leaving them alone, without any parent for very long. I certainly can't see someone dictating to her she had to leave them for weeks in a row, as Diana was--which is a good thing, IMO. All children, even those with royal parents, need to be prioritized accordingly and the most precious gift any parent can give their offspring is time and attention. Their attention, not the attention of nannies and other help.

Final thought. QN writes she was taken aside and told her duties would consist of cutting ribbons and more "fluffy, less substantive duties." An article in Vanity Fair said QR could not be QR had QN not preceded her, and made it acceptable to be an activist queen. Any thoughts on this?

maryshawn said:
It will be interesting to watch the NYC visit. I, too, was wondering if it was my imagination or both were doing many more solo visits than before. Your explanation makes sense though; I think, long before their divorce, Diana also explained "while it's nice to do things together, the fact is we have so many requests we simply accomplish much more this way." She was referring to her solo trips.

Thats true. Also, if we're talking about conferences/summits and other events related to causes that QR is involved in, ie. women, children, poverty, business, and organizations that she's a part of, like the osteo fund, WEF (young leaders) etc. then obviously we should expect her to do things alone.
I think this year though, things were different because of Prince Hashem's birth and Rania choosing to stay home much of the time.
While Im no expert at the way the Jordanian royal court works, from what we see of the royals anyway, I'd say that its not as rigid as the British court, but then few monarchies today are!
KA and QR's offices must be quite independent of each other since both of have many initiatives they're involved in separately. Thats not to say that the two offices dont co-ordinate with each other. They would have to in order to figure out their schedule of solo and joint duties.
If you have a look at KA's site, under "Royal Court and Palaces" you can see where KA and QR's offices are located (Basman & Al-Qasr Al Sagheer)
http://www.kingabdullah.jo/main.php?main_page=0&lang_hmka1=1

Final thought. QN writes she was taken aside and told her duties would consist of cutting ribbons and more "fluffy, less substantive duties." An article in Vanity Fair said QR could not be QR had QN not preceded her, and made it acceptable to be an activist queen. Any thoughts on this?

Im not that familiar with the extent of Noor's activities during her early as Queen. I think it is safe to say that she did become quite active, but not from the very beginning. Perhaps because, as you say, she wasn't expected to do that much. It took her a while to figure out how to make her presence felt. But I think that in terms of the causes they're involved in, both Rania and Noor are pretty different. I get the feeling that Noor never really pushed the limits by addressing controversial issues involving women and children, maybe because she felt that she was an "outsider" or maybe King Hussein didnt want her getting involved in such issues. I also get the feeling, from all I've read and seen, that Noor was more of a typical consort. Whereas Rania appears to be on an equal footing with her husband. In the BBC doc. I saw last year, she and Abdullah were asked about their marriage and Rania replied that they had a "marriage of equals." I think there's a lot of truth to that. King Hussien, having been married to four different women, was a more traditional monarch. He was also much older than Noor. Naturally his age and experience made him seem like he was in charge.

I only started following the activities of QN in her early years as Queen a few years ago. Roland Dallas, in his book "King Hussein" wrote: "She was a total stranger to the life of a monarch.....yet she quickly got the hang of it. She did not try to exert any wifely influence on the king in order to promote, for example, political ideas which she espoused. At the start of the marriage, she was very much the wife of the king; doing everything in tandem with him. 'Sometimes the king would be irritated by her,' says a close observer. 'He could show that in front of his aides. But she is a strong character, too, and ambitious, and she wanted, and she got, to establish herself as the queen--not equal to the king but not lower than the king. After a few years, she started to create her own personality, her own office. And now, she is working not in competition with the king but parallel to the king in non-political matters.'"

Queen Rania and King Abdullah seem to have a similar arrangement in that she espouses and supports causes through her own office. The true extent to which a queen can exert influence in matters of policy is anyone's guess but the Vanity Fair piece wrote QR's relationship with KA is "far different than the one QN had with her husband." The gist was she plays a bigger consulting role than QN ever did. Suffice to say, they took over the reins of the monarchy as a couple at the same time, while QN came on board after KH had been ruler for many years so it is likely more a partnership of equals.

yes thats exactly what I meant. Of all the royal couples I see, Rania and Abdullah's seems to be a relationship that is one of equals in every sense of the word. I've pointed that out in many threads. I think they're fortunate of have this sort of compatibility and understanding. This is obviously one of the reasons why Rania has settled into her role as Queen very comfortably. The support of her husband and his confidence in her is evident and reflected in the way Rania carries herself and the confidence with which she performs her duties. For a young royal couple with little experience I think they do very well together.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
your welcome.
Though Im not sure I understand what you mean by meeting together in US and not Jordan. Are you referring to only public duties or being together privately?
i mean (as they are going to NYC i assume that) they are meeting for public duties not meeting at their own home to relax with their family, so they must be busy with their job. my poor english:( hope you understand me this time

florawindsor said:
i mean (as they are going to NYC i assume that) they are meeting for public duties not meeting at their own home to relax with their family, so they must be busy with their job. my poor english:( hope you understand me this time

thats okay, your english is just fine. I just wasnt sure what you meant. I guess I meant to say that while KA and QR haven't been performing many duties together in public, it doesnt mean they dont get to spend time together at home. Infact this year Rania stayed home a lot more to be with her family. She even mentioned it in a statement on her website.
But I know what you mean. Like a lot of royal couples they have to perform many duties separately.

lil Monkey said:
Wow thank you for that,I am a size 10 and I've always thought I was fat...U gave me some hope :p :D

I know this is off topic, but you aren't fat. There are women in my country who would give their arms and legs to be a size 10. I personally, have never been smaller than a 10, except when I was a preteen. Throughout my teen age years into my earlier adult years, I maintained a size 10/12. I realize I will never be smaller than a size 10, and would never starve myself to be a size or two less. I am 5'5, and according to the weight charts, a healthy weigh range for me would be between 135-150. I was at 145. It is really sad that society respects woman that are sizes less than a 10, and be critical of us who aren't. It doesn't matter to me how small or how big Rania may get, well as long as it isn't an unhealthy weight, as long as she continues to being the best Queen to Jordan as possible.

Last edited:
sommone said:
I know this is off topic, but you aren't fat. There are women in my country who would give their arms and legs to be a size 10. I personally, have never been smaller than a 10, except when I was a preteen. Throughout my teen age years into my earlier adult years, I maintained a size 10/12. I realize I will never be smaller than a size 10, and would never starve myself to be a size or two less. I am 5'5, and according to the weight charts, a healthy weigh range for me would be between 135-150. I was at 145. It is really sad that society respects woman that are sizes less than a 10, and be critical of us who aren't. It doesn't matter to me how small or how big Rania may get, well as long as it isn't an unhealthy weight, as long as she continues to being the best Queen to Jordan as possible.

Jordanian, and in fact Arab 'high society' set a lot of store on externalities, how someone looks, dresses, the style of their house, the model of their car, what their son's wedding was like and so on. They also like to talk about people , both if they see excesses but also if by their lights people are too simple. It is a difficult situation for those in the public eye.

Last edited:
King Abdullah: al-Qaida has cells in Israel
http://epaper.jpost.com/Daily/client.asp?skin=jpost

Jordanian King Abdullah II told Israeli TV viewers Thursday that al-Qaida is sure to have set up terror cells in their country.

In an excerpt from an interview recorded in Amman with Israel TV, Abdullah said the terror group had established a global presence, which had tarnished the image of Islam.

"I think al-Qaida has planted cells all over the place," Abdullah said. "If they've been able to do it in countries all over the world, then I'm sure it has happened in Israel."

In February 2003, an IDF court jailed a Gaza man for 27 years for training with al-Qaida.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said in the same year that al-Qaida members had infiltrated the Gaza Strip and Lebanon and were working to target Israel. He did not provide details. "The main thing is that the international community works together to stop these extremists," the king said. "Unfortunately for us (they) are taking terrorism in the name of Islam, which is a religion such as Christianity and Judaism that are religions of tolerance, acceptance and of being good to your fellow man."
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1126145970670

King Receives a Number of Ambassadors</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0381 4 0111 King Receives a Number of Ambassadors For Newspapers Use... Amman, Sep. 8(Petra)-- On the occasion of the end of their term of duty in Jordan, His Majesty King Abdullah II received on Thursday Ambassadors of Oman, Yemen, and Algeria Hamad Bin Helal, Ibrahim Udofi and Hadef Bu Thaljeh. During the meeting, the King thanked the ambassadors over their efforts exerted to promote ties between Jordan and their countries in all fields. //Petra// 081523 Local SEP 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/08/27381200.htm

Ukrainian Ambassador Hails King Abdullah Effort</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0515 4 0381 Ukrainian Ambassador Hails King Abdullah Effort Amman, Sep. 8(Petra)-- Ukrainian Ambassador to Jordan Viktor Nagaichuk hailed efforts being exerted by His Majesty King Abdullah II and the Jordanian government to achieve political, social and economic reform in the Kingdom. During a press conference, held on Thursday on the occasion of Ukraine's National Day, the ambassador said that Ukraine looks forward to developing ties with the Middle East countries, particularly with Jordan, which plays a key role towards the region's issues. He also stressed the strong relations between his country and Jordan, expressing hope that His Majesty King Abdullah II would fulfill the invitation of Ukrainian President and visit Ukraine in the near future. '' A number of Jordanian students graduated from Ukrainian universities and institutes,'' pointed the ambassador, who also added that more than 3500 Jordanian students are currently studying in Ukraine. On the other hand, Nagaichuk said that the volume of trade exchange between the two countries reached $290 million in 2004. '' Jordan and Ukraine will hold next November the first meeting of the Joint Jordanian- Ukrainian Committee, during which the two sides are expected to sign a number of trade agreements,'' the ambassador said. He also expressed his country's support to Jordan's efforts that aim at settling the region's issues, especially the Palestinian cause. //Petra// 081712 Local SEP 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/08/27382600.htm

shelley said:
Jordanian, and in fact Arab 'high society' set a lot of store on externalities, how someone looks, dresses, the style of their house, the model of their car, what their son's wedding was like and so on. They also like to , both if they see excesses but also if by their lights people are too simple. It is a difficult situation for people in prominent positions.

That can also apply to the American high society as well. IMO, it still doesn't make it right for others to feel bad because their size isn't in the single digits, but I understand what you are saying.

sommone said:

Thanks you Sommone for this,I have been starving myself to become a size or two less but it never worked,LOL,I am 5"6 and I guess ur right,I shoudn't care of what people think as long as I am healthy (which after all the dieting I doubt I am still healthy :p :D )

Sorry guys I know this is off topic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom