The Three Sisters: Margrethe, Benedikte & Anne-Marie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We all lnow how artictic Queen Margrethe is and how involved she is in the arts.
Princess Benedicktte is a horse breeder and a dressage rider (as is her daughter nathalie).

What about Queen Anne-Marie -- what are her interests and hobbies (not including charities which they all do) ?????

We all lnow how artictic Queen Margrethe is and how involved she is in the arts.
Princess Benedicktte is a horse breeder and a dressage rider (as is her daughter nathalie).

What about Queen Anne-Marie -- what are her interests and hobbies (not including charities which they all do) ?????

Also what interest/hobbies do their children have (we know Fred loves his racing boats and Joachim his racing cars, Nathalie her horses)

Also what interest/hobbies do their children have (we know Fred loves his racing boats and Joachim his racing cars, Nathalie her horses)

Prince Frederik is of course in horse riding, sailing and possible anything to do with the IOC. :)
Prince Joachim as you say Racing cars.
Princess Nathalie horses like her mother.

King Constantine is an honourary member of the IOC so anything sporty
Princess Marie-Chantal fashion is an interest. She has also written a book. :)

According to the Greek Royal Family's website, Anne-Marie loves music and history.

How sweet,they seem very close.

Are there any pictures of the three with their family together like crown prince pavlos with crown prince Frederick and their wives and children.

Here is a nice photo of the sisters and their mother:

Pic

Hello, i'm very interested in the relationship between the three sisters. Does anyone know facts about how the relationship was in the past and is today?

Who is particularly close?

:previous: IIRC, in the book Three Sisters (Tre søstre) the three mentioned that Benedikte and Anne-Marie were closer when they were younger because their age difference was smaller than that of Margrethe and Benedikte –*and Margrethe mentioned that she thought they were being too silly for her, she much preferred reading. Now, I reckon Margrethe and Benedikte see each other a bit more than they see Anne-Marie because she doesn't come to Denmark on a weekly basis.

They've mentioned in the past that the death of Queen Ingrid brought them much closer together. They see each other every summer – Anne-Marie usually comes to Fredensborg a week or two before the photoshoot which is why she's rarely there when the photos are taken. They are also all going to celebrate christmas together this year for the first time since 2006.

Thank you Zelia!

Can any of you speak Danish? Or is from Denmark?

Would someone be so nice and would translate me something?

Last edited by a moderator:
this is an international forum, including members from Denmark. The advantage is we have local expertise on particular families/visits/history that makes this a wonderful site to learn about things you never realized you wanted to know!:lol::flowers:

Bryllup - Joachim og Alexandra - dr.dk/Bonanza
(Part 6 of 8)

This is the link. An excerpt from Joachim's wedding.

From the 30th minute a small section of Benediktes wedding will be shown. Also the speech of King Frederick. This is followed by a 'performance' of Queen Margrethe and Queen Anne-Marie on Prince Richard and Princess Benedikte, as well as a short speech of Queen Ingrid.

Unfortunately, I understand almost nothing and it would be wonderful if someone could translate it. There is little to learn more about Princess Benedikte, so I have to ask for your help.

I know it's a bit much, but I would be very grateful :flowers:

:previous: Hmm, I don't seem to be able to open the vids. :ermm: Perhaps someone can assist?
If it's what I think it is, then QMII and Queen Anne-Marie are in a poetic fashion teasing their sister, and her fondness of horses. Apparantly a horse named Daydream, which she must have talked about a lot!

Last edited:
Too bad, Muhler. But thank you for trying!

Oh, but I can. It was just a problem with a plugin.

It starts out with Frederik IX giving a speech at Benedikte's wedding. Here he is lamenting how the last has now left the nest and is on her way to build her own nest, while mom and dad sit behind singing: "Ach, Du Lieber Augustin ( - alles ist weg, weg, weg - a lamenting song).
He goes on to telling about how Benedikte recently stood in for Queen Ingrid, apparantly while Frederik IX was present. She did very well indeed at an international scout jamboree (I think it's called) and before she went up behind the rostrum dad asked whether he could give her a kiss. - No!
But he was nevertheless so proud of his daughter that she got a hug after she had given her speech.

Later on QMII and Queen Anne-Marie in a kind of dialogue talk about events in Benedikte and Prince Richard's marriage.
QMII stating that they are not that ordinary, both having their quirks and interests.
Apparantly friends of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid teased the two older sisters by calling Benedikte there "luxury-friend". Benedikte prefer things to be neat, neatly dressed and with neat hair. - and she ended up as scout!?!
Sleeping in a tent. - Did she ever sleep in a tent? Heaven help the mosquitos! Campfire in the rain and mud in the mascara. But the uniform, that was elegant!
They go on to tease their sister for her fondness of making lists of everything.

They then go on to tease Prince Richard who is milling around the woods of Berleburg, including putting guests to work as well - and at a high gear!
Berleburg is not a quiet place!
They have have a common talent for organising. Richard organise the hunts, Benedikte the dinner and the lists...
They also mock their sister for an exteremly round about way of shipping towels to Berleburg.
They also tease Richard for an episode where he had toothache and told Benedikte to call Queen Ingrid to have a dentist standing by in Copenhagen. And all the Berleburgs had their teeth fixed. Anne-Marie remarks that it was a good thing he had his mouth fixed, because he use it a lot...!
They proceed to tease their sister for being a perfectionist and sometimes, often, using a German word in the middle of a sentence: "Jah"? QMII giggles.
Their marriage has setteled down by now, when Richard yell, Benedikte keeps queit. When Benedikte's eyes go black, Richard is scared! They have their children, Gustav, Alexandra, Nathalie and the fole, Daydream. (Said in chorus).

That was the essense. And Thanks for pointing out this very funny episode from Richard and Benedikte's silver anniversary. :lol:

Last edited:
MUHLER, thank you so much :flowers:

Oh, but I can. It was just a problem with a plugin.

It starts out with Frederik IX giving a speech at Benedikte's wedding. Here he is lamenting how the last has now left the nest and is on her way to build her own nest, while mom and dad sit behind singing: "Ach, Du Lieber Augustin ( - alles ist weg, weg, weg - a lamenting song).
He goes on to telling about how Benedikte recently stood in for Queen Ingrid, apparantly while Frederik IX was present. She did very well indeed at an international scout jamboree (I think it's called) and before she went up behind the rostrum dad asked whether he could give her a kiss. - No!
But he was nevertheless so proud of his daughter that she got a hug after she had given her speech.

Later on QMII and Queen Anne-Marie in a kind of dialogue talk about events in Benedikte and Prince Richard's marriage.
QMII stating that they are not that ordinary, both having their quirks and interests.
Apparantly friends of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid teased the two older sisters by calling Benedikte there "luxury-friend". Benedikte prefer things to be neat, neatly dressed and with neat hair. - and she ended up as scout!?!
Sleeping in a tent. - Did she ever sleep in a tent? Heaven help the mosquitos! Campfire in the rain and mud in the mascara. But the uniform, that was elegant!
They go on to tease their sister for her fondness of making lists of everything.

They then go on to tease Prince Richard who is milling around the woods of Berleburg, including putting guests to work as well - and at a high gear!
Berleburg is not a quiet place!
They have have a common talent for organising. Richard organise the hunts, Benedikte the dinner and the lists...
They also mock their sister for an exteremly round about way of shipping towels to Berleburg.
They also tease Richard for an episode where he had toothache and told Benedikte to call Queen Ingrid to have a dentist standing by in Copenhagen. And all the Berleburgs had their teeth fixed. Anne-Marie remarks that it was a good thing he had his mouth fixed, because he use it a lot...!
They proceed to tease their sister for being a perfectionist and sometimes, often, using a German word in the middle of a sentence: "Jah"? QMII giggles.
Their marriage has setteled down by now, when Richard yell, Benedikte keeps queit. When Benedikte's eyes go black, Richard is scared! They have their children, Gustav, Alexandra, Nathalie and the fole, Daydream. (Said in chorus).

That was the essense. And Thanks for pointing out this very funny episode from Richard and Benedikte's silver anniversary. :lol:

MUHLER, thank you so much :flowers:

You are welcome, Schatten. :)

Now you asked me to give a translation of the speech Queen Ingrid gave after the QMII & Anne-Marie performance.
It was a very warm and loving speech.

"You are the second of our three daughters and that may not always have been that easy, because you three sisters are very different.
I can clearly remember, Benedikte, sitting straight in your pram, very quiet, with your beautiful big eyes, seeing everything that went on and you have always been unusually observant. You sucked in big and small impressions - in silence but you must have pondered because a lot later you asked questions. You've always had a very good memory, that is often of benefit to yourself and a help and support for the rest of us.
Dear Richard, when you entered the family it was like a fresh breath from wooded hills around Berleburg and we grew to become very fond of you. You like to provoke and you don't hesitate to tease your mother-in-law but I don't let that affect me, because now I know you and I know that you have a heart of gold".

- Okay! When you consider what she said to QMII in a speech, (was it at PH & QMII's silver anniversary?) she seems to have possessed the enviable gift of saying just the right thing to everyone and going straight into the heart.

:previous:

such a sweet picture :flowers:

Margrethe, Anne Marie, and Benedikte in Grasten Gardens

Back
Top Bottom