King Abdullah & Queen Rania- News & Photos VIII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maryshawn said:
I didn't see the documentary unfortunately. I do recall an interview where QR says she "indulges KA's love of cooking as it's a way of relaxing for him." She was laughing when she said it. So I think he wears the chief chef's hat in the kitchen! Wasn't he whipping up steaks or something in the "Hello" interview about Hashem's birth? Seems to me he was preparing something for everyone that day--including the writer. His cousin, Prince Zeid (I think), said KA learned to cook while in the Army and could whip up any kind of cuisine, even very exotic foods--"much to the pleasure of everyone around him!"

I posted screen caps last year when the doc. was aired. Dont know if you saw them (P.Iman, Rania and Abdullah in the kitchen) Dont have the screen caps of the barbeque unfortunately. Btw..I was struck by how simple their kitchen was.

I'll look to find them. Thanks for the head's up.

And the fact QR is paired with older people--as it seems to me, as well--is likely she is Queen and wife of a reigning monarch. It might be more "fun" for her with the younger ones but, as you say, someday....

QN and Sofia must be close in age, hence their tight bond. But I recall, on the occasion of her 40th birthday, QN was asked to speak of her friendship with Queen Sofia and would not except to say "Queen Sofie has been a great friend to Jordan and was invaluable in her help during the Gulf War when we were struggling with the refugees." So she was really reticent to speak of what was fairly obvious... I mean, they were often photographed together and seemed to really like one another. But then again, the JRF, including KH/QN, Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath, and KA/QR, all seem to have an especially close relationship with both the Spanish and British royal families.
~*~Humera~*~ said:
I posted screen caps last year when the doc. was aired. Dont know if you saw them (P.Iman, Rania and Abdullah in the kitchen) Dont have the screen caps of the barbeque unfortunately. Btw..I was struck by how simple their kitchen was.

This discussion also makes me think of Lalla Salma. Take the Spanish and Belgian state visits to Morocco. Lalla Salma played hostess to the Kings and Queens of both countries and eventhough she seemed to hit it off really well with Queen Sofia, she didnt have an opportunity of meeting the younger royals from both countries. And Salma is even younger than Rania. There aren't that many young first ladies around, Rania, Salma, and Asma Assad are among the notable ones.
I think the European royals have it easier in the that sense. Most of the present monarchs got married around the same time, are the same age, and thus there's a sense of camaraderie around them (with the exception of QEII who is the most senior among them), not to mention the fact that they're related one way or another.

a late happy birthday to Queen Rania!

thanks for the news and beautiful pictures posted!

what concerns me is that QR&KA most of the time seem to be carrying out engagements alone, i'd like to see them carrying out engagements together more often. being away so often from each other is not a good thing, imho, especially for a young couple. [maybe they do spend much time together, but in private, we don't get to see the pictures? i don't know]

Queen Rania stresses importance of enhancing women's leadership...1stLD</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0726 4 0441 Queen Rania stresses importance of enhancing women's leadership...1stLD Amman/Sep.7(Petra)-- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah, on Wednesday, underscored the need for Jordanian women's organizations and their members to continue working together to enable the creation of a network which supports and empowers up-coming women leaders. Queen Rania's remarks came during the annual meeting of the Jordanian Chapter of the International Women's Forum (IWF), an organization which facilitates networking among women and promotes women's empowerment and opportunities for women in leadership. The meeting, attended by the IWF 26 members, included an overview of the organization's accomplishments to date, programs in progress, IWF committees, future plans and achievement requirements, as well as a presentation of the different training courses on leadership, which were conducted with the aim of developing the members' leadership potential, thereby providing them with a sense of authority. According to Jordan's IWF President, Mrs. Raghda Kurdi, the organization's achievements include the development of a website, the formulation of several committees for training and membership, such as the special committee for managing the award for microfinance and the leadership development program committee, whereby the IWF is currently working in collaboration with Jordanian banks to enhance women leadership skills in this sector. 20 ladies are also anticipated to be nominated three times a year to attend training workshops within the latter program, with the aim of expanding the organization's network to include women from various sectors and areas, including the governorates. More.......... Wardat/Petra 071833 Local SEP 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/07/27367600.htm

Queen Rania chairs first meeting of Royal Health Awareness Society....1st LD</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0743 4 0432 Queen Rania chairs first meeting of Royal Health Awareness Society....1st LD Amman/Sep.7(Petra)-- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah, on Wednesday, chaired the inaugural meeting of the Royal Health Awareness Society (RHAS), a newly formulated non-profit organization which was established to promote health awareness among a wider public focusing on comprehensive access to information and help raise healthy and socially-responsible citizens, living in harmony within a safe environment. During the meeting, Queen Rania reiterated the need for public awareness of undesirable health-related behavior and customs, which are currently prevalent as a result of modern day-to-day norms, routines and life-styles in general. She added that such awareness is also required on issues, which appear to be simple, but are complex in nature, such as physical fitness, nutritional methods and family health methods and techniques, which, she continued, have a negative effect on people's health. Queen Rania also noted that such awareness campaigns must be based on comprehensive objectives and strategies to allow for pragmatic solutions to be translated into reality on the ground. The meeting, attended by the society's board members, included an overview of the RHAS' objectives, mission and vision, presented by the society's Vice Chairperson, Dr. Rami Farraj. RHAS Director-General, Ms. Mayyada Abu-Jaber, also briefed attendees on the organization's structure and future plans, the latter of which includes the establishment of the King Abdullah II Award for Health and Physical Fitness as well as the Child Well-Being Initiative. More.......... Wardat/Petra 071836 Local SEP 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/07/27367500.htm

King Condoles Indonesian President</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0572 4 0102 King Condoles Indonesian President For papers use... Amman, Sep. 7(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II sent a cable to Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono condoling him over the victims of the Indonesian airliner crash. The King expressed, in his name and on behalf of Jordan's people and government, deep grief and sorrow over the incident. //Petra// 071638 Local SEP 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/07/27365400.htm

King Receives Palestinian Minister of Civil Affairs</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0786 4 0136 King Receives Palestinian Minister of Civil Affairs For Newspapers only ====================== Amman/Sep.7(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II on Wednesday received Palestinian Minister of Civil Affairs Mohammad Dahlan, who was admitted to Al Hussein Medical City (HMC) several days ago. Dahlan, who recently recovered from indisposition discharged from Hussein Medical City, expressed appreciation and thanks for His Majesty King Abdullah II for his concern and care during his hospitalization at HMC. Wardat/Petra 071904 Local SEP 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/07/27368100.htm

Has the visit to Israel been confirmed, definitely. I read again yesterday that it had was still unconfirmed?

Last edited by a moderator:
i've always preferred the post-pregnancy weight of rania - immediately after she gave birth...i thought she looked better --- both her face looked healthier and her clothes suited her better. but, i mean, if she thinks she looks better a little skinnier than that's completely her choice. everyone has different preferences regarding weight and she's entitled to her own --- she's not unhealthy, i don't think - i mean, you have to have some degree of health to manage a schedule like that.

maryshawn said:
And the fact QR is paired with older people--as it seems to me, as well--is likely she is Queen and wife of a reigning monarch. It might be more "fun" for her with the younger ones but, as you say, someday....
I think, with all due respect, too much is made of this age thing. At some point in one's late 20s or 30s, when one becomes a full adult, a 20- or 30-year age difference ceases to be the big deal it might've been back when one person was 15 and the other was 40. QR is in her mid 30s now; KA is in his mid 40s. I think, if anything, their relative lack of tenure in their jobs is a bigger obstacle to them in dealing with and relating to other heads of state than age. I am close to KA's age and, believe me, I have friends in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and even 80s, and they are real-deal, genuine friends. This is fairly common.

florawindsor said:
what concerns me is that QR&KA most of the time seem to be carrying out engagements alone, i'd like to see them carrying out engagements together more often. being away so often from each other is not a good thing, imho, especially for a young couple. [maybe they do spend much time together, but in private, we don't get to see the pictures? i don't know]

you know at the beginning of their reign (the first 2 or 3 years) QR and KA had an amazingly packed schedule and they went on state visits together. And they continue to accompany each other or state and working visits. But we do see them performing duties separately much of the time. I think that way they can cover a lot more ground than if they were to be together all the time.
This year especially, because Queen Rania gave birth to Prince Hashem at the end of January, she stayed home much of the time to be with her family which is why we saw King Abdullah alone on his visits abroad.
They do spend time together in private, there are lots of family pictures, vacation pictures etc.
They will also be together in New York this month.

"I think, with all due respect, too much is made of this age thing. At some point in one's late 20s or 30s, when one becomes a full adult, a 20- or 30-year age difference ceases to be the big deal it might've been back when one person was 15 and the other was 40. QR is in her mid 30s now; KA is in his mid 40s. I think, if anything, their relative lack of tenure in their jobs is a bigger obstacle to them in dealing with and relating to other heads of state than age. I am close to KA's age and, believe me, I have friends in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and even 80s, and they are real-deal, genuine friends. This is fairly common."

I think the difference in age will have a big effect on Rania's interaction with others in the sense that she comes form a completely different generation from them.
At the end of the day it has to be intimidating for her to deal with royals like Queen Elizabeth II, for example, who have been on the throne longer than she's been alive.

Little_star said:
"I think, with all due respect, too much is made of this age thing. At some point in one's late 20s or 30s, when one becomes a full adult, a 20- or 30-year age difference ceases to be the big deal it might've been back when one person was 15 and the other was 40. QR is in her mid 30s now; KA is in his mid 40s. I think, if anything, their relative lack of tenure in their jobs is a bigger obstacle to them in dealing with and relating to other heads of state than age. I am close to KA's age and, believe me, I have friends in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and even 80s, and they are real-deal, genuine friends. This is fairly common."

I think the difference in age will have a big effect on Rania's interaction with others in the sense that she comes form a completely different generation from them.
But, honestly, I don't know how old you are, but age and maturational differences begin to close at a certain age, so I think this has much more to do with experiential differences than age per se. If QR wants it to be a big deal, then surely it will be, but most adults can fairly easily bridge some of these so-called age gaps.

Alicky said:
I think that's just due to the garish lighting. I've seen the same coloration in her wedding pics. Her canines are always yellow.

Yea maybe...

"But, honestly, I don't know how old you are, but age and maturational differences begin to close at a certain age, so I think this has much more to do with experiential differences than age per se. If QR wants it to be a big deal, then surely it will be, but most adults can fairly easily bridge some of these so-called age gaps."

I have to agree with Papillion. I am in my mid fifties, and I have friends, real friends, who are my age, but also ones who are in their thirties, and forties, and sixties, and seventies, and even some in their eighties, and there are even a three or four in their nineties, so really after a certain point in time, the so called age difference melts away. My elder siblings were ten and thirteen years older than me. We ended up being each other's best friends as the years went by. It is much more to do with like mindedness. Let's remember P.Hassan's controverisal remark about the meeting of minds: " if you have a mind, I would like to meet it!"

I think Q. Rania's entire experience before and since becoming queen must be very different indeed to most of her royal peers irrespective of age. I also get the feeling that she is not very comfortable around people of her own age as well, wherever they may hail from, and I mean other Arabs here as well. Being a Kuwaiti born Palestinian refugee gives a person a very definite and perhaps different horizons and outlook, or so I should assume.

Last edited:
there may be some truth to that. Queen Rania is very good friends with both Prince Charles and Camilla, both of whom are much older than her.
But then she has also had various opportunities of interacting with them and getting to know them better. There's the osteo fund that both Camilla and Rania are part of. She also seems to have a close relationship with Rafiq Hariri's widow Nazek (also part of the osteo fund). Mrs. Hariri is also older than Rania.
So I think its also a case of getting to know various royals better. I dont think 6 years is enough for that.
Still I think that people in the older age bracket have more in common with each other, like a 50 year old would get along well with someone who is 60 or 70 or older. But I dont think someone in their 20s or 30s will necessarily have much in common with those people. Speaking from experience I know people in their 20s prefer being around those who are the same age as them, if we're talking about friendships that is. Still thats a generalization and not the rule.

Last edited:
There must be some article(s) out there comparing and contrasting Queen Rania with Princess Letizia..... I found it odd on the Newscom site there are suddenly a whole host of photos of the two side by side in similar outfits or with their hair styled in a similar way and the captions read something to the effect "Comparing Rania with Letizia." I don't see the similarities--but then again, I really don't follow Letizia. Did I miss something? Is the european media trying to promote some sort of "style war" (who is more stylish?) between them? I mean, some of these shots are pretty lame; QR wearing a yellow outfit one day and Letizia wearing a similar shade in a photo taken a year later..... So they wore the same color??? Big deal. I really don't see the resemblance or need to contrast the two. It was just a strange thing to stumble upon.

Last edited:
shelley said:
I am in my mid fifties, and I have friends, real friends, who are my age, but also ones who are in their thirties, and forties, and sixties, and seventies, and even some in their eighties, and there are even a three or four in their nineties
Wow. . .I need to find some hip, new friends in their 90s! :D

It is much more to do with like mindedness. Let's remember P.Hassan's controverisal remark about the meeting of minds: " if you have a mind, I would like to meet it!"
This is true. And sometimes there is just an inexplicable meeting of the spirits, as though destiny or fate had a hand.

I like P. Hassan's comment. ;)

I also get the feeling that she is not very comfortable around people of her own age as well, wherever they may hail from, and I mean other Arabs here as well. Being a Kuwaiti born Palestinian refugee gives a person a very definite and perhaps different horizons and outlook, or so I should assume.
It must be difficult for her at times, as though she is neither fish nor fowl.

maryshawn said:
I don't see the similarities--but then again, I really don't follow Letizia. Did I miss something? Is the european media trying to promote some sort of "style war" (who is more stylish?) between them? I mean, some of these shots are pretty lame; QR wearing a yellow outfit one day and Letizia wearing a similar shade in a photo taken a year later..... So they wore the same color??? Big deal. I really don't see the resemblance or need to contrast the two. It was just a strange thing to stumble upon.
I guess they could be similar. They both have thin frames, angular faces, pretty, modern, killer dressers, sometimes similar hair... But by no means are they twins, and their styles, aside from being modern and glamorous, aren't that similar.

Alicky said:
I guess they could be similar. They both have thin frames, angular faces, pretty, modern, killer dressers, sometimes similar hair... But by no means are they twins, and their styles, aside from being modern and glamorous, aren't that similar.

Letizia has been always a natural beauty; Rania has enhanced her looks through plastic surgeries and botox injections. This is not to say that Rania was that ugly...Also, Letizia used to have a good taste in clothing since the time she was a journalist (see her pre-marriage pics ), while Rania before coronation especially, she did not have good taste. But rania catches up and now has good fashion advisors and make up stylists.

Now I've got to look up Letizia while she was a journalist because my curiousity is picqued. I really know so little about her. I suppose it would make some sense--if the media is looking for material--to compare the two as they have similar "looks" sometimes and are close to the same age???? Or is Letizia much younger? Queen Rania just turned 35.
Citizen2005 said:
Letizia has been always a natural beauty; Rania has enhanced her looks through plastic surgeries and botox injections. This is not to say that Rania was that ugly...Also, Letizia used to have a good taste in clothing since the time she was a journalist (see her pre-marriage pics ), while Rania before coronation especially, she did not have good taste. But rania catches up and now has good fashion advisors and make up stylists.

MS, I think Letizia is about 2 years younger than Rania. I did see some photos myself of the 2 dressed in similar clothing, and at first glance, they could have appeared (IMO) to be related. That was just first glance. However, when you see pictures of the two, there isn't really any physical similarities between them. I think that is all I am going to say on the subject because I don't want to turn KA and Rania's thread into another Letizia vs. Rania. I will say this, to my knowledge, Rania hasn't had any botox injections. At least there isn't any proof to that. She did have her nose done as many of us have previously discussed.

Images from seeger, 6th of September

Queen Rania visited a Secondary School

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00146392.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00146392.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 254
  • pre-SEEGER00146393.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00146393.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 344
~*~Humera~*~ said:
you know at the beginning of their reign (the first 2 or 3 years) QR and KA had an amazingly packed schedule and they went on state visits together. And they continue to accompany each other or state and working visits. But we do see them performing duties separately much of the time. I think that way they can cover a lot more ground than if they were to be together all the time.
This year especially, because Queen Rania gave birth to Prince Hashem at the end of January, she stayed home much of the time to be with her family which is why we saw King Abdullah alone on his visits abroad.
They do spend time together in private, there are lots of family pictures, vacation pictures etc.
They will also be together in New York this month.

thanks for the explanation Humera. good to know they'll be together soon---though seems weird they will be meeting in US not Jordan. they must be really busy.

as for the Letizia&Rania resemblance, i have to admit they look similar sometimes, esp. when you don't know them well, you can be confused.
there are some pictures of L&R in similar style in the Royal Fashion board showing them in similar dress. to me, Rania's style is more feminine and lovely, while Letizia's is more businesslike, she wore suits too often, imho.

how about the bbc intervew...

Jordan's King Abdullah to Address Catholic University Law School on Reclaiming Moderate Islam

9/7/2005 1:43:00 PM

To: Assignment Desk, Daybook Editor

Contact: Merissa Khurma of the Embassy of Jordan, 202-265-1606; Tom Haederle of Catholic University of America, 202-319-5438

News Advisory:

His Majesty King Abdullah II, king of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, will deliver an address: Traditional Islam: The Path to Peace at The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law at noon on Tuesday, Sept. 13, in the law buildings William J. Byron, S.J. Auditorium, Washington D.C.

The invitation-only event is open to media coverage.

The kings' remarks will build upon recent efforts to enhance understanding about the true tenets and teachings of Islam. In July 2005, as a result of the International Islamic Conference hosted by King Abdullah II in Amman, more than 180 scholars representing 45 countries signed a final declaration unanimously condemning the practice known as takfir (calling others apostates) that is used by extremists to justify violence. The declaration also recognized the legitimacy of all eight of the traditional schools of Islamic religious law from the Sunni, Shii and Ibadi branches of Islam, and identified their common principles and beliefs. It defined the necessary qualifications and conditions for issuing fatwas (religious directives), contrasting them to the illegitimacy of so-called fatwas justifying terrorism that are issued outside of the traditional schools of Islamic religious law and in violation of Islams core principles.

The Sept. 13 lecture will be the only official address given by King Abdullah II during his two-day swing through Washington. En route to the United States, King Abdullah also will meet with Pope Benedict XVI to build on the relations that Jordan had established with Pope John Paul II, and to discuss ways in which Muslims and Christians can continue to work together for peace, tolerance and coexistence.

King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein assumed his constitutional powers as monarch of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on Feb. 7, 1999, the day his father, the late King Hussein, passed away. Born in Amman in 1962, he began his primary education at the Islamic Educational College in Amman and later attended private schools in England and America. Prior to his current position, King Abdullah II spent many years in the military holding various ranks, among them commander of the Royal Jordanian Special Forces and special operations commander.

The kings' address at CUA is an initiative of the Columbus School of Laws Interdisciplinary Program in Law and Religion, which extended the invitation and arranged the kings visit. The program was created to provide a forum for study, research and public discussion of issues arising at the nexus of law and religion.

A live Web cast of King Abdullahs lecture will be available at http://www.law.edu

Media Information

Coverage of this event is welcome but media representatives MUST contact the law schools public affairs office to register and comply with security protocol for the kings' visit. Space inside the auditorium will be reserved only for media outlets that pre-register and is subject to availability. The Byron auditorium will open early on the morning of Sept. 13 for television news set-up. A mult box will be available and a pooled audio feed is anticipated; news outlets must supply their own power. Print reporters who pre-register are welcome to attend the speech; others may watch it live over the Internet at http://www.law.edu.

Outlets that have not checked in and set up by 9 a.m. will lose their spot in the auditorium.

Call law school public affairs director Tom Haederle (CUA) at 202-319-5438 or Merissa Khurma (press attach, Embassy of Jordan) at 202-265-1606 to reserve space for the event and to determine technical needs.

http://www.usnewswire.com/
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=52799

Little_star said:
"I don't think that for any 44-46 size (14-16) is an average one:confused: ,even for the eastern countries;)"

Well you thought wrong then, the average size in the UK is a 16.

It might be that I'm wrong:rolleyes: ,but rania lost at laest 6sizes from her photo engagement,if she's now thin,so before she was shubby:D,and she went through size 8 and 10 and in 2000,and in 2002 she was skeletic,she gained some weight last year before pregnency,but she's back now to her very skinny body ,and if all this is not a yoyo weight,so we don't have the same dictionnary:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom