The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Crown Prince Frederik, Queen Margrethe, Crown Princess
Mary and Prince Christian at the Royal hunting at Grib Skov
near Fredensborg Castle, Denmark, November 27, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** belga **

Old 11-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Who is the pretty dark-haired woman behind Crown Princess Mary in this photo?
http://i49.tinypic.com/30lpdg3.jpg

Old 11-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
Who is the pretty dark-haired woman behind Crown Princess Mary in this photo?
http://i49.tinypic.com/30lpdg3.jpg
Is Baroness Helle.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonieta View Post
Is Baroness Helle.
Thank you, Antonieta. I couldn't recognize her in the photos. I wonder if Princess Benedikte and her family attended the hunt? It seems like they usually attend the hunt each year.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

i loved this picture of mary stroking a dog from one of the persons walking about - she genuinely seems to care for animals.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
These pictures disturbed me deeply. I know it´s "tradition" in many countries, I also know we eat meat and chicken, etc...but those poor animals, laying there and especially that child touching them. It made me very sad.

I agree, I'm deeply disturbed too. This is a very sensitve issue, perhaps the royal house should have a more moderate position about this and don't allow pictures of dead animals next to them be taken.

In a society that is deeply concerned over it's enviromental and ecologic impact over this Earth, the picture of a child watching dead animals is disturbing. Shouldn't we, the XXI people be teaching our children respect and love for all living things?. Just a thought, I DON'T WANT TO START A POLEMIC DISCUSSION ON THIS!!

What happens to this deers? Are they donated as food or something?. Do you know if the area is overpopulated with these animals?.Is any of the danish royals involved in animals rights patronages?.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

A few pictures from ANP

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2598/11477744.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5885/11477747.jpg
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2531/11477750.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8640/11477764.jpg
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7082/11477832.jpg
Old 11-28-2009, 03:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilo View Post
I agree, I'm deeply disturbed too. This is a very sensitve issue, perhaps the royal house should have a more moderate position about this and don't allow pictures of dead animals next to them be taken.

In a society that is deeply concerned over it's enviromental and ecologic impact over this Earth, the picture of a child watching dead animals is disturbing. Shouldn't we, the XXI people be teaching our children respect and love for all living things?. Just a thought, I DON'T WANT TO START A POLEMIC DISCUSSION ON THIS!!
I completely agree with your comments. There are some traditions that should just be relegated to the past.

I think what's more disturbing to me is no only the killing of innocent animals for sport. But, taking pictures with them as they are your trophies and not lifeless animals that you killed. Also, the pictures of Prince Christian with the dead animals were truly disgusting.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Serene Highness

Christian has grown up so much! Too bad Isabella was not there!

https://twitter.com/#!/Princesseswatch
Old 11-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201 View Post
I completely agree with your comments. There are some traditions that should just be relegated to the past.
In France sometimes hunts are organized when there are too many deer (to protect crops) and also too many wild boars, who are dangerous for people when they are too numerous, when they cause accidents and destroy crops
it's not fun activity but this maintains a balance
maybe the same thing happens in Denmark
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

What happens to this deers? Are they donated as food or something?. Do you know if the area is overpopulated with these animals?.Is any of the danish royals involved in animals rights patronages?.
Hunting is part of responsible land management. Steak just doesn't appear on anyones plate out of nowhere. Animals are raised and killed for food one way or another.

Hunting is a way of life if you live on and/or own country property. If it is bothersome please don't open a thread that has "royal hunt" in the title.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Yeah I understand that, that is why I'm asking our Danish members if this animals are eaten or if there is overpopulation, something that might justify the killing of animals more than just a sport

I think many of us, with not such strong stomachs, didn't expect to see the images of the dead animals when we open the thread, but I'll keep your kind advice in mind
Old 11-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle 53 View Post
In France sometimes hunts are organized when there are too many deer (to protect crops) and also too many wild boars, who are dangerous for people when they are too numerous, when they cause accidents and destroy crops
it's not fun activity but this maintains a balance
maybe the same thing happens in Denmark
Maybe I should have made that clear, but I was talking about the tradition of hunting for sport/entertainment that should be relegated to the past. You are talking about hunting to maintain crops or maintain a balance. I didn't mention in my post that hunting for legitimate land management purposes should be stopped. Please don't misunderstand me.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I too think this is one 'royal' tradition that could go. Hunting for sport is a Far cry than hunting for food. Seeing the young prince 'in training' was quite odd. I know this is done, it is just not something I'm interested in. Next year when it is time for the 'royal hunt' I will remember not to open the thread!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Nobility

Of all Mary's traditional duties, I think this one may be the most "cringeworthy" for her, judging by her face while looking at the dead animals.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I live in an area where hunting is a way of life (both for men and women, old and young) for all the reasons mentioned by other posters such as food, land management and recreation. Here its like a "right of passage" to go out with your father and hunt, so it appears the same for Frederik and Christian. This seems to be a family tradition for the Danish Royal Family. I respect their right to hunt and do as they please, maybe Im de-sentisized though.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

BT has a nice photo gallery and here is some lovely pictures not posted before
Old 11-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
I live in an area where hunting is a way of life (both for men and women, old and young) for all the reasons mentioned by other posters such as food, land management and recreation. Here its like a "right of passage" to go out with your father and hunt, so it appears the same for Frederik and Christian. This seems to be a family tradition for the Danish Royal Family. I respect their right to hunt and do as they please, maybe Im de-sentisized though.
I wasn't brought up around it really, and I have no issue with it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's not as if it's inhumane. It's a swift killing which is the way it should be.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

i agree with both of you. it's also a disturbing image to me. it's a shame this practice is still carried out. i personally would not take my child to such thing, let alone let him touch the poor animals lying there for the sake of human entertainment. it's a cruel practice.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Courtier

I think only vegetarians have the right to complain about hunting. Those deer probably had a better, freer life than the pigs, cows, chicken, that most people eat. They life in cages their whole life, those deer had a chance.
In some areas it is necessary to hunt as there are no natural predators anymore (bears, wolfes). The deer would become too many and starve in the winter.
And about Christian... He probably wasn't there during the hunt itself. Isn't it better he knows where food comes from and isn't estranged from nature?

Tags
royal hunt at fredensborg