The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

With the incredible unrest in the Middle East and King Abdullah becoming involved, this must be a very difficult time for the King, Queen and country right now. Is QR back in Jordan now? The last I heard she was in Spain but I can't imagine she's still there. I think this is their vacation time--well, KA's has obviously been put on hold--but I was wondering if she had returned to the country......

Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange
Did anybody see "Petra: A Quest for Hope?" It aired today (or really, last night) on the Discovery Times channel. It was a really good program, and King Abdullah either hosted it or had a part in organizing it, and it had all the Nobel Laureates meeting, and the program's host, Ted Koppel talked to the King and Elie Wiesel and four other prominient Nobel prize winners.

I was really impressed with King Abdullah, and he sounded very intelligent, and very interested in what the conference was trying to accomplish. Is he an absolute monarch or constitutional monarch? If the latter, how great are his powers? Is he a figurehead? He seems very educated and knows what he is talking about.
First, I missed the special on King Hussein; now this. Fortunately, the Discovery Channel often rebroadcasts shows. If anyone hears if/when it's being broadcast again, please let us know. I would like to hear from KA and the Nobel Laureates. Koppel is an excellent interviewer so I would think it would have been a very good show. Thanks for the update!:)

Old 07-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Gentry

I agree with maryshawn 100%. I've been a fan of Rania for some years now, since she became Queen really. I've watched her develop as a woman not only in her style of dress etc but in the her work and yes I agree that she looks radiant at the moment. I am not a muslim let me just say and I look at everything from a very "western" perspective for want of a better word.

However, I can see what a fine line she has to tread between respecting her traditions/customs but also daring to push the envelope and embrace the west. It may seem superficial to others but Rania is often on the cover of many magazines in the west (as I'm sure many of you will know) for her work and yes of course because of her stunning looks and dress sense. She has found a style that she is comfortable with, she looks much younger than her 35 years, her makeup is perfect and her dress sense is usually now infallable.

She works very hard on behalf of charities and projects around the world and talks articulately and intelligently about matters which do not thankfully focus on her shoe size or what dress designer she is favouring this month.

And yet Rania realises that she has to pay attention to these things in order to bring media attention to her causes and her country no matter how superficial that may seem to others. Her picture will grace a magazine front cover far more than a picture of someone whilst perhaps equally worthy not nearly so glamourous or "photo friendly" - this is a fact of life.

To me Rania represents a great role model. And to westerners who may sometimes have this preconceived view that women from countries such as Jordan etc walk around covered in a black "sack", unable to leave the house, under constant oppression of their husbands and family and generally with no rights - she is a something to be proud of as she blows those misconceptions clear out the window.

She is helped enormously in this by the pride and love that King Abdullah shows towards her and the obvious respect he has towards his wife. Which I feel is visible when he looks at her and speaks about her. She is lucky to have chosen well in such a husband and he is equally lucky to have such a beautiful, intelligent wife and good mother to his children by his side.

I realise that that muslim women still have many barriers to cross to obtain the equality they seek and perhaps there are some who do not feel any changes need to be made but I hope that girls growing up who see Rania on TV or in a magazine will look at her and think what may be different opportunites are available to them never dreamed of by their mothers/grandmothers.

For those of you who have Rania as you queen you should be proud of her. It saddens me when people criticise the cost of her clothing, how much jewellery she may own and whether she has had plastic surgery. It is her actions that count and to me she works hard and diligently for her country and at the same time retaining her own sense of character and personality.

Apologies for the long post.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:42 AM
Serene Highness

Queen Rania and King Abdalah hosted an Unrepeatable Meeting In Petra

Twenty Five Nobel Prizes, Presidents and magnates united around the theme "Help A Planet in Danger"

(Next to Jordan Kings on the right Simon Peres - Peace Nobel Prize 1994, besides him Betty Williams - Peace Nobel Prize 1976. On King's left Elie Wiesel - Peace Nobel Prize 1986 with wife Marion. Surrounded by Nobel Prizes Awarded in Areas like Economy, Literature, Phisics, Chemistry and Medicine)

Thousand of candles lightened a wonderful show happened under the stars in the sky at the Rose City.

Queen Rania was wearing the traditional caftán embroidered with silk.

Kings of Jordan pose with young and brilliant violin player, Sirena Huang and Roberto Alagna.

(Source: Hola magazine)
Old 07-21-2006, 05:46 AM
Serene Highness

Images of the concert held at the doors of Treasure Palace of Petra

Queen Rania made a quick visit to Madrid to participate in an International Meeting. The Queen took advantage of her trip to pay a visit to Museo del Prado to see the exhibition "Picasso, tradicíon y vanguardia."

(Source: Hola magazine)
Old 07-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Nobility

My goodness, but Jordan is so beautiful. And Rania and Abdullah must be the handsomest royal couple in the world.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Serene Highness

very good post snowwhite, i agree with every point.
petra looks beautiful at night, my gosh i've always wanted to visit, now even more so. i have a ton of books on petra but i know it couldn't possibly compare to in person. the queen looks so pretty in the photos thanks for the post.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Courtier

is this new?? I thought it was a month ago???please anyone knows?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil Monkey
is this new?? I thought it was a month ago???please anyone knows?
Yes Lil Monkey this event was in june 21 in Petra, but the spanish magazine Hola! have these pics this week:)
Old 07-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Courtier

her caftan is very beautiful - especially the detail around the neckline...is this elie saab inspired becuase it looks like something he would create.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Aristocracy

This event was in May and its the frist I am hearing about it. Petra, You only hear about it in History classes and movies, but actually to be their and see it for your own eyes must be something. All of you who live in areas where i consider the oldest stories have taken place and only to hear about it in classes and bible stories. To all of you, you are livig in the greatest place. Not knocking Canada down. Love my country to death, I, who got a B.A. In Art History , only dreams of going and seeing it for myself. Must of been a grand night for all thoses who attended. One day I wish to visit Petra? Thanks for the lovely pictures makes me dream even more.....
Old 07-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Gentry

Petra looks lovely, just beautiful, I've always wanted to go - may be one day.

And I love Rania in these caftan's she wears - mauve/purple is a lovely colour on her - although she looks great in most colours I feel.

She really is very beautiful not just on the outside though I feel.

I believe she looks just as wonderful in western styles as she does in more traditional - and she does wear traditional styles whatever people might say.

I like that orange top she wore in Madrid more from the front than from that side view - it doesn't look so "fitted" from the angle of that photo for some reason.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Thank you so much for the pictures mtbcm!
I remember someone posted thumbnails from newscom of this gala and I was so disappointed at not having been able to see the full pictures. I've been wanting to see the rest of that gorgeous dress of Queen Rania's since then.
Thanks again.

PS. the event took place in June. It was part of the Nobel Laureates conference.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

JRF launches aid campaign for Palestinians, Lebanese

AMMAN, July 21 (JT) — The Jordan River Foundation (JRF) on Thursday launched an aid campaign for the Palestinian and Lebanese peoples, as civil society institutions organized rallies and postponed festivities in light of continued Israeli attacks.
The foundation called on citizens to express their support through cash and material donations at the JRF headquarters in Abdoun. Relief Web

This campaign is being held under Queen Rania's patronage. (I even got an email from the Jordan River Foundation, I guess Im on their mailing list, with the details of where donations can be made)
Old 07-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Aristocracy

im suprised queen rania is no participating with them since she is a palestinian at least she could show some solidarity with her people. But i guess she wont let anything interfere with her summer holiday
Old 07-22-2006, 03:57 PM

I hope that she suffers in this situation.....
Old 07-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaqruga
I hope that she suffers in this situation.....
I'm not quite sure why you would purposely hope for someone to suffer? Whether one likes Rania or not, hoping that she suffers is rather excessive and mean isn't it?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:27 PM

of course she is not guilty in this situation, even to claim her is ridiculous, illogical, unreasonable......

I want to mean that she represent her origional country and jordan... you know when one country's president say or do something wrong, all the country suffer for that... for instance Iraq..... saddam in not a good man at americans perspective, but not only him but also all the ıraqies live suffer....

clearly I want to see her reactions... because she's in a very significant condition....

if she had represented the government, believe me, I wouldn't have interested her ideas.......
Old 07-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

King Abdullah II (R) of Jordan shakes hands with French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy prior to talks in Amman 22 July 2006. Abdallah insisted on the need for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon to open the road to diplomacy

from profimedia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NWS-1130087.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	256346   Click image for larger version

Name:	NWS-1130124.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	256347  
Old 07-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Gentry

How do you know she does not sympathise with the Palestinian people? Have you spoken with her? Does she have to say something publicly every time in order to affirm what she may or may not feel?

She may be feeling many things but it is her decision when or if she chooses to speak or take action in her own way about it surely. And I have a feeling if she did say something publicly many people would probably take issue with her for upsetting the situation still further - I don't think she can win whatever she does quite frankly.

And I hope that you don't want her to suffer, I think that is not a pleasant thing to wish on anyone, what has she done that specifically deserves such feelings of antipathy towards her?

You mention IF she was part of the government you would want to know what she thought but she is not - she is royalty and the wife of the king and it is probably not appropriate for her to make any statement that is "political". Rather like the royal family in Britain who are disuaded from making any comments without government approval - it just causes problems for their ministers.

I realise that Jordan's monarchy is much more powerful that the British one but they are still not the government.