The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Commoner

Well i hate the sport but i do know it is a passion for most of the royals, but i think such a public display is extremely inappropriate, i know they do it and fine whatever but they need to keep it at a somewhat low key thing. As for Christian there touching the deers...uhh, so wrong. Again i know this is his future but in my opinion that was a weird thing for mary and fred to let him do. I am a meat eater so i can't really speak to low of them because just because i don't hunt it really does not make a difference, but i really think such a public display is awful!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was just wondering if any Danish poster has read any critical comment on the pictures in newspapers and such? If such a thing would happen in my own country all hell would break loose, nature organisations, political parties and angry letters in newspapers and more of the sort.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I was just wondering if any Danish poster has read any critical comment on the pictures in newspapers and such? If such a thing would happen in my own country all hell would break loose, nature organisations, political parties and angry letters in newspapers and more of the sort.
I haven't seen any.
Doesn't the Dutch royals have hunts? I seem to remember that there were reports of Frederik and Mary attending one in Holland during their first year of marriage - and that WA hosted it? There were no pictures though.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Aristocracy

I just can't understand why people get angry and so on when they see Chr touching dead animals. My uncle is hunter and I and my cousins were just little when he show us dead animals and so on and i must say that it isn't scary - it was very interesting and something new and he told us much about hunting and so on. Why I talk all this is because I want to say that little children must get and want to know about this side of life too and it isn't scary.
You can see how interested in Christian is and how his eyes are shining. He is just child and he don't think that hunting is cruel and so on - he just watch these animals, people, torching and think how exciting this is. Despite how Mary is attitude about hunting she can't hide Chr away and do a face that there is no such thing.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I'm surprised that you say that, Marengo. I have a friend from Holland and he says that hunting is considered a rather lame pastime for aristocrats and he and his friends make fun of them...but its not something that he says people get enraged at.

In Europe, I believe hunting is more an aristocratic pursuit while in America it is not considered high class or high brow at all. In fact its considered rather redneck.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look at the news stand and among hunting and outdoor magazines - plenty of pictures of dead animals displayed after the hunt.

Hunting is part of wild life management and practised all over the US as well.

In Europe, I believe hunting is more an aristocratic pursuit while in America it is not considered high class or high brow at all. In fact its considered rather redneck.

There are plenty of very exclusive hunting lodges and properties across the US where you would not find a redneck - unless they worked the grounds. Definitively part of the more "land-owner" aristocracy than generally assumed.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Aristocracy

I have nothing against them hunting but seeing a little child next to dead animals shocked me when I clicked on the pictures. I'm not use to seeing that. To each his own I guess :)
Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Commoner

Seeing Christian playing amongst dead animals is a bit disturbing and Mary doesn't look thrilled. Love Henrik's hat though .

Zaja-I love your pic
Old 11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaJa View Post
I have nothing against them hunting but seeing a little child next to dead animals shocked me when I clicked on the pictures.
Christian seems to have a jolly good time - and that is good enough for me.
I wouldn't joine a huntingparty myselfe, but I do know people who enjoy hunting and it is my experience, that hunters have a lot more respect for nature then people have in general.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I haven't seen any.
Doesn't the Dutch royals have hunts? I seem to remember that there were reports of Frederik and Mary attending one in Holland during their first year of marriage - and that WA hosted it? There were no pictures though.
yes they do, and even a week or two ago there was some upheaval about a certain hunt at the estate the Hoge Veluwe, some nature groups were protesting, the Party of the Animals (political party, 2 seats in parlament...sigh!) asked questions etc. But the RVD denied that any royal was present.

I do remember some pictures of WA hunting at an estate of a friend in Zeeland, and that caused some angry comments in newspapers, magazines etc. But the Dutch RF does their best to keep it as much out of the public eye as possible. Hypocritical of course, but they do understand that when they would actually show such pictures there will be a public outcry.

To Ysbel: it is true that mot people do consider it an old fashioned idiotic sport, but most people also consider it cruel and don´t understand the fun of it. Still, the people who actually bother enough to do something against it here aren´t a majority indeed, though the environmental groups etc. are rather vocal about hunt from now and then. I gather that pictures like this would spark a public debate that might forbid this kind of recreational hunting alltogether. So as I said the Dutch RF is carefull to keep it all out of the sight of the public, to protect their own image.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

These hunts are a part of European culture and a tradition within elite/aristocratic society. I don't understand the 'surprise' of seeing Christian near any of the deceased animals...it's something he is to grow up with, familiarise with and most probably partake in as an adult.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Well, traditions change, also those of royals...especially now the public is watching them more closely then ever. I mean, we could say that having mistresses is a tradition for royal and aritocratic men, still we can see in Britain how the public reacts to such a ´tradition´.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Is it any worse than taking a child into a butcher's shop? that is full of dead animals too.
thing is, if they hunt and then consume, i.e. <eat> the animal, then, well, fine. Humans are carnivores after all.
So those deer that were shot in this hunt, well, they indeed will probably end up at the dinner table in one palace or other.

What does disturb me is that dead fox on the grass they decided to shoot. What's the point of that?! Don't tell me they're going to eat it, cause they're not.
Use the fur perhaps? With all the modern technologies that are going into clothing, fur like that's hardly needed. So for that, shame on fred and his fam. for this waste of an animal.

Because the rule should be, you shoot it, you eat it. use it. All of it.

But these people shot that fox just for the hell of it and that sets a bad example for the rest of us at best.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
There are plenty of very exclusive hunting lodges and properties across the US where you would not find a redneck - unless they worked the grounds. Definitively part of the more "land-owner" aristocracy than generally assumed.
I wouldn't call hunting "exclusive" either. Last weekend a three male friends of mine went bird hunting in north central Florida on one of their grandfather's property. They are all average middle-class Americans, neither rich nor poor(aka rednecks).
Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
These hunts are a part of European culture and a tradition within elite/aristocratic society. I don't understand the 'surprise' of seeing Christian near any of the deceased animals...it's something he is to grow up with, familiarise with and most probably partake in as an adult.
My in-laws in rural France hunt, indeed. With the purpose of using the deer/hog/whatever animal they shoot - i.e. eating it, and all of it, even the head and brain. What they DON'T condone is just shooting an animal for the heck of it, like Fred & party did with that fox. That's just a waste.
(Off topic, this reminds me of a recent article I read that Fred's prone to receiving cars from manufacturers! If true, that's pure and simple corruption! Hope it's not true, if it is, that would be food for another thread!)
Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

So essentially shock the crap outta of the kid now instead of later, right? Blood, guts, and broken necks galore. Eh, he won't mind...

I don't agree with the whole hunting thing, but it's tradition, so what are you going to do. Nobody in Denmark seems to mind, and I haven't heard of any uproars about it like what happened in England several years ago. So why change?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Aristocracy

According to the Hunting Association in Denmark these animals are allowed to be hunt in Denmark. It also mentioned the seasons and the amount .
http://img143.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_644lo.JPG

Also are mentioned are the socio-economic profile of hunter in Denmark, age group, gender, the rules and etc,etc.
http://www.face-europe.org/huntingin...denmark.en.pdf

The website for The Hunting Association in Europe with links to all the Hunting association in all the countries in Europe eg. Sweden, Norway, Holland, Belgium, UK, Spain,etc

Welcome at FACE Europe
Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Nice picture of Mary & Carina

Besties

(Picture Desk)
Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Nice picture of Mary & Carina

Besties

(Picture Desk)
thats a lovely photo of the the two ladies. Its nice seeing Carina with the family.

Caption from IBL: PrinceHenrik and Crown PrinceFrederik participated in the yearly Royal Hunt at Fredensborg Castle. Crown Princess Mary arrived in the afternoon with PrinceChristian after visiting the National Museum of arts and having Lunch with the ladies.
and a few IBL pictures
pic 1 -- pic 2 -- Queen & Mary -- pic 4 -- Queen M
Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Heir Apparent

lovely picture: http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...h/12177699.jpg

it's nice to know carina and mary get along well. we just needed marie to complete the picture!

Quote:
Crown Princess Mary arrived in the afternoon with PrinceChristian after visiting the National Museum of arts and having Lunch with the ladies.
i wonder who they mean by the ladies? carina and the queen?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all

Tags
royal hunt at fredensborg