King Abdullah & Queen Rania- News & Photo IX

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyonnaise

Serene Highness
Welcome to thread nine of News and Pictures of King Abdullah and Queen Rania and Family.

The previous thread can be found here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7069&page=1&pp=20

Please review TRF's Posting Rules & Guidelines before making your comments: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4920. Violations of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forum.

IMPORTANT!!!!! All photos must be credited. Uncredited photos will be removed.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=6455.

Media Notice: His Majesty King Abdullah II, Her Majesty Queen Rania of Jordanto Visit Banneker Academic High School Tuesday, Sept. 13Distribution Source : U.S. Newswire

Date : Friday, September 09, 2005

spcr.gif
To: National and International desks, Daybook Editor

Contact: Embassy of Jordan -- Washington, D.C. Information Bureau, 202-265-1606; Web: http://www.jordanembassyus.org

WASHINGTON, Sept. 9 /U.S. Newswire/ -- His Majesty King Abdullah and Her Majesty Queen Rania will meet with a group of students and teachers from Banneker High School, the Hebrew Academy, International Saudi Academy and Cardozo Senior High School at Banneker Senior High School in Washington, D.C.. The roundtable discussion will begin at 11 AM.

Press who would like to cover this event must to 202-265-1606, or email it to jordaninfo1@aol.com no later than 5 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 12, 2005. Please note that only media with valid press credentials will have access to the event. For more information call the Jordan Information Bureau at 202-265-1606.

ad_hdr.gif
spcr.gif
Media registration for TV begins at 9:30 A.M and for print at 10:30 A.M. The event will take place at the Banneker High School's library: 800 Euclid St N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001.

His Majesty King Abdullah and Her Majesty Queen Rania will meet with students from The Hebrew Academy, the International Saudi Academy, and Banneker High School, in an effort to open a dialogue with youth on peace, tolerance and interfaith coexistence. His Majesty King Abdullah's visit to the United States will focus on the intra-Islamic, interfaith initiative Jordan is leading, which aims to build bridges of peace and understanding among people throughout the world, including religious and political leaders, academics, and policymakers as well as youth. After meeting with the students, King Abdullah will address the Catholic University of America Law School (Title of speech-Traditional Islam: the Path to Peace). King Abdullah will also meet with Muslim, Christian and Jewish leaders in the United States during his visit.

http://press.arrivenet.com/pol/article.php/691256.html

King Abdullah: Israel has peace partner in PA gv't

Associated Press, THE JERUSALEM POST Sep. 9, 2005

The Palestinian government can put a stop to the chaos raging on its violent streets and negotiate peace with Israel, but only with international help, Jordan's King Abdullah II told Israeli TV viewers on Friday.

"I do think you do have a partner for peace, but again, I think all of us, whether it's Jordan, Israel or the international community, we have to strengthen the (Palestinian Authority) because there are going to be extremists on either side that want to derail the process," Abdullah said in an interview with Israel TV recorded in Amman. Given support, the Palestinian effort can fend off efforts to destabilize it, he added, singling out the need to strenghten the Palestinian police.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1126232464746

Little_star said:
Media Notice: His Majesty King Abdullah II, Her Majesty Queen Rania of Jordanto Visit Banneker Academic High School Tuesday, Sept. 13Distribution Source : U.S. Newswire

Date : Friday, September 09, 2005

spcr.gif
To: National and International desks, Daybook Editor

Contact: Embassy of Jordan -- Washington, D.C. Information Bureau, 202-265-1606; Web: http://www.jordanembassyus.org

WASHINGTON, Sept. 9 /U.S. Newswire/ -- His Majesty King Abdullah and Her Majesty Queen Rania will meet with a group of students and teachers from Banneker High School, the Hebrew Academy, International Saudi Academy and Cardozo Senior High School at Banneker Senior High School in Washington, D.C.. The roundtable discussion will begin at 11 AM.

Press who would like to cover this event must to 202-265-1606, or email it to jordaninfo1@aol.com no later than 5 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 12, 2005. Please note that only media with valid press credentials will have access to the event. For more information call the Jordan Information Bureau at 202-265-1606.

ad_hdr.gif
spcr.gif
Media registration for TV begins at 9:30 A.M and for print at 10:30 A.M. The event will take place at the Banneker High School's library: 800 Euclid St N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001.

His Majesty King Abdullah and Her Majesty Queen Rania will meet with students from The Hebrew Academy, the International Saudi Academy, and Banneker High School, in an effort to open a dialogue with youth on peace, tolerance and interfaith coexistence. His Majesty King Abdullah's visit to the United States will focus on the intra-Islamic, interfaith initiative Jordan is leading, which aims to build bridges of peace and understanding among people throughout the world, including religious and political leaders, academics, and policymakers as well as youth. After meeting with the students, King Abdullah will address the Catholic University of America Law School (Title of speech-Traditional Islam: the Path to Peace). King Abdullah will also meet with Muslim, Christian and Jewish leaders in the United States during his visit.

http://press.arrivenet.com/pol/article.php/691256.html

To me, it's just another excuse to visit the U.S.

"To me, it's just another excuse to visit the U.S."

Well I wouldn't have expected anything different

Little_star said:

Umm, OK? What is that suppose to mean?:cool: Why don't you say what you really mean???

Little_star said:

Maybe could you light up us about the purpouse of this visit:confused: ?,otherwise I agree with polop;)

I've find an interesting article sent by a member in the "Royals" forum,where is quoted king abdallah of jordan by a serious politic analyst and observer as a dictator

Sunday, September 4, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Over a lifetime, Bill Clinton has exhibited a number of irresistible urges. One, more acceptable than others, was to be inaugurated, which, according to my dictionary, means commencing some office with ceremonies and ritual.
According to Bill, he inaugurated himself into marijuana smoking -- but not inhaling -- at Oxford University in England. Five years later, he was sworn in as attorney general of Arkansas, then five times as governor of the state and twice as president of the United States.

Now in 2005, Bill Clinton is looking for a new job with a beautiful new inauguration.

Destination NYC

It will all start with the Clinton Global Initiative in New York City on Sept. 15. And for three days it will bring together what Bill's spin doctors describe as "the world best minds and most distinguished problem-solvers."

We all know how they can lie.

Mark Twain put words into Clinton's mouth when he wrote in Huckleberry Finn, "Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side? And, ain't that a big enough majority in any town?"

Certainly the Clintonistas have tasked themselves with some major problems. In three days, they will offer "immediate practical solutions" on:

how to reduce poverty
how to use religion as a force for conflict resolution
how to combat climate change
and how to strengthen governance throughout the world.

With Bill Clinton as ringmaster, thumping the circus drum and conning the chumps and dupes into the big top, it is time to pay some close attention to the myriad scalawags who will congregate at the Sheraton Hotel on New York's West Side.

There will be Jacques Chirac, soon to face re-election and become former president of France; Tony Blair, who, unbelievably, is serving a third term as Britain's prime minister and as Clinton's performing poodle; Olusegun Obasanjo, Nigeria's president, who can teach any Western politician tricks on how to privatize state funds into their very private bank accounts; and the truly sinister Paul Kagame, the Tutsi who became president of Rwanda.

Kagame, a part of the chaos and violence in Rwanda, was chosen for the presidency of that sad country by his neighbor, President Yoweri Museveni -- best known to the U.S. military as "Little Darling" in Uganda.

With these four guests, Bill Clinton has brought together a tarnished, intrigue-ridden band of experts who have all eliminated poverty, pollution and hunger from their own lives. Their double-dealing has made chicanery the order of the day. To bring individuals like Kagame and Obasanjo to America to talk about "good governance" is a sick joke.

Cue the clowns

But, there are many more willing to work for the next Clinton inauguration.

Clinton, as every fairground shill knows, has to bring out the clowns. And he has them in abundance.

There is his old Vice President Al Gore, now billed as the super-environmentalist and -- hold the laughs -- renowned for government cost-cutting.

Joining Al the Remarkable is Kofi Annan, embroiled in the United Nations' oil-for-food scandal.

Joining them as straight man is Robert Rubin, who ran the U.S. Treasury, invented a voodoo mix known as "Rubinomics" and retired to Wall Street before the economy turned sour.

Also attending is Gareth Evans, a former Australian foreign minister, now presiding over the International Crisis Group, who has never found a crisis that Democrats can't turn into a catastrophe.

The role of chief clown was reserved for John Kerry's money machine and supporter of many strange and varied causes, George Soros. Who better than he to sound his own horn and lead the parade?

Naturally, a Clinton circus has to have a lady in tights and spangles on horseback. Madonna was not available, so the job went to Kosovo Queen, also known as Madeleine Albright, who turned Washington's once prestigious Foggy Bottom into a laughingstock.

'Prize acts'

The really prize acts include the Monarch of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, best known as King Abdullah, whose claim to fame is that he once said, "True Islam supports a democratic environment," then, at once, proceeded to crush any attempt to discuss the rights of his citizens.

Also attending will be the prime minister of Bangladesh, the Begum (Widow) Khaleda Zia, whose country is characterized, even by our wimpish State Department, as "poor, overpopulated, ill-governed and corrupt."

Among the speakers will be the Bangladeshi "Robin Hood," as comic relief, whose true name is Mohammad Yunus, founder of a bank that believes credit is a human right. Sure, he lends money, but ask where it comes from and you will find that it is donations from wealthy individuals and governments to Yunus, some of which he lends on strict repayment terms.

Bill Clinton is bored and on the loose, looking for an inauguration. Once again, he will remember and act on Mark Twain's advice: "Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it!"

Credit: Dateline D.C. is written by a Washington-based British journalist and political observer.

Webpage

Tami_T said:
The really prize acts include the Monarch of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, best known as King Abdullah, whose claim to fame is that he once said, "True Islam supports a democratic environment," then, at once, proceeded to crush any attempt to discuss the rights of his citizens.

Webpage

I totally agree,all for QR and KA is about presenting a polished and fake image;)

Does anyone know the date KA will be meeting the Pope? I believe it's this month.

I guess I should've had a look at Jordan Times first

King heads to Vatican today

Monarch to join United Nations World Summit in New York

AMMAN (JT) — His Majesty King Abdullah is expected to leave today for the Vatican City on a one-day visit before heading to the US to join world leaders at a UN summit, a senior Royal Court official said Saturday.

In New York, King Abdullah will join the September 14-16 UN World Summit, expected to be the largest gathering of world leaders in history with an estimated 171 participants are scheduled to attend.

http://www.jordantimes.com/sun/homenews/homenews1.htm

I guess he'll be meeting the Pope alone, at least the article doesnt mention QR

"Umm, OK? What is that suppose to mean?:cool: Why don't you say what you really mean???"

It's an obvious statement, your comments regarding Rania and Abdullah are always in the same vein and incredibly predictable.

King, Queen Arrive in Rome

Rome/Sep.11(Petra)-- Their Majesties King Abdullah II and Queen Rania Al Abdullah arrived in Rome on the outset of a working tour that includes the Vatican and the United States of America. In Rome, Their Majesties are expected to meet with Pope Benedict XVI on Monday before heading for the US to join world leaders at the UN summit.
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/11/27442000.htm

http://bc.us.yahoo.com/b?P=Zmmj30La...4873.7082395.8015006.1414694/D=LREC/B=2961078

AMMAN (AFP) - Jordan's King Abdullah II left for the Vatican for talks with Pope Benedict XVI ahead of a trip to the United States to attend the UN summit on reform, officials said. The monarch is due to meet the pope on Monday for talks on promoting inter-faith ties, according to a statement from the royal court carried by state-run Petra news agency said.

"The meeting will be an opportunity to to promote inter-faith dialogue and affirm the noble humanitarian values to confront extremism and terrorism and attempts to undermine the real image of Islam," it said.

In July, the Jordanian monarch hosted an international conference to help improve the image of Islam.

In New York the Jordanian monarch will address the September 14-16 UN summit on "Jordan's key role to achieve regional and international peace and stability", it added.

He is also due to meet Christian, Muslim and Jewish religious leaders as well as other figures to stress home the message that "Islam is a religion of tolerance, peace and mutual respect," it said.

King Abdullah is also due to attend an international conference hosted by former US president Bill Clinton in New York before heading to Washington for talks with senior administration officials.

American news agencies are wigging over the fact that KAbdullah doesn't want to kiss or touch the Pope's ring. Different religion and culture.

Kings with Pope

From getty

Attachments

• 55383332.jpg
    55383332.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 862
  • 55383331.jpg
    55383331.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 915
  • 55383365.jpg
    55383365.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 758
  • 55383380.jpg
    55383380.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 861
Oh, the Queen is in black, very elegant, but in the last time she go visit the pope she not go in white?
Well, thanks for the pics.

micas said:
Oh, the Queen is in black, very elegant, but in the last time she go visit the pope she not go in white?
Well, thanks for the pics.

yes,she was in white last time,but that was a big "faux pas" since she's not a catholic queen;)

Tami_T said:
yes,she was in white last time,but that was a big "faux pas" since she's not a catholic queen;)

How come wearing white to the Vatican is a "faux pas"? Sorry I am not aware of how things go, when visiting a church or meeting the pope :eek:

BTW I love her suit it's very classy.

Did anyone notice that in the pics they focus in Rania and completely ignore KA's presence?

lil Monkey said:
How come wearing white to the Vatican is a "faux pas"? Sorry I am not aware of how things go, when visiting a church or meeting the pope :eek:

The protocol of vatican orders that only the catholic queens should wear white outfits while meeting the pope ,covering their hair,while the other royals including crown princesses should wear black wear.

I don't know if Rania was obliged to wear again this black oufit since she's not an european or catholic royal

lil Monkey said:
Did anyone notice that in the pics they focus in Rania and completely ignore KA's presence?

Yes, you are right,maybe Rania is the one who's ruling Jordan not king abdalla:confused:

I've posted the enitre article becuase the news source requires a subscription to read it all.

Queen Rania: a role model for the Middle East?

Sunday, September 11, 2005

AYSE ÖZGÜN

One of the most helpful and prominent foundations in Turkey, to my mind, is called the Anne Çocuk Egitim Vakfi (AÇEV), the work of which concerns educating the mothers of Turkey who have unfortunately received insufficient education for one reason or another. Of course, this has been the case in many parts of the country throughout our history.

AÇEV not only educates the mothers of Turkey through its reading and writing courses, it also undertakes "proper parenting” courses that both mothers and fathers can attend.

One cannot get any closer to the crux of the matter than that, can one?

We know that Professor Çiðdem Kaðýtçýbaþý and Ayþen Özyiðin have been stalwarts working with AÇEV for a great many years, and, as a result, we now understand that AÇEV's work has reached the eyes and ears of other developing nations, especially in the Middle East area.

The grapevine tells me that Queen Rania of Jordan has officially applied to AÇEV to see if their program can be duplicated in her country since, I am sure, the status of the women of Jordan may need to be elevated somewhat so that they can attain the status of which they most definitely deserve.

I listened to Queen Rania the other day on BBC World at the Villa D'Este on Lake Como in Northern Italy and I witnessed how fervently she is trying to change the status of women in her country and the greater Middle East.

She indicated that a lot of well-educated Jordanian women were working in hospitals, government offices and the education system, adding that this was not enough, however, and that a lot more needs to be accomplished in Jordan -- maybe more so than in other Middle Eastern countries. I couldn't agree with her more.

Just the other day I overheard Republican Senator John McCain say to Amre Moussa of Egypt: "You are talking of reforms but we still see women in certain countries of the Middle East sitting in the back of a car. You cannot even bring her up to sit in the front!"

Unfortunately, what McCain is saying is true. The response “it's our culture, our tradition and the accustomed way” simply does not cut it anymore.

It must change! Men in the Middle East must look upon women in a new light. Men should accept the rights of women, their dignity and their need for respect. I am impressed and proud of Queen Rania and what she is doing in Jordan. Let us hope she will be a role model for other Arab countries. Cooperating with AÇEV and using their know-how is a step in the right direction, and, I wish them every success in all their endeavors.
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=22944

King Attends Joint Exercise with Italian Army Unit</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0897 4 0161 King Attends Joint Exercise with Italian Army Unit Aman/Sep.11(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II the Supreme Command on Sunday visited Italian army unit, performing a joint exercise with one Jordanian army units in the frame of performing joint military exercises with brotherly and friendly countries with a view to benefit from their expertises. King Abdullah the Supreme Command, in the presence of the Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staffs listened to a briefing on the exercise. King Abdullah shook hands with participants, indicating to the importance of such exercises to exchange military experiments and expertise. Wardat/Petra 111959 Local SEP 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Sep/11/27441200.htm

The only women that are allowed to wear white when they met the pope at the Vatican are the Catholic Queens of Belgium and Spain and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (and I *think* Italian and Austrian princesses) everyone else, Queens or female head of states from other countries and all princesses should wear black.

However it seems that the rule is only when they are on a state visit in the Vatican. Since they are not in the Vatican and it is not a state visit the rules seem a little more relaxed. The last time Queen Rania saw the pope it was not in the Vatican and she wore white, the same thing for the Empress of Japan.

"However it seems that the rule is only when they are on a state visit in the Vatican. Since they are not in the Vatican and it is not a state visit the rules seem a little more relaxed. The last time Queen Rania saw the pope it was not in the Vatican and she wore white, the same thing for the Empress of Japan."

So she may not have broken protocol then?

Little_star said:
"However it seems that the rule is only when they are on a state visit in the Vatican. Since they are not in the Vatican and it is not a state visit the rules seem a little more relaxed. The last time Queen Rania saw the pope it was not in the Vatican and she wore white, the same thing for the Empress of Japan."

So she may not have broken protocol then?

She had brook the protocol.The first time it was in 2000,she met pope Jean Paul II in Vatican ,with king abdallh,and she was wearing obviously a white dress with a white matilla:confused: worn normally by the catholic queens ;)

Little_star said:
I've posted the enitre article becuase the news source requires a subscription to read it all.

Queen Rania: a role model for the Middle East?

Sunday, September 11, 2005

obviously NO!Since most of the countries in the ME are doing better than her in the matter of empowerement of women's rights,so how she could be a model for them?:confused:

IMO,she's confusing her image in medias and her role of empowerement of women rights;)

"obviously NO!Since most of the countries in the ME are doing better than her in the matter of empowerement of women's rights,so how she could be a model for them?:confused: "

Whcih countries would that be then? Saudi Arabia perhaps, where women have few tangible rights?

Jordanian women have had the right to vote since 1974, that's more than can said for their Kuwaiti couterparts.

WOMEN IN JORDAN, A SYNOPSIS:

Women's Rights:

• According to the Jordanian constitution, all Jordanians are equal before the law, have the right to assume public office and the right to work.
  • Women were given the right to vote and the right to run for general elections since 1974.
  • The government of Jordan signed the UN Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) in December 1980, which was ratified by parliament in 1992.
Women in Parliament:

• From 1978 to 1984, a 75-member National Consultative Council was established to assist the government in legislative issues. Three women were appointed to the First Session (1978-1980) and four to the Second and Third Sessions (1980-1982 and 1982-1984)
  • In 1989, Jordan held general elections, in which 12 women ran for office, none of whom succeeded in getting elected to Parliament. One woman was appointed in the Upper House of Parliament, or Senate.
  • In 1993, only three women ran for office, and one succeeded in becoming the only Jordanian women to be elected to the 80-member Lower House of Parliament. Two women were appointed to the Senate in that same year.
  • In the 1997 elections, 17 women ran for parliament, but none were elected. Three women were appointed to the Senate in that same year.
Women in Local Councils:

• Women have the right of candidature and election to the membership of municipal councils
  • In 1980, a woman was appointed to the 12-member Amman Mayoral Council and was re-appointed in 1986 to the 50-member Greater Amman Mayoral Council where she is still serving at present.
  • In the 1995 municipal elections, 10 women won seats on municipal councils throughout Jordan, one of whom was elected as Jordan’s first Mayor.
  • In the 1999 municipal elections, 8 women were elected, but Jordan's first woman Mayor lost her seat.
Women in Government:

• In the 1979 cabinet, one of 23 ministers was a woman -- the Minister of Social Development became the first female incumbent of a ministerial post in Jordan.
  • In 1984, a women became Minister of Information in a 25--member cabinet.
  • In the period 1985-1992, in six successive governments, no woman was appointed to a ministerial post, until a woman became Minister of Trade and Industry in the 29-member cabinet of 1993.
  • In 1994 two women were appointed to the cabinet assuming the posts of Minister of Trade and Industry and Minister of Social Development.
  • In 1996, 1997 and 1998, one woman retained the post of Minister of Planning.
  • In May 1996, Jordan’s first woman judge was appointed.
  • In September 1996, a National Committee for Women was formed to draw up general policies related to women in all fields and to define the priorities, chart plans and programs for women in the governmental and non-governmental sectors and to follow and work towards the modernization and development of the implementation of the national strategy on women.
  • According to UNICEF's 1997 Progress of Nations, women in Jordan make up 6% of top level government positions, while the regional average for the Middle East and North Africa is 2% and the world average is 7%.
  • In 1999, the first woman Deputy Prime Minister was appointed and who also has the important portfolio of Minister of Planning.
Women in the Labor Force:

• The government’s labor law, which went into effect in June 1996, includes an article on working mothers that prohibits employers from terminating their jobs or giving them notice about termination if they are in the 6th month of their pregnancy or maternity leave. It also allows mothers 10 weeks paid maternity leave compared to the previous allowance of 8 weeks, an hour a day for breast-feeding during the first year after delivery and a year’s unpaid leave to care for their newborns. The law is based on international conventions set by the International Labor Organization (ILO).
  • The participation of women in the labor force has more than doubled rising from 7.7% in 1979 to 15% in 1993. The 1994 Population Census placed the ratio of women in the work force at 16%.
Women and Education:

• Illiteracy among women decreased from 53.2% in 1972 to 14% in 1996.
  • Roughly equal number of females (compared to men) enrolled in primary and secondary schools, community colleges and universities.
Women and Health:

• The Ministry of Health launched its first maternal and child health program in 1955 in Amman, which has now expanded to 287 centers and 22 government hospitals located throughout the Kingdom.
  • Jordan’s maternal and child health services have witnessed a perceptible improvement over the past years; child vaccination rates are above 90%, child mortality rates decreased from 40 per 1000 live births in 1985 to 24 per 1000 in 1997, the percentage of women who receive neonatal care rose from 58% during 1978-1983 to 89% during 1992-1996 and the percentage of women who gave birth under medical supervision also rose to 97% during 1990-1997. The percentage of mothers receiving postnatal care however, remains low at 25%.
  • Life expectancy of women has increased from 64 in 1980 to 70 in 1994, infant mortality has dropped from 64 / 1000 in 1980 to 21 / 1000 in 1994 and fertility rates have decreased to 5.2 births per woman in 1997 compared with 7 in 1976.
http://womensissues.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noor.gov.jo%2Fmain%2Fwomenjo.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom