King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current News, Part 13

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
Welcome to Part 13 of Current News about King Abdullah and Queen Rania of Jordan.

You can find the previous thread here.

Please keep in mind our Posting Rules & Guidelines.

Please remember to provide sources for all articles and images. And please remember to post ony 20% of an article followed by a link to the rest of the article.

And finally, please remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinons and all opinons are welcome, so long as they are expressed respectfully.

Yesterday, 11:40 PM
lizz
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

Naveh reprimanded for Jordanian doomsday remarks

By YAAKOV KATZ AND KHALED ABU TOAMEH

Israel washed its hands clean on Thursday of OC Central Command Maj.-Gen. Yair Naveh's warning a day earlier that King Abdullah risked being toppled by an "Islamist axis" and could be the last king of Jordan.

IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Dan Halutz reprimanded Naveh during a meeting of the General Staff at the Kirya military headquarters in Tel Aviv Thursday and called on all military officers, especially those in senior positions, to demonstrate caution and sensitivity when speaking in public. Halutz was also referring to his deputy Maj.-Gen. Moshe Kaplinsky, who said on Wednesday that Israel had discerned the first signs of instability within Hosni Mubarak's powerful regime in Egypt.

"A careless remark could be misinterpreted and taken out of its context," Halutz warned his senior staff. "It could turn into something that could drag the IDF into an unnecessary public debate and misrepresent policies and positions of Israel and the IDF."

Speaking Wednesday at a closed-door briefing with diplomats and foreign journalists at the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, Naveh warned of the Hamas's rise to power and the possibility that an "axis of evil" beginning in Iran could negatively affect the Jordanian regime.

"Hamas is gathering strength and a dangerous axis starting in Iran and continuing through Iraq and Jordan is in the process of formation," Naveh said. "I don't want to be a prophet but I am not sure there will be another king after King Abdullah."

Jordanian diplomats who were present at the meeting reacted strongly and Wednesday night threatened to cut back ties with Israel if Naveh was not disciplined. On Thursday, however, the Jordanian charge d'affairs in Israel, Omar Nazif, backed down from threats he issued a day earlier and told The Jerusalem Post he believed the Hashemite kingdom had accepted the various Israeli clarifications.

King Abdullah, Jordanian security officials said Thursday, was "furious" over Naveh's remarks. "His Majesty is very angry," the officials told the Post. "He believes that Naveh's remarks reflect official government thinking in Israel."

The officials pointed out that Jordan and Israel have had "excellent" security relations over the past years and that the two sides have been cooperating in the war against terror.

"It's not clear to us why Naveh made these remarks, especially when you take into consideration the excellent relations we have in all fields," the officials said. "These remarks could create a lot of problems for Jordan."

Acting Prime Minster Ehud Olmert spoke briefly Thursday with King Abdullah and, according to sources in the Prime Minister's Office, clarified that Naveh's comments did not reflect Israeli policy.

The sources said the conversation was "pleasant," and that the two men agreed to meet after the Israeli elections. The sources said the conversation was arranged by Israeli and Jordanian defense officials who are in close contact.

Jordan's news agency Petra had a different spin on the telephone call , saying that Olmert apologized and "expressed condemnation" over Naveh's statements.

The Petra report said Olmert "expressed appreciation over the efforts exerted by His Majesty King Abdullah to restore peace and stability to the region."

Israeli security officials also dismissed on Thursday Naveh's remarks as an "unfortunate mistake." Israel, they said, had an "excellent" relationship with Jordan, especially when it came to security coordination. Both countries, officials explained, were facing similar threats from the growing presence of global Jihad and al-Qaida in Jordan and the radical group's attempts to gain influence among local Palestinian terror organizations in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

An Israeli general has apologised to Jordanian King Abdullah for saying he might be the last of the Hashemite dynasty to rule Jordan.
Jordan insisted Maj Gen Yair Naveh be reprimanded after he said the king risked being toppled by an "Islamist axis" stretching from Iran to Gaza. The Israeli government has distanced itself from Gen Naveh's comments.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4743244.stm
I can think of other countries that need to worry about that more, Saudi Arabia being the first.

I think one should see things very superficially to stick to the thesis of extremist islamists as the main reason which could precipitate the end of the reign of KA.

I doubt very strong that a kingdom like KSA would worry about that,because simply the difference between the Jordanian and the Saudi monarchy is the the amount of support that they have each.

Jordan was always just a buffer zone in order to make work easy around for some geostrategic and geopolitic purposes,when those purposes will be reached,so one could imagine what can happen...

Monalisa said:
I think one should see things very superficially to stick to the thesis of extremist islamists as the main reason which could precipitate the end of the reign of KA.

I doubt very strong that a kingdom like KSA would worry about that,because simply the difference between the Jordanian and the Saudi monarchy is the the amount of support that they have each.

Jordan was always just a buffer zone in order to make work easy around for some geostrategic and geopolitic purposes,when those purposes will be reached,so one could imagine what can happen...

Yes, I just thought the slant of the article was interesting

lizz70 said:
Yes, I just thought the slant of the article was interesting

Yes,thanks for posting the article,and pointing the things how they happen really,and not how some want to show them or to see them.

Monalisa said:
Yes,thanks for posting the article,and pointing the things how they happen really,and not how some want to show them or to see them.

My pleasure Monalisa. I do feel it is best to get a balanced picture even if it sometimes means that the viewpoint is not the same as one's own opinion. Not everything can be sugar coated :)

Monalisa said:

there is a book, sort of like nostradamus but to with islam. it stated that abdulla would be the last king - not specifiying which abdulla. the orthdox jews base alot of their beliefs on the coming of the torah, it could have been predicted in a certain to them, the way it was predicted to the muslims.

ZZZ said:
there is a book, sort of like nostradamus but to with islam. it stated that abdulla would be the last king - not specifiying which abdulla. the orthdox jews base alot of their beliefs on the coming of the torah, it could have been predicted in a certain to them, the way it was predicted to the muslims.

Well, as people grow ever more educated and sophisticated I do think these old style paternalistic monarchies will become more and more of a dinosaur.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me as wasn't there mention in Queen Noor's book 'Leap of Faith' that said at one point even King Hussein thought he would live out his days in exile in the UK.

Everything to it's own time inshaallah.

lizz70 said:
Also, it wouldn't surprise me as wasn't there mention in Queen Noor's book 'Leap of Faith' that said at one point even King Hussein thought he would live out his days in exile in the UK.

Everything to it's own time inshaallah.

If even The King thought such as thing,this simply shows that the jordanian monarchy was never a strong one,and it's not the extemists who will precipitate it end,as the islamist movement is new in the scene.

I'll have to reread it as I must have missed that part. Interesting if the King thought he might have ended his days in exile.

Monalisa said:
If even The King thought such as thing,this simply shows that the jordanian monarchy was never a strong one,and it's not the extemists who will precipitate it end,as the islamist movement is new in the scene.

well, i think the islamic movement does poes a threat to the monarchy as do any secular movements on the scene. there was an article on the bbc that said that bashar assad of syria had sent all these people to iraq to fight and what not and he did this to remove them from syria. but, ironically, these people have started to come back and now they are using the tactics they have learned in iraq to try to overthrow the regime.

i think the same thing could happen in jordan...the islamic movement is very strong and the monarchy attempts to contain it by having state imams and issuing things like the "amman message" and trying to appear religious (i don't know, they could very well be religious). however, the islamic movement does not really buy this.

plus, when you couple this with secular resentment - well....

madonna23 said:
well, i think the islamic movement does poes a threat to the monarchy as do any secular movements on the scene. there was an article on the bbc that said that bashar assad of syria had sent all these people to iraq to fight and what not and he did this to remove them from syria. but, ironically, these people have started to come back and now they are using the tactics they have learned in iraq to try to overthrow the regime.

i think the same thing could happen in jordan...the islamic movement is very strong and the monarchy attempts to contain it by having state imams and issuing things like the "amman message" and trying to appear religious (i don't know, they could very well be religious). however, the islamic movement does not really buy this.

plus, when you couple this with secular resentment - well....

It's sure that the islamist movement involvement could be one of the reasons which would precipitate the end of the hashemite monarchy,but what I want to say,it's absolutly not the main reason,and KA as a ruler would have and have his part of responsablity in that.

As I said before,the Jordanian monarchy was never strong,but there was time where dissatisfaction and unhappyness was much more less than what how it's now,for many reasons... related basically to the ruler and his relation with the jordanians and kind of wisdom and diplomacy used by king Hussein and also his former crown prince Hassan,in some issues things which lack actually with KA&QR...

Last edited:
oh yeah, i agree monalisa. its the islamic movement, plus secularists. and a good part of it is because of Abdullah himself.

also, i don't think we all can compare jordan to saudi. the islamic movement poses a threat to both of these countries but not anywhere near the same level. the saudis have oil, and for the forseeable future, the americans and europeans will do anything to keep that oil. the jordanians have no resources. the only reason why the u.s. supports it is because the alternative (islamics or nationalists) would be much worse for them.

I wouldn't over-emphasize the oil issue. Its not going to last forever and the west, especially the Americans, are quite wary of supporting corrupt oil-rich sheikhs just for the oil. There is a bigger effort to turn towards alternative sources of energy.
Not to mention the fact that the biggest supplier of oil to the US is Canada! followed by Mexico.

though the oil may not last forever, for the forseeable future the u.s. needs it. even after oil is not needed, the saudis are very rich so they are very diff from the jordanians. the saudis, therefore, right now have strong support from the west and in the future at least will have wealth. these are buffers that jordan does not have.

a

Jordan may not have the buffers, but I doubt Jordanians feel that their country is dispensible. You dont see many Jordanians on this board making such statements. Just because they're not wealthy doesnt mean they dont have pride their nation. Lots of countries have been in worse shape and pulled through. So have Jordanian monarchs like King Hussein.
And like i said, oil isn't much of a buffer for the SA or the other oil-rich arab states because even these countries are realizing that its not going to last nearly as long, hence the efforts to modernize and develop in places like the Gulf.
The importance of oil from these nations is exaggerated. The US is increasingly leaning towards looking to other sources, and countries. US politicians already have their eyes on the vast oil fields in Alberta, Canada.

Monalisa said:
It's sure that the islamist movement involvement could be one of the reasons which would precipitate the end of the hashemite monarchy,but what I want to say,it's absolutly not the main reason,and KA as a ruler would have and have his part of responsablity in that.

As I said before,the Jordanian monarchy was never strong,but there was time where dissatisfaction and unhappyness was much more less than what how it's now,for many reasons... related basically to the ruler and his relation with the jordanians and kind of wisdom and diplomacy used by king Hussein and also his former crown prince Hassan,in some issues things which lack actually with KA&QR...

I would agree with this, he lacks the charisma, political savvy and diplomacy skills of his late father and of his Uncle Hassan - to whom a great deal is owed.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Jordan may not have the buffers, but I doubt Jordanians feel that their country is dispensible. You dont see many Jordanians on this board making such statements. Just because they're not wealthy doesnt mean they dont have pride their nation. Lots of countries have been in worse shape and pulled through. So have Jordanian monarchs like King Hussein.
And like i said, oil isn't much of a buffer for the SA or the other oil-rich arab states because even these countries are realizing that its not going to last nearly as long, hence the efforts to modernize and develop in places like the Gulf.
The importance of oil from these nations is exaggerated. The US is increasingly leaning towards looking to other sources, and countries. US politicians already have their eyes on the vast oil fields in Alberta, Canada.

King Hussein did pull through, you are right Humera but the world was a different place back then. People weren't so politicized, no internet etc to disseminate a lot of info and let's face it Sidi was respected, which many people do not feel the same towards his son.

Queen of Jordan Rania Al Abdullah (L) and represantatives of TEGEV (Turkish Education Volunteers Foundation) walk in the TEGEV Educational park 24 February 2006 in Findikzade-Fatih, downtown Istanbul. Queen Rania visited the TEGEV Educational park and attended ACEV (Mother and Child Education Foundation) conference on the second day of her visit in Turkey

from getty

Attachments

• 56926861.jpg
    56926861.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 539
  • 56926888.jpg
    56926888.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 56926875.jpg
    56926875.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 324
  • 56926903.jpg
    56926903.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Monalisa said:

you're right, the Saudis have probably even less support than the Jordanian Monarchy.

The real power lies in the hands on the Mut'awa.

King Receives Moroccan Parliament Speaker</STRONG>
Pet0581 4 0603 King Receives Moroccan Parliament Speaker Amman, Feb. 23 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II stressed the importance of exerting more efforts to resume the peace process in the Middle East. During a meeting with Moroccan Parliament Speaker Abdul Wahed Al Radi and his accompanying delegation on Thursday, King Abdullah II said that the next period is very important for the future of the Palestinian issue, therefore, all the involved parties must work together to restore peace and security in the region. His Majesty reaffirmed Jordan's support to the Palestinian people to help them overcome the difficulties, particularly in the economic fields, adding that one of the challenges that the Arab nation faces is the situation in Iraq which requires from all Arab countries to work together to help the Iraqi people strengthen the security and stability in Iraq. The King pointed at the necessity of the coordination between Jordan and Morocco to show the true image about Islam and to fight the campaigns that defame it, reviewing, in this respect, the contents of Amman Message. In the presence of Parliament Speaker Abdul Hadi Majali, His Majesty the King stressed the importance of enhancing the Jordanian-Moroccan relations, especially in the parliamentary fields. King Abdullah II praised the Moroccan parties' experiment, affirming that Jordan is looking forward to have Jordanian parties with strong political and economic programs to deal with the various challenges and to take the interest of Jordan and its people into their consideration. Talks also touched to the bilateral efforts to enhance the Arab joint work. King Abdullah pointed at the importance of developing the bilateral cooperation to support youth and to fight poverty among their sectors, especially that half of the population in Jordan and Morocco are under 18 years. For his part, Radi praised the efforts exerted by His Majesty to achieve peace and stability in the Middle East and to present the true image about Islam. He also hailed the King's endeavors for supporting the Arab solidarity, finding a just and comprehensive solution for the Palestinian issue, and for prevailing security and stability in Iraq. //Petra// Ashkar 231739 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/23/30953700.htm

King Calls for Launching Program to Support Applied Scientific Research</STRONG>
Pet0767 4 0372 King Calls for Launching Program to Support Applied Scientific Research Amman, Feb. 23(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II called for launching a program to support the applied scientific researches for the post graduate students and scholars. During his visit to King Abdullah II Fund for Development, the King stressed the importance of developing researches in Jordan in cooperation with King Abdullah Design and Development Bureau (KADDB) and the Jordanian universities. The King also highlighted the necessity of benefiting from expertise of the international research institutions and institutionalizing cooperation with those institutions so as to enable Jordanian students abroad to conduct applied researches in Jordan with a view to promote the culture of the applied scientific research. His Majesty also pointed that the living and economic circumstances require intensifying efforts and launching developmental projects in the governorates to fight poverty and unemployment. '' Supporting youth tops Jordan's priorities,'' the King added, expressing pride over the Fund's programs, which aim at supporting youth, promoting their participation in the public life, enhancing the culture of creativity and distinction On the other hand, King Abdullah expressed thanks to the Fund's board of trustees over their efforts in developing the march of the Fund. For his part, head of the Fund's Board of Trustees Faisal Fayez thanked the King over his support to the Fund's programs. //Petra// 232225 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/23/30954900.htm

King Receives Phone Call for Israeli Prime Minister</STRONG>
Pet0540 4 0172 King Receives Phone Call for Israeli Prime Minister Amman, Feb. 23 (Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II on Thursday received a phone call from Acting Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, in which he apologized for King Abdullah and the Jordanian people over the statements against Jordan from the Commander of the Central Region in Israel. Olmert expressed condemnation over these statements which were reported by a number of news agencies, adding that they do not represent the Israeli government nor the Israeli official stand. The Israeli prime minister expressed appreciation over the efforts exerted by His Majesty King Abdullah to restore peace and stability in the region. //Petra// Shniqat 231713 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/23/30953600.htm

King Meets Dignitaries of Balqa Tribes</STRONG>
Pet0761 4 0343 King Meets Dignitaries of Balqa Tribes Amman, Feb. 23(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II highlighted the importance of unifying efforts to face the problems of poverty and unemployment. During his meeting on Thursday with dignitaries of Balqa tribes at the Hashemite Royal Court, the King affirmed the role of the local community's contributions in drawing plans and strategies that aim at creating projects and programs to confront unemployment. The King also called on members of these tribes to contribute to supporting national efforts in facing poverty and unemployment through providing proposals, adding that education and qualifying citizens is a priority. He also underlined the importance of enrolling the unemployed citizens in the programs of the vocational training with a view to provide them with skills and help them find jobs. The meeting was attended by Prime Minister Marouf Bakhit, President of the Royal Court Salem Turk, King's advisor for tribal affairs Sharif Fawwaz Zaben Abdullah, Deputy Prime Minister Zeyad Fareez, and Foreign Minister Abdel llah Khatib. A number of dignitaries delivered speeches in which they pointed to the wise Hashemite leadership. They also valued King Abdullah's efforts in clarifying the true image of Islam. Dignitaries also presented a briefing on requests and concerns of Balqa tribes. //Petra// 232105 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/23/30954700.htm

Little_star said:
you're right, the Saudis have probably even less support than the Jordanian Monarchy.

The real power lies in the hands on the Mut'awa.

Mutawa are used by the monarchy as a means of control - very symbiotic relationship going on there.

lizz70 said:
Mutawa are used by the monarchy as a means of control - very symbiotic relationship going on there.

A very fragile relationship, they turn a blind eye to much of the Monrchy's shenanigans to retain their own power.

Monalisa said:

I think you'll find that the rules of the board don't permit posting an article in full. It's not quite as much of a conspiracy as you'd like it to be.

Little_star said:
A very fragile relationship, they turn a blind eye to much of the Monrchy's shenanigans to retain their own power.

As the king is the guardian of the two holy places and top dog, I think you will find that he is above reproach as long as it is kept outside the strictly controlled press then it all runs smoothly. It is all done behind closed doors and the Mutawa don't run the joint. King and Muttawa need each other.

Little_star said:
I think you'll find that the rules of the board don't permit posting an article in full. It's not quite as much of a conspiracy as you'd like it to be.

Anyone who has ever lived in the ME for any length of time knows that the place is alive with conspiracy theories. Just an interesting slant on the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom