The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

"I didnt know about this until now. I had assumed that Prince Hassan had been Crown Prince from the beginning (ie, since before Prince Abdullah's birth)
Its quite interesting. Prince Abdullah was Crown Prince for the first 3 years of his life. KH must've always had Abdullah in mind as CP but politically and security-wise it wouldn't have been easy to have someone so young in that position at that time and so Prince Hassan had to take over the role from his nephew. Im actually surprised that he remained CP for the next 30 years or so and Prince Abdullah didnt assume the role as soon as he was of age. But KH's marriages to Queen Alia and then Noor might, in part, explain the delay. Naturally the two women would've wanted their sons to be proclaimed CP."

You learn something new every day! I'd always been under the impresion that the change from Prince Hassan to Abdullah was very sudden and quite dramatic, but it seems it was always in the pipeline and Prince Hassan wasn't stripped off his title as harshly as people often make out. Perhaps, that may be why Hassan has maintained a dignified silence over the whole issue?

Old 11-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

King meets President of EU Economic and Social Council</STRONG>
Pet1045 4 0383 King meets President of EU Economic and Social Council Amman/ Nov.21/(Petra)--His Majesty King Abdullah II has said convening the Euro-Med Economic and Social councils summit meeting in Amman with this large scale participation in the wake of Nov. 9 terrorist attacks confirms the world's confidence in the secure and stable atmosphere in Jordan. King Abdullah was speaking during a meeting on Monday with EU Economic and Social Council (EESC) Anne-Marie Sigmond, who is currently on a visit to Jordan to take part in the conference. Participants in the meeting, held for the first time in an eastern country, will discuss among other topics, working papers assessing development the Barcelona Process on its 10th anniversary. The King affirmed his support to Barcelona declaration, which he said has opened broader areas for cooperation between countries of the Mediterranean. On her part, Sigmond said Jordan is one of the leading countries that encourage regional cooperation and highly appreciated King Abdullah's effort in this regard. She strongly condemned the terrorist attacks on three hotels in Amman on Nov. 9 and expressed her condolences over victims of the attacks. In the meantime, King Abdullah expressed his thanks to the European economic and social councils for their assistance to Jordan Labor Ministry to help it establish the Jordanian Economic and Social Council. The and Sigmond commended the close friendly ties linking Jordan with the Euro-Med countries 212004 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/21/28980400.htm

Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Bestselling author Vince Flynn (right) presenting Jordanian King Abdullah II a copy of his latest book Consent To Kill during a recent trip to Amman. (PRNewsFoto)

NEW YORK, NY USA 11/21/2005

NEW YORK, Nov. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Bestselling author Vince Flynn presentsJordanian King Abdullah II a copy of his latest book Consent To Kill during arecent trip to Amman. His Majesty, who is a fan of Flynn's novels, invitedthe Minneapolis native to be his guest at his palace.http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...04220836&EDATE=
Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
You learn something new every day! I'd always been under the impresion that the change from Prince Hassan to Abdullah was very sudden and quite dramatic, but it seems it was always in the pipeline and Prince Hassan wasn't stripped off his title as harshly as people often make out. Perhaps, that may be why Hassan has maintained a dignified silence over the whole issue?
I know! I've been to KA's website many times but this was the first time I noticed the part about him being Crown Prince until 1965.
It shouldnt be that much of a surprise to me though because thats how things work in most monarchies. Granted the security situation would've been fragile at the time but I think that King Hussein's various marriages did a lot to complicate things when it came to the succession.
The marriage with Muna ended in divorce, had Alia been alive she'd have wanted Ali to be King, and had KH still been alive, Hamzah might've been the one.
But I guess Abdullah was destined to fill the position he had occupied at birth.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

"Surry Woman Joins Rwandan Dance/Singing Troupe

Daigle also is learning the traditional Rwandan language of Kinyarwanda, dance and some customs. As part of Samputu Ingeli, Daigle and another woman will join the three male artists in performances around the globe. In fact, next month, they will perform for the King of Jordan at the World Culture Open, where Daigle hopes to have a few minutes to talk to Queen Rania about the foundation and its mission."

To read the complete article, just click on the link

http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/arc..._11-17-05.html
Old 11-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

An interesting article from the Lebanese, Daily star. It's long but a good read:
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article....ticle_id=20236
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Central Africa President concludes visit to Jordan</STRONG>
Pet1117 4 0076 Central Africa President concludes visit to Jordan Amman/ Nov. 22/ (Petra)-- President of Central African Fran?ois Bozize left Amman Tuesday concluding a three-day visit to Jordan during which he held talks with His Majesty King Abdullah II bilateral relations, situation in the region and issues of Afro-Arab cooperation. Injadat/ Petra 222259 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/22/29001800.htm
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

King receives letter from PLF Secretary General condemning terrorist attacks in Amman</STRONG>
Pet1081 4 0199 King receives letter from PLF Secretary General condemning terrorist attacks in Amman Only for newspapers Amman/ Nov. 22/ (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II has received a letter from Secretary General of Palestine Liberation Front (PLF) Omar Shebli Abu Ahmed in which he expressed outrage and and condemnation of the cowardly terrorist crime in Amman which claimed lives of many innocent people and wounded many others. Abu Ahmed expressed his solidarity and that of the PLF cadres with Jordan and expressed condolences over victims of the terror attack. The PLF Central Committee also condemned the terrorist attacks and expressed solidarity with Jordan's and its leadership. "The only one who benefits from these cowardly operations are foes of the Arab nation," said a statement issued by the committee. Injadat/ Petra 222140 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/22/29001400.htm
Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

King receives British Army Chief of Staff</STRONG>

Pet1057 4 0115 King receives British Army Chief of Staff Only for newspapers Amman/ Nov. 22/ (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II on Tuesday met British Army Chief of Staff General Michael Jackson, who is currently on a visit to Jordan. Talks during the meeting, which was attended by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Lt. General Khaled Sarayreh and British Ambassador in Amman, dealt with areas of defense and military cooperation between Jordan and Britain. Injadat/ Petra 222030 Local NOV 2005 

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/22/29000400.htm
Old 11-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

"Granted the security situation would've been fragile at the time but I think that King Hussein's various marriages did a lot to complicate things when it came to the succession.
The marriage with Muna ended in divorce, had Alia been alive she'd have wanted Ali to be King, and had KH still been alive, Hamzah might've been the one.
But I guess Abdullah was destined to fill the position he had occupied at birth"

Very true, I had always found it a bit strange that Prince Hassan was the Crown Prince, especially as King Hussein had no shortage of sons to succeed him, even if a girl were not allowed (is that the case in Jordan?).
Did King Hussein actually divorce Muna? I've always heard speculation that they were never divorced.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

King Abdullah, left, meeting Luxembourg's Grand Duke Henri in Amman Wednesday Nov. 23, 2005.

from polfoto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP477246_guest.jpg.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	216225   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP477251_guest.jpg.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	216226  
Old 11-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

1 more of GD Henri's visit from ap via yahoo :

Old 11-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Humera and I and others found some stories which indicate they did divorce officially. They are on the Princess Muna thread.

I would also like to know if a woman can be regent or CP or ruler in Jordan? Or if there is a law specifically prohibiting it. Apart from Pakistan's PM Bhutto (sorry, I don't want to mess up her first name with my spelling), I can't think of a ruling woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"Granted the security situation would've been fragile at the time but I think that King Hussein's various marriages did a lot to complicate things when it came to the succession.
But I guess Abdullah was destined to fill the position he had occupied at birth"

Very true, I had always found it a bit strange that Prince Hassan was the Crown Prince, especially as King Hussein had no shortage of sons to succeed him, even if a girl were not allowed (is that the case in Jordan?).
Did King Hussein actually divorce Muna? I've always heard speculation that they were never divorced.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

What is the current status of the female terrorist who tried to detonate her bomb at the wedding? Has King Abdullah said more about that situation and what will happen next to her? Will there be a trial? I mean, she has confessed so I don't know if one is needed except for determining penalty. Does KA have the final say in that matter? I imagine she is still being interrogated.....

Have KA/QR said anything more about changes in policy (they closed the borders, I believe, for a day) or what they feel is the next step in fighting these terrorists?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Courtier

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/23/3141I.htm

Whooops! what is QR wearing? what she's wearing looks weird with the couch's color,I am sure she didn't notice that. Is this meant to be their new palace? I get the impression all their furniture is very dark,even the fireplace looks scary :(
Old 11-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

Gosh, so little is known of her new palace. I heard only it was very modern. I thought the photos from People were taken there and it didn't look dark.

I loved the decor of their old house. The blues, golds, whites were stunning! Rania decorated it "as a respite from the hot sun with a soothing, cool color scheme." This would be quite a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil Monkey
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/23/3141I.htm

Whooops! what is QR wearing? what she's wearing looks weird with the couch's color,I am sure she didn't notice that. Is this meant to be their new palace? I get the impression all their furniture is very dark,even the fireplace looks scary :(
Old 11-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

"Whooops! what is QR wearing? what she's wearing looks weird with the couch's color,"
That sort of blue/green shade is very in fashion right now, but it does clash terribly with the sofa.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

"Apart from Pakistan's PM Bhutto (sorry, I don't want to mess up her first name with my spelling), I can't think of a ruling woman."
Benazir Bhutto, maryshawn and I don't think people would be offended if you got her name wrong!
Are you refering to muslim female rulers, or female rulers in general? Because, Indonesia, Turkey and Bangladesh have all had, or have, a female ruler. Moreover Germany has a new female Chancellor!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

King, Queen host dinner banquet in honor of Duke of Luxembourg</STRONG>
Pet1110 4 0077 King, Queen host dinner banquet in honor of Duke of Luxembourg Only for newspapers Amman/ Nov. 23/ (Petra)-- Their Majesties King Abdullah II and Queen Rania Al Abdullah Wednesday hosted a dinner banquet in honor of Duke of Luxembourg Henry Albert, who is currently on a several-day visit to the Kingdom. Injadat/ Petra 232142 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/23/29029400.htm
Old 11-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Commoner

old picters for all jordan royal family

http://www.waypress.com/cgi-bin/prox...e=xml&offset=0