The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Courtier

While I can see the thought behind the video, I don't think this was the right way to go about it. Obviously YouTube is an American company and the speech was tailored to an American audience and whilst it is not wrong for someone to have a sense of humour, this has seriously compromised her dignity and the position she holds. I just find Queen Rania so stilted and wooden when she speaks English. It doesn't 'flow' nicely and is very staccato. Very heavily scripted and wooden and you are right, just not appropriate. Perhaps in her private arena - she is a queen not a Hollywood celebrity and she should remember that.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Courtier

Most reactions on her video were/are very positive, even enthusiastic. IMO this shows that the video was a good idea and she chose the right words and behavior for just that (young) audience she wanted to address with her Youtube initiative.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Courtier

Most people suck up to and flatter royalty and most royals get applauded if they just turn up and do nothing, so I don't really read too much into these things especially not in America where the cult of celebrity started. The audience she was addressing was everyone, not just young people and Rania is too old to 'get down' with kids.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

We've had glimpses of Queen Rania's sense of humour in her many interviews but something like this is unique. Unusual, yes, but appropriate for the occasion and audience. And it's authentic. I wouldn't have appreciated a stuffy speech just to satisfy certrain pre-conceived notions of royalty. I love that the Jordanian royals are among the most down-to-earth and unpretentious royals out there. Rania fits right in. Her Youtube page/debate was just as unconventional after all. Good for her.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 PM

I liked the video, it showed Rania being down to earth. I don't think she was acting like a Hollywood celebrity doing that top ten list. When she and Abdullah went to Paris for the 007 premiere, that to me was acting like a celebrity. But here, she showed her humor and she reached out to Americans. I don't recommend she act like a comedian for now on, but I don't think she should be as stuffy as some British royals. Also, her English wasn't so bad.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Courtier

Rania isn't and has never been a 'free spirit' like Maxima of the Netherlands for example and in many cases she is stuffy in the speeches that are written for her. She just isn't the personality to pull this off in a great way - Maxima could do this easily and it would be natural. Rania isn't and believe me, if you know Jordan, you will know how stuffy, and pretentious the royals there can be are apart from people like Princess Alia al Feisal.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

back to current events

This is just a reminder that the King and Queen are in Qatar at the moment.

Information about the visit can be found here:

Official visit to Qatar: November 24, 2008

Humera
Jordanian Forum Moderator
Old 11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Courtier

She said it again and again: with her Youtube channel she wanted to encourage discussion "between young people" in the western and eastern worlds. Youtube is still a platform to reach especially them. And they were the audience she was talking to in her video, an audience that does not care much about royalty (for them royalty is usually something rather old-fashioned, a relict of a strange and somehow dark past), but in this case it liked the down-to-earth attitude of that Rania called Queen. Thus, it was appropriate for this specific occasion.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamah View Post
While I can see the thought behind the video, I don't think this was the right way to go about it. Obviously YouTube is an American company and the speech was tailored to an American audience and whilst it is not wrong for someone to have a sense of humour, this has seriously compromised her dignity and the position she holds. … she is a queen not a Hollywood celebrity and she should remember that.
I agree with your sentiment. I also felt Rania compromised the dignity of her royal position with the Letterman spoof. The spoof also reminded me of It’s A Royal Knockout that Charles and some of his siblings did a couple of decades ago (a very bad move on their part). Royals have a difficult balancing act between reaching out to the public and maintaining respect for their position, but I don’t think she managed it here.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Courtier

I especially did not like the 'where the hell is her majesty' part - slang and bad language though moderate but not from a queen's mouth or not in public anyway. Just wrong. Queen Noor would never have used such language in public.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:03 PM

^^^ yeah, I have to agree that wasn't very smart to say. If she had reviewed the Top Ten, she should've suggested something else.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Nobility

i thought it was funny to be honest, that's normal in The US especially a very modern up to beat place like SF.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Courtier

Yes, I do see what you mean Amoula and in my previous post I did say it was directed at an American audience but this is seen worldwide and so I think she should have been more prudent.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the videoclip. How appropriate that she chose to do something different and unique when accepting the award for Youtube Visionary.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Official visit to South Korea November 30 -

His Majesty King Abdullah II will start on Sunday a several-day official visit to South Korea during which he will hold talks with Korean President Lee Myung-Bak.
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King to visit South Korea

Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

This sounds like an interesting trip, it's a shame the Queen doesn't appear to be going. Maybe he will take Raiyah with him instead?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

King attends activities of Engineering Corps Day
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King attends activities of Engineering Corps Day

King Condoles Indian President
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King Condoles Indian President
Old 11-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Arrow

The last couple of posts have been moved here:

Queen Rania Award for Distinguished Teachers: 2005 - 2008

Humera
Jordanian Forum Moderator
Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

So,what if Noor never used a bad word i n p u b l i c but only privately?We would be satisfied,right?Even knowing that she pretends...Well,it's almost 2009 and Rania is a modern Queen.The humour she used was so smart that even the "bad" word sounded cute.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Courtier

Humour that was scripted for her. It may be 2009 but royalty is royalty and has standards to maintain in public. A witty comment in a speech is fine but this playacting stuff will date very quickly. Royals should leave 'comedy' to comedians.

Her hair is so much better. It is such a good look for her having it shorter

Closed Thread