The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_rain3075
I found this on Yahoo! and I thought it was pretty interesting Jordan's Queen Rania asks What are you doing to empower women in your community?
Article from San Francisco Chronicle.
And thanks for the beautiful picture, Joumana .

Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joumana
Great picture .....thank you Joumana

Old 03-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the links!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:08 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

King Receives Credentials of a Number of Ambassadors
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/farooda/526I.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/farooda/527I.jpg
King Meets Assistant of US Secretary General
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/farooda/538I.jpg
Queen Rania Al Abdullah meets Women Judges
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...0320071452.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/farooda/542I.jpg

Old 03-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Royal Highness

King urges unified Arab stand to relaunch peace offer (jordatimes).

Queen calls for setting quality control criteria for health programmes (jordatimes).
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Courtier

I was really surprised to see Rania on yahoo!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Area architect to design cancer hospital in Jordan

. . . The 300-bed center will be named after Abdullah's father, King Hussein, who succumbed to cancer in 1999. The 600,000-square-foot King Hussein Cancer and Biotechnology Institute will be perched on a hilltop overlooking the Dead Sea.

. . . Abdullah talked about the pain that families go through in watching loved ones battle cancer.

"I know that many of you have sat by the beds of loved ones, or been there for doctors' conferences, or waited for that phone call, that next medical report, or prayed that research would make a breakthrough in time," he said then. "I can only tell you that I know, Rania and I know, the deep emotions of those moments." Link
Old 03-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Rania at Yahoo main page
Yahoo!

Yahoo! Answers - What are you doing to empower women in your community?

Queen Rania's personal message in the "Imagining Ourselves"
IMOW - To all the friends of and participants in Imagining Ourselves
Old 03-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Courtier

http://pdf.lahamag.com/pages/03-2007/338People01.pdf
http://pdf.lahamag.com/pages/03-2007/338Report02.pdf

It was too good to be true...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Gentry

A really! funny article about the king aka Trekkie

Who is King Abdullah II and why was he in the United States recently?

"King Hussein did not seemingly intend for Trekkie to become king. Hussein didn't declare Trekkie his official heir apparent until just a few days before his death. The first 37 years of his life were spent being a rich, feckless prince with a kick-ass toy collection. Here's how the British celeb magazine Hello! describes him..."

Who is King Abdullah II and why was he in the United States recently?: Don't Panic ... your war questions answered: Don't Panic!: Columns: Creative Loafing Atlanta
Old 03-17-2007, 04:07 AM
Nobility

Indeed, it's a very funny article.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Courtier

Yes funny, and very true!!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Serene Highness

This is just another article or anecdote in recent weeks that is kind of making me re-think my original thoughts on Abdullah and Rania. I'm not even Jordanian and it bother's me a little that they own a house in London and that Q. Rania is seen shopping in some well known boutiques around the world. I guess I just think she could ask the question about empowering women to herself. How has she helped empower Jordanian clothing designers? Or is she to busy wearing Prada and Gucci. Hopefully that doesn't seem too harsh, really just calling it like I see it.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Nobility

How many Jordanian clothing designers do you think there are exactly? It's a country of only 5m people, and I think there is only one arts/design school. She wears Jordanian clothing where appropriate.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Serene Highness

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffir
How many Jordanian clothing designers do you think there are exactly? It's a country of only 5m people, and I think there is only one arts/design school. She wears Jordanian clothing where appropriate.
It was just an example that came to mind. Not a good example but no need to really focus on it. I'm sure however, there are struggling designers or people that want to go in that direction in Jordan. My main point is that we see Rania trying to keep up with the Jones' so to speak. Wearing Prada and Gucci and talking about her handbags in magazines. Is that really empowering to women? Seems a little materialistic to me at times.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Please consult Queen Rania's fashion and jewellery threads for information on which Jordanian designers she uses. Different articles deal with different subject matter; magazine articles devoted to her style in particular can be found in the fashion forum as well. For articles, interviews with more substance (everything from mideast peace, women's & children's rights and issues etc) search through the various current events thread and Queen Rania & King Abdullah: Interviews, Speeches, or threads devoted to specific events like the World Economic forum, conference of Nobel Laureates etc.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Gentry

Very interesting Aurora810. In some ways I do agree with you. She does try to help her people, but she also tries to "keep up with the Jones" as you put it. That spread in Elle (I think) was a little too much for me. It was like "look at me look at me I'm so beautiful and I'm in a magazine just like a model--what I've always wanted."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
It was just an example that came to mind. Not a good example but no need to really focus on it. I'm sure however, there are struggling designers or people that want to go in that direction in Jordan. My main point is that we see Rania trying to keep up with the Jones' so to speak. Wearing Prada and Gucci and talking about her handbags in magazines. Is that really empowering to women? Seems a little materialistic to me at times.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Nobility

Whoa--does it look like KA has put on some serious weight lately?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
Ah, I see your point now.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Courtier

March 14, 2007
Queen Rania stresses importance of School Health

Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

March 19, 2007
Queen Rania inaugurates Humane Center for Animal Welfare & Veterinary Hospital

http://www.supload.us/free/19_martiou_2007.jpg/view/

http://www.supload.us/free/703I.jpg/view/

http://www.supload.us/free/704I.jpg/view/

http://www.supload.us/free/705I.jpg/view/