King Abdullah & Queen Rania Current Events 4: July 9-August 30, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed but I wasn't sure if it was like that for a reason?

There are plenty of muslims who like and respect Rania, you certainly aren't the spokesperson for the "Muslim World".
Um, I never said I was a spokesperson for the muslim world!!!:mad: She is so concerned with impressing everyone else, she should consider how people in her own country feel about her actions.I don't know about you, but I respect people because of their ethics and actions, not because of their titles or how much money they have!

I take it you've missed her interviews in which she's spoken out against terrorism. Personally I find it incomprehensible that people think Rania is a bad role model when you look at the current political climate.

I haven't missed any interviews by her, thank-you very much!:mad: Any time she gives an interview, she only defends herself."We don't approve of this....."What I meant was that at a time when people are afraid to say that they are muslims, she should give them a voice.Nobody speaks for the Iraqi muslims, Afghani muslims, and not as a queen but as muslim she should stand up and speak for whats right or wrong.I never said she was a bad role model??!!!And by the way, what's there about her that makes her a good role model???She's not teaching young girls to be who they are, but rather showing them you should be like everyone else, even if that means sacrificing what you believe in.
To you that may have been just a glass of wine which she held up and probably didn't even drink,but to me it seemed offensive.ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!!:mad:

What exactly has Queen Rania done to try and be like everyone else? And when she says "we," doesn't she mean Muslims and/or Jordanians? In the interviews I've seen of her, that's what she's doing. Which time/s did you mean?

In my opinion, the way she dresses.I mean I realize that she is at international events but still.Do you remember the time when she went to this Spanish Wedding pre-rehearsal or something, and she had a strapless dress on with jewels.(that's what it looked like)I just thought she could've had something on that covered her more.Someone in the previous thread posted a picture of her, where she had a bathing suit on!:confused: I am not going into to detail about that because we all already discussed that.In recent pictures of her, she was wearing a sleeveless shirt with capris.I know to many of you it's not a big deal but considering the fact that she is a muslim queen,it offends me a bit.

What I meant by "we" was that although she does use the word, and means to represent Jordanian people,by the end of the interview it seems like she just meant to say that "I had nothing to do with it, and I condem it..."You know instead of visiting American schools,hitech facilities etc, maybe she should try going to Iraq where Muslim men and woman are really suffering.By doing that she would shed some light upon those issues which really matter.;) (I hope I told you what I wanted to say Alicky.)

"You know instead of visiting American schools,hitech facilities etc, maybe she should try going to Iraq where Muslim men and woman are really suffering.By doing that she would shed some light upon those issues which really matter.;) (I hope I told you what I wanted to say Alicky.)"

Should she do a full tour of Iraq -- even though it is currently very dangerous to do such a thing, is that a suggestion for what the Queen of Jordan should do? :)

How do you think her husband would feel about it should she do such a thing?

How come the suggestion is not for King Abdullah to do such a thing -- especially since he is the King of Jordan, a Muslim himself, and he is the one in charge -- certainly he can do a nice job representing in Iraq?

Last edited:
polop said:
In my opinion, the way she dresses.I mean I realize that she is at international events but still.Do you remember the time when she went to this Spanish Wedding pre-rehearsal or something, and she had a strapless dress on with jewels.(that's what it looked like)I just thought she could've had something on that covered her more.Someone in the previous thread posted a picture of her, where she had a bathing suit on!:confused: I am not going into to detail about that because we all already discussed that.In recent pictures of her, she was wearing a sleeveless shirt with capris.I know to many of you it's not a big deal but considering the fact that she is a muslim queen,it offends me a bit.

What I meant by "we" was that although she does use the word, and means to represent Jordanian people,by the end of the interview it seems like she just meant to say that "I had nothing to do with it, and I condem it..."You know instead of visiting American schools,hitech facilities etc, maybe she should try going to Iraq where Muslim men and woman are really suffering.By doing that she would shed some light upon those issues which really matter.;) (I hope I told you what I wanted to say Alicky.)

What do you wear when you go swimming? :p :)

As far as her her interviews, I was rather impressed by where she stands. I mean, it was all said with diplomacy and tact, but her stance was clear and I was glad she said what she did. On U.S./Arab/Israeli affairs and her defence of Islam I mean.

The only problem I have with her wardrobe (again, coming from different cultures we will all of course have differing opinions on what is modest and what is not :)) is that it can look(and does to me) tactless, representing a country that is not wealthy.

I also think that when you are that fashion savvy, that glamorous, the attention naturally will not be on what she has to say, but on what she's wearing. Queen Noor made very sure that her wardrobe never upstaged her and her work, by simplifying her wardrobe she kept the focus in the right places. But then again, if Rania likes to sparkle and wear pretty clothes, who can blame her, I like to too lol! She can't help where the media puts its emphasis, and she shouldn't have to be a slave to the media and should be able to wear whatever she wants. But she should know that her glamour will upstage her more important undertakings.

shelley said:
Please can I put in my two cents for what it is worth. Toasting as far as I have been told is not specifically mentioned one way or another in Islam. It is simply a tradition of honouring a guest. Many countries all over the world follow the practice at formal gatherings, and not just in the west, but in the Far East as well, where toasts ( and yes, usually in alcholhol) are de rigeur. I know that formal, ie governmental, be they republics or monarchies, dinners in many Muslim countries include toasts, in juice usually. I know this is definitely so in Jordan, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, , and Iran in the days of the Shah. I don't know what happens now. But these are all Muslim countries where the formal dinners would be non totally non alcoholic. Eventually this practice may well be discontinued as people become, I think unfortunately, more chauvinistic, but for the moment it continues. Surely, it cannot have been adopted and gone on for so long and be against Islamic teachings.

Find sm1 to transelate this for you and you will know it was mentioned in Islam...Toasts may not be mentioned in a direct way but this was mentioned....

(ETHA DOKKAT AL K2OOS HORIMA MA FEEHA) (Can sm1 transelate please?)
It is against Islams' teaching,I am not just saying anything here,I am sure of what I say and elhamdullah I am aware of what's acceptable and what's not in Islam,so please Dear,If u dunno much about Islam dun just say I heard and I have been told,Qura'an and Sunna are the things we build our judgments upon,whether certain things are acceptable or not.

Again,I am not so religious but I know alot about my religion elhamdullah again.:)

Alicky said:
What do you wear when you go swimming? :p :)

The only problem I have with her wardrobe (again, coming from different cultures we will all of course have differing opinions on what is modest and what is not :)) is that it can look(and does to me) tactless, representing a country that is not wealthy.

I also think that when you are that fashion savvy, that glamorous, the attention naturally will not be on what she has to say, but on what she's wearing. Queen Noor made very sure that her wardrobe never upstaged her and her work, by simplifying her wardrobe she kept the focus in the right places. But then again, if Rania likes to sparkle and wear pretty clothes, who can blame her, I like to too lol! She can't help where the media puts its emphasis, and she shouldn't have to be a slave to the media and should be able to wear whatever she wants. But she should know that her glamour will upstage her more important undertakings.

True, also when QN indeed did dress in an elabourate (yet beautiful) fashion, she ensured that an equilibrium was declared between her attire and tasks. Thereby not defeating the purpose of her initiative's and various works.

Moreover, during the earlier years of QR Marriage to KA, she wore on menay occasions Palestinian and Jordanian cultural attire, even more so than any other style. Why didn't she continue to do so? That's One of the the many reasons as to why so many had confidence within her, because of her ability to be Culturally glamerous. This thereby emphasized (amongst other factors) Jordans beautiful Culture and History.

Nothing is wrong indeed as Alicky said with revceiving Media attention. However, One should take care and realise that as soon as it becomes apparent that One's physical appearance is highlight more than One's duties and achievements, One should by the very least (not saying that QR hasn't) attempt to lesson the attention by either the afore or other methods. By no means do I criticise QR. Therefore more emphasis would be placed upon such important matters. :)

I think QR does an excellent job representing her country. It has been said before, and it may need to be said again -- QR is a public figure and also someone who represents her country to the entire world -- when in an interaction with other diplomats or heads of state (other royalty, presidents, and so forth) -- she needs to be a modern face of her country, and show that her country is broadly appealing and fits into the rest of the world. It would not due for her to represent in any way the country being 'stand-off', unable to fit in and modernize (that does not mean cast of traditions, just adaptable).

Anyone that would find it acceptable for her to wear attire not suited to her position in the world stage is looking at things in a very narrow way, in my opinion. That would make no more sense than if she would go into a conference in Paris, London or Zurich or New York meeting speaking only arabic and insisting that speaking english is not a good idea because english is not the first language of people from Jordan. While arabic is a certainly a beautiful language like many of her own traditions, she must represent the country's own adaptability and modernity in the world.

I think she does very well as a face for her people. She is a Queen and she knows her job.

Anyway, her husband King Abdullah seems not to have an issue with her clothes, and I assume he pays for them and even if he does not, he sees her in them all the time.

Last edited:
I couldn't have put it better.

Moreover, he is the Head of the Jordanian Armed forces. QR should take a tour of Iraq, that would show that she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. KA has already visited several places in the thick of Danger as he is trained for it as have many before him inc QN, PH, Princess Haya. In certain ways One can't help think that QR percieves Jordan to be a Business. Maybe and this is only a suggestion, she should have taken an additional degree in Architecture and urban planning, thereby being more intouch with Jordan in a more shold one say anthropological sense.

AS QN said it's mostly solving problems and the ability to look at the infrastructure and seehow it can be maintained and positively enhanced.

Lillia said:
"You know instead of visiting American schools,hitech facilities etc, maybe she should try going to Iraq where Muslim men and woman are really suffering.By doing that she would shed some light upon those issues which really matter.;) (I hope I told you what I wanted to say Alicky.)"

Should she do a full tour of Iraq -- even though it is currently very dangerous to do such a thing, is that a suggestion for what the Queen of Jordan should do? :)

How come the suggestion is not for King Abdullah to do such a thing -- especially since he is the King of Jordan, a fellow Muslim, and he is the one in charge -- certainly he can do a nice job representing in Iraq?

Lillia said:
I think QR does an excellent job representing her country. It has been said before, and it may need to be said again -- QR is a public figure and also someone who represents her country to the entire world -- when in an interaction with other diplomats or heads of state (other royalty, presidents, and so forth) -- she needs to be a modern face of her country, and show that her country is broadly appealing and fits into the rest of the world. It would not due for her to represent in any way the country being 'stand-off', unable to fit in and modernize (that does not mean cast of traditions, just adaptable).

It would make no more sense that for her to go into a conference in Paris, London or Zurich or New York meeting speaking only arabic and insisting that speaking english is not a good idea. While arabic is a beautiful language like many of her own traditions, she must represent the country's own adaptability and modernity as well.

I think she does well as a face for her people. She knows her job.

Anyway, her husband King Abdullah seems not to have an issue with her clothes, and I assume he pays for them and even if he does not and he sees her in them all the time.

I thought of making smthing clear here,I myhself see nothin wrong with her clothes and her being phtographed wearing a swimming suit isn't her problem as I mentioned before,but u guys were talking about the pic of her making a toast which I couldn't but to be honest and tell the truth,it's not just an opinion it's a FACT,our religion is like that,I am not sayin that cuz it's Rania,I would have said the same if I saw a pic of Hamzah,Hash or even Ali,this is the way Islam is....Drinking alcohol is forbidden!
although I know a lot of muslims who drink,but that doesn't mean what they are doin is right.

How do you know it has not been suggested to her already? How do you know she has not thought of it on her own?

How do you know if her husband King Abdullah would go for that, since such things would need to be approved by him....

I am certain she is not such a delicate flower that she cannot go into a war zone if her duty called for it. I think she is an excellent queen for her people and in my opinion she has proven herself more than enough for my respect.

How come KA has not gone into Iraq for a tour of Bagdad recently? and Mosul what about there? I am certain he would not be scared and be able to protect himself since he was in the army.

How come he does not take his oldest children with him also -- since i am certain they will serve in the army too.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E said:
I thought of making smthing clear here,I myhself see nothin wrong with her clothes and her being phtographed wearing a swimming suit isn't her problem as I mentioned before,but u guys were talking about the pic of her making a toast which I couldn't but to be honest and tell the truth,it's not just an opinion it's a FACT,our religion is like that,I am not sayin that cuz it's Rania,I would have said the same if I saw a pic of Hamzah,Hash or even Ali,this is the way Islam is....Drinking alcohol is forbidden!
although I know a lot of muslims who drink,but that doesn't mean what they are doin is right.

I was never involved in any discussion about her clothes being inappropriate at all.

I think she does an excellent job representing her self and her people as adaptable and modern in the world. She does an outstanding job.

I can only speak for myself. I by no means imply nor say that QR should wear out attire only fitting Islamic, Arab, or general ethnic situations. Nor is One saying that she shouldn't me modernised, perhaps modernity and tradition cobined.

Nor does one suggest that she appear to be instagatory, as One is well aware that would defeat the purppose. Indeed she can present Jordan's abolity to adapt and modernise within the World Arena of Diplomacy, that isn't in question. What is at least by me, is that although she continues to do so, it seems (as I said it is apparant to me however this is only my point of view) that less of the essense of Jordan is combined with the aforesaid elements (no offense meant.) Other than that I've to say regarding the matter.

Lillia said:

Anyone that would find it acceptable for her to wear attire not suited to her position in the world stage is looking at things in a very narrow way, in my opinion. That would make no more sense than if she would go into a conference in Paris, London or Zurich or New York meeting speaking only arabic and insisting that speaking english is not a good idea because english is not the first language of people from Jordan. While arabic is a certainly a beautiful language like many of her own traditions, she must represent the country's own adaptability and modernity in the world.

I think she does very well as a face for her people. She is a Queen and she knows her job.

Anyway, her husband King Abdullah seems not to have an issue with her clothes, and I assume he pays for them and even if he does not and he sees her in them all the time.

I'm not sugesting it hasn't, mo words were, "this is only a suggestion." This by no means suggest that the aforementioned point it hasn't been previously suggested.:) Nor do I claim to know what her thoughts are.

One suggests that it might, indeed sisn't say that it would. By the things that she's mentioned before ie flying in the helicopter in various conditions, especially whilst expecting. This was merely a thought by no means, One's saying anything more than that. Of course her husband loves her and woouldn't let her go into any situation, which neither her nor the family could anticipate nor calculate the risks involved.

One never thought her delicate, she was a refugee Ie when eshe fled Kuwait due to Sadam Hussein and settled in Jordan,) by definition she's a tough cookie. that's one of the reasons why I first began to respect her. No one, at least I didn't say other wise.

As for KA visiting Al-Musul and or taking his elder Children to Iraq ,One knows not why he hasn't. :)

Lillia said:
How do you know it has not been suggested to her already? How do you know she has not thought of it on her own?

How do you know if her husband King Abdullah would go for that, since such things would need to be approved by him....

I am certain she is not such a delicate flower that she cannot go into a war zone if her duty called for it. I think she is an excellent queen for her people and in my opinion she has proven herself more than enough for my respect.

How come KA has not gone into Iraq for a tour of Bagdad recently? and Mosul what about there? I am certain he would not be scared and be able to protect himself since he was in the army.

How come he does not take his oldest children with him also -- since i am certain they will serve in the army too.

Yes, just like many people who are in charge, or assist those who are in charge -- QR need to be able to perceive her role as very business like, to a certain extent -- because as anyone CEO or representative would know very clearly from experience -- business is not about facts and figures. At the lower levels, it is, but at the top of the organization it is very, very much about building and maintaining relationships across a broad spectrum of people and places.

Any body who runs any kind of business knows this that it takes alot of making people comfortable and at ease and keeping with the important ties that make them want to do business with you -- or help you when you need it -- and whatever it is that you represent. And alot of times, on the world stage, it is not only who you knnow, but how you look to them -- she (and KA) need to look and behave like she represents a country that is worth the 'investment' of whatever sort.

I completely respect her and her ability to help King Abdullah keep Jordan in front of the world as a place of interest.:)

Last edited:
Roshanah said:
I'm not sugesting it hasn't, mo words were, "this is only a suggestion." This by no means suggest that the aforementioned point it hasn't been previously suggested.:) Nor do I claim to know what her thoughts are.

One suggests that it might, indeed sisn't say that it would. By the things that she's mentioned before ie flying in the helicopter in various conditions, especially whilst expecting. This was merely a thought by no means, One's saying anything more than that. Of course her husband loves her and woouldn't let her go into any situation, which neither her nor the family could anticipate nor calculate the risks involved.

One never thought her delicate, she was a refugee Ie when eshe fled Kuwait due to Sadam Hussein and settled in Jordan,) by definition she's a tough cookie. that's one of the reasons why I first began to respect her. No one, at least I didn't say other wise.

As for KA visiting Al-Musul and or taking his elder Children to Iraq ,One knows not why he hasn't. :)
I have to say, I would never expect any person of any level of responsibillity to knowingly escort their children into a war zone where they could be subject to harm.

Even if it is to show off or prove to anyone that they are brave and that they are about the business of seeing to issues of war and peace, I think it would be the wrong thing to do.

I think he does quite well, on his own, using his own diplomacy and tact and civility.

My comment was intended a little sarcastic -- certainly not ever serious that he should ever even think of taking any of his children there.

While there are some who may look forward to something as dangerous as that, I think that if he would ever do so, I would be a little disappointed in him, in my opinion. But ok, a little dose of the reality of war could help more than a few people...

In the end, those are his children and he can do with them as he sees fit, I am sure he will sort it out for himself.

Last edited:
Roshanah said:
True, also when QN indeed did dress in an elabourate (yet beautiful) fashion, she ensured that an equilibrium was declared between her attire and tasks. Thereby not defeating the purpose of her initiative's and various works.
I agree. A lot of times people will say that Queen Noor did the same as Queen Rania, but she never came off terribly high-glam to me, you know? Her clothes always seemed muted and simply tailored, simple jewelry, simple makeup. In the last few years she's been adding more glitz, but it usually accompanies a kaftan or a suit, something simple and traditional. It's always very understated. :)

I love Queen Rania's beautiful beaded kaftan gowns though, I would love to design those for a living! :)

No, that's not the suggestion at all.All I was trying to say was that if Donald Rumsfeld,Prince Charles etc. can visit these countries, she should be able to do at least, the same.Ok, maybe not Iraq but how about Afghanistan,Zein,....The point was for her to make a visible effort to communicate and help muslim people who most need it.:) (May be she can learn a little from Angelina Jolie?;) )

Quite honestly,I would expect him to be quite supportive, and maybe he would want to join in?

How come the suggestion is not for King Abdullah to do such a thing -- especially since he is the King of Jordan, a fellow Muslim, and he is the one in charge -- certainly he can do a nice job representing in Iraq?

The reason why I didn't suggest this for King Abdullah was because,Queen Rania is visibly and obviously more popular than her Husband.(I mean after all this thread is also based upon King Abdullah, but how many times do we talk about him?:p )So if she did something of this magnitude the media would be sure to pick up on it.There would be some light shed upon the tragedies that occur in those parts of the world.
P.S Alicky,I don't wear a swimsuit when I go swimming.Infact I don't go swimming in public pools, beaches etc. Hence,I go swimming at home.;)

can some one explain to me how the person can be adaptable and modern ?
I really don't understand this point ( that the queen represent a modern face of her country ) .

polop said:
"You know instead of visiting American schools,hitech facilities etc, maybe she should try going to Iraq where Muslim men and woman are really suffering.By doing that she would shed some light upon those issues which really matter.;) (I hope I told you what I wanted to say Alicky.)

But yo9u see, the policy of Ka and QR is Jordan First. The way KA puts it is that, eyah there is regional turmoil and a bit in Jordan, but he wants to put Jordan first by pursuing development-economic, social (maybe someday political). If the monarchy focuses on just what is going on next door, than nothing will be done in Jordan. I really think that this young couple is doing hte best they can. Of course there is room for improvements, trial and error...

Roshanah said:
Nothing is wrong indeed as Alicky said with revceiving Media attention. However, One should take care and realise that as soon as it becomes apparent that One's physical appearance is highlight more than One's duties and achievements, One should by the very least (not saying that QR hasn't) attempt to lesson the attention by either the afore or other methods. By no means do I criticise QR. Therefore more emphasis would be placed upon such important matters. :)

In the news articles, not fashion, that I have read about QR there isn't any mention of what she's wearing, or how she looks. The article is simply about whatever it is she is involved in, or visiting. Now, of course there may be a photo or two, but nothing is ever written about her physical appearance.:cool:

T-R-O-U-B-L-E said:
(ETHA DOKKAT AL K2OOS HORIMA MA FEEHA) (Can sm1 transelate please?)

If a glass (filled with forbidden drink, alcohol) touches another (not filled with alcohol), then the non-alcoholic cup becomes forbidden.

The Arabic language is so eloquent that 7 words is translated into 21 words in English!

Roshanah said:
I couldn't have put it better.

Moreover, he is the Head of the Jordanian Armed forces. QR should take a tour of Iraq, that would show that she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

I can think of many reasons why QR shouldn't visit Iraq. There isn't any need for her to put her life in danger just to prove that she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.:cool:

Reina said:
But yo9u see, the policy of Ka and QR is Jordan First. The way KA puts it is that, eyah there is regional turmoil and a bit in Jordan, but he wants to put Jordan first by pursuing development-economic, social (maybe someday political). If the monarchy focuses on just what is going on next door, than nothing will be done in Jordan. I really think that this young couple is doing hte best they can. Of course there is room for improvements, trial and error...

Well, if he's allowing the US to use Jordan as means to enter Iraq, I think it is the least he can do to go to Iraq and analyze the situation for himself.

Did KH do those sorts of things?

Reina said:
Did KH do those sorts of things?

As far as I'm concerned, yes he did. After signing the peace treaty with Israel, he had acquired a stronger foothold on politics in Palestine/Israel. KH visited the region often and once even attending a funeral service of some girls who were killed by a Jordanian soldier. He was involved in his business dealings.

"at a time when people are afraid to say that they are muslims, she should give them a voice"
Rania does that in every interview, she always talks about Islam and herself as a muslim and life as a muslim woman. Rania may be wealthy now, but it wasn't long ago that she led the sort of ordinary life many many muslim women lead.

"She's not teaching young girls to be who they are, but rather showing them you should be like everyone else, even if that means sacrificing what you believe in.
To you that may have been just a glass of wine which she held up and probably didn't even drink,but to me it seemed offensive."
If it even was a glass of wine or champagne. It could have been anything, after all grape juice looks no different to white wine. I find it more offensive that so many of the muslims on this board are quick to judge and criticise her over an unidentified drink.

With regards Iraq I thought Rania and Abdullah had made a trip, I can recall seeing pics of her with Talabani's wife. Or were those taken in Jordan?
Moreoever why is she the only msulim Queen who is expected to show support or solidarity, Why is nobody calling for Sheikha Mozah or Sheikah Sabeeka to visit Iraq?Why is she the only person who is excpected to put her life in danger?
I expect Rania, more than many many others knows about the suffering of her fellow muslim from her childhood visits to Tulkarm in the West Bank.

"However, One should take care and realise that as soon as it becomes apparent that One's physical appearance is highlight more than One's duties and achievements, One should by the very least (not saying that QR hasn't) attempt to lesson the attention by either the afore or other methods. "

Isn't that the media's fault more than hers though? Rania could turn up to an international summit in a potato sack and the media would probably talk of her "innovative style". She doesn't have control over what the media chooses to produce.

Lara said:
As far as I'm concerned, yes he did. After signing the peace treaty with Israel, he had acquired a stronger foothold on politics in Palestine/Israel. KH visited the region often and once even attending a funeral service of some girls who were killed by a Jordanian soldier. He was involved in his business dealings.

yes i do remember this event , it was awful and shameful :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom