The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Binz.

In one of the pics in the link we can see the "artwork" by one of Kluge's children in the lower right corner of the canvas.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wow! That high res. pic is amazing! Thanks so much, Binz. Seeing it in so much detail makes a big difference. I'd love to see the painting.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The background reminds me of Thomas Cole's 'Desolation' in the set of the paintings of 'The
Course of Empire'. It is rather dark, and esp. Christian and Isabella look as if they belong into another world. It may have artistic value, but it is all rather dark, gloomy and quite frankly creepy. But I find the work far more interesting than most recent paintings of royals, and certainly preferable over this one, which I find rather kitch: http://www.royalty-postcards.com/ima...den-(517).html
Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

In my humble opinion, it is the dark background that spoilt my impression of this artwork. Perhaps a just usual room in a royal residence would have changed perceptions of the portrait.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Having looked at the painting again, to me the almost apprehensive look on Bella's face towards her brother leave a feeling of: Well, I'm next to shoulder the burden if anything should happen to Christian... let's hope nothing does!

Can't say of course if that was Kluge's intention.

Christian's posture reminds me a bit of the cartoon character Charlie Brown, going: "good greif"!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

The high res image is worth a look. Kluge's detail is exceptional. Every face is beautiful, when you view it closely. The detail in the Queen's face/hair is breathtaking and her expression is gorgeous.
This was a commissioned portrait - so the family knew what it was going to get (dark and psychological theme) when it hired him. We may not all like it - but there is a reason he was hired.
I adore the Lego blocks. They make me chuckle each time I see the painting.
This is just my opinion, but it's more appropriate to say "I don't like it," than to say "It's terrible." The latter judges art while the former shares a POV.
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Danish royal family look more like the Addams family in creepy official portrait | Mail Online
Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Thank you, Binz, for the links and references - they are much appreciated. Truly, the more I see of this work in detail the more I admire it.

I find myself regretting that I know so relatively little about Denmark's history (before Mary's arrival, I only knew about Denmark's great influence on and in the United Kingdom, the true elegance of Danish design and a few great Danes - Bering, Bohr, Kierkegaard, Hans Christian Anderson, etc) and thus can only try and guess what some of the symbols in the painting represent (slabs from the foundations and steps of the ruin scattered on the ground; the obelisks, all askew; the background figures - not those of the artist and his wife; the cavalry officer(?), etc.

It was interesting, too, to see his original sketch and to realise that Kluge had to change it to accommodate the twins' arrival and that of the new little princess. That he didn't alter the ages of the older children from the time when he first painted them is fair enough in my view: in a project which took some years to accomplish, he'd be forever altering it as children grow and change so rapidly. And the faces of the subjects, in close-up, are beautifully executed. The Queen, especially, is wonderfully captured: in it, I can see much of what I admire about her - her strong sense of individuality (tall and elegant, she wears what she likes with insouciance and pursues her interests and intellectual pre-occupations as duties permit); her warmth and approachability as a woman, not 'merely' a Queen.....everything which I imagine is character-driven about her is here in this portrait. Such a clever artist!

AdmirerUS is absolutely right, too, when he/she points out the big difference between saying 'I don't like it' and 'it's terrible'. Everyone's entitled to an opinion whether they're suitably qualified to judge or not.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You would not be the only one thinking Halloween is back when looking at this creepy gathering of demon-children, a possessed little girl and adults with vacant stares.
However, this is not a an Addams holiday snap, but the official portrait of three generations of the Danish royal family.
The painting of Queen Margrethe II, her two sons and their families has been accused of bearing a closer resemblance to a horror film poster than a royal portrait.
Read more: Danish royal family look more like the Addams family in creepy official portrait | Mail Online
Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

BB is packed with DRF stuff this week, so it'll take a couple of days to go through it, but let's start with the painting.

BB has compiled a lot of trivia partly from the artist and partly from the book about the painting.

When Kluge started the painting, there were eleven members of the DRF to be included. Then all of a sudden there were fourteen.
And this is the initial draft of the painting, before Kluge had to modify it to accomodate Vincent, Josephine and Athena. https://app.box.com/s/n7mkwhzvvoqzqeplvjck

Even though his style is very realistic the DRF were never meant to be depicted as they look in real life, but rather as Kluge percieved them. "And they have allowed me to get close".

Christian is standing next to a figure, which symbolise Gorm the Old, the first official king of Denmark, and Christian's direct ancestor. "The painting depicts the DRF as a symbol, as it has been, as it is, and as it will be.
Christian is placed in the centre because it will be about him in the future. The repsonsibillity he carry can be seen on him, perhaps he is already weighed down by it. And his toy, a mounted king depicts Gorm the Old. In that way the history stretches back to the old king 1.100 years ago and all the way until today".

Another merciless detail Kluge has included in his painting is QMII's hands. Her red nailpolish has started to peel off a little. Her engagement ring which she always wear is there, as well as her Rolex watch, which she (according to herself) always wear loose.

Kluge first made a draft which was approved by QMII and then got to work, with the odd modifications and added children duting the process.

I think I can sense between the lines that Kluge isn't entirely pleased with Isabella. She's a lively girl and he explains: "In the final painting Isabella is sitting with a ragdoll. That's because I started to paint her, when she was a little girl. If I were to paint her today, it would be with something else than a doll".

In the background of the painting Kluge has included himself and his wife, wearing their wedding clothes, and also what they wore at a dinner at Christiansborg in 2008. Mrs. Kluge is seen in the painting as being heavily pregnant.

About the models, Kluge explains: "Frederik and Mary have each been to my studio in Korsør (a town) twice and so have Joachim and Marie and also Prince Henrik. But I have also met the royals at Amalienborg and at Fredensborg where I had an atelier and where I painted the Queen's face while she was posing. The children have not posed for me but I have been with Christian and Isabella and played with them in order to get an impression of how they are as children. The same thing applies to little Henrik. Only Felix and Nikolai have been painted after photographs".

There have also been a number of modifications in regards to what the DRF wore.
QMII selected the red suit she wearing (and apparantly he didn't argue) and from that the outfits worn by the rest were adjusted/alligned.
Prince Henrik's jacket was initially purple, but was changed to green.
Christian wore a striped shirt initially but that was changed to white and a jacket was added.

Nikolai and Felix were directed in how to pose with the LEGO bricks and photographs were taken to be worked from. The bricks are red to match QMII's outfit.
They were initially to have been playing with a broken LEGO figure, but then Kluge heard his step daughter exclaim to a younger halfsister: "You are lucky you haven't been taken apart". Kluge: "That remark went straight to the heart and indeed because the boys come from a divorced family I didn't want them to occupy themselves with something that was broken. Instead they are now building something together, a tower". The reason why they are both wearing blue shirts is due to the light.

BB checked with an auction expert and according to him, the painting would fetch some 1-2 million DKK today at an auction. 1 $ = 5.5 DKK, 1 € = 7.5 DKK, 1 £ = 9 DKK.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Royal Highness

thank you Muhler

this one seems a lot "lighter"
https://app.box.com/s/n7mkwhzvvoqzqeplvjck
Love how he painted Mary and Frederik
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Thank you, Muhler, for all of that excellent detail. It was interesting to read and I found it valuable in helping to more fully appreciate the painting. I laughed at myself when I read that my 'cavalry officer' was, in fact, Gorm the Old, which makes perfect allegorical sense. (Sometimes, I'm just not too bright!)

I understand that it's to be on public display during the winter - but then what? I'd really like to see it sometime but even that couldn't induce me to the northern hemisphere in winter. Do you know what the future plans are, by any chance?
Old 11-22-2013, 03:53 AM
Heir Apparent

You are welcome, Polly & Polyesco.

Yes, I do. In March 2014 it will hang in the Yellow Room at Fredensborg. - Until then it's on public display at Amalienborg.

You will find a picture here (along with a lot of other stuff). Some two-thirds down the page you will see a gallery from inside Fredensborg, the room in question is called "Gule salon". Kontakt - NYHED - Royal

Alternatively look here: http://fotografilia.dk/upload_dir/sh...interieur-.jpg
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Courtier

To quote Muhler, Billed Bladet mentioned the peeling nail varnish of Queen Margrethe. I'm not sure that BB has got this right; to me it looks more like 'highlights' on a shiny surface! It's one of the most basic tricks in art painting! But at the end of the day you'll have to see the painting up close to determine what it is!

Hopefully I'll be able to see the painting in Copenhagen before it's too late!
Viv