General news about King Abdullah, Queen Rania & Family 1: August 2009 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever heard of the avalanche effect, well it now reached Jordan and then probably Syria will follow. Scary stuff I'm telling u :-(

It is only the same thing that happened after the fall of communism. Totalitarian regimes by their very nature do not last forever. History teaches us that.

I think someone here said that when people are afraid to criticize the male leader they say things about the wife instead, it amounts to the same thing and Jordanian law actually says it is illegal to criticize the king and anyone in the royal family but it seems that the events of Tunisia, Yemen and Egypt have made people bold and coupled with the usual response of Abdullah to just sack a PM and let him take the heat and appointment of a new and unpopular PM has made people see red and without the support of the tribal leaders Abdullah will fall.
really? its that serious?
i always that people were happy with them , how they are modern and stuff.
i mean... she has a twitter account!!
that alone speaks volumes.

maybe a situation in Jordan is that people feel ,its somewhat safe to criticize their rulers and demand changes, reforms,
whilst in other arab nations, maybe people arent that poor but maybe want more freedoms, but its incomprehensible , that anyone would dare to say anything.
They'd prolly be locked in other countries immediately.
Could something like this happen in UAE or KSA??
i wonder?

Ever heard of the avalanche effect, well it now reached Jordan and then probably Syria will follow. Scary stuff I'm telling u :-(
does anyone know if this can happen in KSA or UAE, are people allowed to demonstrate there? or not?
i really dont know?
baš se pitam, hehe:ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little suspicious of the tribal criticism of Rania in the CNN story I've linked to below. Though I think the comments about her spending habits are fair, it is common in Jordan for opponents to attack a reigning king through his queen. This happened when King Hussein was alive as well. So I suspect another agenda is at work beneath the surface here. I'm also unconvinced by the claim she's interfered in politics. Do they mean her social projects, the interviews she does about the Middle East or actual interventions in official politics (deciding on who is appointed prime minister for example)?

Jordanian tribal figures criticize queen, demand reform

excerpt:
"The statement from 36 members of the country's major tribes attacked what they called the interference of Queen Rania in running the country. The queen, "her sycophants and the power centers that surround her" are dividing Jordanians and "stealing from the country and the people," the letter states."

Jordanian tribal figures criticize queen, demand reform - CNN.com

Last edited:
maybe a situation in Jordan is that people feel ,its somewhat safe to criticize their rulers and demand changes, reforms,
whilst in other arab nations, maybe people arent that poor but maybe want more freedoms, but its incomprehensible , that anyone would dare to say anything.
They'd prolly be locked in other countries immediately.
:previous:It's interesting you should mention that. I was reading one of the blogs on this issue and the Jordanian members got pretty defensive because it was the non-Jordanians who had more of a bee in their bonnet about the Hashemites. One lady pretty much mentioned all the arbitrary measures that exist elsewhere in the ME but not so much Jordan.

The current situation is quite an expedient to conservatives, who've always resented QR's initiatives, they've been the major stumbling blocks to any significant action against honour crimes etc. and let's not forget the anti-Palestinian element in Jordan, many of which have never liked her background (something that's being mentioned all over the press). There's a lot more here than meets the eye.

As for the Gulf nations, that's a whole different topic. I asked my ME prof. the same question last week. Suffice it to say, their populations apparently haven't the same longing for democracy (at least they don't seem to be in such a hurry) nor is their rulers' ultra-extravagant lifestyles as abhorrent because they don't have the economic problems rampant elsewhere in the ME. Makes you wonder if money really does buy happiness doesn't it?

JORDAN: Tribesmen slam Queen Rania, warn of revolt
Three dozen members of powerful Jordanian tribes have lashed out at the country's glamorous Queen Rania and denounced what they called a "crisis of authority," calling for political change and justice against those involved in corruption in the Arab kingdom more

For me, this isn't about personalities involved but the bigger picture of some real reform within the system that will actually benefit all Jordanians. However, I do not accept that King Abdullah is some helpless person who has had to go along with whatever the tribes or his parliament have said. The reality is he has HAD to keep the tribes sweet in order to stay in power as without them, he has no backing and no power so if he has turned his back on certain issues, it has been because of self interest.

Those of us of Jordanian blood don't want an overthrow but reforms. The spotlight is on the Middle East and in this mood, it is only right that the King is made aware of how people feel. For a long time he has been inaccessible to the people and he and his wife have been too busy following their own agendas elsewhere. In the meantime the country has suffered greatly.

You can't compare Levantine Arabs with Gulf Arabs as we are totally different in almost all things except language and even then we differ! It is true that UAE and other rulers have relatively small native populations and enough oil money to ensure good health care, reasonable wealth and good education for their own citizens and they are also intensely tribal which may explain why the Gulf nations keep quiet although even there, there are growing numbers of people who want democracy.

Many of Abdullah's blogosphere supporters are in fact people who have an interest of some description and the internet in Jordan is heavily monitored by the security forces and active campaigns are waged by employees of certain state departments. Also many are wealthy Abdouni's who actually have the attitude that they don't care as long as they are OK but for the majority of Jordanians who ARE poor, unemployed, can't afford decent healthcare etc and are denied a voice whether they are East Bankers or West Bankers somebody needs to change things. It is a measure of a nation of how it's poorest citizens are living and they are living VERY poorly indeed despite the photocalls arranged by the palace.

King Abdullah has been promising reform and many other thing ever since he got onto the throne, he needs to listen to what is being said because he may be forced off the throne if he does not. Many Jordanians do not want to overthrow the royal family but just have them put their house in order and deliver on key reforms and democracy. We are not so stupid that we want to exchange one dictator for another like they did in Iran and Iraq better to have the devil you know.

A very interesting blog has been (for years) for me "The Black Iris of Jordan" (to name here one that uses mostly English as language)
Of course, the reforms the country needs is a major subject there at the moment.

The Black Iris of Jordan

Not only in Jordan or Morocco we see a lot of frustration about royal families.
Also all over Europe we can see a lot of frustration and anger about the jet set lifestyle of the Royals
and the gap between them and people loosing their job, suffering the raising costs of life.
A lot of people think it is unfair that a small group of rich people has all the privileges that the vast majority does not have.
In Europe we have democracy (at least we think we have it) but the difference between rich and poor (or non privileged) is growing now.
If this will continue I think that monarchy will be history in about ten or twenty years

it will and it should , its only logical.

The New York Times has posted a piece about the Bedouin statement. I believe the bit about the farmland is new.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/world/middleeast/08jordan.html?_r=1&ref=world

"The statement mentioned those concerns, calling on Abdullah to return farmlands rumored to have ended up in the hands of the queen’s family. Referring to a lavish party she threw in September in southern Jordan for her 40th birthday, it said, “We reject outrageous birthdays that come at the expense of the poor and the treasury.”"

Rare Attack on Jordanian Queen Heightens Soccer Tensions
From a blog, I believe

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/600176-rare-attack-on-jordanian-queen-heightens-soccer-tensions

A little background from the Washington Institute for Near East Policy
Jordan: Heightened Instability, But Not Yet a Major Crisis

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/templateC05.php?CID=3298

Last edited:
Oh, one less monarchy in the world? :ermm:

Should we say goodbye to Queen Rania? :eek:

:previous:I doubt it, that sentiment is not shared by the majority of Jordanians.

Don’t Forget About Jordan and Yemen

. . . Jordan is another matter. While Jordanians are gathering in the cities to complain against high prices and poor education, few that live in or know Jordan believe that this will amount to anything resembling the Tunisian or Egyptian uprisings.

Here's an article, basically reiterating what I said in my last post:

The 36 tribal leaders attacked Queen Rania's Palestinian origins and said she was "building power centres for her own interests".

. . .The tribes, from Jordan's East Bank, are usually supportive of the Hashemite monarchy, with members holding important positions in the military and government.

Queen Rania is of Palestinian, or West Bank, origin, like the majority of Jordanians. She has a prominent profile and has been supportive of women's rights.BBC News - Jordan tribes criticise Queen Rania's 'political role'

We all know she has no political role. But over the years Queen Rania has bypassed the conservative stumbling blocks to her initiatives by building extensive partnerships with the private sector and that annoys them to no end. I think that if she stayed meekly behind-the-scenes, they'll be quite happy, that's being pointed out by the media as well. Political interference is being used as a smokescreen here.

It's strange... Queen Rania has not showed up herself in Twitter since this news had come out. No tweet from her since 30th January.

Queen Rania seemed such a woman of charity but now I have stopped to think: how she can have such a jet set life when people in Jordan are hungry? :sad:

I know she wants to look like an occidental Queen, but she is not. Princess Letizia, Princess Mary, for example, they live in rich countries where there is no poverty so loud as Jordan, so they can have all that luxury. Look at Lalla Salma, she at least wears clothes that are typical of her country. I don't see Rania doing the same.

I fear for the King and Queen. And, I believe their situation could become very tenuous(sp?), very quickly. With the political state of Egypt (and probably Syria, next; and then a possible further escalation in Turkey) there is always a chance that greater unrest in Jordan may be possible. I hope not.

Let's hope that the King and Queen remain safe: things are looking quite precarious for them from this distance.

I'm reluctant to comment too much as I don't know a lot about Middle East governments, but if it's true that the King refuses to allow his people to vote for their PM and government but insists on continuing to have the right to simply appoint them, then perhaps their majesties are insensitive to a rapidly changing political reality. In today's internet world it's very easy to see what's happening around the globe and how other people live and it's not surprising that a more democratic change is being demanded in many places.

As for the specific corruption complaints directed at the Queen and her family, I have no idea about their legitimacy. It's very concerning, however. True or not, it's worrying to read that imprisonment is the penalty for criticising the royal family.

Or perhaps it's wrong for us from the free world to assume that our democracies are the best, and only, way to live.

I wish the Jordanian people and their King and Queen everything that's good. I hope that their difficulties can be resolved without too much further disruption.

I've always had the impression of Queen Rania that she was a woman that a person wouldn't want to "mess with."

I'm not that surprised Rania is being criticized. I always felt her jet-setting, lavish lifestyle while being Queen of a poor country would one day hurt her. Karma is what she could be experiencing.

THE QUEEN ACCUSED OF CORRUPTION!!!

I never liked the image that the Queen wants to show to western medias, which is based on appearence and looks...It's not because she is a fashionista, and she's everywhere that it means she's doing a good job.

Nowadays, jordanian people are showing their anger basically against her and her family "Al Yassine", which seems to be the jordanian "Taraboulssi".
According to this article, some notables made a request to the King to get back their lands tooken by Rania and her family.

L'essentiel Online - Les Jordaniens accusent la reine de corruption - Monde

We ask king Abdallah to order recovery by the Treasury of the grounds and of farms recorded in the name of the family Yassin (family of the Rania queen) whereas they are the property of the Jordanian people”, indicated an official statement signed by thirty-six personalities belonging to the large tribes. This text breaks a taboo in a country where the critics aiming at the royal family are liable three years of prison. No reaction could be obtained from the royal palace. The signatories of the document, pertaining to big families Bedouins, traditionally honest with the reigning family hachémite, estimate that Jordan “passes through a crisis of the capacity” According to them, it “will be early or late the target of a rising similar to Tunisia and Egypt” and they require “the judgement of corrupted which plundered the country, whatever they are and whatever their row and their importance”. “The events in Tunisia and Egypt gave courage to Jordanian to publicly say what they whisper since one moment”, an political analyst declared Jordanian yesterday. “The fear, so common among Arab people because of authoritarian regimes, changed camp, it is today in that of the leaders”.

It´s quite funny how they bash Rania, while for example the Saudis are really lavish, and not just the women. :bang:
And sorry, IMO it´s a gender thing. Rania is too emancipated for them.

(Don´t think that Turkey will have riots)

Statement by the Royal Hashemite Court

Amman, Feb. 10(Petra)-- On 6th and 9th of February 2011, Agence France Presse (AFP) Jordan’s Bureau published articles making very serious and totally untrue allegations against Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah and Her Majesty's family, the Yasin family. These articles were mainly based on a statement made by 36 Jordanian individuals whom the AFP Bureau Chief Ms. Randa Habib wrongly described as "tribal leaders", and whom she inferred represented the tribal population of Jordan. Had Ms. Habib undertaken any investigation, she would have found that the 36 individuals are not leaders of the tribes to which they belong, and that they do not represent the tens of thousands of people from these proud Jordanian tribes; tribes that have always been dedicated to the well being of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.

Her latest "report", "Jordan Tribes Break Taboo by Targeting Queen", contains serious allegations against Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah and the Yasin family, in which there is no truth whatsoever. Amongst several other false allegations, the "report" claims that land and farms belonging to the Jordanian people were given to the Yasin family. Land register in Jordan is public record, and yet Ms. Habib failed to investigate the allegation.

Ms. Habib also quoted rumours that Her Majesty’s office has helped over 78,000 Palestinians obtain Jordanian nationalities without verifying them. This is a false accusation. These rumours should have been checked with the Ministry of Interior, whose official records would have proven that they are totally baseless.

Earlier today, the Royal Hashemite Court sent, via Jordan’s Ambassador to France, a letter to the Chairman and CEO of Agence France Press in Paris, France. The letter condemns, in the strongest possible terms the completely erroneous and defamatory statements about Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan. In particular, the Royal Hashemite Court objects to the basis of the stories which are not rooted in facts, but rather rely on hearsay, gossip, and unsubstantiated claims and also to the failure of Ms. Randa Habib to investigate the allegations quoted in her report.

The Royal Hashemite Court informed AFP that it reserves the right to pursue legal action against AFP and Ms. Randa Habib.

//Petra// SD
10/2/2011 - 10:50:27 PM
Petra

After a cleanup, the General News about King Abdullah, Queen Rania and Family thread is now reopened.

In regards to the allegations of corruption against Queen Rania, the Royal Court has issued a statement denying the allegations and reserving the right pursue legal action against AFP and the author. Therefore there is little that we can add to the topic. Members who have issues or concerns with the official statement should take them up with the Royal Jordanian Court.

News reports of King Abdullah's statements or actions regarding the current situation are relevant to the Forums but TRF is not the appropriate place to debate current or general political conditions in Jordan nor to pursue personal agendas.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact any of the Jordan moderators and/or TRF administrators via Private Message.

Dazzling, Humera and Zonk
Jordan Forum Moderators

^^^ Very interesting articles indeed,but only time will tell what will become of the JRF!

hi all
i am jordanian girl from jordanian origins and the the people here in jordan want the king abdulla and there is nothing threatening the jordanian throne and as a jordanians we won't allow for something like this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom