The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

He's painting fate - rather than reality. He is chasing the future while tipping his hat at the past. I agree that it is unsettling and creepy - but that's what he does.

You can say you do not like it. But you cannot say that he has not successfully executed his vision. That's what great painters do. IMHO

Oh, and BTW - I would not hang it in my living room either. But I respect what he has done.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I think we had more fun flexing our comedic muscle with Royal Family of the Corn than we did with Kate's portrait last year.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post

Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire
For God's sake, what is this? The Danish version of "The Addams Family"?

Thank you for a loud chuckle. This is the worst painting that I have ever seen, my goodness what are they thinking? Who is doing what to approve this? It's worst then the Addams Family in every way.
It looks like the second generation of the Addams family - with Morticia and Gomez (QM and PH) and their children... The lighting on poor Christian's face makes him look like he is deformed! I certainly hope they do not let the little ones see it... it will be one they hide from, for sure!

I wonder what the Danish Royal Family thinks of it? Or, if QM likes it, everyone rolls their eyes when she's not looking?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Courtier

Lumutqueen:
There is no personality in the picture, there is no happiness.

Lumutqueen:

I was trying to figure out why I really didn't like this portrait and your comment helped me see why, There is no joy, no love, no happiness nor laughter, in fact they appear as dead.

For me a family portrait should show some love or joy in each other, here there is none and it makes me wonder, does this family get along with each other? This shows a very unstable family and lots of tension among each other.

Thanks for your comment, it dotted the I for me.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Courtier

Not a fan of the colours and light. The lighting on Christian...seriously? Frederick's colouring makes him look rather old and, quite frankly, unhealthy. Poor Isabella looks quite leery and almost afraid of her big brother. It's not all terrible, but for me it is hard to see past those things. There is little warmth or joy. The artist only wanted to be talked about, how else can you explain this??. I feel so bad for the family. This could have really been something.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

I think that the last few posts have hit the nail on the head. This is not a "family portrait." It's some sort of caricature, as some have accused Goya of back in the day, only this is more overtly garish.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Oh, yes, poor Isabella. I hadn't looked closely at her, but her depiction reminds me of Linda Blair in "The Exorcist".
Roslyn . . .

Truer words were never spoken!

Dead on TARGET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Well, I think we had more fun flexing our comedic muscle with Royal Family of the Corn than we did with Kate's portrait last year.

ABSOLUTELY agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Yeah, okay.

Well, I can imagine that the DRF are just as divided as everybody else.

The Regent Couple themselves are pretty formidable in regards to their knowledge of art and Frederik himself is very interested in modern art. Don't know about the rest.

The public here in DK are certainly divided! Going from hating it, finding it hideous, spooky and so on.
To loving it, finding it fascinating and eager to see it in real life at Amalienborg.
The reviews from art critics in DK appear to be fairly positive.

Anyway, as long as it doen's depict my familt and don't hang on my wall I find it pretty interesting too and might actually go see it, if I happen to drop by Copenhagen in the next few months.
Muhler . . .

If it were me, I wouldn't even hang this thing () on a tree in my front OR back yard!

The FRONT yard, ESPECIALLY!!!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 AM
Aristocracy

I kind of like the painting, except for Christian in the front with the shadows and light. He looks creepy!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think that the last few posts have hit the nail on the head. This is not a "family portrait." It's some sort of caricature, as some have accused Goya of back in the day, only this is more overtly garish.
I think the adults, and Joachim's older children, have been depicted too realistically for me to call it a caricature. There's a real problem with Fred & Mary's children though. Maybe the artist found them hard to capture, but they all look a bit "off". I'm not at all sure about the entire composition, but I do agree it is not a "family portrait"; there's something else going on but I'm not sure what it is. It's unnerving though, whatever it is.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Horrible. The artist must hate the DRF!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Serene Highness

Looks like the news made it also to Buzzfeed:
The New Danish Royal Family Portrait Is Super Creepy
Old 11-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here is a picture of Margrethe posing for the artist and watching him work
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/u...tfoto12012.jpg

The painting might be a bit too dark but I love that the painting was done with all 14 members of the DRF.
I wish more royal families had one too of their current members.
I love the symbolism of the legos and Nikolai and Felix "rebuilding" it.

I would love to see it in person. I guess I'll add this to my growing list of reasons to visit Denmark
Old 11-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Courtier

IMO some faces look well done: Margrethe and Joachim's sons.
But others look horrible: Henrik and Athena.
Frederik & Mary look 10 years older.

I always find it weird to see a painting of someone who is still alive.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
HA! That was a good one Gracie, good thing I wasn't drinking at the time or my screen would have been wet. This portrait is not my taste at all. A bit dark, a bit creepy. To each his own.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Serene Highness

I would love it if this would be the 'Halloween' (or dark) version of the family-portrait and there would be a second (light) portrait with the entire family where the show their usual liveliness and joy for life.
Of all the european royal families they for me often seem the most joyeus and fun; for me this joy is completely missing in the dark picture, but if this would be a set of two, this could be a unique and fabulous set.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I hope they don't hang that thing in Vincent and Josie's room. Poor darlings will have nightmares.
And with Mary and Frederik living so close to where the painting is currently exhibited, I can only imagine they have visited it with their children. Or at least with Christian and Bella. I wonder what Christian and Bella have thought about it if they have seen it. I would even in my adult age be a bit shocked to see myself in this quite spooky way
Old 11-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't say that.

In my experience children see art in a completely different light from adults.
I would certainly be very interested in learning Bella and Christian's opinion!
They are still so young that their minds haven't been "boxed in" yet.

In my cynical opinion people start to loose their marbles from around age fifteen and then it gets gradually worse. There are some lucky few who start to come to their senses again around 75 or so.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Courtier

It is an immensely interesting painting so far as I can tell and one which will engender a lot of debate. However, I've learnt over the years (and often the hard way) that it's best to see an original work of art before commenting on it: there is frequently a vast chasm between responses to a reproduction and those prompted by an original. It is very different from a photograph, no matter how stylistically or innovative the photograph might be - a single photographic image only conveys a moment in a person's emotional life. A personal case in point is the much-discussed portrait of the Duchess of Cambridge which many criticized on the grounds that it didn't look 'enough like her'. However, I saw the portrait this year and appreciated it a lot more; moving around it, I could see slightly different nuances of the Duchess' usual expressions which were remarkably realistic, in my opinion. And, of course, the Duchess, educated to a high level in fine arts, gave it her stamp of approval - she, obviously, understood the difference between a painted and a photographic portrait.

With the Kluge, it's pertinent to remember that the Royal Family knew his work and his style well, so they cannot have been too surprised by the finished product. We also know that Frederik has a modernist, avant-garde taste in art because Mary has said so, attributing responsibility for the refurbishment of their home primarily to him. Kluge's baroque style and chiaroscuro technique would have been quite familiar to him and his artist mother and the painting, therefore, in no way unexpected. Here, it appears to used to evoke tension between the spiritual and physical elements of the human condition, never more stressed, I believe, than in those surrounding the power and authority of the throne.

Our post-modern age challenges traditional cultural norms declaring that nothing is sacred, not even the idea of god or god's word is universally accepted any more without question. Over the last few decades the Danish Royal Family has shown its ability to steer a course through the ever changing modern world of conflicting ideas, public scrutiny and mass communication and we see its considered response in enabling this modern portrait to express the human over the usual divine, unapproachable image of the monarchy. The traditional purpose of the royal portrait, of course, is to declare the immortality of the regime and the relevant social and class structures. Reverential appearance loaded with symbols of power and deference to position becomes the cultural norm. In the Kluge, it's different, but in no way devoid of them. They are there but need to be found and evaluated in a completely new context.

When all's said and done, it's the artist's interpretation of the current monarchy and how he sees it and the individual members of the family, or rather, what they represent. In any event, the artist has succeeded: he's executed a work which invites and encourages modern interpretation, challenges orthodoxy, arouses strong responses, and is offering comparisons and suggesting understandings with the past, the present and the future. The composition itself is excellent, in my opinion, with the Queen and her immediate heir looking in Christian's direction, but further outwards towards the viewer. To this viewer (remembering that I haven't seen the original) it conveys something true and tangible about this monarchy's long service, experience and devotion to duty. Perhaps it's severe in its naturalism in its effort, I take it, to convey Kluge's intended psychological reality by stripping the monarchy of anything that's elegant or romantic or pretty. No less a valid and meaningful portrait for that, but.

I've lost count of the number of artistic expressions in all of painting, writing and music which were hated, reviled and panned by contemporary critics (generally because they were non-traditional and innovative) but which today are hailed as 'great' and amongst civilization's most prized treasures. This is C21 and any artistic flourish which is going to survive and be honoured in any historical sense will have to reflect that rather than merely mimicking past styles, values and attitudes.

I sincerely hope that I'll have the opportunity of seeing this remarkable portrait one day
Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The painting might be a bit too dark but I love that the painting was done with all 14 members of the DRF.
I wish more royal families had one too of their current members.
Didn't Prince Edward order one of his wedding with members of the Royal Family? I remember reading about it several times, years ago; but have never seen anything.

The Danish painting is well executed and designed, but i agree with those who said there was no joy...
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
It is an immensely interesting painting so far as I can tell and one which will engender a lot of debate.
I sincerely hope that I'll have the opportunity of seeing this remarkable portrait one day
Maybe you can study this high res. pic in the meantime. The details are incredible.

http://www.b.dk/sites/default/files-...457-kluge2.jpg

This painting is not meant for our living rooms or to our taste. It is a present for a queen and for the history. It is for a large wall in a palace or a museum. I also believe that the royal family likes Kluges work and did expect something like this.

I myself would have choosen a different painter and would prever a different painting but thats just me. I'm neither an artist nor a queen.

This post is quite interessting as well.

Glittering Royal Events Message Board: Thomas Kluge: "Kongehuset"

Among other things he writes:
Kluge is a great illusionistic painter, but he does not use this talent to beautify the objects, but to create a surreal world, that looks 'real' at first glance but which reveals many unconscious layers when one study the paintings for a longer time. This is his trademark, and this is one of the reasons why the members of the royal family like his oeuvre.