The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

In all honesty, I think Queen Rania's been trying to downplay the wardrobe issue by wearing clothes that do not look couture at all. She seems to have established a working uniform for herself--often, a white or brown jacket over a white dress or tan slacks and usually adds a big belt. I've been actually wondering if she's trying to make the statement that she's aware of the criticism of past spending so is toning it down--a lot! QN did much the same after the riots at Ma'an where people were calling for KH to divorce her and their frustrations included what they saw as her lavish spending on clothes and jewels. So, she locked the jewels up and limited herself to a charm bracelet from her children ("Nine Parts of Desire") and then wore kaftans or skirts with simple peplum jackets whenever in public. I get the feeling the same thing is happening with QR and she's subtly communicating the fact she "gets it" through her clothing choices these days.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Courtier

With all respect Maryshawn, I couldn't disagree more. I think Rania continues to dress extravagently and the last few weeks provide more than enough examples of that. She wore couture dresses for the Time Mag function, for the launching of the cartoon series with Barbara Bush, in Britain for some event, and in Jordan during the Spanish state visit.

Plus, while she usually does wear slacks and a top with belt during her visits to Jordan, her outfits are rarely the same and few pieces get recycled. Her jewellery is constantly updated and while it maybe simple jewellery, I am sure it is still expensive. In addition, she wears new outfits for greeting visitors such as Queen Sophia, the Indonesian president, and the Egyptian president. And she always has a pair of usually new designer high-heeled shoes every time she appears in public.

Queen Rania, I believe, has yet to display Noor's wisdom.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Serene Highness

I understand and you're likely correct about the couture gowns at evening occasions. I guess what I am a bit puzzled by is the daytime clothing she often sports. It's usually the jacket and dress or slacks bit and, in my opinion, it's not very flattering to her nor do the pieces look very costly. The change seems striking given how she used to dress--during the day--and, if you look back, it does seem she's favoring the same rather monochromatic "look." Perhaps deliberately as it gives the appearance--to me--she is often wearing the same or very similar jackets and slacks. The white cotton looking dresses topped by heavy looking jackets just don't suit her and seem like a departure from past daywear.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness

QR Visits to the US

Hasn't it been quite awhile since Queen Rania spent as much time as she recently did in the US? Early on in her reign, I just seem to recall hearing about her visiting the States more. I wish there had been more local coverage about her trip to Chicago; there was just a small notice in the papers. I would like to see a reprisal of a 1:1 interview with Oprah for her magazine "O." The last time she wrote about her, I found it interesting--and it's been five years or so so I would really enjoy reading a new article/interview talking about how QR's life has changed in the intervening years.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Gentry

A wisdom that was attained by years of experience..belive me ..i as a jordanian can well remmebr Noor Extravagent ways very well....a hint : 1st Gulf War ...teh King was trying to get some help from Gulf states and she was jewlery shopping....

All are attacking Rania and forgetting others , any way ..aren't all royalty living in a much more better living condetions than their subject all over teh world ?!! if that is so ..then each Royal person should be subjected to a trial

I wish I can see the same zealous efforts of analyzing royals performed on other royals of the middle east ….maybe then we can hear of more thorough research …

Think Morocco for example .. I would like to hear our esteemed experts opinion of human rights, lavish spending and so on …

It appears that many here forget that Royalty in general are people who enjoy a much more privileged lifestyles than their subject, we may admire their style, their character..but still…we know deep inside that all should be equal …that what France have realized and successfully

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
With all respect Maryshawn, I couldn't disagree more. I think Rania continues to dress extravagently and the last few weeks provide more than enough examples of that. She wore couture dresses for the Time Mag function, for the launching of the cartoon series with Barbara Bush, in Britain for some event, and in Jordan during the Spanish state visit.

Plus, while she usually does wear slacks and a top with belt during her visits to Jordan, her outfits are rarely the same and few pieces get recycled. Her jewellery is constantly updated and while it maybe simple jewellery, I am sure it is still expensive. In addition, she wears new outfits for greeting visitors such as Queen Sophia, the Indonesian president, and the Egyptian president. And she always has a pair of usually new designer high-heeled shoes every time she appears in public.

Queen Rania, I believe, has yet to display Noor's wisdom.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by salwa
A wisdom that was attained by years of experience..belive me ..i as a jordanian can well remmebr Noor Extravagent ways very well....a hint : 1st Gulf War ...teh King was trying to get some help from Gulf states and she was jewlery shopping....

All are attacking Rania and forgetting others , any way ..aren't all royalty living in a much more better living condetions than their subject all over teh world ?!! if that is so ..then each Royal person should be subjected to a trial

I wish I can see the same zealous efforts of analyzing royals performed on other royals of the middle east ….maybe then we can hear of more thorough research …

Think Morocco for example .. I would like to hear our esteemed experts opinion of human rights, lavish spending and so on …

It appears that many here forget that Royalty in general are people who enjoy a much more privileged lifestyles than their subject, we may admire their style, their character..but still…we know deep inside that all should be equal …that what France have realized and successfully
Salwa, I agree with you to an extent that the JRF are mot the only monarchy to live the high life, however, I don't see Lalla Salma doing photo spreads in Hello or appearances on Oprah.

The biggest objection to Abdullah and Rania that i have is that after all the talking, talking and more talking, swanning around the world etc etc, they haven't actually done anything of real note and they do have the power to change a good many things.

Nobody forced attention on them, they have actively courted it and have chosen to make all the promises and statements about reform - nothing major has changed.

If they stopped talking and actually DID something useful and really constructive then I might feel differently. They are the ones who publicized themselves as 'the reformers', 'the modernists' etc.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Royal Highness

from Petra:
King, Queen arrive in Kuwait
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/May/21/35.htm

Old 05-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
She also admitted recently though that she "borrows" alot of her dresses from designers. As she's worn quite a few designs by Rochas recently I suspect she goes through periods of borrowing clothes from different desingers.
Either way, if she hasn't paid for her evening gowns then she's saved thousands, they would be the most expensive items in her wardrobe.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz70
Working hard in what way? She attends lots of functions, which I agree must be tiresome but hardly in the same league as someone who has to work hard day in day out to support their family - without the perks of mega-wealth
That applies to any royal though, regardless of the country they come from. At least she's attending functions, there are other Royal women (notably Arab) who do little or nothing in way of Royal duties.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Royal Highness

King Holds Talks with Kuwaiti Emir
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/May/21/81.htm

Old 05-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Nobility

Thanks for the pictures Asturiana
Old 05-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

AMMAN (JT) — Foreign Minister Abdul Ilah Khatib on Saturday said a visit today by King Abdullah and Queen Rania to Kuwait seeks to boost bilateral ties and enhance cooperation on regional and international issues.

Khatib told the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) that the visit "reflects the good relationships between Jordan and Kuwait," adding that increasing Kuwaiti investments in Jordan contributes to stronger ties between the two countries
LINK
Old 05-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Talking about the human rights thing in Morocco,Morocco is doing the best in whole Middle east and North africa in this matter,I know it's still not enough comparing to Europe for example,but changes are here and obvious from 1999 till now,and there's a big difference between what was under King HassanII for example and King M6,just the results are here,and nobody can deny them,inlike Jordan....Didn't Mrs Barbara Bush say that on her visit last year to Jordan..and Jordan and other countries in the region should follow the Morocco's example....
Old 05-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
She also admitted recently though that she "borrows" alot of her dresses from designers. As she's worn quite a few designs by Rochas recently I suspect she goes through periods of borrowing clothes from different desingers.
Either way, if she hasn't paid for her evening gowns then she's saved thousands, they would be the most expensive items in her wardrobe.

It is a shame that she borrows clothes from designes,imo,this is not very royal,is she obliged to attend only in designer dresses??!!...,I think it's better for her to promote her country's designers and style(the moroccan princesses are a good example for that),instead of being a tool of adverstising for famous designers ....
Old 05-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad25
Does all the Royal families and not just Jordan's go out their like the rest of us and earn their money??

I red her interview on Hellomagazine cant rememebr which one but the Queen had like 4 hour sleep and then she had to go around the conuntry to inspect whatevers been going on in the Jordanian cities, can some one actually tell me she does nothing other than attend functions??? Surly she does more than that!

It's funny for somebody who doesn't find even time to sleep enough,that she find time to pose and make interviews in "hello and holamagazine","Bazaar" "Oprah"....,maybe this is her priorities....

Imo,she worked more when she was a secretary for "citybank" than now as a "Jetsetter Queen"...
Old 05-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
It's funny for somebody who doesn't find even time to sleep enough,that she find time to pose and make interviews in "hello and holamagazine","Bazaar" "Oprah"....,maybe this is her priorities....

Imo,she worked more when she was a secretary for "citybank" than now as a "Jetsetter Queen"...
Silly me, and I thought most queens and princesses pose for the media and cut red ribbons, while getting paid by the public, whether such royalty happen to enjoy the glow of tyranical power or full fledged democracy. This absurd idea that Queen Rania can actually do more for her country could only be claimed by someone who doesn't understand the political dynamic of a middle eastern state. If democracy works for the region, then it would have been a blessing for Iraq where the rate of death will exceed that under psycho Sadam by 2010.

PS. Instead of bitching about another woman's lack of promoting 'native design,' or past secretarial job, maybe actual substance on her work will be more interesting to read. I'm all for some reality check when it comes to north american media towards arab countries beyond the next suicide bomber, but atlease Queen Rania is the only visible female presence in a middle eastern monarchy. I can go on and on about what Rania lacks, but I can also acknowledge the positive role she plays in her country whether its the Jordan River Foundation or her campaign for the protection of children. She knows that the media and sadly our western superficial focus on female beauty can be used to promote causes and economic reforms for Jordan, which is why young monarch from Princess Mary to Queen Rania allow the media to focus on their supposed glamour.

Quote:

Morroco is just begining to comprehend the concept that you can't sick your secret police on every man and woman that disagrees with the king. Its not as bad as Algeria, but neither is it as progressive as Tunisia when it comes to human rights in relation to women. Present King decided to open Morocco to western investment and realizes respect for the rule of law is part of developing his country, which is primarely populated by extremely traditional community.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Gentry

Thank you :)..

No royal is perfect ..it is not her fault that she is a media figure ...if she was dowdy looking peopel would still talk and say ..what kind of a qqueen is this ? if she keeps on leading the typical first lady program of any Arab king wife ..people wpuld say she doesn't contrebute to society and so ...what does she have to do to gain acceptance? ha?

funny thing we cannot hear any complaints about other Royal figures ..

She is doing her best ..and that is enough for us Jordanian ..for all we know ..she could just be the king wife and sit down to have tea with other royalty ..but she is trying to make a change...and change do not come easy ..it need to be spread nationally and internationally ..so even if she and the king repeat what tehy state in each occasion ..it is because some mentalities need to hear this again and again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamyah
Silly me, and I thought most queens and princesses pose for the media and cut red ribbons, while getting paid by the public, whether such royalty happen to enjoy the glow of tyranical power or full fledged democracy. This absurd idea that Queen Rania can actually do more for her country could only be claimed by someone who doesn't understand the political dynamic of a middle eastern state. If democracy works for the region, then it would have been a blessing for Iraq where the rate of death will exceed that under psycho Sadam by 2010.

PS. Instead of bitching about another woman's lack of promoting 'native design,' or past secretarial job, maybe actual substance on her work will be more interesting to read. I'm all for some reality check when it comes to north american media towards arab countries beyond the next suicide bomber, but atlease Queen Rania is the only visible female presence in a middle eastern monarchy. I can go on and on about what Rania lacks, but I can also acknowledge the positive role she plays in her country whether its the Jordan River Foundation or her campaign for the protection of children. She knows that the media and sadly our western superficial focus on female beauty can be used to promote causes and economic reforms for Jordan, which is why young monarch from Princess Mary to Queen Rania allow the media to focus on their supposed glamour.

Morroco is just begining to comprehend the concept that you can't sick your secret police on every man and woman that disagrees with the king. Its not as bad as Algeria, but neither is it as progressive as Tunisia when it comes to human rights in relation to women. Present King decided to open Morocco to western investment and realizes respect for the rule of law is part of developing his country, which is primarely populated by extremely traditional community.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Courtier

We can argue till the end of the day Morocco Vs Jordan in Human rights' matter,but reality is here,and in Jordan I can't see local papers critisizing lavish life of their royals or even their need and way of ruling, as it's done in Morocco(Telquel,Le Journal,Aljareeda....none of the journalists of those moroccan independant papers who had write about those topics is jailed or so,and papers are still sold publicly)...,without talking about the honour killings...

Also,both royal families might have a lavish life,but Morocco is not living from International aids,inlike Jordan....
Old 05-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Gentry

So Morroco do not have people living in poverty at all?!! Soem areas in Morrocco suffer from the lack of all human being decent living condetions like any other Arab country ...KSA & even UAE have their share of poverty ..belive it or not ..

Just the other day i was shocked of something i saw on Dubai " Sama Dubai TV" of a family living in a shack like house ..this family had 4 handicaped children and live on almost nothing ....Many freind of mine whose parents live in Saudi Arabia can write books on poverty ....

What about political prisoners who are still missing since King Hassan days ? Or ones in the deseart hidden jails ?

So Jordan is not a rare case and it's royalty are no diffrent than others .....

Am not saying that Morroco isn't going in the right way " at least better thanit was under King Hassan and with king Mohammad like King Abdulla -modern and realistic ", progress and development cannot be observed in a short period ..some times it takes a decade and is affected by regional and international changes ..political and economic ...

Morocco has a per capita income of $1,200, placing it in the lower class of middle-income countries in the region. Its social indicators are among the lowest in the region. Approximately 49% of adults aged 15 and above were illiterate in 2002, placing Morocco at 20th among the 22 Arab League countries (surpassing only Mauritania and Yemen). Women are particularly affected, with female illiteracy rate at 62 percent, and significantly higher in rural areas. Progress made in the early nineties in poverty alleviation has been lost: approximately 20% of the total population remains under the absolute poverty line (about one dollar per day), with two-thirds being located in rural areas (3.5 million, or more than 10% of the population). Moreover, about 55% of the rural population and 33% of the urban population were considered "economically vulnerable" in 2003. The country's economy remains overly dependant on rain, and adverse climatic conditions directly impact the level of rural poverty. Economic growth is further constrained by government policies that retard rapid modernization of the rural economy, diversification of cereal production, and efficient use of scarce water resources. Urban poverty is a direct consequence of unemployment, which is particularly high among youth (up to 35.4% in 15-24 year olds in 2004 alone). Such a high unemployment among youth contributes to insecurity and instability in urban areas.

Ref. USAID

http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/democr...e/morocco.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
We can argue till the end of the day Morocco Vs Jordan in Human rights' matter,but reality is here,and in Jordan I can't see local papers critisizing lavish life of their royals or even their need and way of ruling, as it's done in Morocco(Telquel,Le Journal,Aljareeda....none of the journalists of those moroccan independant papers who had write about those topics is jailed or so,and papers are still sold publicly)...,without talking about the honour killings...

Also,both royal families might have a lavish life,but Morocco is not living from International aids,inlike Jordan....
Old 05-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Nobility

Queen Rania cant besically win, if she goes on public and admitts borrowing cloths form designers that means shes not paying a penny still people's not happy about that! If she spends (oh shes spending too much money)..and by giving intreviws to magazines such as Hello, isnt a good advertise for Jordans tourism because if she dosnt promote the country who else will she is the Queen of Jordan, didnt Noor do that before? And iv seen her wearing Jordanian cloths several times before.