The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Discontent in Jordan NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
This is what I heard from every possible source or article I've read so far. It was a very bad and desperate move indeed. Perhaps the King thought that he could have the Bedouins on his side with this particular PM. And you're absolutely right, this isn't the right time for trips or luxurious vacations (like in August), certainly not!
Or paying for hundreds of wealthy foreign guests to jet in from around the world to a birthday party or have the number 40 in lights against the hills in Wadi Rum when lots of your people don't have electricity!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Nobility

This story contains the first real criticism of Rania I've seen in a Western publication in a long time.

Jordan Faces a Rising Tide of Unrest, but Few Expect a Revolt

"Last summer the queen turned 40 and threw herself a party in the hauntingly beautiful area of southern Jordan known as Wadi Rum. She invited 600 people, paying the way for many from abroad. The pink granite hills of Wadi Rum were electrically lighted with the number 40 — in a poor area where some people live without electricity. Water, a precious commodity there, was used by the truckload."

See full story at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/wo...ref=middleeast

A column by Thomas Friedman at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/op...6friedman.html

"I have not been to Jordan for a while, but my ears are ringing today with complaints about corruption, frustration with the king and queen, and disgust at the enormous gaps between rich and poor."

Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

LA OTRA CRONICA El Mundo 5 Febrero 2011 Periodicos españoles en Youkioske.com: Diarios de España

to tell you the truth she and her family were so criticized publicly by protesters ; they called her Rania Tarabulsi like the wife of Tunisia ex president
His soul was too great to be contained by the camera's lens ,yet his images radiate his love for his family , his faith , his pride on his country and people the world over who shared his commitment to peace and his joy in life . Queen Noor
Old 02-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi83 View Post
LA OTRA CRONICA El Mundo 5 Febrero 2011 Periodicos españoles en Youkioske.com: Diarios de España

to tell you the truth she and her family were so criticized publicly by protesters ; they called her Rania Tarabulsi like the wife of Tunisia ex president

It is no secret that her spending and business deals would not stand up to any public scrutiny or the way she has enriched her own family to become multi, multi millionaires through preferential business deals. Even when they were desperately trying to control and cut down the internet access in Jordan whilst Rania was overseas at the same time was telling the world about how free Jordan is and how the internet is magic for Arab people and about free speech but too many people live outside now for them to control the environment and their lifestyles and attitudes are known to all except the most naive. Look at how much time they have spent out of the country in the last two years not even counting the personal trips that aren't reported and all while their people are suffering at home. It does not surprise me this criticism.

Moved 2 Monrovia: Queen Rania's Twitter Problem

Kumarian Press Blog: Philanthropic Glamour and the Uprisings in the Arab World
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Courtier

Thank you sou much for those informative link´s you've been posted.
I think this proverb applies perfectly to you (in a good way) " "I,ve told you so".
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Courtier

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonieta View Post
Thank you sou much for those informative link´s you've been posted.
I think this proverb applies perfectly to you (in a good way) " "I,ve told you so".
I don't hate the Hashemites but I do think they could have conducted themselves better in the last few years. Like many people, I got tired of listening to empty promises about reform and democracy and I really hope that this has made the King sit up and realize that the Jordanian people deserve real democracy, better human rights, less cronyism and corruption, less nepotism. He also needs to rein in the royal family's spending when so many people are struggling financially. It does not make people feel better to know that whilst they struggle to buy shoes for their kids that Queen Rania had a yacht charted for half a million dollars for her and her family for her birthday week and then a huge party at Wadi Rum that cost an exorbitant amount too. The royal family needs to put its house in order, look after its own people and Abdullah as supreme ruler of Jordan needs to allow constitutional change and democratic reform to take place.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamah View Post
Or paying for hundreds of wealthy foreign guests to jet in from around the world to a birthday party or have the number 40 in lights against the hills in Wadi Rum when lots of your people don't have electricity!
Preposterous!! Well I'm glad there IS criticism with no fear (as it should be) at last. Let's face it, there's no Saint Queen Rania, as there was never a Saint Princess Diana (sorry, the comparison is inevitable!) and will never be one of those. These people are part of a system that all of a sudden opens the doors to the jet set and high life, especially to those that were not born royal. We would be idiots to think that such women would dedicate their full time to the well being of the others instead of enjoying all the perks this life has to offer to them. Well people woke up, what would be more natural?? Good luck!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Jordanian tribal figures criticize queen, demand reform
Jordanian tribal figures criticize queen, demand reform - CNN.com
Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02 View Post
Very interesting and thank you for sharing. AFAIK, it is against Jordanian law to criticize the monarch, but it appears that it does not extend to his spouse.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Courtier

I think someone here said that when people are afraid to criticize the male leader they say things about the wife instead, it amounts to the same thing and Jordanian law actually says it is illegal to criticize the king and anyone in the royal family but it seems that the events of Tunisia, Yemen and Egypt have made people bold and coupled with the usual response of Abdullah to just sack a PM and let him take the heat and appointment of a new and unpopular PM has made people see red and without the support of the tribal leaders Abdullah will fall.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Gentry

Ever heard of the avalanche effect, well it now reached Jordan and then probably Syria will follow. Scary stuff I'm telling u :-(
Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Courtier

It is only the same thing that happened after the fall of communism. Totalitarian regimes by their very nature do not last forever. History teaches us that.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02 View Post
I'm not that surprised Rania is being criticized. I always felt her jet-setting, lavish lifestyle while being Queen of a poor country would one day hurt her. Karma is what she could be experiencing.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamah View Post
I think someone here said that when people are afraid to criticize the male leader they say things about the wife instead, it amounts to the same thing and Jordanian law actually says it is illegal to criticize the king and anyone in the royal family but it seems that the events of Tunisia, Yemen and Egypt have made people bold and coupled with the usual response of Abdullah to just sack a PM and let him take the heat and appointment of a new and unpopular PM has made people see red and without the support of the tribal leaders Abdullah will fall.
really? its that serious?
i always that people were happy with them , how they are modern and stuff.
i mean... she has a twitter account!!
that alone speaks volumes.

maybe a situation in Jordan is that people feel ,its somewhat safe to criticize their rulers and demand changes, reforms,
whilst in other arab nations, maybe people arent that poor but maybe want more freedoms, but its incomprehensible , that anyone would dare to say anything.
They'd prolly be locked in other countries immediately.
Could something like this happen in UAE or KSA??
i wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD1 View Post
Ever heard of the avalanche effect, well it now reached Jordan and then probably Syria will follow. Scary stuff I'm telling u :-(
does anyone know if this can happen in KSA or UAE, are people allowed to demonstrate there? or not?
i really dont know?
baš se pitam, hehe
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Nobility

I'm a little suspicious of the tribal criticism of Rania in the CNN story I've linked to below. Though I think the comments about her spending habits are fair, it is common in Jordan for opponents to attack a reigning king through his queen. This happened when King Hussein was alive as well. So I suspect another agenda is at work beneath the surface here. I'm also unconvinced by the claim she's interfered in politics. Do they mean her social projects, the interviews she does about the Middle East or actual interventions in official politics (deciding on who is appointed prime minister for example)?

excerpt:
"The statement from 36 members of the country's major tribes attacked what they called the interference of Queen Rania in running the country. The queen, "her sycophants and the power centers that surround her" are dividing Jordanians and "stealing from the country and the people," the letter states."

Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukam View Post
maybe a situation in Jordan is that people feel ,its somewhat safe to criticize their rulers and demand changes, reforms,
whilst in other arab nations, maybe people arent that poor but maybe want more freedoms, but its incomprehensible , that anyone would dare to say anything.
They'd prolly be locked in other countries immediately.
It's interesting you should mention that. I was reading one of the blogs on this issue and the Jordanian members got pretty defensive because it was the non-Jordanians who had more of a bee in their bonnet about the Hashemites. One lady pretty much mentioned all the arbitrary measures that exist elsewhere in the ME but not so much Jordan.

The current situation is quite an expedient to conservatives, who've always resented QR's initiatives, they've been the major stumbling blocks to any significant action against honour crimes etc. and let's not forget the anti-Palestinian element in Jordan, many of which have never liked her background (something that's being mentioned all over the press). There's a lot more here than meets the eye.

As for the Gulf nations, that's a whole different topic. I asked my ME prof. the same question last week. Suffice it to say, their populations apparently haven't the same longing for democracy (at least they don't seem to be in such a hurry) nor is their rulers' ultra-extravagant lifestyles as abhorrent because they don't have the economic problems rampant elsewhere in the ME. Makes you wonder if money really does buy happiness doesn't it?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

JORDAN: Tribesmen slam Queen Rania, warn of revolt
Three dozen members of powerful Jordanian tribes have lashed out at the country's glamorous Queen Rania and denounced what they called a "crisis of authority," calling for political change and justice against those involved in corruption in the Arab kingdom more
Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Courtier

For me, this isn't about personalities involved but the bigger picture of some real reform within the system that will actually benefit all Jordanians. However, I do not accept that King Abdullah is some helpless person who has had to go along with whatever the tribes or his parliament have said. The reality is he has HAD to keep the tribes sweet in order to stay in power as without them, he has no backing and no power so if he has turned his back on certain issues, it has been because of self interest.

Those of us of Jordanian blood don't want an overthrow but reforms. The spotlight is on the Middle East and in this mood, it is only right that the King is made aware of how people feel. For a long time he has been inaccessible to the people and he and his wife have been too busy following their own agendas elsewhere. In the meantime the country has suffered greatly.

You can't compare Levantine Arabs with Gulf Arabs as we are totally different in almost all things except language and even then we differ! It is true that UAE and other rulers have relatively small native populations and enough oil money to ensure good health care, reasonable wealth and good education for their own citizens and they are also intensely tribal which may explain why the Gulf nations keep quiet although even there, there are growing numbers of people who want democracy.

Many of Abdullah's blogosphere supporters are in fact people who have an interest of some description and the internet in Jordan is heavily monitored by the security forces and active campaigns are waged by employees of certain state departments. Also many are wealthy Abdouni's who actually have the attitude that they don't care as long as they are OK but for the majority of Jordanians who ARE poor, unemployed, can't afford decent healthcare etc and are denied a voice whether they are East Bankers or West Bankers somebody needs to change things. It is a measure of a nation of how it's poorest citizens are living and they are living VERY poorly indeed despite the photocalls arranged by the palace.

King Abdullah has been promising reform and many other thing ever since he got onto the throne, he needs to listen to what is being said because he may be forced off the throne if he does not. Many Jordanians do not want to overthrow the royal family but just have them put their house in order and deliver on key reforms and democracy. We are not so stupid that we want to exchange one dictator for another like they did in Iran and Iraq better to have the devil you know.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Courtier

A very interesting blog has been (for years) for me "The Black Iris of Jordan" (to name here one that uses mostly English as language)
Of course, the reforms the country needs is a major subject there at the moment.

The Black Iris of Jordan
Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Not only in Jordan or Morocco we see a lot of frustration about royal families.
Also all over Europe we can see a lot of frustration and anger about the jet set lifestyle of the Royals
and the gap between them and people loosing their job, suffering the raising costs of life.
A lot of people think it is unfair that a small group of rich people has all the privileges that the vast majority does not have.
In Europe we have democracy (at least we think we have it) but the difference between rich and poor (or non privileged) is growing now.
If this will continue I think that monarchy will be history in about ten or twenty years