The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Nobility

Of all Mary's traditional duties, I think this one may be the most "cringeworthy" for her, judging by her face while looking at the dead animals.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I live in an area where hunting is a way of life (both for men and women, old and young) for all the reasons mentioned by other posters such as food, land management and recreation. Here its like a "right of passage" to go out with your father and hunt, so it appears the same for Frederik and Christian. This seems to be a family tradition for the Danish Royal Family. I respect their right to hunt and do as they please, maybe Im de-sentisized though.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

BT has a nice photo gallery and here is some lovely pictures not posted before
Old 11-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
I live in an area where hunting is a way of life (both for men and women, old and young) for all the reasons mentioned by other posters such as food, land management and recreation. Here its like a "right of passage" to go out with your father and hunt, so it appears the same for Frederik and Christian. This seems to be a family tradition for the Danish Royal Family. I respect their right to hunt and do as they please, maybe Im de-sentisized though.
I wasn't brought up around it really, and I have no issue with it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's not as if it's inhumane. It's a swift killing which is the way it should be.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilo View Post
I agree, I'm deeply disturbed too. This is a very sensitve issue, perhaps the royal house should have a more moderate position about this and don't allow pictures of dead animals next to them be taken.

In a society that is deeply concerned over it's enviromental and ecologic impact over this Earth, the picture of a child watching dead animals is disturbing. Shouldn't we, the XXI people be teaching our children respect and love for all living things?. Just a thought, I DON'T WANT TO START A POLEMIC DISCUSSION ON THIS!!

What happens to this deers? Are they donated as food or something?. Do you know if the area is overpopulated with these animals?.Is any of the danish royals involved in animals rights patronages?.
i agree with both of you. it's also a disturbing image to me. it's a shame this practice is still carried out. i personally would not take my child to such thing, let alone let him touch the poor animals lying there for the sake of human entertainment. it's a cruel practice.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Courtier

I think only vegetarians have the right to complain about hunting. Those deer probably had a better, freer life than the pigs, cows, chicken, that most people eat. They life in cages their whole life, those deer had a chance.
In some areas it is necessary to hunt as there are no natural predators anymore (bears, wolfes). The deer would become too many and starve in the winter.
And about Christian... He probably wasn't there during the hunt itself. Isn't it better he knows where food comes from and isn't estranged from nature?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Hunting has been a part of being royal for years, they have every night to do it and Christian has every right to go.
I love the picture of Frederik putting his hat on Christian.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i agree with both of you. it's also a disturbing image to me. it's a shame this practice is still carried out. i personally would not take my child to such thing, let alone let him touch the poor animals lying there for the sake of human entertainment. it's a cruel practice.
Any child that has grown up on a farm is used to the way food is raised or hunted, killed and eaten. There is absolutely nothing cruel about it. The same goes for anyone involved in 4H or Future Farmers of America - I assume most countries has something similar for young people. Your pet pig is fed and cared for until it is time to be slaughtered for christmas ham.
It is not entertainment. Hunters go out in teams and may spread out over large areas. They don't know what the total result is for the day until all the animals are field dressed and brought back home. If it is just you and your family going hunting the kill may just be hung from a treelimbs - but you all still evaluate the result of the hunt.
Next time you eat a steak think about the life of the feed lot cattle it came from - that is cruelty.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado View Post
I think only vegetarians have the right to complain about hunting. Those deer probably had a better, freer life than the pigs, cows, chicken, that most people eat. They life in cages their whole life, those deer had a chance.
In some areas it is necessary to hunt as there are no natural predators anymore (bears, wolfes). The deer would become too many and starve in the winter.
And about Christian... He probably wasn't there during the hunt itself. Isn't it better he knows where food comes from and isn't estranged from nature?

I soo agree with you. The area will be too populated if they æive and they would starve. I actually think that hunters are very cautious about the animals, to make sure they dont suffer.
I would really like all you beefeaters (my self included) to see how a farm cow or pig are being put to rest. Now thats brutal for me to see.
I cant see any fuss about Christian being there tbs. Its healthy he knows where things comes from, so he wont grow up thinking that chickens comes from the supermarket freezer.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't have an objection to hunting so long as the animal is killed cleanly and then not wasted. I come from a hunting family too, although I am not one of them (don't even like fishing). Our city has a TERRIBLE deer problem, and deer are a major problem on the roads... since we've gotten rid of their major predators, something has to be done to keep them in check (and hunting is probably less terrible to them than a pandemic disease or starvation). Hunters get a terrible rap from many people, but they are often the ones who are most supportive of our national and state parks and conservation societies.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Gallery
PPE Agency
Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
Gallery
PPE Agency
I have to admit some of the pictures of Christian looking at the dead animals is quite disturbing. He shouldn't have been allowed that close.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201 View Post
Maybe I should have made that clear, but I was talking about the tradition of hunting for sport/entertainment that should be relegated to the past. You are talking about hunting to maintain crops or maintain a balance. I didn't mention in my post that hunting for legitimate land management purposes should be stopped. Please don't misunderstand me.
And why do you assume that the DRF hunts for sport/entertainment and not for legitimate land management?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
And why do you assume that the DRF hunts for sport/entertainment and not for legitimate land management?

That was my assumption based on what I think a "ROYAL hunt" constitutes. Flipping the question back to you, why do you assume it was for legitimate land management purposes?

Since, neither of us were at the hunt, we can only "assume," and I can and so can you assume whichever way we like
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Courtier

My grandfather used to hunt too. It was normal for him. I never wanted to go with him. I always thought it was not right to kill animals. I don't like the pictures of Cristian with the dead animals. It's ok if the grown ups go hunting when it is their tradition. But they should not bring the child so close.
Well, but maybe they want the King of the Future to grow up with that, so he will continue the tradition later.
I don't know. Anyway, I don't like this tradition.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That was my assumption based on what I think a "ROYAL hunt" constitutes. Flipping the question back to you, why do you assume it was for legitimate land management purposes?

Since, neither of us were at the hunt, we can only "assume," and I can and so can you assume whichever way we like
Well, I guess we are all just assuming - unless we are taking the trouble of informing ourselves better and checking the facts. But unlike you I am not judging people or situations on the basis of mere assumptions.

My assumption (which btw is that they are probably hunting for both reasons: land management and entertainment) is based on the facts that they were hunting in the woods of Fredensborg (their land) and that DK has an overpopulation of wild animals.
Why do you think "royal hunt" means "sport/entertainment" only? For me it means the host is royal, that's all.

But for whatever reasons they hunt, I like the fact that the DRF is so open and "natural" about everything (smoking, hunts, stylists...). No "doing and denying/obscuring" here. And I like that - no matter whether I particularly like what they are doing or not.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

It´s sad to see dead animals.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Courtier

The deer hunted in the royal forests are hunted for venison, a meat which is seen on many menus in the DRF. For example, venison was served at the wedding of the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark as can be seen at the following link:
The Danish Monarchy - Article
Quote:
Roast Venison from the Royal Forests
Rissole Potatoes from Samsø
Peas à la Parisienne
Sauté Mushroom and Morel Sauce
Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Well, I guess we are all just assuming - unless we are taking the trouble of informing ourselves better and checking the facts. But unlike you I am not judging people or situations on the basis of mere assumptions.

My assumption (which btw is that they are probably hunting for both reasons: land management and entertainment) is based on the facts that they were hunting in the woods of Fredensborg (their land) and that DK has an overpopulation of wild animals.
Why do you think "royal hunt" means "sport/entertainment" only? For me it means the host is royal, that's all.

But for whatever reasons they hunt, I like the fact that the DRF is so open and "natural" about everything (smoking, hunts, stylists...). No "doing and denying/obscuring" here. And I like that - no matter whether I particularly like what they are doing or not.
Btw, what you have mentioned above are vague facts and I can base the following assumptions on them. Such as, is a royal hunt really so necessary? If there is an overabundance, can an overseer, as part of their duties not handle it swiftly? Is a royal hunt organized every year the only way to curb overabundance. I should think there might be other ways, some even cheaper than organizing a hunt and afterwards parading the carcasses as trophies and taking gleeful pictures of not only themselves but their 4 year old child.

And I think this particular concept is eluding you, that we have clearly different opinions. Also, having things in "open" view doesn't necessarily make it correct. For example, someone decides to steal but does it in open view and is "natural" about it. Does that make it correct? Just because they are not denying/obscuring it, does that make the act correct? So according to you, we should tell the thief that continue doing what you are doing, even though I don't like it, but since you are doing it in public, by all means continue. I, for one, won't do that. To me what is incorrect is incorrect whether done in public view or out of it. And in my opinion, recreational hunting as well as smoking (I don't have any problem with stylists, I would like one if I could afford it) are wrong and should not be condoned in public view or private.

FYI, "unlike you" comments (the one you made above) tend to alienate people and don't necessarily lead to meaningful discussions. Plus, I am done with this topic, I have already expressed my opinion several times. Its time to agree to disagree.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
For example, someone decides to steal but does it in open view and is "natural" about it. Does that make it correct? Just because they are not denying/obscuring it, does that make the act correct? So according to you, we should tell the thief that continue doing what you are doing, even though I don't like it, but since you are doing it in public, by all means continue... Plus, I am done with this topic, I have already expressed my opinion several times. Its time to agree to disagree.
According to me?..did I write a word about criminal acts? (quite frankly, your example stinks) Did I say that doing things in open view makes them correct? Did I use the words "correct/incorrect" at all?
No, I didn't (and I never would in connection with smoking or hunting).
And yes, definitely time for agreeing to disagree.

Tags
royal hunt at fredensborg