King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current News, Part 17

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~*~Humera~*~ said:
snow, did you meet the Queen in Jordan or the UK? and what was the event?
dear humera i met the queen in uk, it was not an official event we just happened to be shopping at the same time in the same store.

oh no wonder we haven't seen her for a few days.
July is usually about the time the King and Queen go on vacation and/or shopping trips.

Wait, are they in London for vacation or a state visit? Are there going to be any pictures??:confused: Thanks.

I dont think its either of those, Laraib.
Queen Rania is probably there by herself and the youngest kids.
Petra has pictures of King Abdullah and Prince Hussein in Jordan.

lizz70 said:
http://www.prospect.org/weblog/2006/06/post_592.html

For an interesting read about the King and Queen. The points this guy is making are very valid.

They are not promoting democracy in Jordania. They are first and foremost promoting peace and progress in their own area, understanding of Islam in other areas of the world and trying to eliminate poverty and unecessary deaths of women and children all over the world due to the unequal distribution of wealth and opportunities in the world and the mistakes of well-meaning richer nations trying to aid the third world making the matters worse.

I think queen Rania is doing a magnificent job promoting the Middle East and whether people think she is most beautiful or not does not matter. Beauty comes from within and she certainly is beautiful on the inside. We westerners relate to her easily because of the way she dresses and speaks out and we listen when she opens her mouth. Her being of Palestinian origin makes me hope that she will be able to contribute to peace in the Palestinia/Israel situation.

The interview in Washington Life Magasin was excellent and gives a clear idea what the royal couple stands for. I wish them all the luck in the future.

They were all in UK but they returned Home yesterday Humera!

obviously this was one of those short, private visits.
Thanks lil_Monkey.

Jordan-Spain 10-07-2006
Queen Rania of Jordan travels to Spain to participate in GAVI

Queen Rania of Jordan will arrive tomorrow at Madrid to participate in the meeting of the Council of the Global Alliance of Vaccinations and Immunization (GAVI, in its abbreviations in English), today informed the hachemí Real House in an official notice.
The note remembers that Rania shows the presidency of the Global Campaign for the Infantile Immunization and details that during the meeting of Madrid the tending strategies will be reviewed to increase the levels of the immunization and to invest the global disparities to facilitate the access to the vaccinations.
Queen Rania will take advantage of her stay in the Spanish capital to visit the Museum of the Prado, adds the official notice.

http://actualidad.terra.es/nacional/articulo/reina_rania_jordania_espana_gavi_976174.htm

Queen Rania of Jordan leaves her hotel in Madrid, Spain, on Tuesday 11 July 2006. Queen Rania attends at the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization meeting in Madrid

from anp

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 484
Donna said:
I think queen Rania is doing a magnificent job promoting the Middle East and whether people think she is most beautiful or not does not matter. Beauty comes from within and she certainly is beautiful on the inside. We westerners relate to her easily because of the way she dresses and speaks out and we listen when she opens her mouth. Her being of Palestinian origin makes me hope that she will be able to contribute to peace in the Palestinia/Israel situation.

I agree with you, i think Queen Rania works really hard for her country and she never stoping trying to improve the lives of her citizins, there will always be people who will critize her but thats only part of the Job!:rolleyes:

AMMAN, JORDAN - JULY 11: In this handout photo provided by the Palestinian Authority, President Mahmoud Abbas (L) Jordanian King Abdallah II attend talks, July 11, 2006 in Amman, Jordan. Abbas briefly visited Jordan "to discuss political developments in the region", holding two meetings with Bakhit. (Photo by PPO via Getty Images)

Attachments

• 71415735.jpg
    71415735.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 71415737.jpg
    71415737.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 156
King Opens Preliminary Meeting of "We Are All Jordan" Forum

Amman, July 12 (Petra)--His Majesty King Abdullah II called for putting together priorities that Jordanians aspire to achieve in the coming stage and draw up an action plan for implementation.

"What we aspire for is an agreement by the majority on a working program to develop Jordan and make its future," the King said during the preliminary meeting of "We are all Jordan" forum at the King Hussein Bin Talal Center for Conference at the Dead Sea.

The forum is attended by about 700 figures from the official, popular, and youth sectors and civil society institutions from all governorates. Petra

Text of King Abdullah's speech

Pictures from Petra

Since the sale of the family home in London:

Washingtonian
Apparently, their 60-acre estate in England has also been put on the market. Next to the British royal family's Windsor Castle, it is listed at about $25 million. Queen Noor and King Hussein had celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary there, surrounded by many royals, plus stars like Harrison Ford.

I know the proceeds were put in a Family Trust but wondered if KA/QR have their own home there now or stay in a hotel like the Savoy, which KH once favored.:confused:

I guess we will never know why the estate was put on market.

They do have a massive new house in Central London where they stay when they are in town.

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi (L) waves as he is greeted by Jordan's King Abdullah upon his arrival for a banquet at the royal palace in the Red Sea port of Aqaba July 13, 2006. King Abdullah's younger sister Princess Laya is seen behind them.

King Abdullah (L) meets with Lebanese parliament majority leader Saad al-Hariri at the Royal Palace in the Red Sea port city of Aqaba, Jordan, July 13, 2006.

from yahoo/reuters

Attachments

• r2698390383.jpg
    r2698390383.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 313
  • r3302287007.jpg
    r3302287007.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 156
  • r3651816421.jpg
    r3651816421.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
good to see Princess Raiyah there as well.
There's to be a dinner banquet for the Japenese pm tonight, hosted by King Abdullah.

Japanese PM Arrives in Jordan

Aqaba, July 13 (Petra) -- Within a regional tour, Japan Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi arrived in Jordan in a three-day official visit.

Koizumi will hold talks with His Majesty King Abdullah II on relations between Jordan and Japan and the latest developments in the Middle East. Petra

Pictures from Petra

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi (L) and Jordan's King Abdullah exchange smiles as they arrive at Koizumi's hotel in a car driven by the King in the Red Sea port of Aqaba, Jordan, July 13, 2006. REUTERS/Koichi Nakamura/JAPAN POOL

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi (L) talks with Jordan's King Abdullah before a banquet at the royal palace in the Red Sea port of Aqaba, Jordan, July 13, 2006. REUTERS/Satoshi Arai/JAPAN POOL

King Patronizes opening of Prince Hashem Bin Abdullah Navy Base
Pictures from Petra

I wonder why there haven't been any more pics or news about Rania's visit to Madrid. When is the conference supposed to take place??

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak(R) meets with Jordanian King Abdullah II in Cairo on 14 July 2006. The spiralling Middle East crisis sparked by the seizure of three Israeli soldiers has exposed deep divisions within the Arab world and forced its leaders into a frank admission of helplessness.

AFP

Attachments

• afp.jpg
    afp.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 229
I've been taking some time tonight to look over past threads on QR (and QN) and it's great to have a forum like this because you can clearly see how these women have grown into their own skin, so to speak. QR looks more radiant with each year and, while her schedule is breathtakingly busy, it seems she's really found a purposeful role for herself--be it comforting earthquake victims or the victims of the Amman bombings or engaging in family life and working with the women and children of Jordan. She seems to have truly come into her own as Queen and I applaud her efforts--particularly as she is still a comparatively young woman who inherited a role she didn't expect, plan for and really had to do a lot of "on the job" training. As many of us do, she experimented with a lot of looks but now seems to have settled into one truly reflective of herself. I like her hair--simple and long and her clothing, understated but respectful of the circumstance she happens to be in. If you have the time, I highly recommend looking through the past threads as they are very interesting in their documentation of her transformation! And I am very appreciative of all the people who took the time to help document the past seven years. Very, very nice work!:)

Did anybody see "Petra: A Quest for Hope?" It aired today (or really, last night) on the Discovery Times channel. It was a really good program, and King Abdullah either hosted it or had a part in organizing it, and it had all the Nobel Laureates meeting, and the program's host, Ted Koppel talked to the King and Elie Wiesel and four other prominient Nobel prize winners.

I was really impressed with King Abdullah, and he sounded very intelligent, and very interested in what the conference was trying to accomplish. Is he an absolute monarch or constitutional monarch? If the latter, how great are his powers? Is he a figurehead? He seems very educated and knows what he is talking about.

KA is definitely an absolute monarch and not at all a figurehead. I think in JOrdan the system is very opposite that of European countries because the Prime Minister is basically a figurehead and can't really affect substantive issues and the King has the final say on important decisions regarding the economy and relations with other countries. But, yeah, morhange, he does sound intelligent - he knows how to talk and because of his British education, I think it's easy for americans, europeans to relate to him. Culture wise as well I think he is very America.

On Lalla Salma/Rania,

The thing is that 'tasse de the" = "cup of tea" it is the same expression in English - Lalla Salma is not a Queen. She is demoted by her husband, though King of Morocco, to be only a Princess which reflects the idea that men are better than women.

Rania is a modern woman and her husband both treats her and styles her as his equal.

So Lalla can say what she chooses to about 'wanting' to be in her husband's shadow - Lalla has no choice in the matter, her husband has not made her a Queen. Rania outranks Lalla Salma, Rania is the Queen of Jordan, and speaking as a Westerner I find she offers a very positive image of modern, strong Islamic women, a wife, mother and partner in the Kingdom. The sight of Lalla Salma, only styled princess, is an embarassment. No wonder she is complaining although it is most unseemly of her to do it in public as she has been a guest of the Jordanian RF.

madonna23 said:
KA is definitely an absolute monarch and not at all a figurehead. I think in JOrdan the system is very opposite that of European countries because the Prime Minister is basically a figurehead and can't really affect substantive issues and the King has the final say on important decisions regarding the economy and relations with other countries. But, yeah, morhange, he does sound intelligent - he knows how to talk and because of his British education, I think it's easy for americans, europeans to relate to him. Culture wise as well I think he is very America.

I agree with your analysis of the different roles Prime Ministers play in Europe and in Jordan and how that has an impact on substantive

issues. King Abdullah is very, very Western by speech, education, culture, and experience, therefore, many people in the west relate to all of

the above. I know absolutley nothing about how he is perceived in the East.

Frothy the Salma/rania issue is based on the speculation of a tasteless tabloid (would you trust the Enquirer? don't think so, so why would you this case?). I don't think Salma ever made any of these comments. By the way, just because we don't see Salma often and she is not "Queen" doesn't make her any less "modern." We often question why some parts of the world don't "progress" and that's because us Westerners push our vision of "modernity" on them. Change comes from within. Just because we don't see it or we don't see what we want to see, doesn't mean it is not happening.

Lara said:
Frothy the Salma/rania issue is based on the speculation of a tasteless tabloid (would you trust the Enquirer? don't think so, so why would you this case?). I don't think Salma ever made any of these comments. By the way, just because we don't see Salma often and she is not "Queen" doesn't make her any less "modern." We often question why some parts of the world don't "progress" and that's because us Westerners push our vision of "modernity" on them. Change comes from within. Just because we don't see it or we don't see what we want to see, doesn't mean it is not happening.

I agree Lara and I don't want to get off topic but I would like to say just one thing. I think Salma has come along way, et least as far as royal women in the MRF go, she is the first wife of a king to be given a royal title and publicly acknowleged. That is also in part to the King but I believe Morocco is chaning slowly and will someday get to the place where Jordan is at now. And if it doesn't then that's fine too. Lalla Salma is her own person and shouldn't be compared to Rania every second, they are both different people with different views, just like all of us, no matter what I think she will be a good representative for her country just like Rania is for hers.

Please note that this thread is about the current events of King Abdullah and Queen Rania, and not a comparison of Raina and Lalla Salma.

Any additional comments about Raina and Lalla Salma will be removed without warning.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom