The Royal Hunt: 2003, 2005-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lookin at the picts it's really shameful and condemnable to show a young kid how to kill. It's enough to see the happy face of Christian for whom this whole custom is a nice attraction. :ohmy:
Mary shouldn't have taken him with her. :whistling:

Le prince Christian de Danemark, 5 ans, découvrait mardi 16 novembre 2010 le butin de la chasse

It's possible that Mary has no say in whether Christian goes or not to this event. It may be expected that he attend. Not saying I like it, but just saying it might be out of her hands.

His father and grandparents were there as well. Why does it come down to Mary?

I'm not keen on seing the results of a hunt either - but that is basically because I am a coward and prefer to pretend that I don't know where meat comes from :cool: However - I believe that it would be more detrimental for a child at Christian's age to visit a modern farm and watch how chicken, pigs, calves etc. are kept in too confined spaces than it is to watch dead animals which have had a way better life than the animals we slaughter for our food.
I don't like the parade of dead animals - because I'm a coward - but I cannot call it shameful or anything like that. A truckload of animals being transported across Europe for slaughter, now that is shameful!

Well said Userdane - many people eat meat but do not know, or even worse, do not want to know how the meat happens to get onto their plates, very often in a disgraceful way for the animals involved.

Imo there is no better way to understand the basic way of the food chain than hunting, if its being done the proper way of course. The animal gets shot, opened (parts are left for foxes etc), I can understand the discussion about putting it on display but this is tradition, after that it is being dismantelled and then it would be ready for eating.

I see nothing wrong for a child to witness this process, of course unless it is done in a proper basic way what is not glorifying the kill. Hunting is so much more than just killing an animal and it should never be done for fun, its about learning to understand nature and nurturing or looking after the forest.

Imo there is no better way to understand the basic way of the food chain than hunting, if its being done the proper way of course. The animal gets shot, opened (parts are left for foxes etc), I can understand the discussion about putting it on display but this is tradition, after that it is being dismantelled and then it would be ready for eating.

I see nothing wrong for a child to witness this process, of course unless it is done in a proper basic way what is not glorifying the kill. Hunting is so much more than just killing an animal and it should never be done for fun, its about learning to understand nature and nurturing or looking after the forest.

Yes, there are two schools of thought among hunters to put it very simple.

The old school or the traditionalists who view hunting as an ancient sport with many rituals, which they try to preserve and pass on.
To them hunting is a genleman activity, even down to dressing appropriatly. We tend to make a little fun of Prince Henrik's attire, but just 40 years ago his attire would not have been out of the ordinary. - You showed respect for the hunt and your fellow hunters by dressing properly.
The game parade is also something the traditionalists put a lot of emphasis on. You honor the animals by placing them on twigs and having the buglars blow a tune in honor of the game, not the hunters.
The same thing about leaving a piece of the game for a fox or similar scavenger. All those rituals have a meaning.

Then there is the modern school of hunters. You can almost see it in the way they dress. Often in full camuflage gear. For them it's not the kill that is most important, it's the immersion into the nature, to feel like a part of the nature. To stalk and observe the prey. Frederik belongs to this school. He is also a licensed bow-hunter, which is very difficult to get.
To them the traditional rituals are secondary to the feeling of enjoying the nature.

This is not a defence of hunting, but an explanation.

Last edited:
It's possible that Mary has no say in whether Christian goes or not to this event. It may be expected that he attend. Not saying I like it, but just saying it might be out of her hands.
Yes, you're right. That's very likely to be true as men have usually more to say than women when it comes to hunts...

I'm not thrilled about hunting especially for sport, I think that's shameful. Hunting to provide meat for a person and family I can understand fully. For everyone's sake I won't even get into animals raised for commercial meat. I have a question, the animals that are taken in the Royal hunt, are they given to locals or kept to provide meat for the Royals or locals? I think this has been asked and answered before as I now write so I apologize for a repeat.

I'm not trying to make trouble, but there have been more pics of Fred looking quite unwell, than well lately - just my opinion. I'm a bit worried about him, if it's a cold, they last only about a week don't they? What about the last few months?

I'm not trying to make trouble, but there have been more pics of Fred looking quite unwell, than well lately - just my opinion. I'm a bit worried about him, if it's a cold, they last only about a week don't they? What about the last few months?

You make a good point, Greenways.

Greenways I am inclined to agree with you. I first noticed Fred's gaunt look when he went to Greenland for the funeral, then with the Hubertus Hunt and now with the hunt a couple of days ago. It could be that he went on a weight loss program but something is amiss. Perhaps it's time for him to get rid of the beard.

Then again, I have a brother-in-law who suffered severe nausea, fainting spells, terrible toothache and general poor health every time his wife was pregnant so who knows Fred might be feeling and experiencing all the symptoms that come with a pregnancy.

Greenways I am inclined to agree with you. I first noticed Fred's gaunt look when he went to Greenland for the funeral, then with the Hubertus Hunt and now with the hunt a couple of days ago. It could be that he went on a weight loss program but something is amiss. Perhaps it's time for him to get rid of the beard.

Then again, I have a brother-in-law who suffered severe nausea, fainting spells, terrible toothache and general poor health every time his wife was pregnant so who knows Fred might be feeling and experiencing all the symptoms that come with a pregnancy.

I wonder if you are right.
Frederik looked great in the pictures from his recent interview with Billed Bladet, when he was in Athens.
He looked healthy and very fresh in the pictures in the article.

Crown Princess Margarita of Romania and her husband Radu also attended the hunt: Vizit

Other guests were prince Wilhelm of Schaumburg-Lippe and the Fürst and Fürstin of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg. The füstin is née Princess Anastasia of Prussia.

Source: Stig at the SRMB.

Little Christian looked so adorable! I suppose Isabella is too small for this still.
It is the image that shocks me! To see the face of the animal, to hunt just for sport, not to hunt to eat, not hunting because they need to eat to be alive. That's how nature must be and to me it doesn't sound like it is the case.
No Christian should't be there to see that inappropriate show

It is the image that shocks me! To see the face of the animal, to hunt just for sport, not to hunt to eat, not hunting because they need to eat to be alive. That's how nature must be and to me it doesn't sound like it is the case.

How do you know the hunt was done for sport and the meet will not be distributed and eaten? In addition, hunting controls animal population to the benefit of the forest and its inhabitants.

If hunt is being done properly and for the right reasons, I think its a great thing for Christian to be involved. What I find rather cruel is animal transport for slaughter and those royals who hunt protected animals just for the fun of it.

Deers of that size have no natural enemies in DK.

So the only thing to keep the population of deers down to a sustainable number apart from hunting are: Decease, hunger and cars.

Although the hunt may have a benificial effect indeed, I think that in this case it is clear that the hunt is mainly for fun and tradition.

Are there any protests in Denmark about it? In my own country the RF has been critisized and protesters tried to distrub the hunt or tried to protest close to the RF (which never succeeded AFAIK). Still, I believe the RF continues to hunt, but out of the eye of the camera.

Although the hunt may have a benificial effect indeed, I think that in this case it is clear that the hunt is mainly for fun and tradition.

Are there any protests in Denmark about it? In my own country the RF has been critisized and protesters tried to distrub the hunt or tried to protest close to the RF (which never succeeded AFAIK). Still, I believe the RF continues to hunt, but out of the eye of the camera.

No, there are no protests at all. It's not an issue.

In fact hunting is shown on prime time TV. (A programme called: Nak og æd = Whack and eat, is shown right now on Sundays).

The hunting and preservation associations in fact work closely together.

Oddly enough, I think the DRF would be severely critizied if they tried to hunt, hiding away from the cameras.

In addition to that, the DRF uses the meat from the hunt. Venison (deer meat) is regularly listed on Danish royal menus...it was also served at the wedding banquet of the Crown Princely Couple.

Prince Henrik, Prince Joachim, Prince Richard and Prince Gustav participated in the hunt at the Grib
forest and attended the hunting banquet at Fredensborg Palace today, November 22.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

This evening, Queen Margrethe, Prince Felix and Prince Nikolai were present as well:

** ppe gallery ** belga gallery ** sn.dk gallery **

Last edited:
I love Prince Henrik's outfit! No Christian or Isabella?

Thursday and December has hit us and Billed Bladet is out.
And what treats do we have this week?

There is the Australia vist, which is covered massively. - Thas been posted.

In the Q&A we have something about the Flora Danica set, which was a wedding present for M&F.
(I might take it if a moderator will guide me as to where to post it).

Princess Benedikte went to Gustavskirken (church) in Copenhagen and told us a bit about Christmas in Berleburg.

We have some background info on the recipeint of the Cross of Valour, which was presented for the first time recently, but as it isn't specifically about the DRF I'll probably omit it.

And this.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2011.
Nikolai og Felix til farfars jagt - Nikolai and Felix to (paternal) grandfather's hunt.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

The royal in Gribskov near Fredensborg is the grandest of the hunts of the season and it traditionally ends with a grand dinner at Fredensborg.

This year Nikolai and Felix went to see the game parade, with torches, and horns blowing in honour of the game.
Nikolai and Felix shook hands with and thanked the helpers at the hunt. QMII were also present with her grandsons.
47 animals had been shot.

Eighteen hunters and their wives had been invited for the dinner, along with a few "soup-hunters", who didn't taka part in the actual hunt.
There is no dancing afterwards, instead they play bridge.
Among the hunters were Prince Richard of Berleburg who had fallen at home and apparantly broken his little finger.
Prince Gustav was there and so was Prince Georg Friedrich of Preussia, who in an alternative world would be Emperor of Germany.

Now, while the menfolks go hunting the ladies go on an excursion, usually to see some cultural events or exhibition. Normally QMII is leading the whole show, but she joined the party later, she had to attend her ballet class. (*)
Princess Benedikte and Carina Axelsson were amon the ladies. Our Marie was not there. (**)

(*) It's beneficial for her in general and her knees in particular, so I guess she attends her ballet whenever at all possible.

(**) Perhaps she was on the job or had opted to stay clear. It is known that QMII can get exited about some cultural subjects and talk at length about that. - Going nerd... :p Alas, QMII is the alpha-female, so you tag along, no matter how limited your enthusiasm is.

Okay, I know this is a controversial subject. I don't hunt myself but as I see it there is a need to cull the population of deers, to prevent overpopulation. - Or nature will "cull" the population the hard way.
The surplus animals can't migrate, so the alternative to shooting some of them is:
A) Desease.
B) Predation. - More animals get run over by cars in their search for food.
C) Starvation. - All of them starve! As I understand it starving is unpleasant and it's the weak, old and youngest who die first, but all the animals starve.

Some times elks from Sweden try to swim across to DK, usually due to overpopulation. Most drown and the very few who make it almost invaribly die from exhaustion, or stress when they discover that DK is heavily populated.

The animals who have been shot, belongs to the state, and the hunters have to pay for them if they want deer on the dinner table.

Last edited:
Prince Henrik and CP Frederik at the Royal Hunt in Gribskov today, November 26, 2012.
PPE pictures PPE Agency

Last edited by a moderator:
With the greatest respect, Prince Henrik looks as if he's about to star in a Christmas pantomime (a very OTT 'play' put on for children in the UK at this time of year) as one of the panto dames. He's almost beyond parody at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes he is a loveable character. It looks very dark is it perhaps late evening or very early morning.

Billed Bladet has more on the hunt, the grandest of the year. Billed-Bladet - Prins Henrik vært ved kongejagt

The Regent Couple host this hunt and Frederik along with seventeen Danish and foreign guests went hunting.
At 17.00 (in two hours from now) there will be a traditional game parade and later on a lavish dinner at Fredensborg.

While the menfolks go hunting QMII is host for the ladies and that usually means they'll go see something cultural - with QMII as a sometimes very enthusiastic tour guide!

There are I understand, basically two schools of hunting, the modern and the traditional.

Very simply explained. The modern school, which Frederik belongs to, are in for the experience, to becoming immersed in the surrounding nature. As such they usually wear elaborate camuflage.

Then there is the traditional school, which Prince Henrik belongs to (I don't think he actually went hunting this year). To them hunting is a gentleman's sport with traditions that must be adhered to. And that requires appropriate hunting attire, befitting a gentleman, like plus fours.
Using a hunting horn is a must, the same thing with the game parade. It is almost a sacrilidge not to honor the animals by parading them, admiring them and play for them on the horns.
To them being caught wearing a feather in your hat from a bird you haven't shot means total disgrace.

According to the news the other day, hunting is a very popular sport here in DK, the number of people who have acquired a licence to hunt has gone up by 40 %. Ironically the sport has grown in popularity among those who live in the major cities, rather than among those of us who live in the rural districts. - As a curiosum I can add that we have a hedge in our backyard, not because of privacy but to keep the deers out of the garden in the early mornings. Leading our dog to go berserk and waking the entire house.
That happened occasionally the first couple of years we lived here until the hedge grew high enough.

Last edited:
The Regent Couple host this hunt and Frederik along with seventeen Danish and foreign guests went hunting.
At 17.00 (in two hours from now) there will be a traditional game parade and later on a lavish dinner at Fredensborg.

Here are the pics of the "results" this evening, as always not for the faint-hearted animal lovers...

** sn.dk gallery: Stor kongejagt i Grib Skov **

But nevertheless nice to see, there were some royal guests this year: the Duke of Vendome with his son
and the Duchess of Castro can be seen on some of the pics here:

galleri.tv2.dk: Vildtparade i Fredensborg Slotsgård **

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom