The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Personally i love this painting - the black background brings real originality to the rather ossified genre of Royal portraiture.
I like the colours too. There was a close-up somewhere, and the black with the other colours was very striking. The darkness doesn't bother me at all.

PH and Marie are the ones who look least like themselves but most of the others are ok. Isabella was possibly painted a few years ago.

I don't understand why people get so hung up on the space between the two families ?:
The Regent couple in the middle, of course, and their two sons with their large families on both sides of them. Christian could perhaps have been sitting between the Regent couple rather than standing in front, but...

Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

If the intention had been for a nicely staged portrait in a mellow setting - take a photograph. This is a painting where the artist had free reins to create. Perhaps some day we will hear from the artist himself exactly why he did such a setting and coloring and why Christian is taking center stage. It is very unlikely there will be a monarchy when his time comes assuming the preceeding two regents will live long and healthy lives.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
The Danish Royal Family 130 yrs ago

http://jyllands-posten.dk/kultur/bil...ens-maleri.jpg
I defiantly prefer this portrait, it gives a cosy, warm and family feel to it. I'm not so keen on this year's version, the background is a bit sinister IMO. I agree with kathl29's comment on how Christian seems to take over the portrait. However I like how the other family members are painted.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
If the intention had been for a nicely staged portrait in a mellow setting - take a photograph. This is a painting where the artist had free reins to create. Perhaps some day we will hear from the artist himself exactly why he did such a setting and coloring and why Christian is taking center stage.
There are already a couple of video clips (in Danish), where he comments on this. I will not attempt a translation.

From BB:
"- Børnene er foran, og de voksne er bagved for at fortælle om, at prins Christian er fanget imellem det at være voksen og barn på en gang - og de forpligtelser og de ting, vi tilllægger det, så det var egentlig for at se på Christians rolle som bærer af en arv, en stor historie, og hvordan man forener det med det barnlige - og derfor er der den alvor omkring ham, siger Thomas Kluge"

Judging from his previous work, he seems to have similar coloring in his most of his paintings.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
There are already a couple of video clips (in Danish), where he comments on this. I will not attempt a translation.

From BB:
"- Børnene er foran, og de voksne er bagved for at fortælle om, at prins Christian er fanget imellem det at være voksen og barn på en gang - og de forpligtelser og de ting, vi tilllægger det, så det var egentlig for at se på Christians rolle som bærer af en arv, en stor historie, og hvordan man forener det med det barnlige - og derfor er der den alvor omkring ham, siger Thomas Kluge"

Judging from his previous work, he seems to have similar coloring in his most of his paintings.
There is usually much more to an artist's inspiration than the very predictable answer he gave.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
It is a very good idea to have the whole family painted together, but this is horrifying.
The way that most members of each family are far from each other, that most of the adults looks waaaaayyy much older than they are ( except for Mary ), how Christian is placed and how he looks in the portrait, how alone Isabella seems to be and all the symbolism in the portrait, I kind of get the feeling that they want to send us the message that this World Will End Very Soon, Be Careful.
I get this same dark message of doom and gloom "end of the world" feeling. While the artistic talent and abilities of this painter are certainly not in question, the painting is too macabre.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very strange painting. Technically good, and I suppose Christian is the focus because he is the future. But first thing I thought of when I saw him was he's Damien from "The Omen" and he's going to kill them all.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow. Yes, technically, this is wonderful. Psychologically powerful. And a reach - because it is not all all safe. But I'd love to see it in person. Wow.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 11-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Courtier

At first glance I thought it was creepy. Technically he did Mary and Marie & Joachims children quite well. Poor little Christian looks like he has bags under his eyes. Isabella's right hand is too large and Frederik looks much older than he is. Also the soles of Isabella's shoes are too dramatically different colours instead of being closer in colour to each other taking into effect the lighting/light difference. I have always admired Tuxens painting its one of my favourites and this is no comparison.
Not a fan I'm afraid.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
For God's sake, what is this? The Danish version of "The Addams Family"?
"They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky, ..."
Old 11-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Courtier

Very Clever TLLK!!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:22 AM
Aristocracy

Im sorry but this is a seriously awful portrait. Theres so much wrong with it I wouldnt kow where to begin. The worse is the flesh tones they are really awful looking at the closeup of Freds hand it looks bruised. The rest of them look muddy and weathered whereas in reality most of them have fair complexions except for Marie. The other thing which I cant get past is I thought to myself that Christian didnt look right something abut his features then I saw the Artists and its obvious that he has fallen for the worst mistake that an Artist has to avoid and that is painting themselves into the portrait. Christians features are more like the Artist than his own others in the family also have had the same thing happen but not as obviously as Christian in the portrait. Do not like this painting at all I expect it will see its days out stored away in the basement.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenbeee View Post
I saw the Artists and its obvious that he has fallen for the worst mistake that an Artist has to avoid and that is painting themselves into the portrait.
Isn't that a time-honoured tradition?

Quote:
I expect it will see its days out stored away in the basement.
Not at all; according to sources this belated 70 birthday present for the queen will eventually be on the wall in the yellow saloon at Fredensborg Castle.

And it would be a crying shame to hide the painting; I'm so looking forward to seeing it in real life as seeing Kluge's portraits 'in the flesh' is quite an experience IMO. His traditional use of dark/black colours for example is quite different from seeing it in photos.

I like it more the more I look at the pictures of it; and I think it has all the right ingredients for being considered a great piece of art. It divides people's opinions - which is always good in terms of art I think as it gives room for discussions, speculations, exchange of views and renewed perusing of the pictures of the painting.

The real tragedy would have been if the majority had applauded it as a direct continuation of Tuxen's famous painting - which is masterly done in it's own right. Or if people had just found it 'cosy' and approachable.
This is dark, dangerous and devilishly well thought out in my amateur opinion.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

The painting is too dark for me.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not a major fan of Kluge and I think that this new portrait is absolutely horrendous. However, I quite like the other two portraits he has painted of QMII. This one is incredibly detailed and beautiful and this one is very majestic.

Quote:
I expect it will see its days out stored away in the basement.
As UserDane says, it wont. There are several works by Kluge exhibited on The Museum of National History on Frederiksborg Castle (some better than others), he's a quite popular artist, and it seems like the RF - or QMII at least - is a fan of him as well. It would also be exceptionally rude to just store it away considering that it's a birthday gift for QMII.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Very strange painting. Technically good, and I suppose Christian is the focus because he is the future. But first thing I thought of when I saw him was he's Damien from "The Omen" and he's going to kill them all.
lol I thought the same thing!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
For God's sake, what is this? The Danish version of "The Addams Family"?
This is the best description of the painting
Old 11-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
THAT is exactly who/what I was trying to bring to mind ... thank you! I don't know about the killing part, however this did remind me "Damien".
Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Glad I'm not the only one. The painting evokes memories of images such as this. http://beyond-fest.com/wp-content/up...0/The-Omen.jpg
Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
lol I thought the same thing!
You both have watched too many movies The new portrait is an artistic interpretation; perhaps there will be an interview asking questions about provenance but when I first saw this work, I did not think of Charles Addams but rather Ruisdael and his ruined castles in the background This work is interesting and will, I hope, be well discussed in the Danish media. I look forward to reading the reviews