King Abdullah & Queen Rania- Current News & Photos XI

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~*~Humera~*~ said:
and what about Rania listening to 50 cent? I think her son might be a bad influence:p
I just found that so funny.

Its amazing how many articles about KA or QR mention cooking. Both of them have said they enjoy it and its great that they involve their kids in the whole thing.
I think its wonderful and a great way for the whole family to relax together.
Im not a great cook but I always enjoy occassions when a whole bunch of family members or even just my immediate family cook a meal together.

(sorry to be again a little off topic)

to be honest, that sort of music tends to be marketed to teenagers anyway (I think). It's not really my taste at all (not one bit at all), although I'm glad the guy can be successful doing something he likes doing. I think it's nice that QR and her family can appreciate all kinds of music too:)

they're a very versitile bunch, I think:p

And yes, they always mention cooking as one of the main things their family likes to do together -- I heard an interview once where she talked about KA being very comfortable entertaining friends with meals that he himself prepares. (I think she said that KA really likes to cook, and he does it well -- all kinds of things. He really also likes to have his friends over to visit and to feed them.

I agree, I like doing that too -- I like having my friends over; some of the most fun we ever have is preparing a meal or sitting and talking for hours and hours with a little coffee or tea or a little sandwich in the kitchen...

My family does that all the time (they talk me to pieces though...):p

I enjoy it:p :)

I think my prediction is coming true, Humera! Queen Rania and, more importantly, the children are taking over the kitchen--and KA's been relegated to the barbeque!!!:) I think it's cute! ;)

People Article: Continued

Since you all have been so gracious with my poorly presented typed version of Queen Rania's interview, I thought I would post the captions accompanying the photos and the page QR wrote from her diary. Bear with me if I mess up the names/wording as I couldn't be sure of all the words in her written account. The glossy paper it's printed on makes some of it difficult to read. Here goes:

ON THE JOB "There's mutual suspicion that has arisen between the east and west," says the Queen at her Amman palace. "It's crucial for us to very consciously try to challenge that."

LOVE STORY "He's got that old-fashioned manly quality, which is very attractive," Rania says of her husband, King Abdullah. "And he's a very open-minded kind of guy."

HOMEWORK "Every day I have to reprioritize," says Rania (in her palace office) of her juggling act. Although it's difficult to be away from home on business, she says "we have a system where if I'm away, His Majesty's here, and vice versa."

STAR POWER Since becoming queen, Rania has charmed leaders around the globe. "She has this way of deporting herself in public so you never have the feeling she's trying to trade on the way she looks," says former President Bill Clinton. "She has genuine, intense conviction."

NO CROWN NECESSARY "The young relate to her," Maha Khatib of the Jordan River Foundation says of the queen, who favors casual wear and no head covering. "She has this ability to maintain her Arabic style with a modern approach."

Queen Rania's diary is a sheet of yellow legal paper where she writes about one of her recent day's work and family time. I thought it interesting--and exhausting!

Managed to get up at 03:45 and woke Hussein up for a bite to eat before starting our fast. Performed prayers. As always, the silence and stillness of the world around this time brings clarity and focus to the day ahead--and life in general.

Went back to sleep and got up again at 8 to see baby Hashem. Fed him and had a little play time....he was in a mischievous mood this morning. Called Mom to give her the lowdown on his latest and greatest.

The visit to the beautiful area of Jebal Amman, and the brief on the Jara initiative for promoting historic Amman were very inspiring. Must take the kids for a stroll some evening.

Received a "message-in-a-bottle" from the Arab youth during an interactive session on cross-cultural understanding. Got me excited about the launch of "Jer and Izzy" (sp?) because it shows our children that we don't have to be alike to get along.

Did some catching-up with the children. They were all excited about the school concert tonight.

Had my brother and sister-in-law over for Iftar.

Zoned out in front of the TV with the family before attending the concert. Was so proud of the children's performance--quite a biased view since they didn't exactly have their lines down.

Well, at least, all of you have heard of "50 Cents." I had no idea who they were. Then again, I can't figure out half the people/products on my daughter's latest wish list for Christmas.

I have never seen "Desperate Housewives" and was interested that it's one of Rania's favorite shows. Shades of Queen Noor when she was into "Dallas" and "Dynasty" and, as the episodes were running months or more behind the US, staff was sworn to secrecy if they knew "who shot JR" so as not to spoil it for her!:)

Thanks to Lady Jennifer who brought this to my attention. If anyone can do anything with my scans to turn them into decent photos, please PM me and I'll send them along. They're great! I just don't have the capabilities to turn them into photos. Let's call it "user error.":rolleyes:

maryshawn said:
Well, at least, all of you have heard of "50 Cents." I had no idea who they were. Then again, I can't figure out half the people/products on my daughter's latest wish list for Christmas.

I have never seen "Desperate Housewives" and was interested that it's one of Rania's favorite shows. Shades of Queen Noor when she was into "Dallas" and "Dynasty" and, as the episodes were running months or more behind the US, staff was sworn to secrecy if they knew "who shot JR" so as not to spoil it for her!:)

omg maryshawn, im sorry but I couldnt stop laughing at your first comment!:D That is too funny.
50cent is a rap artist so that may explain why you dont know about him.
I've heard of him but never listen to him. Not that I dont enjoy a huge variety of music. But his music isn't exactly my type.
Its interesting though, as Lillia said, that the family is such a versatile bunch.
It was also interesting to read Rania's comments about King Abdullah. Usually she talks about the kids but when she does mention her husband, its always in a funny, affectionate way. And you're right, KA just might have to restrict his cooking skills to the barbecue. The girls seem to like making desserts with their mom, not sure what Prince Hussein likes to cook, I wonder what little Hashem has in store for him when he's a bit older.
btw...the diary entry is pretty recent, from this past Ramadan actually. Its great to have a brief glimpse into her life, the way she talks about her kids' school concert, she sounds just like any mother would.

Last edited:
looks like another event Queen Rania was set to participate in this week, had she gone ahead with her trip to the US, was the Women of the World Awards Gala on November 19:
http://www.womenforwomen.org/atwwag.htm

".........first annual Women of the World Awards Gala, taking place November 19 in Los Angeles. The event will celebrate the courage and resilience of female survivors of war and raise money for the organization. "The Gala is an opportunity to bring the situation of women survivors of war to the mainstream public. Women who have survived war are more than the victims we see on television, they are the real heroes and glue that hold families and communities together," says Zainab Salbi, founder, president and CEO of Women for Women International. The star of the event? Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the organization's global ambassador, who will be honored with the inaugural Women of the World Award. "
http://magazines.ivillage.com/marieclaire/subscribe/editorsnote/articles/0,,673460_679174,00.html

Her life changed forever in January 1993, when she attended a dinner party given by Abdullah's sister, Princess Aisha. "The minute Rania walked in, I knew it right there and then," says Abdullah. "It was love at first sight." His wife is more circumspect. "I knew he was KH's son and I was a bit wary of that," she says. "But I think he was quite interested, and he pursued it and it kind of happened." Five months later, the pair wed. "It was quick," says Rania, speaking in her flawless English. (Arabic is her first language). She says her own commoner's background allowed the romance to blossom naturally. "Nobody knew who I was, which was good."

How come they all fall in love the same way? When KH met QA it was at a dinner or a wedding party and when PA met Rym,it was love at first sight after seeing her at a dinner or a party as well and the same goes for Hamzah and Noor, they fell in love after meeting at family dinners and family gathering, well and Prince Faisal and P.Alia's story wasn't too different!
well...Isn't this too weird? it got me thinking for a moment,Sometimes I feel like I'm watching an American romantic Movie,lol,Which is sweet :p ehm

maryshawn said:
Queen Rania's diary is a sheet of yellow legal paper where she writes about one of her recent day's work and family time. I thought it interesting--and exhausting!

Managed to get up at 03:45 and woke Hussein up for a bite to eat before starting our fast. Performed prayers. As always, the silence and stillness of the world around this time brings clarity and focus to the day ahead--and life in general.

Went back to sleep and got up again at 8 to see baby Hashem. Fed him and had a little play time....he was in a mischievous mood this morning. Called Mom to give her the lowdown on his latest and greatest.

The visit to the beautiful area of Jebal Amman, and the brief on the Jara initiative for promoting historic Amman were very inspiring. Must take the kids for a stroll some evening.

Received a "message-in-a-bottle" from the Arab youth during an interactive session on cross-cultural understanding. Got me excited about the launch of "Jer and Izzy" (sp?) because it shows our children that we don't have to be alike to get along.

Did some catching-up with the children. They were all excited about the school concert tonight.

Had my brother and sister-in-law over for Iftar.

Zoned out in front of the TV with the family before attending the concert. Was so proud of the children's performance--quite a biased view since they didn't exactly have their lines down.

could that be really true? It's amazing if it is. do u think she writes her Diary in Arabic or english?

The part where Rania mentions eating before they fast got me thinking, excuse my ignorance but I am not of her religion. My question is, what age do children start fasting? Surely not too young.

Rania sounds lovely, very down to earth.

Before she became Queen would she have lived a Royal like lifestyle, did King Abdullah have his own money? Just curious.

lil Monkey said:
Her life changed forever in January 1993, when she attended a dinner party given by Abdullah's sister, Princess Aisha. "The minute Rania walked in, I knew it right there and then," says Abdullah. "It was love at first sight." His wife is more circumspect. "I knew he was KH's son and I was a bit wary of that," she says. "But I think he was quite interested, and he pursued it and it kind of happened." Five months later, the pair wed. "It was quick," says Rania, speaking in her flawless English. (Arabic is her first language). She says her own commoner's background allowed the romance to blossom naturally. "Nobody knew who I was, which was good."

How come they all fall in love the same way? When KH met QA it was at a dinner or a wedding party and when PA met Rym,it was love at first sight after seeing her at a dinner or a party as well and the same goes for Hamzah and Noor, they fell in love after meeting at family dinners and family gathering, well and Prince Faisal and P.Alia's story wasn't too different!
well...Isn't this too weird? it got me thinking for a moment,Sometimes I feel like I'm watching an American romantic Movie,lol,Which is sweet :p ehm

Please, can you tell me more about PA & PR love story??

EmmieLou said:
The part where Rania mentions eating before they fast got me thinking, excuse my ignorance but I am not of her religion. My question is, what age do children start fasting? Surely not too young.

Before she became Queen would she have lived a Royal like lifestyle, did King Abdullah have his own money? Just curious.

thats an very interesting question.
i thought they start with 13?!

hussein doesnt have this age already?---

to lil monkey: too much romantic - to believe its true^^
maybe they are all to lazy to think about a new story for themselve:D

Well, perhaps she does both but for People she handwrote a sheet of her diary in English. It's included in the article--an actual photograph of the diary written on a simple yellow legal pad! I thought it was quite interesting.:)

lil Monkey said:
could that be really true? It's amazing if it is. do u think she writes her Diary in Arabic or english?

EmmieLou said:

well,they start fasting at the age of ten,but if they are weak or can't fast it's ok untill they get well or become stronger.

closesttoheaven said:
to lil monkey: too much romantic - to believe its true^^
maybe they are all to lazy to think about a new story for themselve:D

No comment :rolleyes: :eek: :p

Iman said:
Please, can you tell me more about PA & PR love story??

Sorry,I wish I knew the story,but I just have no Idea about it at all to be honest.

maryshawn said:
Well, perhaps she does both but for People she handwrote a sheet of her diary in English. It's included in the article--an actual photograph of the diary written on a simple yellow legal pad! I thought it was quite interesting.:)

Thank u MS,is there any chance that u can scan it and post it here please?

Perhaps this should go on the How Popular is Rania in Jordan thread but I spent the afternoon with a palestinian doctor who grew up in Jordan. I asked her about Queen Rania and she said she respects her and can relate to her as they are about the same age. Interestingly enough, she thought Queen Rania was most like Queen Alia because of similar backgrounds--and noted it seemed to her QR was looking to QA as a role model. She said the last time she was home, she had the opportunity to spend time with some friends, one of whom was a mutual friend of QR. She said the woman was fairly tight-lipped about QR but did mention she was a great cook--although she prefers KA's japanese cooking and said he was far more into multi-ethnic meals. She said the children are around a lot until bedtime, which is strictly observed and a house "rule." After they're in bed, the grown-ups "hang out, talk, laugh a lot" and QR and KA are "great hosts" with no staff hanging about. They're just "themselves, no airs." It was interesting to hear and made it seem to me what we see in the photos of the family is quite real.

I'll do my best although I do have someone else working on it too as my scanner is not operating properly.....One way or another, we'll get it up for you to read. It was interesting seeing QR's handwriting style, too. Not for any signficant reason but I like looking at how people write--particularly as my handwriting is so bad. I can't make out QN's for the life of me!!!! OK, I can see some of the words but it's hard. Jackie Kennedy's was half writing, half printing but full of flourishes. Just one of my interests......:)

lil Monkey said:
Thank u MS,is there any chance that u can scan it and post it here please?

maryshawn said:
I'll do my best although I do have someone else working on it too as my scanner is not operating properly.....One way or another, we'll get it up for you to read. It was interesting seeing QR's handwriting style, too. Not for any signficant reason but I like looking at how people write--particularly as my handwriting is so bad. I can't make out QN's for the life of me!!!! OK, I can see some of the words but it's hard. Jackie Kennedy's was half writing, half printing but full of flourishes. Just one of my interests......:)
Yea,I asked if u could scan it for me for the same reason,lol,I am curious to see her handwriting,It's an interest of mine too ;)

Thank u MS for all :)

queen rania

I have a new pictures for queen rania from people magazin but I can not attach this pictures to queen rania thread i dont no why?

maryshawn said:
Perhaps this should go on the How Popular is Rania in Jordan thread but I spent the afternoon with a palestinian doctor who grew up in Jordan. I asked her about Queen Rania and she said she respects her and can relate to her as they are about the same age. Interestingly enough, she thought Queen Rania was most like Queen Alia because of similar backgrounds--and noted it seemed to her QR was looking to QA as a role model. She said the last time she was home, she had the opportunity to spend time with some friends, one of whom was a mutual friend of QR. She said the woman was fairly tight-lipped about QR but did mention she was a great cook--although she prefers KA's japanese cooking and said he was far more into multi-ethnic meals. She said the children are around a lot until bedtime, which is strictly observed and a house "rule." After they're in bed, the grown-ups "hang out, talk, laugh a lot" and QR and KA are "great hosts" with no staff hanging about. They're just "themselves, no airs." It was interesting to hear and made it seem to me what we see in the photos of the family is quite real.

thats a great anecdote. I dont find it surprising at all, from all the pictures I have seen of Queen Rania and King Abdullah sitting around in their kitchen with a group a friends or at a birthday party for one of the kids.

a big thank you to maryshawn for the scans from People magazine.
Here they are:

Attachments

• qrinpeople1.jpg
    qrinpeople1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 517
  • qrinpeople2.jpg
    qrinpeople2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 555
  • qrinpeople.jpg
    qrinpeople.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 595
two of the new pictures from People. I thought I'd post them individually as well.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 451
  • Untitled-2 copy.jpg
    Untitled-2 copy.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 435
Thanks Humera! You did a far better job than I could ever have done! The yellow legal sheet of paper on one of the pages is Queen Rania's journal notes.

Isn't it fascinating to see? It's like another small glimpse into a person..... It seems we both have an affinity for handwriting. Hope you can make out QR's handwriting OK!:)

lil Monkey said:
Yea,I asked if u could scan it for me for the same reason,lol,I am curious to see her handwriting,It's an interest of mine too ;)

Thank u MS for all :)

I liked the anecdote, too. It was a pleasant surprise for a Friday afternoon.

Forgot to mention the only other thing the doctor said she'd heard. Their mutual friend said one of the women present was talking about cutting off her hair and Rania interjected "no, don't do it." She said longer hair allows you to have the best of all worlds as you can wear it up if you want it to look shorter. Then she said something about "with small children and any mom's schedule, it's so easy to pull back in a ponytail and still look OK." She said Iman and Salma love to play with her hair and her hair has been subjected to their "styling" sessions. I can easily see this happening. And it's another example of how much she loves being a mom and how well she gets along with her kids.......Very cute!!!!:) Then, KA said in mock-sadness "I just don't understand why they don't want to style my hair!" and laughed!

great story again maryshawn.
The part about the "styling sessions" is so cute and it reminds me of myself as a little girl. My mom has kept her hair really short since she got married so I could never play with her hair. But I remember playing with my aunt's hair, trying to style it, braid it. I think a lot of little girls enjoy that sort of thing.
Its so interesting to learn more about Queen Rania's personal life and how it is not very different from the rest of us.
She has always seemed so down-to-earth to me but Im surprised everytime I learn more about her life.
I think Rania not being born and brought up a royal must be such an advantage in that respect but then again I think she has a very affectionate nature which doesnt have anything to do with being royal-born or not.
We know of other women who've married into royalty and are not nearly as expressive and warm.
btw..your last post also explains why Queen Rania puts her hair up in ponytails so often, her busy schedule and lifestyle obviously account for that. Still she's lucky she can look good in them. Ponytails dont work for me.

Last edited:
maryshawn I can't thank you enough it is great artical I like it

Humera thank you for working on these pictures and post it here ^_^

I really enjoy sharing stories like these about Queen Rania--and King Abdullah, of course (I cracked up at his comment about "why does no one want to style my hair????!!! He's got such a wry, amusing wit!) What also has impressed me is that they have a close circle of friends from waaaay back--and continue to make sure those ties remain intact. Surely, these friends return this loyalty--as evidenced by the fact this one woman shared just a few anecdotes, the kind Queen Rania wouldn't mind being shared as they are the types of things one might comment on after a visit with any friend! I, too, am surpised when I hear about the "normalcy" of their lives--then think to myself "why am I surpised? This is entirely in keeping with what QR and KA have mentioned about their family life. Their mantra could be "we do our best to keep our family life simple and as normal as it can be." My daughter loves to play with my hair, too, so I could relate to that. I'm sure Rania has also walked about her house in some "interesting" hairdo's created by her daughters--laughing all the way! They are a model of family closeness, aren't they? It's marvelous to see/hear about.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom