Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho
http://framehosting.dowjonesnews.com...3320016&Take=1

Jordan's King Vows To Reject Taking In More Palestinians
Copyright © 2005, Dow Jones Newswires

AMMAN (AP)--Jordan's King Abdullah II vowed Tuesday to oppose settling more Palestinian refugees in his country amid Arab fears that Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip may not extend to the West Bank.

Abdullah is concerned that if Israel fails to leave the West Bank, which Palestinians want as part of a future state, Jordan may be pressed to settle tens of thousands of Palestinian refugees living in camps scattered across the region, including Syria and Lebanon.

"I know and do appreciate the fears of some of you that plans may exist to redraw the map of the region and to settle some historic issues at the expense of Jordan," Abdullah told an impromptu meeting with members of parliament, Cabinet and former prime ministers before he left for Russia.

Wait,so he's saying that he will not let palestinians settle in his country?Shouldn't he be happy for his fellow muslims who have lived their lives under fear and oppression for so long, are now finally given some freedom?(No offense to anyone.)Shouldn't his wife;Queen Rania,formely from Palestine visit them and assure Palestinians,rather than tell them that if something happens don't comming knocking on our door????????!!!:(

Old 08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Courtier

I think when one first reads the statement that King Abdullah does not want any more Palestinians in Jordan, one immediately thinks he is anti-Muslim or anti-Arab. But I think in fact he is really saying the opposite. King Abdullah does not want any more Palestinian settlements in Jordan because allowing that means Israel can say that they don't have to give up the West Bank. Because Palestinians are really settling in Jordan, they essentially don't need the West Bank.

So King Abdullah makes it clear that there will be no more Palestinian settlements in Jordan because the Palestinians have a right to the West Bank. That is their land and essentially giving that up means acquiesing to Israel. So I think in fact that King Abdullah was right in saying this although he could have phrased it better.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Gentry

History says that the now Jordan is actually a Palestinian land in the 1st place..Jordan was created in the begining of the 20 century for political reasons..
Old 08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Courtier

You're right Citizen --- but then, most of the Middle EAstern countries were created by the West for political reasons. I think it is why there are so many problems today in the Middle EAst and also in AFrica where the West just divided up the countries for their own purposes - not caring to notice what people lived there and if the land they were carving out was really one country.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Courtier

thank you for the pics, fanletizia. Hussein looks a lot like his father.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Nobility

The King of Jordan at Sochi. From Rian.ru

The King of Jordan and the President of the Russian Federation. From Lenta.ru

Old 08-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
I think when one first reads the statement that King Abdullah does not want any more Palestinians in Jordan, one immediately thinks he is anti-Muslim or anti-Arab. But I think in fact he is really saying the opposite. King Abdullah does not want any more Palestinian settlements in Jordan because allowing that means Israel can say that they don't have to give up the West Bank. Because Palestinians are really settling in Jordan, they essentially don't need the West Bank.

So King Abdullah makes it clear that there will be no more Palestinian settlements in Jordan because the Palestinians have a right to the West Bank. That is their land and essentially giving that up means acquiesing to Israel. So I think in fact that King Abdullah was right in saying this although he could have phrased it better.
I understand what you're saying.However,I still feel that instead of making these sorts of statements he should just say nothing.Why is he so cautious about what his true feelings towards a matter??He says that Palestinians are not welcome but want's us to believe he actually meant it for Israeli govenment to continue what they have started???How can one expect others to cooperate when ones brothers won't even lend their voices to their cause.(I realize that this is a sensitive subject,hence I don't mean any offense to anyone.I apologize if you find anything offensive.)
Old 08-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness

Is the king popular in his country? I read on other forums some really nasty stuff being said about him!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Nobility

Thumbs up

I second that. for example many country within West Africa were originally North African. For example where Senegal, Gambia, Mauritania and 95% of Mali originally was ancient Ghana and used to share the neigbouring borders with Morocco and Algeria. Nigeria used to share the border wiht Lybia and so on.

Unfortunately for many African's the scar of having their Mothre Land carved and relocated for political reasons hasn't gone away. Some countries although retain the strong African sense of Pride, Culture, History and the list goes on, many can't bear to talk about how their countries were before the carving. As it is too painful and in certain cases cannot be regained unfortunately so.

For me a person who researching (and am typing this whilst trying not to cry) the ancient history of Ancient kingdoms of Africa (Ghana, Mali, Songhay, etc) which still exists but some are under different names and locations, the carving up caused problems which have taken and may take many generations to rectify. Although I'm partly W.African I always say that I'm originally from North-West Africa (relating ot history.)

As for Jordan the Jordan River always existed by the same name but the rest of the Land was the bulk of Palestine. There are many of My Jordanian friends whom, when asked about their origins say I'm Jordanian but am from Palestine originally. When they say this I have to admit that I can relate to what they mean, they long for their homeland which hadn't such complications as are now present within such parts.

So I would day that Madonna and Citizen are correct and thumbs up for highlighting the point. :) :) :)

If KA truely considers welcoming all Palestinians within Jordan due to the aforesaid then may Allah s.w.t truely bless him for this fact alone. In such case he would be continuing what his father before him did, when he made the same offer to Palestinians. If so were very proud of you KA!:) :) :) :)

Quote:
You're right Citizen --- but then, most of the Middle EAstern countries were created by the West for political reasons. I think it is why there are so many problems today in the Middle EAst and also in AFrica where the West just divided up the countries for their own purposes - not caring to notice what people lived there and if the land they were carving out was really one country.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:

So King Abdullah makes it clear that there will be no more Palestinian settlements in Jordan because the Palestinians have a right to the West Bank. That is their land and essentially giving that up means acquiesing to Israel. So I think in fact that King Abdullah was right in saying this .
cudn't have said that better.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by polop
I understand what you're saying.However,I still feel that instead of making these sorts of statements he should just say nothing.Why is he so cautious about what his true feelings towards a matter??He says that Palestinians are not welcome but want's us to believe he actually meant it for Israeli govenment to continue what they have started???How can one expect others to cooperate when ones brothers won't even lend their voices to their cause.(I realize that this is a sensitive subject,hence I don't mean any offense to anyone.I apologize if you find anything offensive.)
It was offensive , I guess u should be living in Jordan before judgin,What the King said had no meaning At all of being against Palestinians,his wife is palestinian after all,plus it's a long story with the parliament , that's y kA said that.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-R-O-U-B-L-E
It was offensive , I guess u should be living in Jordan before judgin,What the King said had no meaning At all of being against Palestinians,his wife is palestinian after all,plus it's a long story with the parliament , that's y kA said that.
How was it offensive????My main point was what King Abdullah said,not Jordan!!!If the King had no meaning against the Palestinians then why did he say something like that towards Palestinians?I know his wife was a Palestinian,that was the point.What exactly is the story with Parliment that he was "made" to say something like this?By the way,I was not judging Jordan,I was talking about King Abdullah,there is a differnce.I don't care if you agree with me or not,but saying that Iam judgemental...???:(
Old 08-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
How was it offensive????My main point was what King Abdullah said,not Jordan!!!If the King had no meaning against the Palestinians then why did he say something like that towards Palestinians?I know his wife was a Palestinian,that was the point.What exactly is the story with Parliment that he was "made" to say something like this?By the way,I was not judging Jordan,I was talking about King Abdullah,there is a differnce.I don't care if you agree with me or not,but saying that Iam judgemental...???:(
people start attacking without knowing how things really are...do u know that more than %50 of the Jordanians are from Plaestinian origins?
if the rest of the Palestinians flee from Palestine and come to Jordan it would sound as we are agaisnt their right of return and Jordan will become the "alternate land",and transfere would start to Jordan and this way palestine would vanish,it's not a matter of Jordanian-Palestinian,and if u are not either one ,and if u are not familiar with the whole story please dun go there.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Courtier

I think they meant that he doesn't want to undermine their right of return. Or have his country bear the brunt of a massive relocation, a population swell that I don't think their country could handle. :)
Old 08-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-R-O-U-B-L-E
people start attacking without knowing how things really are...do u know that more than %50 of the Jordanians are from Plaestinian origins?
if the rest of the Palestinians flee from Palestine and come to Jordan it would sound as we are agaisnt their right of return and Jordan will become the "alternate land",and transfere would start to Jordan and this way palestine would vanish,it's not a matter of Jordanian-Palestinian,and if u are not either one ,and if u are not familiar with the whole story please dun go there.
Iam not "attacking" you.I don't care if there are 50% Jordanians from Palestinian origin;there could 100%,the point is did King Abdullah had the right to say that to Palestinians?If he wants Isreal to pull out of West Bank too,then he should say that to Ireal,not Palestinian people and say "well I meant...."I understand that Jordan does not want to become an "alternate land" for Palestinians,but I don't believe that this was the best time to say it.I do know the Palestine and Israel conflict and Iam also aware of Jordanian-Palestine story,but I don't want to go there.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Courtier

I would think we would want to enlighten (not to sound condescending) Polop, not make her shut up. That's the best way to bring people around to your side. :)
Old 08-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Nobility

I am sorry if I ruffle a few feathers here, but could we please get back to posting pics of the King and Queen and discussing any news about them. I think that the entire Palestinian-Israeli conflict and even discussing what King Abdullah meant by his statements is getting too heated. None of us can know what he meant. Only he does.

Better to stop before things really escalate, I think.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Pics of King Abdullah in Russia, from Petra
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Aug/18/5435I.htm
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Aug/18/5437I.htm
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Aug/18/5440I.htm
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Aug/18/5442I.htm

King Meets ITAR-TASS Chief Editors
Moscow, Aug. 18 (Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II on
Thursday said that Amman Massage, launched by Jordan in 2004, was to
show the image of real Islam which is based on modernity, balance
and the call to refuse violence and extremism.
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Aug/18/26964200.htm

King Holds Talks With Russian President
Sochi, Aug. 18 (Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II on
Thursday held talks with Russian Ambassador Vladimir Putin at the
Black Sea Resort of Sochi on ways of supporting and enhancing
the bilateral ties, efforts exerted to restore peace in the
Middle East and ways of fighting international terrorism.
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Aug/18/26965900.htm
Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Iam not "attacking" you.I don't care if there are 50% Jordanians from Palestinian origin;there could 100%,the point is did King Abdullah had the right to say that to Palestinians?If he wants Isreal to pull out of West Bank too,then he should say that to Ireal,not Palestinian people and say "well I meant...."I understand that Jordan does not want to become an "alternate land" for Palestinians,but I don't believe that this was the best time to say it.I do know the Palestine and Israel conflict and Iam also aware of Jordanian-Palestine story,but I don't want to go there.
I don't believe he was making a personal attack on the Palestinians, as the ruler of his country I believe he had the right to say what he did, seeing as it was concerning his country. I think the heading over the article was tactless, I thought his actual words ("I know and do appreciate the fears of some of you that plans may exist to redraw the map of the region and to settle some historic issues at the expense of Jordan,") were more practical. :)
Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

The King with Vladimir Putin from aap
Attached Images

Closed Thread