The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Although the hunt may have a benificial effect indeed, I think that in this case it is clear that the hunt is mainly for fun and tradition.

Are there any protests in Denmark about it? In my own country the RF has been critisized and protesters tried to distrub the hunt or tried to protest close to the RF (which never succeeded AFAIK). Still, I believe the RF continues to hunt, but out of the eye of the camera.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Although the hunt may have a benificial effect indeed, I think that in this case it is clear that the hunt is mainly for fun and tradition.

Are there any protests in Denmark about it? In my own country the RF has been critisized and protesters tried to distrub the hunt or tried to protest close to the RF (which never succeeded AFAIK). Still, I believe the RF continues to hunt, but out of the eye of the camera.
No, there are no protests at all. It's not an issue.

In fact hunting is shown on prime time TV. (A programme called: Nak og æd = Whack and eat, is shown right now on Sundays).

The hunting and preservation associations in fact work closely together.

Oddly enough, I think the DRF would be severely critizied if they tried to hunt, hiding away from the cameras.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Courtier

In addition to that, the DRF uses the meat from the hunt. Venison (deer meat) is regularly listed on Danish royal menus...it was also served at the wedding banquet of the Crown Princely Couple.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Prince Henrik, Prince Joachim, Prince Richard and Prince Gustav participated in the hunt at the Grib
forest and attended the hunting banquet at Fredensborg Palace today, November 22.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

This evening, Queen Margrethe, Prince Felix and Prince Nikolai were present as well:

** ppe gallery ** belga gallery ** sn.dk gallery **
Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 AM
Aristocracy

and marie?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Marie has not been present. Here's one more gallery.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love Prince Henrik's outfit! No Christian or Isabella?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Thursday and December has hit us and Billed Bladet is out.
And what treats do we have this week?

There is the Australia vist, which is covered massively. - Thas been posted.

In the Q&A we have something about the Flora Danica set, which was a wedding present for M&F.
(I might take it if a moderator will guide me as to where to post it).

Princess Benedikte went to Gustavskirken (church) in Copenhagen and told us a bit about Christmas in Berleburg.

We have some background info on the recipeint of the Cross of Valour, which was presented for the first time recently, but as it isn't specifically about the DRF I'll probably omit it.

And this.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2011.
Nikolai og Felix til farfars jagt - Nikolai and Felix to (paternal) grandfather's hunt.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

The royal in Gribskov near Fredensborg is the grandest of the hunts of the season and it traditionally ends with a grand dinner at Fredensborg.

This year Nikolai and Felix went to see the game parade, with torches, and horns blowing in honour of the game.
Nikolai and Felix shook hands with and thanked the helpers at the hunt. QMII were also present with her grandsons.
47 animals had been shot.

Eighteen hunters and their wives had been invited for the dinner, along with a few "soup-hunters", who didn't taka part in the actual hunt.
There is no dancing afterwards, instead they play bridge.
Among the hunters were Prince Richard of Berleburg who had fallen at home and apparantly broken his little finger.
Prince Gustav was there and so was Prince Georg Friedrich of Preussia, who in an alternative world would be Emperor of Germany.

Now, while the menfolks go hunting the ladies go on an excursion, usually to see some cultural events or exhibition. Normally QMII is leading the whole show, but she joined the party later, she had to attend her ballet class. (*)
Princess Benedikte and Carina Axelsson were amon the ladies. Our Marie was not there. (**)

(*) It's beneficial for her in general and her knees in particular, so I guess she attends her ballet whenever at all possible.

(**) Perhaps she was on the job or had opted to stay clear. It is known that QMII can get exited about some cultural subjects and talk at length about that. - Going nerd... Alas, QMII is the alpha-female, so you tag along, no matter how limited your enthusiasm is.

Okay, I know this is a controversial subject. I don't hunt myself but as I see it there is a need to cull the population of deers, to prevent overpopulation. - Or nature will "cull" the population the hard way.
The surplus animals can't migrate, so the alternative to shooting some of them is:
A) Desease.
B) Predation. - More animals get run over by cars in their search for food.
C) Starvation. - All of them starve! As I understand it starving is unpleasant and it's the weak, old and youngest who die first, but all the animals starve.

Some times elks from Sweden try to swim across to DK, usually due to overpopulation. Most drown and the very few who make it almost invaribly die from exhaustion, or stress when they discover that DK is heavily populated.

The animals who have been shot, belongs to the state, and the hunters have to pay for them if they want deer on the dinner table.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Marie has not been present. Here's one more gallery.
I couldn't be present for that either. Although I eat meat, I could not tolerate the sight of all those dead animals.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Henrik and CP Frederik at the Royal Hunt in Gribskov today, November 26, 2012.
PPE pictures PPE Agency
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

With the greatest respect, Prince Henrik looks as if he's about to star in a Christmas pantomime (a very OTT 'play' put on for children in the UK at this time of year) as one of the panto dames. He's almost beyond parody at this point.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Courtier

Yes he is a loveable character. It looks very dark is it perhaps late evening or very early morning.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

The hunt has started this morning at 8 am!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Billed Bladet has more on the hunt, the grandest of the year. Billed-Bladet - Prins Henrik vært ved kongejagt

The Regent Couple host this hunt and Frederik along with seventeen Danish and foreign guests went hunting.
At 17.00 (in two hours from now) there will be a traditional game parade and later on a lavish dinner at Fredensborg.

While the menfolks go hunting QMII is host for the ladies and that usually means they'll go see something cultural - with QMII as a sometimes very enthusiastic tour guide!

There are I understand, basically two schools of hunting, the modern and the traditional.

Very simply explained. The modern school, which Frederik belongs to, are in for the experience, to becoming immersed in the surrounding nature. As such they usually wear elaborate camuflage.

Then there is the traditional school, which Prince Henrik belongs to (I don't think he actually went hunting this year). To them hunting is a gentleman's sport with traditions that must be adhered to. And that requires appropriate hunting attire, befitting a gentleman, like plus fours.
Using a hunting horn is a must, the same thing with the game parade. It is almost a sacrilidge not to honor the animals by parading them, admiring them and play for them on the horns.
To them being caught wearing a feather in your hat from a bird you haven't shot means total disgrace.

According to the news the other day, hunting is a very popular sport here in DK, the number of people who have acquired a licence to hunt has gone up by 40 %. Ironically the sport has grown in popularity among those who live in the major cities, rather than among those of us who live in the rural districts. - As a curiosum I can add that we have a hedge in our backyard, not because of privacy but to keep the deers out of the garden in the early mornings. Leading our dog to go berserk and waking the entire house.
That happened occasionally the first couple of years we lived here until the hedge grew high enough.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

The Regent Couple host this hunt and Frederik along with seventeen Danish and foreign guests went hunting.
At 17.00 (in two hours from now) there will be a traditional game parade and later on a lavish dinner at Fredensborg.

Here are the pics of the "results" this evening, as always not for the faint-hearted animal lovers...

** sn.dk gallery: Stor kongejagt i Grib Skov **

But nevertheless nice to see, there were some royal guests this year: the Duke of Vendome with his son
and the Duchess of Castro can be seen on some of the pics here:

galleri.tv2.dk: Vildtparade i Fredensborg Slotsgård **
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

A proud mom
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

NO Mary, Joachim , Marie and their children . Well done poor deers !
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
NO Mary, Joachim , Marie and their children . Well done poor deers !
I think Joachim went last year with Nikolai and Felix, I remember N &F.
Mary has gone in the past but i guess not this year. also Christian has made an appearance or two
Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Here are some additional pics - although we've of course seen enough of the deers..

** kongehuset.dk: Kongejagt i Grib Skov **

** pp: Jean d'Orléans : Avec son fils Gaston, 3 ans, à la chasse du prince Henrik **
Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Billed Bladet #48, 2012.

Has some coverage of the royal hunt and it went ahead as usual.

Prince Henrik was dressed "cheerfully" as the article puts it, but he needed the support of the Royal Master of Hunts, Jens Bjerregaard Christensen, when he walked down the stairs at Fredensborg.

41 animals were shot this year. The only dachshound present was Helike, QMII's dog, however PH said: "But I hope to have a new one soon".

While the gentlemen were out hunting, QMII took the ladies out on cultural outing, complete with a lunch.
And if you think that means shopping, nah, you couldn't be more wrong! Not with QMII as hostess.
She took the ladies to a tour of the shop of Georg Jensen, where they admired the work of the craftsmen there. Then the highlight of the day, an exhibition with the French painter Berthe Morisot. - (Based on QMII's general reputation and not least in connection with these outings, I would expect her to be able to give a fifteen minutes lecture on each painting - without repeating herself).
Then the ladies joined the gentlemen for a well-deserved two hour lunch, before they all walked out for the game parade.

In the evening it was time for the great gala dinner and here Mary joined the party. Complete with dancers entertaining and a game of bridge for those who are addicted to that until late in the evening.

Tags
royal hunt at fredensborg