The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I think queen Rania is doing a magnificent job promoting the Middle East and whether people think she is most beautiful or not does not matter. Beauty comes from within and she certainly is beautiful on the inside. We westerners relate to her easily because of the way she dresses and speaks out and we listen when she opens her mouth. Her being of Palestinian origin makes me hope that she will be able to contribute to peace in the Palestinia/Israel situation.

I agree with you, i think Queen Rania works really hard for her country and she never stoping trying to improve the lives of her citizins, there will always be people who will critize her but thats only part of the Job!

Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

AMMAN, JORDAN - JULY 11: In this handout photo provided by the Palestinian Authority, President Mahmoud Abbas (L) Jordanian King Abdallah II attend talks, July 11, 2006 in Amman, Jordan. Abbas briefly visited Jordan "to discuss political developments in the region", holding two meetings with Bakhit. (Photo by PPO via Getty Images)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71415735.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	254333   Click image for larger version

Name:	71415737.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	254334  

Old 07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

King Opens Preliminary Meeting of "We Are All Jordan" Forum

Amman, July 12 (Petra)--His Majesty King Abdullah II called for putting together priorities that Jordanians aspire to achieve in the coming stage and draw up an action plan for implementation.

"What we aspire for is an agreement by the majority on a working program to develop Jordan and make its future," the King said during the preliminary meeting of "We are all Jordan" forum at the King Hussein Bin Talal Center for Conference at the Dead Sea.

The forum is attended by about 700 figures from the official, popular, and youth sectors and civil society institutions from all governorates. Petra

Text of King Abdullah's speech

Pictures from Petra
Old 07-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

From Hola.com:
Queen Rania in Spain
http://www.hola.com/actualidad/imgAc...&currentImg=16

Old 07-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Serene Highness

Since the sale of the family home in London:

Washingtonian
Apparently, their 60-acre estate in England has also been put on the market. Next to the British royal family's Windsor Castle, it is listed at about $25 million. Queen Noor and King Hussein had celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary there, surrounded by many royals, plus stars like Harrison Ford.

I know the proceeds were put in a Family Trust but wondered if KA/QR have their own home there now or stay in a hotel like the Savoy, which KH once favored.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I guess we will never know why the estate was put on market.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Nobility

They do have a massive new house in Central London where they stay when they are in town.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi (L) waves as he is greeted by Jordan's King Abdullah upon his arrival for a banquet at the royal palace in the Red Sea port of Aqaba July 13, 2006. King Abdullah's younger sister Princess Laya is seen behind them.

King Abdullah (L) meets with Lebanese parliament majority leader Saad al-Hariri at the Royal Palace in the Red Sea port city of Aqaba, Jordan, July 13, 2006.

from yahoo/reuters
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	r2698390383.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	254557   Click image for larger version

Name:	r3302287007.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	254558   Click image for larger version

Name:	r3651816421.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	254559   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	254560  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	254561  
Old 07-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

good to see Princess Raiyah there as well.
There's to be a dinner banquet for the Japenese pm tonight, hosted by King Abdullah.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Japanese PM Arrives in Jordan

Aqaba, July 13 (Petra) -- Within a regional tour, Japan Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi arrived in Jordan in a three-day official visit.

Koizumi will hold talks with His Majesty King Abdullah II on relations between Jordan and Japan and the latest developments in the Middle East. Petra

Pictures from Petra

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi (L) and Jordan's King Abdullah exchange smiles as they arrive at Koizumi's hotel in a car driven by the King in the Red Sea port of Aqaba, Jordan, July 13, 2006. REUTERS/Koichi Nakamura/JAPAN POOL

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi (L) talks with Jordan's King Abdullah before a banquet at the royal palace in the Red Sea port of Aqaba, Jordan, July 13, 2006. REUTERS/Satoshi Arai/JAPAN POOL

King Patronizes opening of Prince Hashem Bin Abdullah Navy Base
Pictures from Petra
Old 07-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Courtier

I wonder why there haven't been any more pics or news about Rania's visit to Madrid. When is the conference supposed to take place??
Old 07-17-2006, 02:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak(R) meets with Jordanian King Abdullah II in Cairo on 14 July 2006. The spiralling Middle East crisis sparked by the seizure of three Israeli soldiers has exposed deep divisions within the Arab world and forced its leaders into a frank admission of helplessness.

AFP
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	afp.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	255224  
Old 07-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

I've been taking some time tonight to look over past threads on QR (and QN) and it's great to have a forum like this because you can clearly see how these women have grown into their own skin, so to speak. QR looks more radiant with each year and, while her schedule is breathtakingly busy, it seems she's really found a purposeful role for herself--be it comforting earthquake victims or the victims of the Amman bombings or engaging in family life and working with the women and children of Jordan. She seems to have truly come into her own as Queen and I applaud her efforts--particularly as she is still a comparatively young woman who inherited a role she didn't expect, plan for and really had to do a lot of "on the job" training. As many of us do, she experimented with a lot of looks but now seems to have settled into one truly reflective of herself. I like her hair--simple and long and her clothing, understated but respectful of the circumstance she happens to be in. If you have the time, I highly recommend looking through the past threads as they are very interesting in their documentation of her transformation! And I am very appreciative of all the people who took the time to help document the past seven years. Very, very nice work!:)
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Courtier

Did anybody see "Petra: A Quest for Hope?" It aired today (or really, last night) on the Discovery Times channel. It was a really good program, and King Abdullah either hosted it or had a part in organizing it, and it had all the Nobel Laureates meeting, and the program's host, Ted Koppel talked to the King and Elie Wiesel and four other prominient Nobel prize winners.

I was really impressed with King Abdullah, and he sounded very intelligent, and very interested in what the conference was trying to accomplish. Is he an absolute monarch or constitutional monarch? If the latter, how great are his powers? Is he a figurehead? He seems very educated and knows what he is talking about.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:13 AM
Courtier

KA is definitely an absolute monarch and not at all a figurehead. I think in JOrdan the system is very opposite that of European countries because the Prime Minister is basically a figurehead and can't really affect substantive issues and the King has the final say on important decisions regarding the economy and relations with other countries. But, yeah, morhange, he does sound intelligent - he knows how to talk and because of his British education, I think it's easy for americans, europeans to relate to him. Culture wise as well I think he is very America.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Nobility

On Lalla Salma/Rania,

The thing is that 'tasse de the" = "cup of tea" it is the same expression in English - Lalla Salma is not a Queen. She is demoted by her husband, though King of Morocco, to be only a Princess which reflects the idea that men are better than women.

Rania is a modern woman and her husband both treats her and styles her as his equal.

So Lalla can say what she chooses to about 'wanting' to be in her husband's shadow - Lalla has no choice in the matter, her husband has not made her a Queen. Rania outranks Lalla Salma, Rania is the Queen of Jordan, and speaking as a Westerner I find she offers a very positive image of modern, strong Islamic women, a wife, mother and partner in the Kingdom. The sight of Lalla Salma, only styled princess, is an embarassment. No wonder she is complaining although it is most unseemly of her to do it in public as she has been a guest of the Jordanian RF.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
KA is definitely an absolute monarch and not at all a figurehead. I think in JOrdan the system is very opposite that of European countries because the Prime Minister is basically a figurehead and can't really affect substantive issues and the King has the final say on important decisions regarding the economy and relations with other countries. But, yeah, morhange, he does sound intelligent - he knows how to talk and because of his British education, I think it's easy for americans, europeans to relate to him. Culture wise as well I think he is very America.
I agree with your analysis of the different roles Prime Ministers play in Europe and in Jordan and how that has an impact on substantive

issues. King Abdullah is very, very Western by speech, education, culture, and experience, therefore, many people in the west relate to all of

the above. I know absolutley nothing about how he is perceived in the East.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Gentry

Frothy the Salma/rania issue is based on the speculation of a tasteless tabloid (would you trust the Enquirer? don't think so, so why would you this case?). I don't think Salma ever made any of these comments. By the way, just because we don't see Salma often and she is not "Queen" doesn't make her any less "modern." We often question why some parts of the world don't "progress" and that's because us Westerners push our vision of "modernity" on them. Change comes from within. Just because we don't see it or we don't see what we want to see, doesn't mean it is not happening.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
Frothy the Salma/rania issue is based on the speculation of a tasteless tabloid (would you trust the Enquirer? don't think so, so why would you this case?). I don't think Salma ever made any of these comments. By the way, just because we don't see Salma often and she is not "Queen" doesn't make her any less "modern." We often question why some parts of the world don't "progress" and that's because us Westerners push our vision of "modernity" on them. Change comes from within. Just because we don't see it or we don't see what we want to see, doesn't mean it is not happening.
I agree Lara and I don't want to get off topic but I would like to say just one thing. I think Salma has come along way, et least as far as royal women in the MRF go, she is the first wife of a king to be given a royal title and publicly acknowleged. That is also in part to the King but I believe Morocco is chaning slowly and will someday get to the place where Jordan is at now. And if it doesn't then that's fine too. Lalla Salma is her own person and shouldn't be compared to Rania every second, they are both different people with different views, just like all of us, no matter what I think she will be a good representative for her country just like Rania is for hers.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Please note that this thread is about the current events of King Abdullah and Queen Rania, and not a comparison of Raina and Lalla Salma.

Any additional comments about Raina and Lalla Salma will be removed without warning.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Closed Thread