General news about King Abdullah, Queen Rania & Family 1: August 2009 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with you girls.... QR is always the most elegant royal lady IMO :)

Looks like quite a few were out to greet them.
Princess Salma and Prince Hashem appear to be wearing the same jacket (different coloured lining though). Princess Iman is starting to look more and more like her mother. I think Salma looks different from the rest of her siblings. I can't really tell yet whom she's going to resemble when she grows up.
the little Salma always remind me of Princess Basma and I don't know why:)
Imane is a beauty she is a very pretty young lady I am looking forward to see her doing her own duties in the future.
I am glad Hussein enjoyed the Saturday evenning watching his fav team playing even if I think it's a little odd to remove all the members family only to watxh the football match IMO.Imane does not look intested at all.

I am glad Hussein enjoyed the Saturday evenning watching his fav team playing even if I think it's a little odd to remove all the members family only to watxh the football match IMO.Imane does not look intested at all.

Princess Iman usually seems bored or sad

the little Salma always remind me of Princess Basma and I don't know why:)
Imane is a beauty she is a very pretty young lady I am looking forward to see her doing her own duties in the future.

I think because she has the same pronounced overbite that is a Hashemite genetic trait ;)

I think because she has the same pronounced overbite that is a Hashemite genetic trait ;)

plus she'd been wearing braces for quite awhile there and seemed embarrassed of them...idk if she still is

QRania was voted 3rd in this poll by Hola voters with 1179 votes (I could take a look into last week's issue of the magazine at the airport while waiting for my flight delayed due to heavy snow) behind two Spanish ladies: Isabel Preysler (who won this poll by a large margin with 4715 votes) and Naty Abascal (1638 votes). CPLetizia was voted 4th (666 votes), Monaco's PCaroline 6th, Carla Bruni 8th, Denmark's CPMary 10th, PElena 12th, QNoor 14th (233 votes).

QRania was voted 3rd in this poll by Hola voters with 1179 votes (I could take a look into last week's issue of the magazine at the airport while waiting for my flight delayed due to heavy snow) behind two Spanish ladies: Isabel Preysler (who won this poll by a large margin with 4715 votes) and Naty Abascal (1638 votes). CPLetizia was voted 4th (666 votes), Monaco's PCaroline 6th, Carla Bruni 8th, Denmark's CPMary 10th, PElena 12th, QNoor 14th (233 votes).

This doesn't surprise me as Rania hasn't worn anything really noteworthy for sometime and Hola is just a magazine full of sycophantic gossip and PR plants anyway. Isabel Preysler has worn some amazing outfits this year though and always look super elegant and groomed :) I find Asmaa Al-Assad to be far more elegant and professional in appearance as a Premier Lady from a ME country. I don't include Sheikha Mozah as she dresses according to a different criteria

Last edited:
According to Hola the 16 ladies (royals, first ladies, celebrities) included in the poll were selected by an international jury of fashion experts (and for them QRania was 3rd, too; preceded by Naty Abascal as 1st and Carla Bruni as second).
I agree that Asma Al-Assad should have been included, she is a very elegant lady.
It has astonished me a bit that CPLetizia did not get more votes - by readers of a Spanish magazine that does above all a lot of PR for the Spanish royals.

Last edited:
Jordan king orders price cuts 'to protect poor'
AMMAN — Jordan's government is preparing to take urgent steps to reduce prices of commodities amid rising popular discontent around the country, a senior official said on Tuesday.
"King Abdullah II has instructed Prime Minister Samir Rifai to take immediate and effective measures to mitigate the impact of rising prices of commodities on citizens," the official told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Prehaps its time for Jordan's king to take notes from Spain's king, and transition Jordan from dictatorship to democracy?

Very interesting article about Rania in the spanish newspaper El mundo.
You can read it in youkioske, but its in spanish: La otra cronica el mundo 5 febrero 2011.

Prehaps its time for Jordan's king to take notes from Spain's king, and transition Jordan from dictatorship to democracy?
I agree. He could use this opportunity to stand up to the conservatives and (eventually) allow the PM to be elected. That would be an important first step. There's always the danger of so-called Islamists coming to power but that can't always be used as an excuse to rob any population of the right to choose. A lot of articles I've been reading, including some comments from Jordanians, mention discontent with the government, and not so much the king. This is a good chance for him to show his people he's willing to give them a choice. He's been meeting with the opposition but I hope something concrete comes out of it. The situation in the ME right now is really more about political and economic reform, we haven't seen the usual anti-Western/anti-imperialist rhetoric (not yet anyway). That shows that people really are looking for solutions and not interested in the typical scapegoating against the west.

King is ‘off limits’ in Jordan
. . . Experts say Abdullah’s conservative allies, rather than the king, have been the biggest stumbling block to political reform. But if protests continue, he could seize the opportunity to push forward.
“He will have to give serious consideration to including key opposition people in the new cabinet,” says Jordan expert Curtis Ryan of Appalachian State University. “He can reach out to the opposition in the short term, and in the longer term draw the prime minister and the cabinet from the parliament.”

Discontent in Jordan NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/w...an.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

This is what I heard from every possible source or article I've read so far. It was a very bad and desperate move indeed. Perhaps the King thought that he could have the Bedouins on his side with this particular PM.:ermm: And you're absolutely right, this isn't the right time for trips or luxurious vacations (like in August), certainly not! ;)

Or paying for hundreds of wealthy foreign guests to jet in from around the world to a birthday party or have the number 40 in lights against the hills in Wadi Rum when lots of your people don't have electricity! :bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
This story contains the first real criticism of Rania I've seen in a Western publication in a long time.

Jordan Faces a Rising Tide of Unrest, but Few Expect a Revolt

"Last summer the queen turned 40 and threw herself a party in the hauntingly beautiful area of southern Jordan known as Wadi Rum. She invited 600 people, paying the way for many from abroad. The pink granite hills of Wadi Rum were electrically lighted with the number 40 — in a poor area where some people live without electricity. Water, a precious commodity there, was used by the truckload."

See full story at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/world/middleeast/05jordan.html?ref=middleeast

A column by Thomas Friedman at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/opinion/06friedman.html

"I have not been to Jordan for a while, but my ears are ringing today with complaints about corruption, frustration with the king and queen, and disgust at the enormous gaps between rich and poor."

Last edited:
LA OTRA CRONICA El Mundo 5 Febrero 2011 Periodicos españoles en Youkioske.com: Diarios de España

to tell you the truth she and her family were so criticized publicly by protesters ; they called her Rania Tarabulsi like the wife of Tunisia ex president

It is no secret that her spending and business deals would not stand up to any public scrutiny or the way she has enriched her own family to become multi, multi millionaires through preferential business deals. Even when they were desperately trying to control and cut down the internet access in Jordan whilst Rania was overseas at the same time was telling the world about how free Jordan is and how the internet is magic for Arab people and about free speech :lol: but too many people live outside now for them to control the environment and their lifestyles and attitudes are known to all except the most naive. Look at how much time they have spent out of the country in the last two years not even counting the personal trips that aren't reported and all while their people are suffering at home. It does not surprise me this criticism.

Moved 2 Monrovia: Queen Rania's Twitter Problem

Kumarian Press Blog: Philanthropic Glamour and the Uprisings in the Arab World

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you sou much for those informative link´s you've been posted.
I think this proverb applies perfectly to you (in a good way) " "I,ve told you so".

Thank you sou much for those informative link´s you've been posted.
I think this proverb applies perfectly to you (in a good way) " "I,ve told you so".

I don't hate the Hashemites but I do think they could have conducted themselves better in the last few years. Like many people, I got tired of listening to empty promises about reform and democracy and I really hope that this has made the King sit up and realize that the Jordanian people deserve real democracy, better human rights, less cronyism and corruption, less nepotism. He also needs to rein in the royal family's spending when so many people are struggling financially. It does not make people feel better to know that whilst they struggle to buy shoes for their kids that Queen Rania had a yacht charted for half a million dollars for her and her family for her birthday week and then a huge party at Wadi Rum that cost an exorbitant amount too. The royal family needs to put its house in order, look after its own people and Abdullah as supreme ruler of Jordan needs to allow constitutional change and democratic reform to take place.

Last edited:
Or paying for hundreds of wealthy foreign guests to jet in from around the world to a birthday party or have the number 40 in lights against the hills in Wadi Rum when lots of your people don't have electricity! :bang:

Preposterous!! Well I'm glad there IS criticism with no fear (as it should be) at last. Let's face it, there's no Saint Queen Rania, as there was never a Saint Princess Diana (sorry, the comparison is inevitable!) and will never be one of those. These people are part of a system that all of a sudden opens the doors to the jet set and high life, especially to those that were not born royal. We would be idiots to think that such women would dedicate their full time to the well being of the others instead of enjoying all the perks this life has to offer to them. Well people woke up, what would be more natural?? Good luck! :flowers:

I think someone here said that when people are afraid to criticize the male leader they say things about the wife instead, it amounts to the same thing and Jordanian law actually says it is illegal to criticize the king and anyone in the royal family but it seems that the events of Tunisia, Yemen and Egypt have made people bold and coupled with the usual response of Abdullah to just sack a PM and let him take the heat and appointment of a new and unpopular PM has made people see red and without the support of the tribal leaders Abdullah will fall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom