The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Courtier

I agree with you both , and understand yours points , it is not the first time that happen on Oprha Show they did it before when they host Shikah from the royal family of Kuwait and she was talking about the women in Kuwait as that every one lives like her !!
I like when some one came from our region to talk about what happen on the ground , what happen to the most of the people , I hope they stop creating an image that satisfied the west , I don't know why they care about their opinion in our lifes more than our opinion in our lifes !!

The Queen doing great job in helping women in Jordan through Jordan River projects for example ,but they didn't show that !! shame on them .

Old 05-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Gentry

Thumbs up

This is the point houri ..
I mean many of my friends participated as volunteers " providing feasibility & financial Studies" in many project that aimed at helping women in creating financial independence to achieve better living standards for their families " Many widows and divorced ones" and it was her majesty efforts and support and encouragement that opened the door for such issues to surface ..

Maybe next time they'll shed the light on these brave and amazing women who are the real Jordanian ladies and who are the direct beneficiaries of her majesty efforts …

God bless her and may she keep on doing her best for Jordan ....she is still young and one learns from mistakes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houri
I agree with you both , and understand yours points , it is not the first time that happen on Oprha Show they did it before when they host Shikah from the royal family of Kuwait and she was talking about the women in Kuwait as that every one lives like her !!
I like when some one came from our region to talk about what happen on the ground , what happen to the most of the people , I hope they stop creating an image that satisfied the west , I don't know why they care about their opinion in our lifes more than our opinion in our lifes !!

The Queen doing great job in helping women in Jordan through Jordan River projects for example ,but they didn't show that !! shame on them .

Old 05-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

function doCorpInfoSearch(corpInfoDictStr){corpInfoDictWin=window.open('/cm/?corpSelect=cName&searchType=company&corpQuery=' + corpInfoDictStr + '&cHName=' + corpInfoDictStr ,'corpInfoDictWin');corpInfoDictWin.focus(); } AMMAN (JT) — Her Majesty Queen Rania met with the Arab Women's Labour Committee (AWLC) on Wednesday to discuss ways of developing guidelines and regulations to improve the working environment for women while ensuring these guidelines remain equitable to employers.LINK
Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil Monkey
Well,as a Jordanian I honestly was so disappointed , so were most of the Jordanians here. She did sound down to earth and all and she was nice, but I was so SHOCKED and angry after they showed this 10 mns video recording of three "so-Called" jordanian women!
Those Women do NOT represent Jordanian women, some Jordanian women, have to work their heads off in order to get a few Dinars to HELP support their families...They don't go everyday to the gym to lose Baby fat!! or what did the other women say ummm, "I just look for the American Cereal and buy it for my kids!!", blah blah blah!
The one that pissed me off the most is the women who said " we order once a week from Dominos pizza!).
Some people dun have money to buy bread!!

They showed a couple of pics of where those three women lived, and I tell you at least one of them lives in Abdoun or Swaifieh (which are known to be the highest class areas in Jordan!)

Ah come on for God's sake!! I bet the whole world knows Jordan isn't a rich country and those women (who were showed in Oprah), do not represent 20% of the population!
So why all that?

It's fine showing how such people live, and that there are very open minded and high class people in Jordan, but at least they should have shown the other half of the story, the poor people or even the refugee camps!

I would be even more shocked if QR knew about this short "reportage" and let them show it. I really hope she didn't!

Anyway,
It was nice seeing the Queen, she sounded down to earth, if only they didn't show this silly reportage!
I haven't seen the show, we don't get Oprah here and if we do it's not at a time when it's convenient for me to watch, so as I haven't seen the show yet, I can't really comment.

I do think it's a shame though, if as you've pointed out they weren't balanced. Whilst it's important for people to understand that there are people who live lives that are similar to those in the West it's also important theat they show both sides of the story. It's no secret that Jordan has millions of poor people so not including them, if there was a segment on everyday Jordanian woman, was a bad decision imo.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Amman, May. 17, (BNA) Jordanian Monarch, King Abdulla II, held talks today with Iranian Foreign Minister, Manuchehr Motaki, on bilateral relations and the latest regional developments.
LINK
Old 05-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Heir Apparent

looking at oprah's webpage i found this transcript of an interview with rania. i'm not sure if this is what she said this last time she visited her, but i think she still sounds very clever and down to earth and demonstrates her wish to show what the jordanians are like, in a clear and easy way for americans, a totally different culture who may have misconceptions about the country she is queen of. it's worth a look: http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/...011005_d.jhtml

in which other show was rania at some time ago, when she took little prince hashem with her? was it in oprah's show as well?

btw, thank you amira for those great screenshots!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Commoner

Queen Rania on Oprah

Here are some pictures of Queen Rania on the Oprah show:

(images care of The Oprah Show)
Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

You're welcome Carlota , Salwa and Houri...my pleasure :)
Old 05-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira
I just finished watching the Oprah show ...the queens looked beautiful as usual :) here are some pictures from the show ( by me , i mean my camera )
thanks Amira for sharing!!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:38 PM

I can understand why Jordanians would dislike the short movie clip because it is unrepresentative of Jordan, but as a Westerner I would like to give my opinion on how I saw the clip.
I thought the clip was brilliant in showing that islam is compatible with everyday life. Both the veiled lady and the stay at home mother of three gave an excellent impression of islam and how it does not oppress women but gives their life a spiritual meaning while allowing them to be modern and empowered. For the exception of the 'fashion' lady, i did not think the other two ladies gave the impression of being american or western, just modern, which is very different.
I also agree it would be nice to present women who benefitted from the Jordan River foundation, but I don't think that was the purpose of this clip. I can understand it is not representative of all Jordanian women, but the clip specifically mentioned they are presenting women from Amman. I visited Jordan once, and I did get the impression that women in the capital lead similar lives to those shown on the video. But of course one visit can be deceptive.
I am sorry for rambling, but I thought it was important to point out, as a person living in the West, that the show gave an excellent impression of Islam and modernity, and i think that is very important for the world today. After all, the episode is mainly aimed at an american audience, not a Jordanian audience.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Nobility

This whole episode of Oprah was farcical and totally geared to what the West needs to be shown in order to feel a bit more 'secure'.

The video of the woman was about as representative of the 'average' Jordanian woman as if they had showed Minnie Mouse!! In much the same way that Queen Rania is trying to present herself as the acceptable face of a dictatorship where the King has absolute rule. So far removed from reality it is laugable. I suppose they have to keep America on side in order to ensure that one of their main sources of income isn't cut off.

If Abdullah wanted to outlaw and punish 'honour killings' he could do so at a stroke, he could repeal the crackdowns on a free and democratic press and stop sending people to prison for legitimate criticism of his regime. He could stop his police from torturing people in secret prisons etc etc. I could go on ad nauseum.

When will people stop swallowing the hype hook, line and sinker and actualy start to look at the reality of what goes on in Jordan.

Rania isn't as bad as her husband, although she is Marie - Antoinette in the Middle East (yes other Princesses have luxurious lifestyles to but they usually have the oil wealth to pay for it!!!) but the hypocritical talk of human rights and democracy and 'tolerance' is just totally laughable.

How 'tolerant' is KA to journalists who criticize him? Where are the human rights of those being murdered in cold blood for being raped?

What a joke!
Old 05-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Courtier

The Oprah Show was a total bore for me - I've read interviews of Rania before, and basically she says the same thing in either exactly the same way or with a few change of words. The thing is that both Rania and Abdullah are very good with catch-phrases (i.e. "Poverty is a she" and Acceptance and tolerance are necessary...) which makes for good news articles and TV shows but doesn't actually accomplish anything in reality.

I used to find Rania's interviews very interesting but the repetitiveness is too much. I can almost predict now what she'll say in response to what questions. Of course, some of the problem lies with the interviewers who generally ask the same type of questions but the problem also lies with Rania, who is, in my opinion, one-dimensional.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Nobility

Totally agree Madonna23. One has to ask where the 'real' progress has been made in the 7 years they have been in charge? If anything people are more repressed than under King Hussein.

How much have Abdullah and Rania actually achieved and i am not tlking about sitting on one's butt in a convention centre or 5 star hotel, eating amuse-bouche and 'gassing' about how awful it is for poor people. They rattle on about the same old stuff because they haven't solved anything or done anything of substance in their time on the throne.

She should stick to what she does best , standing around wearing couture whilst the despot she married rides on the backs of his people!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23

I used to find Rania's interviews very interesting but the repetitiveness is too much. I can almost predict now what she'll say in response to what questions. Of course, some of the problem lies with the interviewers who generally ask the same type of questions but the problem also lies with Rania, who is, in my opinion, one-dimensional.

One doesn't have to be smart to understund that there's nothing impressing about what QR is doing,ALL it's a question of a media play ,and YES,the repetitiveness of what she always says,shows that she's only briefed and repeat always the same things...,and what others want to hear,there's no substance of her interviews and works,and time is showing that it is only a lot of fuss for nothing.....
Old 05-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Nobility

All style and absolutely no substance - that is Rania's problem.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz70
Totally agree Madonna23. One has to ask where the 'real' progress has been made in the 7 years they have been in charge? If anything people are more repressed than under King Hussein.

How much have Abdullah and Rania actually achieved and i am not tlking about sitting on one's butt in a convention centre or 5 star hotel, eating amuse-bouche and 'gassing' about how awful it is for poor people. They rattle on about the same old stuff because they haven't solved anything or done anything of substance in their time on the throne.

She should stick to what she does best , standing around wearing couture whilst the despot she married rides on the backs of his people!
Actually, all polls indicate that Jordanians themselves believe there is more freedom now in Jordan than there ever was before. For example, a study on the perceptions of democracy among Jordanians, conducted by a research centre at Jordan University, (http://www.css-jordan.org/polls/demo...oll2005-en.pdf) shows that Jordanians feel they are more free to participate in demonstrations and sit-ins, and to voice their opinion than ever before. Jordania''s views of press freedom are still the same as in 1996, so there is no change there, but for the first time under King Abdullah's leadership there is a Jordanian newspaper that is independent. In the past all newspapers had to be partially or fully owned by government. Also, the first independent Jordanian TV channel is due to launch this summer. Baby steps, but it seems in the right direction.

I agree though about the apparent expenditure of the Queen and King. Certainly they rule a developing country and should keep that in mind.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
One doesn't have to be smart to understund that there's nothing impressing about what QR is doing,ALL it's a question of a media play ,and YES,the repetitiveness of what she always says,shows that she's only briefed and repeat always the same things...,and what others want to hear,there's no substance of her interviews and works,and time is showing that it is only a lot of fuss for nothing.....
I don't see Queen Rania anymore unique that the same repetitive speeches and useless lines our own political figure heads of the so-called greatest democracy state whenever a microphone is thrusted upon them. She is no different than President Bush, PM Blair or Harper, all trained to repeat what's written by the 10s of speech writers on their payrole, paid I might add by the tax payers. The only difference I can see under the leadership of King Abdullah and his wife is that he's actually improving the economy of his own country, despite the lack of natural resources in Jordan. In fact, through his skillful diplomacy, he managed to bring much more investment and social changes for the people. Jordan like the rest of the middle east faces the problem of balancing out the old traditional and patriarchal society with the new and much more western educated youth. Atlease, Abdullah and Rania are practicing their currency of despotic power by making it better for Jordanians, if such a thing can be possible in the long run.

PS. On the matter of honor killing (can't see what's honorable about murder) its practiced by the native Jordanian tribes who happen to be 25% of the country and most loyal to the monarchy, while the rest of the 75% are Palestinians and not the most loyal due to the history they have with King Hussein. To outlaw such murder wil not change anything, what need to take place is cultural revolution and that takes long committment and familiarity. How could some tribal council listen to a woman that doesn't dress according to their standard, but wears latest designer fashion? They are likely to listen to the King and other princesses than the present queen.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Courtier

BlackBeauty, while I do not know for sure, the poll you mentioned about democracy in Jordan was flawed because another report found that most Jordanians are afraid to tell their real opinions in national polls. I don't know what most Jordanians feel - and they may very well think government is improving - but I don't think the poll can be used as an accurate reflection of Jordanian opinion.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
BlackBeauty, while I do not know for sure, the poll you mentioned about democracy in Jordan was flawed because another report found that most Jordanians are afraid to tell their real opinions in national polls. I don't know what most Jordanians feel - and they may very well think government is improving - but I don't think the poll can be used as an accurate reflection of Jordanian opinion.
I am sure your right... they do say that there r three kinds of lies in this world, white lies, goddamn lies and statistics :p but i do feel that some of the accusations against the Jordanian royal family are very cuuning and unjustified. But then I have only been to Jordan once, as a tourist, so I can not judge. However,while i was in Jordan, spekaing to the local people, I felt there was a lot of hope and optimism for the future :)
Old 05-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Courtier

I guess QR needs some decent staff and assistants, they just don't seem to tell her the truth , even if QR thinks she knows how things really are, I guess her staff will probably hide a few things away from her..