King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current Events Part 20

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tesaweer said:
So she made it but her husband did not !! wonder why, does this mean she is working harder than him and her role is more influential than him, ummm I think that's unfair and even untrue. I think he never stops. As for securing more political rights for arab women after becoming queen , that's also not quite right, there has been woman in the cabinet in Egypt and Iraq as ministers and cabinet secretaries for examples, since the fifties of the last century (before she was born), so to deny that and to say that it is something of a novelty is unacceptable by Time magazine. As for increasing the representation of jordanian women in parliament, can anybody plz tell us how many women were there in King Hussein era and how many more are there now. I do agree she is doing a fantastic job in representing a face of Islam acceptable to the west, and I'm also a great admirer of her (hope gap) project and did buy some lovely gifts from her Jordan River foundation shop when I was in Amman, so even though I don't agree with many things in this artile, I do wish her and all the projects she supporting all the best :flowers: .

I totally agree with u tesaweer,It is a shame that some people forgot what other people who worked hard for dialogue between east and west and between West and Islamic world,and those who worked for human and women rights,and some people now are considering Rania the symbol of leberating muslim women or of the dialogue between cultures,very untrue and unfair considering what she accomplished compared to what others did years ago.

I personally think that no royal or first lady deserves such as position is such as lists,as they have power and recognization only because they are the wife of somebody and not because of the work they are really involvoded for and made it the reason of all their lives.

I agree with u tesaweer , I have all the respect for Q Rania but she didn’t do any amazing achievements for Jordan
, Sorry to say that but what she does are traveling and wearing very expensive designer clothes, instead of buying L.V bags she can spend that money in helping the poor people. I like Q Rania and she is doing her best to give a good picture about Jordan in the speeches, but what about the %60 poor people in jordan.

LeoMama said:
I agree with u tesaweer , I have all the respect for Q Rania but she didn’t do any amazing achievements for Jordan
, Sorry to say that but what she does are traveling and wearing very expensive designer clothes, instead of buying L.V bags she can spend that money in helping the poor people. I like Q Rania and she is doing her best to give a good picture about Jordan in the speeches, but what about the %60 poor people in jordan.

I would have to disagree, I am a big admirer of the kingdom and have studied it for quite sometime. Although King Abdullah II is continuing with his father's view in which is shows progress of modernization but it has to be slow because than it would be another example of Iran in the 1980's. Queen Rania, is not all about beauty and fashion, you might say the same about Princess Diana, but in realty she is providing her time and energy to see how these people are living and doing, she has the ability to interact to the every day people. Can you say the same about powerful first lady laura bush? I don't think so, sometimes money does not reflect power or influence, it helps but is not everything. There are other royals that can do the same like Rania but they don't. She is fighting for the change is social stigmas and that is not easy. Proverty every country is going to have it, is not going to change and a lot of it comes from inequality in society which is done by having a free market.

tesaweer said:
So she made it but her husband did not !! wonder why, does this mean she is working harder than him and her role is more influential than him, ummm I think that's unfair and even untrue. I think he never stops. As for securing more political rights for arab women after becoming queen , that's also not quite right, there has been woman in the cabinet in Egypt and Iraq as ministers and cabinet secretaries for examples, since the fifties of the last century (before she was born), so to deny that and to say that it is something of a novelty is unacceptable by Time magazine. As for increasing the representation of jordanian women in parliament, can anybody plz tell us how many women were there in King Hussein era and how many more are there now. I do agree she is doing a fantastic job in representing a face of Islam acceptable to the west, and I'm also a great admirer of her (hope gap) project and did buy some lovely gifts from her Jordan River foundation shop when I was in Amman, so even though I don't agree with many things in this artile, I do wish her and all the projects she's supporting all the best :flowers: .

Heads of state or government being still in office usually do not make such lists (you have to be dead or a so-called elder statesman).
The staff of Time Magazine and many other people in Europe and the US simply do not know the other Arab women who were/are fighting for more political rights or representation of women. With her star qualities QRania gives this fight for them a (very beautiful) face (of course, it’s unfair to all the others who are doing the same or more, but are much less noticed).
Under the rule of KHussein there was one female deputy in the Lower House between 1993 and 1997 (Toujan Faisal, who was elected for one term on a seat reserved for the Circassian minority). Jordanians obviously prefer electing male candidates. Therefore before the 2003 elections a quota for women’s participation in parliament was established that allocates 6 seats for women (out of 110 seats), and there are now just these 6 women in parliament (in addition to 6 or 7 female members of the Upper House appointed by KAbdullah).

polysciir said:
I would have to disagree, I am a big admirer of the kingdom and have studied it for quite sometime. Although King Abdullah II is continuing with his father's view in which is shows progress of modernization but it has to be slow because than it would be another example of Iran in the 1980's. Queen Rania, is not all about beauty and fashion, you might say the same about Princess Diana, but in realty she is providing her time and energy to see how these people are living and doing, she has the ability to interact to the every day people. Can you say the same about powerful first lady laura bush? I don't think so, sometimes money does not reflect power or influence, it helps but is not everything. There are other royals that can do the same like Rania but they don't. She is fighting for the change is social stigmas and that is not easy. Proverty every country is going to have it, is not going to change and a lot of it comes from inequality in society which is done by having a free market.
With all due respect to your opinion polysciir, but who said Laura Bush is the example that first ladies should follow? I am studying politics and part of my degree is mainly about what it can or cannot achieve for the people in the middle east. Now what QRania buy or wear is her own choise and it is not my problem, if it is not her own money, then her finance minister should discuss it with her. The issue is, without in anyway belittleling whatever she's doing, and I here agree totally with Salome, in not including Queens or first ladies in such lists and they should only celebrate and acknowledge the achievements of ordinary people. So the point is, did she in the few years as a queen achieve enough for Time magazine to include her in that list, ie: more than KA himself or even Mrs Mubarek of Egypt who also works alot for her country, or Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser AlMisnad the wife of the Emir of Qatar, who I think has a harder job in such a conservative society, or any doctor or scientist giving their lives to improve the lives of all of us, or is it just a matter of having a good and efficient PR people who can put you on every forum and in every list, best dressed, most beautiful, most influential, etc..etc.I wonder.

Last edited:
Veram98 said:
Heads of state or government being still in office usually do not make such lists (you have to be dead or a so-called elder statesman).
The staff of Time Magazine and many other people in Europe and the US simply do not know the other Arab women who were/are fighting for more political rights or representation of women. With her star qualities QRania gives this fight for them a (very beautiful) face (of course, it’s unfair to all the others who are doing the same or more, but are much less noticed).
Under the rule of KHussein there was one female deputy in the Lower House between 1993 and 1997 (Toujan Faisal, who was elected for one term on a seat reserved for the Circassian minority). Jordanians obviously prefer electing male candidates. Therefore before the 2003 elections a quota for women’s participation in parliament was established that allocates 6 seats for women (out of 110 seats), and there are now just these 6 women in parliament (in addition to 6 or 7 female members of the Upper House appointed by KAbdullah).
Many thanks for the informayion Veram98. How very unfair for many hard workers all over the world to know that lacking a beautiful face and star qualities, you're going nowhere and no one will know about you or what you're doing.
Do you know whether QRania has any say or input in changing of the rules of 2003 elections , and if as you're saying that Jordanians prefer electing male candidates, then I would like to see QRania working more on improving the image of jordanian ladies in their own country.

Last edited:
thanks so much for the information veram98
i fear that the fact she is beautiful, well spoken and a muslim woman has alot do do with her high profile and by extension making "lists" and its a shame it might seem to diminish other women "doing more" or "harder working" because as women we're all in the same boat no matter where we live or how many lists we don't make. so i'm celebrating all the women everywhere YEEEHAAAA wasn't that long ago women wouldn't have even been considered much less made any list. and to queen rania imo a wonderful role model and modern queen.
wish we had a quota for our system of government

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion but people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. At least IMO.

bbb said:
thanks so much for the information veram98
i fear that the fact she is beautiful, well spoken and a muslim woman has alot do do with her high profile and by extension making "lists" and its a shame it might seem to diminish other women "doing more" or "harder working" because as women we're all in the same boat no matter where we live or how many lists we don't make.

First of all, there are many lists that are compiled by various aspects of the media for a variety of different reasons. As such there could probably be a LONG discussion regarding the legitmacy of suchs lists (as they are highly subjective...what is the criteria) and the question on whether such lists have an actual impact other than bring "cause" recognition to people who might not know of such issues.

I disagree that Rania being selected as an influential woman will diminsh other women "doing more." For as long as man and woman have been on this planet..there are have always been worker bees and queen bees. Yes, without the worker bees doing the actual work and fighting the good fight some things might not get done. In many aspects Rania is actually a figurehead for the thousands and possible millions of woman who don't have a voice. Do they all have the same voice...think the same thoughts and have the same beliefs. No they don't. I don't believe any ONE person can adequately represent thousands/millions/billions of people.

tesaweer said:
How very unfair for many hard workers all over the world to know that lacking a beautiful face and star qualities, you're going nowhere and no one will know about you or what you're doing.
Do you know whether QRania has any say or input in changing of the rules of 2003 elections , and if as you're saying that Jordanians prefer electing male candidates, then I would like to see QRania working more on improving the image of jordanian ladies in their own country.

A little unsure on what you mean by this? I am sure that the many hard workers who work on such as such issues on poverty, children's diseases are not looking to be published in Time magazine about the work they do. In fact, I am pretty confident that do what they do because someone has to do, it needs to be done and they want to make a difference in this world. So Rania getting selected because of her position, beauty and commitment to the same issues are not going to matter to them.

Notice that the article references to Rainia as a respresentive of Muslim woman. Not the sole representative. Everyone knows that there are many different facets of Muslim women. The article also mentions that she assisted more women getting elected to the Jordanian parliament. But is it her sole responsibilty? She is never going to win......to some people she is too involved and too others she is never going to do enough. You can't please everyone.

Last edited:
Zonk said:
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion but people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. At least IMO.

First of all, there are many lists that are compiled by various aspects of the media for a variety of different reasons. As such there could probably be a LONG discussion regarding the legitmacy of suchs lists (as they are highly subjective...what is the criteria) and the question on whether such lists have an actual impact other than bring "cause" recognition to people who might not know of such issues. .......
In writing about a beautiful face and star quality, I was referring to a previous post. As for all those hard workers not wanting to be published, or that having Rania or any figure head honoured to the same issue instead of them, I have to disagree, do you think when Medicines Sans Frontiers, were awarded the Nobel Prize and the whole world learned about them, they were not happy and preferred that a queen would have been a better choice instead?? I also would like to bring to your attention , that many aspects of the article is about Arab women and not just Muslims. Infact, the word islam or Muslim was not mentioned more than twice, so let's not concentrate on that, it 's the arab women,muslim, christians and other religeons followers that are the matter here. I'm still interested to know how much was she involved in changing the elections of women to JP. Again I do wish her all the best in what she's doing, and as you said every one is certainly entiteled to their own opinion , and civilised discussion is what matter in this thread. I finally hope that I've explained my point clearer now and thank you for taking the time to answer my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zonk said:
First of all, there are many lists that are compiled by various aspects of the media for a variety of different reasons. As such there could probably be a LONG discussion regarding the legitmacy of suchs lists (as they are highly subjective...what is the criteria) and the question on whether such lists have an actual impact other than bring "cause" recognition to people who might not know of such issues. ......

Well said, Zonk, I couldn't agree with you more.

it's a wonderful gesture of the king to invite all the beslan students to spend time in jordan. does the invitation cover the costs? if so, did the king and queen pay for them or it was paid with taxes?

what a hectic schedule rania and abdullah are going through! the netherlands, back to jordan and two days later they were in the uk! impressive.

tesaweer said:
Many thanks for the informayion Veram98. How very unfair for many hard workers all over the world to know that lacking a beautiful face and star qualities, you're going nowhere and no one will know about you or what you're doing.

Will i lived in jordan and for me as a Jordanian I Participate in elections arrangements, QRania has nothing to do with elections at all and elections in Jordan its about your own choice if you believe in that person you can vote for him, it has nothing to do of being a woman or a man.

Thanks for the pictures of the visit from the Beslan children. That's a really lovely gesture, it's sad that the 2year anniversary passed with so little attention in the media.

tesaweer said:
I'm still interested to know how much was she involved in changing the elections of women to JP.

As we all know it is not the queen consort who makes the laws in Jordan. It was the king who presented a royal decree in 2003 that reserved six seats for women in the lower house of parliament (while the parliament was dissolved). He was following thereby an earlier parliamentary committee recommendation (while making some changes on it), but also campaigns of various women’s and human rights groups backed by Queen Rania (besides, we will never know the extent of direct influence she exerts on her husband and of her lobbying leading Jordanian politicians behind the scenes).
By her and other women's activists in Jordan the quota system was and is promoted as something that is necessary until Jordanians become more accustomed to seeing women in public office: as the maybe only way to convince them that women can be qualified deputies worth to be elected.
In 2003 she encouraged female candidates to run for election and her office provided résumés of their qualifications.

From Gettyimages:
Amman, JORDAN: Jordan's King Abdullah II and and his wife Queen Rania greet survivors and relatives of victims in last year's suicide bombings at the Royal Palace in Amman 09 November 2006. Jordan today marked the first anniversary of the unprecedented suicide bombings that shook one of the most stable Middle East nations with tributes to the 60 victims.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c7%7c%7cking+abdullah%7c2233391784121335%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=&tag=1

and from Reuters via Yahoo! News and AP via Yahoo! News: Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3 and Picture 4

Last edited:
thank you autriana for the pictures. Shes been in grey for most r should i say all her latest outings. Netherlands visit (her wardrobe was all grey except the evening dresses) England visit and todays suit. Finding it boring. Missing the old Rania who used to dress in color, skirts, fitted jackets, it was quit intresting.Not saying she shouldve worn color today, thouht she was dressed okay for the occasion.

I was wondering what they would be doing to mark the 1st anniversary of the bombings.

Jordan pays tribute to bomb victims
LINK

Queen Rania launched the Humanitarian Support Network today
LINK

There are pictures on Petra at this link. You will also find photos of Princess Sumayya and some commemorating the bomb victims
LINK

King Congratulates Emperor of Japan
LINK

King Receives Spanish Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
LINK

King Congratulates President of Angola
LINK

King, Queen mark 1st anniversary of hotel bombings with victims’ families

AMMAN (JT) — Her Majesty Queen Rania met with some of the victims of last year’s tragic hotel bombings as well as their families at Civil Defence Department headquarters on Thursday.
During a very emotional meeting, the Queen reiterated her support for everyone affected by the tragedy.
“The more we stand together, the stronger we stand,” she said. “Nothing can fill the void of your loss, but we stand by you to help you deal with it.”
The gathering observed a moment of silence and prayer for the 90 men, women and children who lost their lives in last year’s attacks.
A few of the injured and several of the victims’ family members recounted the emotional experiences of the past year. All the families at Thursday’s meeting had received psychological counselling, as well as medical and financial assistance to help ease the burden of the trauma from the Jordanian Society for the Prevention of Family Violence’s (JSPFV) National Compassion and Support Centre. Jordan Times

Petra photos from the lunch banquet:
Image Gallery - Click Here

Queen Rania Takes Part in Launching Humanitarian Support Network

King performs Friday prayers in Amman

Amman, Nov. 10 (Petra)-- Imams of the mosques in Jordan delivered their sermons on the Friday prayers on the first anniversary of Amman blasts. They highlighted the values and morals of Islam and its centrism. Petra

Last edited:
wheres the thread for the Netherland's visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom