The Royal Hunt: 2003, 2005-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're going to hunt animals to feed your family, I get that, but displaying the corpses like spoils of war is appallingly barbaric. It's great that the meat is going to be used and therefore it's not killing for the sake of killing, but just take the deer to wherever it will be dressed and take care of it then. Don't lay out the dead animals on the front lawn for everyone to gawk at. I agree that children should know where the food they eat comes from, whether it's lettuce or a hamburger, but there are other, less grotesque ways of educating them about the sources of their food.

You can keep some aspects of this tradition alive while ditching others.
I agree with you! This practice, or "tradition" as some might call it, has really fallen out of the time we are living in! Presenting dead corpses of innocent animals is barbaric indeed and should be something of a more violent past!

Last edited:
That's not how the hunters see it.

The game parade is meant to show respect for the animals. - Considerably more respect than pigs in a slaughterhouse are offered.

I don't believe hunting, or in this case culling, is something that should be hidden away as though it was something shameful.
It is much more shameful not to cull the animals and let them starve to death instead. It's the weak, old and bambis who die first.

So people may sit in the cities and feel good about animals not being culled, but those of us who live in the countryside we see the result of that. By mid winter the deer are so desperate they start finding food along the highways and roads - and are hit, but not always killed right away, by the most dangerous predator in DK: The car.
Or being so desperate they walk into gardens to find food there, only to be bitten by dogs, because they are too weak to defend themselves.
But why not lay food out for them, some may ask. Because it makes no difference. The strong animals will eat all they can and chase away the weaker animals. There is no sharing in nature.

So what is better?
Live a normal deer-life in the forests and suddenly die.
Or let nature keep the population down, the hard way, with disease and starvation.

I wonder when Prince Christian will join the Royal Hunt. Do you need to be 18 to do that in Denmark?

You have to be sixteen in order to pass a test to get your hunting license and be registered as a hunter. Without a license no hunting. Without a license you will have big problems buying ammunition and weapons for hunting.
You have to renew your license at least every ten years and if you are convicted of a more serious crime (mainly what we personfarlig kriminalitet = various forms of assault and such) you may lose your license.
Or if you do not transport, store or handle your weapons safely or according to the legislation (I.e moved in a locked transport box and stored in a gun-safe at home.) then you can lose not only your weapons but also your license.

A little more than 1 % of the population are registered as having a hunting license.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game parade is meant to show respect for the animals. - Considerably more respect than pigs in a slaughterhouse are offered.

One, no one is or has compared how animals are killed in slaughterhouses to hunting. No one with a working brain thinks the environment in slaughterhouses is humane. Two, Native Americans show a lot of respect for animals they kill for food and other needs without laying out the carcasses like a museum exhibit. They say prayers to their gods for the bounty of the land, and they send a prayer in thanks to the animal for giving up their life so that their people could have food or shelter (in the case of the hide).

I don't believe hunting, or in this case culling, is something that should be hidden away as though it was something shameful.
It is much more shameful not to cull the animals and let them starve to death instead. It's the weak, old and bambis who die first.

I don't think hunting or fishing to provide food for your family or your community is shameful, but the people I know who hunt deer or other game to provide fresh meat for their families throughout the winter don't arrange the remains on their front lawns for everyone to stand around and smile at. That is revolting. I'm sorry, but it is. You kill the deer, you take them to wherever they're going to be field dressed, then you put the meat into storage. Same goes for fish or wild boars or moose or elk or whatever other animals can legally be hunted in your area.

As I said, I'm all for children understanding where their food comes from and that there is a circle of life on this planet that all living beings take part in, but there is a way to impart that knowledge to a child that doesn't involve them standing around looking at a macabre modern art installation.

Thought I'd get a reaction. ;)

Two things.

The tradition and rituals help weed out the trigger-happy types who are reckless or just want to whack as many animals as possible.
Because these traditions instill a sense of belonging, a code of conduct, respect for nature and the animals and a sense of honor into new hunters - and not least it's a part of the total experience where (perhaps) shooting an animal is only a part of it.
Your entire status in the hunting community depends on how you adhere to and respect these traditions.
Those who don't respect the written and unwritten rules tend to be shunned by the hunters, in some cases actually reported (and my lose their license) and they don't get invited to the attractive events.

There may also be a kind of pagan-touch in this as well. Post-hunt rituals being ancient.

So I firmly believe there is a real danger of reducing hunting to a blood-sport where the aim is to blast as many animals as possible, if these traditions are abolished.

The second thing is: The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
In other words what seems like a benign thing to do, may cause more harm than good.
I illustrated it very graphically in my last post.
Seals. In many places seals are left alone to breed freely and being cute animals they are not culled. But seals are also brilliant hunters who can hoover a fjord of fish in a surprisingly short while.
Gulls. It's not allowed to cull gulls here. And gulls are world class opportunists. So having lost their fear of humans they don't hesitate in going straight for your face in order to steal your food.
But crows, one of the most intelligent animals on the planet (perhaps the most intelligent) are widely considered a vermin - not least because they eat eggs from other and cuter birds.

So culling and hunting and rituals is not black and white, so I object to calling something wrong because some aspects seems wrong to some people.
I think it's better to discuss the methods.

Example: Pilot whales being hunted at Faeroe Islands.
Traditionally that was a vital part of diet for the islanders, especially if the fishing went wrong.
It's still an important part of the diet. And Pilot Whales are sorta-dolphin like and cute - they are also good hunters, not least when hunting in packs.
So the islands hunt them, beach them and kill them with long knives.
- Fair enough I personally can't have any qualms about a number of Pilot Whales being hunted - but I do not like the methods! Today it should be possible to kill the whales faster and more humane so to speak than by using knives.
Pilot whales like pigs are pretty intelligent animals, it should and must be possible to kill both species in as humane way as possible.

ADDED: And as for hunting: I do believe bow-hunting should be banned. A rifle is better and more humane alternative. And I object to telescopic sights being "less sport" than iron sights. That's bull dust! You kill the animal as fast and as efficient as possible or you don't shoot.

Last edited:
As a proud peasant (and pescatarian) all I can say is that people who don't hunt and have never shot an animal would be well served to just not talk about hunting and shooting animals.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Ain't that the truth...

PS: Iron sights or nothing.
PS2: There's no longer any justification for the massacre of Pilot whales in the Faeroe Islands, they have plenty of supermarkets full of imported goods from Denmark.

Last edited:
Queen Margrethe is hosting the royal hunt in Gribskov today, November 18.

Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Gustav were seen attending this morning:

** kongehuset gallery **

** BB: God stemning på Fredensborg Slot: Kronprins Frederik i perfekt selskab fra morgenstunden **

Meanwhile the ladies including Queen Margrethe, Crown Princess Mary, Princess Carina and other wives attended a private lunch and tour at the Karen Blixen Museum:

** instagram post ** BB article: Mens Frederik var på jagt: Det lavede dronning Margrethe og kronprinsesse Mary privat med veninderne **

Last edited:
The grand hunt that ends with a big dinner in the evening. I suppose we can expect to see Mary later on.

The list of attendees is telling:
Prince Gustav of Berleburg - nice to see him around. Perhaps Carina will join later as well.
Peter Heering - close friend of M&F, we may expect to see his wife later as well.
Anders Holch-Pouvlsen - A now close friend of M&F and one of, if not the richest man in DK (even counting the LEGO family). He owns several percent of Scotland! It was he, who a few years ago lost three out of four children in a terrorist attack in Sri Lanka. You may recall that M&F and their children took part in the funeral.
Jørgen Skeel. - The Skeel family also belongs to the inner circle around the DRF. Old nobility.
Christoffer Knuth, Old nobility.
Baron von Baumbach - don't who that is. Sounds German.
Baron Philip von Malsen-Plessen - that name rings a bell.
Fritz Shur - wealthy businessman. Now belongs to the close circle around the DRF. He handles the finances and investments of at least QMII - probably M&F as well. Taking over after the death of Mærsk McKinney Møller.

As a proud peasant (and pescatarian) all I can say is that people who don't hunt and have never shot an animal would be well served to just not talk about hunting and shooting animals.

Ain't that the truth...
LOl... are you serious...??:lol:

That's not how the hunters see it.

Well, that hunters have a different opinion on this is only natural. I´m not a radical animal rights activist, but you cannot justify one wrong (the poor animals in the slaughter house, animal transport etc.) with another one (dead deer corpses being somewhat "staged" for a photo shoot after a hunt)! And no, presenting animals that way after they´ve been shot is not a sign of respect towards these poor creatures, but a sign of showing off of the human species...
And I do find it highly contradictory doing everything and perhaps even spoiling once pet dogs, while at the other hand shooting wild animals. As this is an almost political issue, I´m very much surprised the danish royal family, which I do respect, gets away with this these days in Denmark!
I guess, if members of the BRF, for instance, still would stage an old hunting habit like this, they´d be grilled publicly!

I´m very much surprised the danish royal family, which I do respect, gets away with this these days in Denmark!
I guess, if members of the BRF, for instance, still would stage an old hunting habit like this, they´d be grilled publicly!

Oh, come on! The British Royal Family has for Germanic eyes its own nasty habits and nobody would ever make a fuss about it here!

Prince Harry did spear a little antelope. And the Royal Family has been even killing animals on a regular basis at Christmas with their shootings of pheasants.

Unthinkable in Germany and probably in Denmark too to celebrate Christmas by shooting und hunting around!

It seems the one whom hunting and posing next to the dead animal hurt most in the public opinion was king Juan Carlos of Spain. Everything else ceases in comparison.

Did they invite Royals as in the past ?

It is organized by the royals... So, they invite the others and not the other way around.

Did they invite Royals as in the past ?
I saw a few nobles, but no royal except Rickard Berleburg. I remember that the Duke and Duchess of Castro was invited a few years ago and I think some Prince of Bourbon-Parma.

It seems the one whom hunting and posing next to the dead animal hurt most in the public opinion was king Juan Carlos of Spain. Everything else ceases in comparison.

That was an elephant in a foreign country with his mistress when unemployment in Spain was almost at 25%. Not exactly the same thing.

I'm not sure there's anyone in the DRF who would shoot something endangered, not something that's being culled.

That was an elephant in a foreign country with his mistress when unemployment in Spain was almost at 25%. Not exactly the same thing.

I'm not sure there's anyone in the DRF who would shoot something endangered, not something that's being culled.

Exactly, so the only real outrage so far has been in this case. In other cases, it seems there are some murmers (at least in the Netherlands) but it pales in comparison.

Here is a mini-bio of the guests at this the grandest royal hunt of the year: https://www.bt.dk/royale/to-milliar...se-adelige-her-er-kronprinsens-jagtkammerater

The BT guy is writing about them belonging to the elite and the inner circle of the DRF. Yeah, well, there's a shocker.

This hunt has always been a parade of who belongs to the inner circle of the DRF - and who happens to be proficient hunters and being interested in hunting. As well as a few invited royal and noble guests.
That's part of the royal show, you don't invite just anybody to a royal hunt, and in particular not to this hunt.
Royal traditions by their very nature tend to be conservative and sometimes have to be conservative. That means they don't invite say two Smurfs, just to be seen to be inclusive.
- I should think that would be obvious for a tabloid like BT, headed by a well-versed self-proclaimed royal expert...

- This hunt in particular includes a game parade, if you like I will describe what goes on, why things happen and what they do. I do however believe I have done that previously in this thread.

Here is a mini-bio of the guests at this the grandest royal hunt of the year: https://www.bt.dk/royale/to-milliar...se-adelige-her-er-kronprinsens-jagtkammerater

The BT guy is writing about them belonging to the elite and the inner circle of the DRF. Yeah, well, there's a shocker.

This hunt has always been a parade of who belongs to the inner circle of the DRF - and who happens to be proficient hunters and being interested in hunting. As well as a few invited royal and noble guests.
That's part of the royal show, you don't invite just anybody to a royal hunt, and in particular not to this hunt.
Royal traditions by their very nature tend to be conservative and sometimes have to be conservative. That means they don't invite say two Smurfs, just to be seen to be inclusive.
- I should think that would be obvious for a tabloid like BT, headed by a well-versed self-proclaimed royal expert...

- This hunt in particular includes a game parade, if you like I will describe what goes on, why things happen and what they do. I do however believe I have done that previously in this thread.

Thanks Muhler. I see B.T.'s self-appointed royal expert is doing his best to make himself happen again.

I do wonder about the change re the game parade this year. Apparently, it is taking place in the forest with no press access. Has that ever happened before?

I saw a few nobles, but no royal except Rickard Berleburg. I remember that the Duke and Duchess of Castro was invited a few years ago and I think some Prince of Bourbon-Parma.

The Grand Duke of Luxembourg, the Duke of Vendome, now Comte de Paris

Thanks Muhler. I see B.T.'s self-appointed royal expert is doing his best to make himself happen again.

I do wonder about the change re the game parade this year. Apparently, it is taking place in the forest with no press access. Has that ever happened before?

Not that I know of. :ermm:

I don't like hunting poor animals for sports and bragging, but I understand if they are used for food. I mean, I'm having steaks tonight.
Here in the States, and from what I read in New York, hunting and fishing is very regulated by agencies to serve control the wildlife population. It's limited to certain times of the year, have rules on gender of the animal, age etc. There are side businesses to hunting like people that do the cleaning and cutting, and even for storage. Our handyman hunts one deer or two per year and that provides his family and his mother and father in-law meat to last for a year.

He cooked some for us in the summer when he finished a job and we celebrated with a BBQ. It tasted disgusting.

So as long as is for food, go ahead Frederick. Just stay with birds and don't do anything crazy like your cousin King Juan Carlos did, that elephant was his downfall.

Crown Prince Frederik hosted the Royal Hunt at Gribskov today, November 16.

** instagram gallery **

Queen Margrethe will host the traditional hunting table at Fredensborg Castle this evening.

Hardly surprised.

The weather forecast said that that there could be a little snow today.
It's not particularly cold today, not even below minus, but it's what we call "water-cold".
Coastal climate so the cold can feel more cold that it really is and on days like this it feels like the cold seeps into your bones. A dry minus 10 C doesn't feel as cold.

Hardly surprised.

The weather forecast said that that there could be a little snow today.
It's not particularly cold today, not even below minus, but it's what we call "water-cold".
Coastal climate so the cold can feel more cold that it really is and on days like this it feels like the cold seeps into your bones. A dry minus 10 C doesn't feel as cold.

Here in Southern California we got rain yesterday. I say winter has arrived ;)

another picture of Frederik at the Royal Hunt
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-nu-skal-kronprins-frederik-skaale-alle-brave

guest list
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...n-kronprins-frederik-omgivet-af-store-kanoner

and more photos
https://www.herognu.dk/kongelige/se-billederne-kronprins-frederiks-herretur-i-gribskov/1085841

More info on those who participated in yesterday's hunt
https://www.bt.dk/royale/nye-danske-rigmaend-med-i-kronprinsens-inderkreds-her-er-de-eksklusive

The guest lists are always studied with great care, because it's basically a list of who is in should Frederik become king tomorrow and also the DRF is getting some heat for rubbing shoulders with the rich and most influential in DK.
They always have, so there is little news in that.

Bendt Wedell, belongs to the innermost circle around M&F. The Wedell family is nobility and very wealthy.

Kim and Michael Brockenhuus-Schack. Old nobility. Schackenborg belonged to a branch of the Schack, but no one wanted the run down old place, so Joachim got it.

Peter Vagn Jensen is new on the list. Very wealthy. I know next to nothing about him. - Which may be one of the reasons why he was invited.

Anders Holck Povlsen, the wealthiest person in DK. A close friend of M&F. He owns several percent of Scotland! - I think he is replacing the businessman Fritz Schur who was not present and that he is or will manage the personal economy and investments of M&F.

The omnipresent noble Moltke family was also present. They also belong to close circles around M&F.

Another new name is Anders Obel. He may not be much known in Copenhagen, but he is in Jutland. Very old money! Very discreet.

Another discreet and very wealthy Jutlander is Arnold Busck. He owns an empire of bookstores, both antique and over the counter books. He sits in a number of boards.

Another new name is Axel Castenschiold, nobility. Owns an estate. The family is not unknown to the DRF, having supplied ladies-in-waiting.

And then Otto Reedtz-Thott, he and his wife belongs to the innermost circle around M&F. His wife, Helle Reedtz-Thott may very well be Mary's very first trusted friend in DK. No doubt still is. Helle Reedtz-Thott not only has the looks of the two but also the brains. She is blindingly intelligent!

Crown Prince Frederik hosted the Royal Hunt at Gludsted Plantage this morning, November 21:

** tt.se gallery **

When will P. Christian be old enough to join in the hunts? Looking back at this topic it looks like he attended as a child but not recently

Back
Top Bottom