Thomas Kluge's Painting of the Danish Royal Family (2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im sorry but this is a seriously awful portrait. Theres so much wrong with it I wouldnt kow where to begin. The worse is the flesh tones they are really awful looking at the closeup of Freds hand it looks bruised. The rest of them look muddy and weathered whereas in reality most of them have fair complexions except for Marie. The other thing which I cant get past is I thought to myself that Christian didnt look right something abut his features then I saw the Artists and its obvious that he has fallen for the worst mistake that an Artist has to avoid and that is painting themselves into the portrait. Christians features are more like the Artist than his own others in the family also have had the same thing happen but not as obviously as Christian in the portrait. Do not like this painting at all I expect it will see its days out stored away in the basement. :whistling:

I saw the Artists and its obvious that he has fallen for the worst mistake that an Artist has to avoid and that is painting themselves into the portrait.

Isn't that a time-honoured tradition?

I expect it will see its days out stored away in the basement.

Not at all; according to sources this belated 70 birthday present for the queen will eventually be on the wall in the yellow saloon at Fredensborg Castle.

And it would be a crying shame to hide the painting; I'm so looking forward to seeing it in real life as seeing Kluge's portraits 'in the flesh' is quite an experience IMO. His traditional use of dark/black colours for example is quite different from seeing it in photos.

I like it more the more I look at the pictures of it; and I think it has all the right ingredients for being considered a great piece of art. It divides people's opinions - which is always good in terms of art I think as it gives room for discussions, speculations, exchange of views and renewed perusing of the pictures of the painting.

The real tragedy would have been if the majority had applauded it as a direct continuation of Tuxen's famous painting - which is masterly done in it's own right. Or if people had just found it 'cosy' and approachable.
This is dark, dangerous and devilishly well thought out in my amateur opinion.

Last edited:
The painting is too dark for me.

I'm not a major fan of Kluge and I think that this new portrait is absolutely horrendous. However, I quite like the other two portraits he has painted of QMII. This one is incredibly detailed and beautiful and this one is very majestic.

I expect it will see its days out stored away in the basement. :whistling:

As UserDane says, it wont. There are several works by Kluge exhibited on The Museum of National History on Frederiksborg Castle (some better than others), he's a quite popular artist, and it seems like the RF - or QMII at least - is a fan of him as well. It would also be exceptionally rude to just store it away considering that it's a birthday gift for QMII.

Very strange painting. Technically good, and I suppose Christian is the focus because he is the future. But first thing I thought of when I saw him was he's Damien from "The Omen" and he's going to kill them all. :eek:

lol I thought the same thing!

Very strange painting. Technically good, and I suppose Christian is the focus because he is the future. But first thing I thought of when I saw him was he's Damien from "The Omen" and he's going to kill them all. :eek:

THAT is exactly who/what I was trying to bring to mind ... thank you! I don't know about the killing part, however this did remind me "Damien".:ermm:

lol I thought the same thing!
You both have watched too many movies:lol::lol: The new portrait is an artistic interpretation; perhaps there will be an interview asking questions about provenance but when I first saw this work, I did not think of Charles Addams but rather Ruisdael and his ruined castles in the background:flowers: This work is interesting and will, I hope, be well discussed in the Danish media. I look forward to reading the reviews:whistling:

I must say the only thing I like about the painting it is the way he can achieve so much quality in the technique and each person look like in a photo too realistic. I think he achieve that very well. I agree that it is out of a halloween painting too dark, it is a lot of different lights that do not much the scene. not interaction in between them looks like a very much dysfunctional family and poor Mary she looks so much in pain! and Poor Christian I wonder what he thinks of himself, they put on him so much responsibility already1 let's the boy to be kid while he can!

I hope they don't hang that thing in Vincent and Josie's room. Poor darlings will have nightmares.

I think that this is hands down the worse portrait I've ever seen. I can only hope that QM II asks for a refund!

Have you seen some of Margrethe's art? She might love it.

:eek:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire
For God's sake, what is this? The Danish version of "The Addams Family"?

Thank you for a loud chuckle. This is the worst painting that I have ever seen, my goodness what are they thinking? Who is doing what to approve this? It's worst then the Addams Family in every way.

Hideous.

God bless 'em for having the guts to hang this ANYPLACE.

And poor Isabella?

Wow.

She looks like some possessed demon-doll (Chucky's long lost sister, maybe?) that's had a hit of low-rent street crack, or something.

I mean, Christian is bad enough . . .

But, he CERTAINLY did Isabella no favors, either.

Oh, boy.

What is UP with these royal portrait painters?

First, KATE . . .

NOW, the ENTIRE DRF?

Wow.

Last edited:
:previous: Oh, yes, poor Isabella. I hadn't looked closely at her, but her depiction reminds me of Linda Blair in "The Exorcist".

This is very creepy... agree totally with you Roslyn very Exorist I am just amazed that it was approved it is so ... there are actually no words.. sorry.

and did this guy got pay for it?? how much? 4 years in the work! he got good money I guess1

and did this guy got pay for it?? how much? 4 years in the work! he got good money I guess1

The painting is 2.20 by 2.20 meters and it's commisioned on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the Glücksborg line getting on the throne. An anonymous wealthy person has paid. (My personal guess is Fritz Schur).

what an odd painting!
at least this wasn't released near halloween - i would have thought it was indeed the modern version of the adams family new series conmemorating the occasion. what kind of portrait is this? who would approve of such a thing reaching any public domain? i'm shocked. this is truly awful.

Money can't buy taste is apt. But I think at least one of the family must have objected to this Danish Gothic mess but got over ruled by Marge.

:previous: Who is Marge?

If you are referring to QMII she gave the artist free hands, according to what Kluge himself has told.

:previous: Yeah, okay.

Well, I can imagine that the DRF are just as divided as everybody else.

The Regent Couple themselves are pretty formidable in regards to their knowledge of art and Frederik himself is very interested in modern art. Don't know about the rest.

The public here in DK are certainly divided! Going from hating it, finding it hideous, spooky and so on.
To loving it, finding it fascinating and eager to see it in real life at Amalienborg.
The reviews from art critics in DK appear to be fairly positive.

Anyway, as long as it doen's depict my familt and don't hang on my wall I find it pretty interesting too and might actually go see it, if I happen to drop by Copenhagen in the next few months.

Thanks Polyesco.

Here is a highres pic of the painting: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/970/6/6970020-hovedbilledet.jpg

And a BT article about the symbols in the painting: Se det nye kongelige maleri: Kan du spotte de skjulte symboler? - Royale | www.bt.dk

A gallery of the painting being unveiled: Se billederne: Her afslører de det royale familieportræt | www.bt.dk

The painting is 2.20 by 2.20 meters and it's commisioned on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the Glücksborg line getting on the throne. An anonymous wealthy person has paid. (My personal guess is Fritz Schur).

Se alle detaljerne: Det første royale familieportræt i over 100 år | www.bt.dk M&F and children standing to the left of the painting with the ruins in the background symbolize that they are the urban part of the family.

Se alle detaljerne: Det første royale familieportræt i over 100 år | www.bt.dk Joachim and our Marie standing to the right symbolize that they are the rural part of the family.

Se alle detaljerne: Det første royale familieportræt i over 100 år | www.bt.dk
Christian has ben placed to the front because he is tasked with continuing the dynasty.

Only those who is a monarch or who are destined to become a monarch have eye contact with the viewer.

The LEGO tower being build symbolize that the family was broken up and rebuild again.

Marie looking down at Athena in a "madonna-like way" is simply to have some action in the background, because the main characters are Christian, QMII and Frederik.

Mary's tender, motherly look at Vincent symbolize her being the future queen.

According to a tradition Kluge has put himself and his wife in the picture, pretty easy to spot.

Not sure what I think about it yet, there is plenty to look at.

That is potentially the worst picture I have ever seen, ever. Worse than the Duchess of Cambridge portrait. Christian looks possessed. The whole family look like they're made of wax and are frozen. There is no personality in the picture, there is no happiness.

Christian looks like the boy from "The 6th sense" in that painting. Can't say I am a fan of this new portrait. It has a rather sinister atmosphere.

This is the first I have seen this picture, wow is it creepy!! It looks like the Adams family portrait, I can't believe any of them approved this. Christian looks like Damien, the child from those demon movies. Like I said before, WOW CREEPY!!!

Horrible, horrible portrait. Looks like the Adams family or something. Little Christian seems to want to eat our soul...
I have to agree with you.

On a different note, I wonder what technique/style Mr.Kluge employed to make the Danish royal family look unnatural.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom