UN Climate Change Conference (COP15) in Copenhagen: December 7-18, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't think the length of her reign has much to do with it. It may though.

I just percieve the continental royals to make more of an effort with their isle relations. It's no secret that the British think of themselves as British, and begrudgingly european if they must (imperialistic primacy).

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and the Earl and Countess of Wessex do a fine job I'm sure, but it wouldn't hurt for two of the top four senior royals to attend time to time, either. I get the feeling that an elitist partition can exist even within this distinguished faction.

If the length of a reign had anything to do with it, then where was the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh or Prince of Wales when King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand celebrated his diamond Jubilee in 2006? Instead, the Duke of York represented his mother.

Rule Britannia . . .

I agree with Madame Royale on this. But, I do feel that the length of the reign has something to do with it. At least, from the point of view of the the continental royals. They want to give respect to the 83 year old woman who has reigned for the last 57 years, far longer than any of her European counterparts. On the other hand, the British cousins see the length of the reign as a sign of their superiority.

I think respect should be given on both sides. If QEII is a queen, then so are Margrethe, Sofia, Beatrix etc., and if continental royals are respecting the Queen and the BRF by attending their major events either by themselves or by sending their heirs. Then, the Queen should also respect them, either by attending the event herself, sending her spouse or her heir. I understand QEII and PoE might not be able to attend events outside of their country due to their age, King Bhumibol doesn't, then they should definitely send their heir Prince Charles in their stead to all "major" events, if not all of them.

I understand QEII and PoE might not be able to attend events outside of their country due to their age

I confess I don't really. The Queen recently undertook a state visit to Trinidad & Tobago and the Kings Jubilee was in 2006. It would have been nice if the Queen, or even the Duke of Edinburgh had attended. If not they, then Prince Charles. Afterall, we need only remember he was content to postpone his own wedding to attend the papal funeral of 2005, so should have there been any conflictions then I'm sure there would have been a way around them.

Sending the Duke of York (respectively) was, imo, rather telling of Britains overall uninterest in the celebration. Sure his the sovereigns son, but he's no consort or heir. That it was a diamond jubilee, and considering there had only ever been two previous diamond jubilee's (Queen Victoria in 1897 and Emperor Hirohito in 1986), I think the presence of either the monarch, their consort or the heir would have been the appropriate expression of congratulations.

All that said...

I think the Prince of Wales spoke very well at the summit and he appears to me to have a real enthusiasm about him. A man of enviornmental and social awareness, who genuinely wants to help better the greater divides between varying cultures and religions, and the sustainability of this great melting pot (literallly) we all call home.

I think his a good man, with a good heart and who has the will to help where and if he can.

He takes part in Copenhagen conference as the head of the Royal Advisory Committee on the Energy Sector.

In short, the following Royals will be attending:
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, and Princess Benedikte of Denmark, Prince Hamzah of Jordan, Prince Albert of Monaco, Prince Mustapha Zahir of Afghanistan.

=================================

HM the Queen's dinner on the occasion of the UN's Climate Change Conference

HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort are hosting a dinner at Christiansborg Palace on the occasion of the United Nation's Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, COP 15, at 8.30 pm. From the Royal Family TRH The Crown Prince and The Crown Princess, TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and HRH Princess Benedikte are also attending.

Schedule
7.00-7.45 pm.
Danish ministers and the Royal Family arrive at the Queens Gate.

7.50-8.30 pm.
Heads of State and Government, vicepresidents and ministers arrive at the Kings gate and the Queens Gate.

8.15 pm.
The guests will greet HM the Queen, HRH the Prince Consort, TRH the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess, TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and HRH Princess Benedikte in the Velvet Room.

8.45 pm.
HM the Queen gives a short speech of welcome.
Dinner start.

10. pm.
The dinner ends.

10. pm.
Coffee and tea is served in the adjoining rooms.

Menu
Brandade with Scallops
Sauce Verte

Ballotine of Turkey
Puré of Peas
Fried Potatoes
Tarragon Sauce

Date Cake
with Caramel Sauce

Vine
La Cigaralle du Prince 2005

Chateau du Cayx 1999

Madere
Hors d’Age

Music
- The Danish Royal Life Guards Bands

G. Rossini:
Ouverture from "The Italian women in Algeria"

H.C. Lumbye:
Auroral Waltz

C. Nielsen:
Dance scene andt Folie d’Espagne from"Maskerade"

H. Madsen:
Christiansborg March

J.v Heusen:
Here’s that rainy Day

G. Harrison:
Here comes the Sun

H.C. Lumbye:
Champagne Galop

Copenhagen Royal Chapel Choir:
Conductor: Ebbe Munk

Text: B.S. Ingemann/Music: Niels laCour
Snow

Text: John Rutter/ Music: Niels laCour
DECK THE HALL
Welsh traditional carol

Guestlist

- The guestlist may change.

HM The Queen and HRH the Prince Consort
TRH the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess
TRH Prince Joachim and Princess Marie
HRH Princess Benedikte

AFGHANISTAN
H.H. Prince Mustapha Zahir

ALBANIA
H.E. Prime Minister Sali Ramë Berisha

ALGERIA
H.E. President Abdelaziz Bouteflika

ARGENTINA
H.E. Minister for Foreign Affairs Jorge Taiana

AUSTRALIA
H.E. Prime Minister Kevin Rudd

AUSTRIA
H.E. Prime Minister Werner Faymann

BAHAMAS
H.E. Prime Minister Hubert Alexander Ingraham

BANGLADESH
H.E. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina

BARBADOS
H.E. MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS Maxine McClean

BELGIUM
H.E. Prime Minister Yves Leterme

BELIZE
H.E. Prime Minister Dean Barrow
Ms. Kimi Simplis Barrow

BOTSWANA
H.E. Vice President Lt. Gen. Mompati S. Merafhe

BRAZIL
H.E. President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva
Ms. Marisa Letícia

BULGARIA
H.E. Prime Minister Boyko Borisov

BURKINA FASO
H.E. President Blaise Compaoré

BURUNDI
H.E. Vice President Yves Sahinguvu

CAMBODIA
H.E. Minister for Foreign Affairs Hor Namhong

CAMEROON
H.E. President Paul Biya
Ms. Chantal Biya

CANADA
H.E. Prime Minister Stephen Harper

CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
H.E. President François Bozizé

CHINA
H.E. Prime Minister Wen Jiabao

COLOMBIA
H.E. President Álvaro Uribe Vélez

COMOROS
H.E. President Ahmed Abdallah Sambi

CONGO BRAZZAVILLE
H.E. President Denis Sassou Nguesso

COOK ISLANDS
H.E. Prime Minister Jim Marurai

CÔTE D'IVOIRE
H.E. Minister of Foreign Affairs Youssouf Bakayoko

CROATIA
H.E. President Stjepan Mesić

CUBA
H.E. Vice President Esteban Lazo Hernandez

CYPRUS
H.E. President Demetris Christofias

DJIBOUTI
H.E. Prime Minister Dileita Mohammed Dileita

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
H.E. Vice President Rafael Alburquerque

EGYPT
H.E. Minister for Foreign Affairs Ahmed Abou Elgheit

ESTONIA
H.E. Prime Minister Andrus Ansip

ETHIOPIA
H.E. Prime Minister Meles Zenawi

EQUATORIAL GUINEA
H.E. Prime Minister Ignacio Milam

FINLAND
H.E. President Tarja Halonen

FINLAND
H.E. Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen

FRANCE
H.E. President Nicolas Sarkozy

FAROES
Head of the Government of the Faroes Kaj Leo Johannesen

GABON
H.E. President Ali Bongo Ondimba

GAMBIA
H.E. Vice President Dr. Isatou Njie-Saidy

GEORGIA
H.E. President Mikheil Saakashvili

GERMANY
H.E. Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel

GHANA
H.E. President John Atta Mills

GREECE
H.E. Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou
Ms. Ada-Chaido Papandreou

GRENADA
H.E. Prime Minister Tillman Thomas

GREENLAND
The Premier of Greenland Kuupik Kleist

GUYANA
H.E. President Bharrat Jagdeo

HUNGARY
H.E. Prime Minister Gordon Bajnai

ICELAND
H.E. Prime Minister Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir

IRELAND
H.E. Prime Minister Brian Cowen TD

ISRAEL
H.E. President Shimon Peres

JAPAN
H.E. Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama
Ms. Miyuki Hatoyama

JORDAN
H.R.H Prince Hamzah Bin Al Hussein

KENYA
H.E. President Mwai Kibaki

KUWAIT
H.E. Prime Minister Sheikh Nasser Mohamed Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah

LATVIA
H.E. Prime Minister Valdis Dombrowskis

LEBANON
H.E. Prime Minister Saad Hariri

LESOTHO
H.E. Prime Minister Pakalitha Bethuel Mosisili
Ms. Mathato Mosisili

LIBERIA
H.E. Vice President Joseph Nyuma Boakai

LUXEMBOURG
H.E. Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker

FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC of MACEDONIA
H.E. President Gjorge Ivanov

MALAYSIA
H.E. Prime Minister Dato’ Seri Mohd. Najib bin Tun Haji Abdul Razak
Ms. Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor

MALDIVES
H.E. President Mohamed Nasheed

MALI
H.E. President Amadou Toumani Touré

MALTA
H.E. Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi

MAURITANIA
H.E. President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz

MAURITIUS
H.E. Prime Minister Dr. Navinchandra Ramgoolam

MEXICO
H.E. President Felipe Calderón Hinojosa

MONACO
H.R.H Prince Albert II

MONGOLIA
H.E. President Tsakhia Elbegdorj

MONTENEGRO
H.E. Prime Minister Milo Dukanović

MOROCCO
H.E. Prime Minister Abbas El Fassi Fihri

MYANMAR
H.E. Minster of Foreign Affairs Nyan Win

NAMIBIA
H.E. Prime Minister Nahas Angula

NAURU
H.E. President Marcus Stephen

NEPAL
H.E. Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal
Mgayatri Nepal

NETHERLANDS
H.E. Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende

NEW ZEALAND
H.E. Prime Minister John Key

NICARAGUA
H.E. Minster of Foreign Affairs Samuel Santos Lopez

NIGERIA
H.E. Minster of Foreign Affairs Chief Ojo Maduekwe

NORWAY
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg

PAKISTAN
H.E. Minster of Foreign Affairs Makhdoom Shah Maomood Qureshi

PALAU
H.E. President Johnson Toribiong
Ms. Valerie Andres Toribiong

PAPUA NEW GUINEA
H.E. Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare

PHILIPPINES
H.E. President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
Mr. Jose Miguel Arroyo

POLAND
H.E. Prime Minister Donald Tusk

PORTUGAL
H.E. Prime Minister José Sócrates

ROMANIA
H.E. President Traian Băsescu

RUSLAND
H.E. 1. Vice Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov

SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS
H.E. Prime Minister Denzil Douglas

SAINT LUCIA
H.E. Prime Minister Stephenson King

SAMOA
H.E. Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi

SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
H.E. Prime Minister Joaquim Rafael Branco

SENEGAL
H.E. President Abdoulaye Wade

SERBIA
H.E. President Boris Tadić

SINGAPORE
H.E. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong

SOUTH AFRICA
H.E. President Jacob Zuma

SURINAME
H.E. President Runaldo Ronald Venetiaan

SWAZILAND
H.E. Prime Minister Dr. Barnabas Sibusisu Dlamini

SWEDEN
H.E. Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt

UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
H.E. Vice President Dr. Ali Mohamed Shein
Ms. Mwanamwema Shein

THAILAND
H.E. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva
Dr. Pimpen Vejjajiva

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
H.E. Prime Minister Patrick Manning

TURKEY
H.E. President Abdullah Gül

TUVALU
H.E. Prime Minister Apisai Ielemia

UKRAINE
H.E. Minister of Foreign Affairs Petro Poroshenko

UNITED KINGDOM
H.E. Prime Minister Hon Gordon Brown

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
H.E. Foreign Secretary Hillary Clinton

VANUATU
H.E. Prime Minister Edward Natapei
Ms. Leipaki Natapei

VENEZUELA
H.E. President Hugo Chávez Frías

VIET NAM
H.E. Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung

ZIMBABWE
H.E. President Robert Mugabe
Ms. Grace Mugabe

UN
H.E. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
Ms. Ban Soon-teak
UNFCCC
Executive Secretary Yvo de Boer
EUROPEAN COMMISSION
H.E. President José Manuel Barrosso
EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
H.E. President Prof. Jerzy Buzek

DENMARK
H.E. Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen
Ms. Solrún Løkke Rasmussen
H.E. president of the Danish Parlament Thor Petersen
H.E. Minister for Economic and Business Affairs Lene Espersen
H.E. Minister for Foreign Affairs Per Stig Møller
H.E. Minister for Finance Claus Hjort Frederiksen
H.E. Minister for Development Cooperation Ulla Tørnæs
Permanent Secretary of State, Prime Mnisters office Karsten Dybvad
Permanent Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs Claus Grube

Ambassador Niels Dyrlund
Head of Protocol, ambassador Jette Nordam

Lord Chamberlain, ambassador Ove Ullerup
The Private Secretary to H.M. the Queen, Chamberlain Henning Fode
Master of Ceremonies, Chamberlain, Lieutenant-Colonel Christian Eugen-Olsen
The Chief of HRH the Prince Consort’s Secretariat, Chamberlain, colonel Mogens Christensen
Chief of the Court of TRH The Crown Prince an Crown Princess of Denmark, Chamberlain Per Thornit

Source: kongehuset.dk

Last edited:
Charles wasn't invited to the dinner so i don't see the problem.
Were Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh invited to King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand celebrated his diamond Jubilee in 2006?

They have the perogative not to attend events.

Thank you very much Princess Robijn for that information. Should be a wonderful night. :flowers:

I can't wait for tonight! Hope ladies will be gorgeous! Is it a dinner with long dresses or cocktail dresses???

Why should Prince Charles stay for the dinner , all the royal houses are represented by their Prime Minister or Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Anyway, he was received by Queen Margrethe at Amelienborg castle. So does the Court Circular state.

The British monarchs' 'tradition' of not attending, too many Continental events started with king George V. Of course there was the famous wedding of the Kaiser's daughter in 1913, but after that I dont think that he participated at any royal wedding, funeral or other events anymore. Usually the dukes of York, Kent, Connaught, or Princess Alice was sent instead. The 'tradition' followed during the reign of George VI and QEII, too.

looked great , thank you for the pic Huda

Jordan Prince Hamzah bin al Hussein delivers his speech during the plenary session at the Bella Center in Copenhagen on December 17
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

looks cute in the red coffieh , really love when wear it abroad

Last edited by a moderator:
The gala dinner for Head of states attending COP15, is taking palce right now. You can see it live here
Live player/ DR1

If the link doesn't work, try this one:
http://wwitv.com/portal.htm?http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b4075.htm
Or this one
http://www.tvchannelsfree.com/watch/5968/DR1-Denmark.html

Firts Photos:
http://i2-images.tv2.dk/s/23/15967023-ffad32d02128bc123bb07ca6de749798.jpeg

Article and photo:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&sl=da&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bt.dk%2Froyale%2Fdronningen-byder-paa-kalkun-og-prinsens-vin

So some delegations will leave the dinner before it finised, as the conference ends tomorrow and Negotiations are still taking place in order to have an agreement.

Last edited:
The results are that bad that President Sarkozy asked to continue after the royal dinner.. I don't think the guest will appreciate the Caix's wine.

Tow Greenpeace activists come inside Crisntiansborg and showed two banners with the text 'Politicians talk, leaders act' to the cameras

Google Traductor

Bit unfair leaving the dinner early but I can understand why.
Wonderful first pictures. :flowers:

Last edited:
And so she shouldn't. :) It's her dinner she should decide who she wants to sit next to. :flowers:

And so she shouldn't. :) It's her dinner she should decide who she wants to sit next to. :flowers:

Protocol does decide in these cases.That creature from Rhodesia is the Head of State longest in office present at the State Banquet,so,
poor Margrethe has no choice.But don't worry,she will find it challenging and maybe she tells him a thing or two between the teeth very diplomatically:p

That creepy crawly is unfit to rule let alone unfit to be taken seriously.
That is,unless he shows up,then he is to be treated as a head of state of a befriended nation.Sick,as is the climate change hype.
Why?It will change,like it does every 10 thousand something years,it always does and will again.It's the cause of nature.Not in our
lifetime tho.Don't worry.

I just learned the banquet was disturbed by Greenpeace,a man and a woman had entered Christiansborg Palace,dressed to the
occasion,but unfolded a protest yelling whatever it is they yell and where removed from the Palace.

Last edited:
Were Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh invited to King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand celebrated his diamond Jubilee in 2006?

Well, the invitation wouldn't have been sent to the Duke of York...:ermm:

However, as proxy, he attended.

As for the State Banquet. . .

It too sounded as though it were a bit of a shambles which is unfortunate for the court which clearly tried to be a polite host.

Am so very glade that there was no 'glitter', especially not after reading what I've read. The royal ladies looked lovely.

Tow Greenpeace activists come inside Crisntiansborg and showed two banners with the text 'Politicians talk, leaders act' to the cameras

Google Traductor

I just learned the banquet was disturbed by Greenpeace,a man and a woman had entered Christiansborg Palace,dressed to the
occasion,but unfolded a protest yelling whatever it is they yell and where removed from the Palace.

Yes it was, Paty posted an article earlier about it. :)

Well, the invitation wouldn't have been sent to the Duke of York...:ermm:

However, as proxy, he attended.

Why not? Do they not recieve personal invitations? Do they go straight to QEII? If so i think thats very silly.

Oh! wow a day for President Calderon, captured a drug leader and got to sit next to QM!

Today, is the finnal day of the conference. Obama already arrived in Copenhagen and he and others liders will speak on global issues at the session. for those interesting to watch here is the live webcast of the conference.
UNFCCC Webcast: Live

Oh! wow a day for President Calderon, captured a drug leader and got to sit next to QM!

Yes, and also a couples of days ago he attended the special tv program "The Greatest Debate on Earth". The show was presented by BBC journalist Stephen Sackur and took place at the DR Concert Hall in Copenhagen.
The liders invited were, President Calderon, Prime Minister of Sweden (Currently Sweden is the Presidency of the EU), Prime Minister of Australia, President of Maldives, and the Minister of enviroment of South Africa.

You can watch the whole debate here. (In English) Very interesting debate btw.
http://www.dr.dk/NETTV/Klima%2009/2009/12/17/20091217223149

Info about it:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...es-climate-summit-in-copenhagen-79302977.html

Last edited:
Why not? Do they not recieve personal invitations? Do they go straight to QEII? If so i think thats very silly.

Quite unlikely. I think it would be negligent to believe the Duke of York was invited over his mother, or even his elder brother for that matter. It's more likely that the Queen asked Andrew to go in her name as her official representative to the Thai court for the celebration. Just as she has done with her cousins and children all her reign. Most recently the Princess Royal's undertaking to Melbourne after the disasterous 'Black Saturday' bushfires in February of this year. She too was asked by her mother to attend in her place.

There appears to be no real familiarity between Andrew and the TRF which could suggest he was the intended recipient of the invitation.

As you youserself say, it is HM prerogative to not attend, and to have no one close to the throne represent her (I mean either her husband or children) would have been quite the snub.

(note: perhaps a mod could move this particular exchange to a more appropriate thread?)

Well, it was Prime Minister, Gordon Brown who attend the dinner in representation of the British Goverment. It would had been extrange to me that Prince Andrew attend instead of the Prime Miniter.

Well, it was Prime Minister, Gordon Brown who attend the dinner in representation of the British Goverment. It would had been extrange to me that Prince Andrew attend instead of the Prime Miniter.

After all, COP15 is a political gathering of Heads of Government. The Heads of Government would have been the ones invited to the gala dinner as represenatives of thier nations and Heads of State.

Indeed.And besides,this thread is not about our beloved Lilybet the Exemplary Most Loved Octaginarian alive,let alone on her advanced age nor Reign nor children.It is about climate change "caused by",ao,her hairspray.And yours...:p

And Andrew is abroad btw,official business of some sort,I'm sure one of the experts here knoews more in the british thread.Just for the record.:)

So,what a pity.It became a Floppenhagen after all.Sad.:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom