The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

The Jordan River Foundation fundraising campaign for Palestine and Lebanon is being headed by Queen Rania (As mentioned in the article I posted above)
That's how she has responded to similar events in Palestine and Iraq.
At times like this, she does not get political, that is not her job, it is her husband's, which is why he has been talking about this issue for weeks.
When the war in Iraq started, she wrote a letter in the Times, addressed to Blair and Bush, not giving them a political lecture, but pleading them to let aid get through so casualties could be avoided and the injured evacuated to Jordan and elsewhere.
To me it clearly demonstrates that the Queen keeps the most vulnerable in mind, the women, children and others who are caught in the middle of conflicts like this and need humanitarian aid but are often lost amid the headlines of bombings and air raids.

The JRF has also partnered with the IOCC to provide aid to those afffected:

International Orthodox Christian Charities (July 18) IOCC, in cooperation with its field offices in Jerusalem, Beirut, and Amman, as well as its network of religious and secular partners, is preparing to deliver emergency supplies and assistance to those affected in Gaza and Lebanon once freedom of movement and reasonable access are restored. . .IOCC partners with the Jordan River Foundation, a non-governmental organization. IOCC is accepting hygiene gifts through Church World Service.ce. Alertnet

IOCC website

Old 07-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwhite
How do you know she does not sympathise with the Palestinian people? Have you spoken with her? Does she have to say something publicly every time in order to affirm what she may or may not feel?

She may be feeling many things but it is her decision when or if she chooses to speak or take action in her own way about it surely. And I have a feeling if she did say something publicly many people would probably take issue with her for upsetting the situation still further - I don't think she can win whatever she does quite frankly.

And I hope that you don't want her to suffer, I think that is not a pleasant thing to wish on anyone, what has she done that specifically deserves such feelings of antipathy towards her?

You mention IF she was part of the government you would want to know what she thought but she is not - she is royalty and the wife of the king and it is probably not appropriate for her to make any statement that is "political". Rather like the royal family in Britain who are disuaded from making any comments without government approval - it just causes problems for their ministers.

I realise that Jordan's monarchy is much more powerful that the British one but they are still not the government.
I don't think what you're saying about Royalty and goverment is completely true, not in Jordan or any other arab country. King Abdallah is an absolute monarch, the goverment is nothing, can not do or say anything without him having the final word on anything and everything. As for Rania, sorry but she does speak when it suits her and in any subject, be it social issues, international affairs, science etc etc, you name it and be sure she had participated in a meeting or a forum somewhere on this earth ( which to be fair is not always a bad thing, especially if you really know about it), but only if it suits her. KA, well his position as well as that of Egypt's presidant and the Saudi king was clear from the start, backing the us all the way, funny he wants a cease fire now. Finally to compare them to the british Royals is so unfair on the Brits, as Britain is a constitutional Monarchy and Jordan certainly is not, neither is Saudi, Morocco or Bahrain unfortunately :(

Old 07-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Aristocracy

In the arab world, leaders dont need permission from their goverments. they do what they want and when they want.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

King Abdullah is part of the government, he's the head of state, Queen Rania is neither. The King can call for a ceasefire in the Middle East (as he has in the past few days) but his wife cannot, it would not be appropriate for a consort. Queen Rania has never made political statements of that nature, she has always stepped around them quite diplomatically.

King Abdullah is the one who has been holding meetings and phoning world leaders, not his wife. That is simply not part of her job. She can call for and arrange humanitarian aid, she can take part in peaceful marches (she has done both in the past. She has marched for Palestinians, spoken out for them in the western media) but she can't step beyond her role as consort.
Still if that's expected from Queen Rania, why isn't it expected from the wives of other Middle Eastern leaders?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Jordan to receive injured Lebanese

Jordan is willing to receive the Lebanese civilians who were injured during the Israeli aggression on Lebanon and offer medical treatment to them, Jordanian King Abdullah II said on Saturday.

During a phone call with Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora, Abdullah said Jordan put its medical and health expertise at the service of the Lebanese people to alleviate the humanitarian tragedy. People's Daily Online

Siniora thanks King as Jordan plans more aid to Lebanon

Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora on Thursday thanked King Abdullah for his solidarity with Lebanon, saying he appreciated Jordan's stand on the crisis.

. . .The Jordan Hashemite Charity Organization recently dispatched 300 tonnes of relief aid to Lebanon. A Royal Court source said Jordan will soon send more assistance to the Arab country. ReliefWeb

Jordanian king again calls for immediate ceasefire in Lebanon

Jordanian King Abdullah II on Saturday again called for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon, which he said was the only way to opening the door for diplomatic efforts to reach a solution to the regional crisis, Jordan's official Petra news agency reported.
Abdullah made the appeal during a meeting with visiting French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy, who arrived here on Saturday on a Mideast tour aimed to ease tensions in Lebanon.
Abdullah also said that an immediate and comprehensive ceasefire would lead to defusing the crisis, according to the report. People's Daily Online

Picture from Petra

King issues orders to facilitate entry of foreigners fleeing Lebanon

AMMAN (Petra) His Majesty King Abdullah on Saturday directed police to facilitate the entry to Jordan of Lebanese and foreigners fleeing the deteriorating situation in Lebanon. The directives were issued during a visit to the Public Security Department (PSD) Jordan Times

Pictures from Petra
Old 07-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
King Abdullah is the one who has been holding meetings and phoning world leaders, not his wife. That is simply not part of her job.
I wont expect queen Rania to do that.

Quote:
She can call for and arrange humanitarian aid, she can take part in peaceful marches (she has done both in the past. She has marched for Palestinians, spoken out for them in the western media) but she can't step beyond her role as consort..
She can participate in marches when she wants or should I say when shes in town and not on a lavish summer vacation. She can arrange humanitarian aid but she didnt. Please dont tell me she might of done it already not publicly, because Queen Rania does nothing not publicly

Quote:
Still if that's expected from Queen Rania, why isn't it expected from the wives of other Middle Eastern leaders?
1.because queen rania is palestinian, IMO she should show some solidarity. Sorry I forgot, she wont leave her holiday for them.Guess the weather is better in Europe:p
2.other leaders wifes are not palestinian, correct me please. therefore IMO i dont see the reason for them to do anything if they dont want to. Even if they did, I think Queen Rania has more connections then they do at this time.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ
She can participate in marches when she wants or should I say when shes in town and not on a lavish summer vacation.
How do you know she's on vacation? The rest of us dont seem to be privy to that information.

Quote:
because queen rania is palestinian, IMO she should show some solidarity
Wrong reason. She is of palestinian origin but Queen of Jordan.
Was Queen Noor expected to show solidarity with the US? Or Princess Muna with Britain? That would've caused an uproar. Any time a woman marries into foreign royalty, whether its Queen Noor, or Rania, or Princesses Muna, Maxima or Mary, the public expects them, first and foremost, to act on behalf of their adopted homeland.
And how do you know she doesn't show solidarity with Palestinians? Why is her organization, the JRF, running a fundraising campaign and collecting donations?
Besides, being Palestinian or not is irrelevant. Human kindness and sympathy should not depend on one's country of origin.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

King Abdullah II orders a field hospital to Lebanon

Amman, 23 July (Petra)--In correspondence with Jordan's pan-Arab supportive role to Lebanese brethren in their ordeal due to the Israeli aggression, His Majesty King Abdullah II, the Supreme Commander of the armed forces, gave orders to send a field hospital to offer medical services to Lebanese brethren on the Lebanese soil. Petra

King Renews Condemnation of Israeli Aggression against Lebanon

Amman, July 23 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II renewed condemnation of Israeli aggression against Lebanon, pointing out that Jordan will continue to work with the international community to put an end to this aggression as soon as possible.

In a statement to Jordan Television after his meeting with the ambassadors of the European Union, His Majesty said that we, in Jordan, stand with the Lebanese people and the Lebanese government against this aggression.

King Abdullah said that Jordan will provide every possible assistance to Lebanon to alleviate the suffering of our brothers in Lebanon and to help them cope with adversity and overcoming the inhumane conditions. Petra

Pictures from Petra

King to Head for Kuwait on Monday

Amman, July 23 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II will head on Monday for Kuwait on a few-hour visit during which he will hold talks with Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah on the latest developments in the region especially in Palestine and Lebanon and addition to the bilateral ties. Petra
Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Wrong reason. She is of palestinian origin but Queen of Jordan.
Was Queen Noor expected to show solidarity with the US? Or Princess Muna with Britain? That would've caused an uproar. Any time a woman marries into foreign royalty, whether its Queen Noor, or Rania, or Princesses Muna, Maxima or Mary, the public expects them, first and foremost, to act on behalf of their adopted homeland.
And how do you know she doesn't show solidarity with Palestinians? Why is her organization, the JRF, running a fundraising campaign and collecting donations?
Besides, being Palestinian or not is irrelevant. Human kindness and sympathy should not depend on one's country of origin.
While I agree that support for the Palestinians should not depend on country of origin, I think because Rania IS Palestinian - unlike other Arab first ladies - she should take a more active role. You cannot compare Rania's Palestinian roots to Noor's American or Muna's British roots. Noor and Muna had to in effect give up ties to their homeland when they became part of the JRF in order to be accepted by the Jordanian people. Rania did not (and does not have to) give up her ties to Palestine because (1) Palestinians, like Jordanians, are Arabs and Muslims and (2) the majority of Jordanians are of Palestinian origin.

Secondly, Rania has in the beginning of her role as Queen indicated her support for the Palestinian cause by leading a march and also calling for equal rights for Palestinians living in Jordan. So, in my opinion, she should do something now regarding the Palestinian situation even if other first ladies are not doing anything because (1) she is Palestinian and (2) she has created an image in the media for herself as someone who is active in important issues.

She could at least write a letter to newspaper (like she did in 2000 or 2001) in support of the Palestinians or Lebanese.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

I dont get it. I've said this several times now.
She is fundraising through her NGO, JRF, (running an ad campaign) and sending aid to the effected areas.
What else do you want her to do?
When it is felt appropriate for her to make some sort of statement in the media, we will see it, we always do.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe i am wrong to say this..... Doesn't matter if the Queen is Palestinin. She is A muslim like her Husband. True to faith. Is that more important than what region you were born. She has a true understanding what it is to be Muslim and hard work , her human kindness and sympathy has proven over and over again many times . She is one person who could only be in one place at a time, but her heart and soul is spread evenly.. Hope I make some sense.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Lisa Remy
Maybe i am wrong to say this..... Doesn't matter if the Queen is Palestinin. She is A muslim like her Husband. True to faith. Is that more important than what region you were born. She has a true understanding what it is to be Muslim and hard work , her human kindness and sympathy has proven over and over again many times . She is one person who could only be in one place at a time, but her heart and soul is spread evenly.. Hope I make some sense.
It makes sense. It just seems many want to know where she is during these difficult times. In the absence of information--as we all know--speculation abounds. Is she on a lavish trip? Is she uncaring and choosing to be elsewhere? The truth is we don't know where Queen Rania is right now and that leads to speculation, rumor and gossip--unfortunately.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Aristocracy

One thing we can speculate. She is in a save place..........
Old 07-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Serene Highness

i feel quite strongly the the Queen is heartbroken by the horrible things happening to innocent people. i would imagine she is working very hard to alleviate the suffering wherever she can. but imo she should not be making "political" statements that could make the situation worse or make her husbands peace making job harder. i would be very surprised if she was on vacation at this tense and dangerous time, i just don't believe it.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Gentry

I agree with Humera concerning her points on Rania and whether she should be speaking out/taking some form of action regarding this matter.

Also, why the repeated asides about her holiday? Is she not allowed to go on one as others do (if they can afford to and she obviously can). How do you know she is on holiday? Does her being on holiday mean that she stops thinking about what is happening? If she came back, what is she expected to do?

Rania is now married to the King of Jordan and her loyalties lie with her husband. Yes she originated form Palestine I understand but she is Queen of Jordan now and with that come certain responsiblities towards that country and most importantly supporting and protecting Abdullah.

Rania would do herself no favours speaking out of turn or taking some kind of action that in this current climate would inflame an already very upsetting and volatile situation. Her husband would not thank her, her "government" would not thank her and probably many others waiting to point fingers at her for "upstaging" her husband would take great glee in her actions.

As Humera said, she is fund raising and doing many things to help as best she can, when and if the time is right I am certain she will say something but she and Abdullah are a team I always feel and her loyalty will be towards him FIRST and foremost (as would be the case with any husband/wife) and no one should expect her to go against that, it's not fair to expect her to be all things to all people. She is a human being torn between various "loyalties" I'm sure at a time like this and I'm certain her husband whilst realising how difficult this must be for her personally, welcomes the fact he has a wife smart enough to maintain a silence when required.

And perhaps now is such a time?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

well said snowwhite.
This situation is already stirring up too many emotions, and since it is so obviously out of our hands all the anxiety is unfortunately being directed in the wrong direction. The best we can do now is adopt the wait and see approach.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Let's try to keep the thread focused on the current events/news of Abdullah and Rania. I know the situation in Lebanon is extremely sensitive, and the posts thus far are examples on why politics should not be discussed in the forum.

From this point on, all posts related to the conflict in Lebanon will be removed without ANY WARNING.

If you have any questions, please contact any of the moderators.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

King Abdullah on a brief visit to Kuwait:

Article:Petra

Pictures (Petra)
Old 07-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
How do you know she's on vacation? The rest of us dont seem to be privy to that information.
by not seeing her and you saying "July is usually about the time the King and Queen go on vacation and/or shopping trips." Post #100 thread 17 (this thread)
Old 07-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ
by not seeing her and you saying "July is usually about the time the King and Queen go on vacation and/or shopping trips." Post #100 thread 17 (this thread)
The Queen is obviously in Jordan:

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Jul/25/13641I.htm