The Royal Hunt: 2003, 2005-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is Baroness Helle.

Thank you, Antonieta:flowers:. I couldn't recognize her in the photos. I wonder if Princess Benedikte and her family attended the hunt? It seems like they usually attend the hunt each year.

i loved this picture of mary stroking a dog from one of the persons walking about - she genuinely seems to care for animals.

These pictures disturbed me deeply. I know it´s "tradition" in many countries, I also know we eat meat and chicken, etc...but those poor animals, laying there and especially that child touching them. It made me very sad.

I agree, I'm deeply disturbed too. This is a very sensitve issue, perhaps the royal house should have a more moderate position about this and don't allow pictures of dead animals next to them be taken.

In a society that is deeply concerned over it's enviromental and ecologic impact over this Earth, the picture of a child watching dead animals is disturbing. Shouldn't we, the XXI people be teaching our children respect and love for all living things?. Just a thought, I DON'T WANT TO START A POLEMIC DISCUSSION ON THIS!!

What happens to this deers? Are they donated as food or something?. Do you know if the area is overpopulated with these animals?.Is any of the danish royals involved in animals rights patronages?.

I agree, I'm deeply disturbed too. This is a very sensitve issue, perhaps the royal house should have a more moderate position about this and don't allow pictures of dead animals next to them be taken.

In a society that is deeply concerned over it's enviromental and ecologic impact over this Earth, the picture of a child watching dead animals is disturbing. Shouldn't we, the XXI people be teaching our children respect and love for all living things?. Just a thought, I DON'T WANT TO START A POLEMIC DISCUSSION ON THIS!!

I completely agree with your comments. There are some traditions that should just be relegated to the past.

I think what's more disturbing to me is no only the killing of innocent animals for sport. But, taking pictures with them as they are your trophies and not lifeless animals that you killed. Also, the pictures of Prince Christian with the dead animals were truly disgusting.

Christian has grown up so much! Too bad Isabella was not there!

I completely agree with your comments. There are some traditions that should just be relegated to the past.

In France sometimes hunts are organized when there are too many deer (to protect crops) and also too many wild boars, who are dangerous for people when they are too numerous, when they cause accidents and destroy crops
it's not fun activity but this maintains a balance
maybe the same thing happens in Denmark

What happens to this deers? Are they donated as food or something?. Do you know if the area is overpopulated with these animals?.Is any of the danish royals involved in animals rights patronages?.

Hunting is part of responsible land management. Steak just doesn't appear on anyones plate out of nowhere. Animals are raised and killed for food one way or another.

Hunting is a way of life if you live on and/or own country property. If it is bothersome please don't open a thread that has "royal hunt" in the title.

Yeah I understand that, that is why I'm asking our Danish members if this animals are eaten or if there is overpopulation, something that might justify the killing of animals more than just a sport

I think many of us, with not such strong stomachs, didn't expect to see the images of the dead animals when we open the thread, but I'll keep your kind advice in mind

In France sometimes hunts are organized when there are too many deer (to protect crops) and also too many wild boars, who are dangerous for people when they are too numerous, when they cause accidents and destroy crops
it's not fun activity but this maintains a balance
maybe the same thing happens in Denmark

Maybe I should have made that clear, but I was talking about the tradition of hunting for sport/entertainment that should be relegated to the past. You are talking about hunting to maintain crops or maintain a balance. I didn't mention in my post that hunting for legitimate land management purposes should be stopped. Please don't misunderstand me.

I too think this is one 'royal' tradition that could go. Hunting for sport is a Far cry than hunting for food. Seeing the young prince 'in training' was quite odd. I know this is done, it is just not something I'm interested in. Next year when it is time for the 'royal hunt' I will remember not to open the thread!

Of all Mary's traditional duties, I think this one may be the most "cringeworthy" for her, judging by her face while looking at the dead animals.

I live in an area where hunting is a way of life (both for men and women, old and young) for all the reasons mentioned by other posters such as food, land management and recreation. Here its like a "right of passage" to go out with your father and hunt, so it appears the same for Frederik and Christian. This seems to be a family tradition for the Danish Royal Family. I respect their right to hunt and do as they please, maybe Im de-sentisized though.

BT has a nice photo gallery and here is some lovely pictures not posted before

I live in an area where hunting is a way of life (both for men and women, old and young) for all the reasons mentioned by other posters such as food, land management and recreation. Here its like a "right of passage" to go out with your father and hunt, so it appears the same for Frederik and Christian. This seems to be a family tradition for the Danish Royal Family. I respect their right to hunt and do as they please, maybe Im de-sentisized though.

I wasn't brought up around it really, and I have no issue with it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's not as if it's inhumane. It's a swift killing which is the way it should be.

i agree with both of you. it's also a disturbing image to me. it's a shame this practice is still carried out. i personally would not take my child to such thing, let alone let him touch the poor animals lying there for the sake of human entertainment. it's a cruel practice.

I think only vegetarians have the right to complain about hunting. Those deer probably had a better, freer life than the pigs, cows, chicken, that most people eat. They life in cages their whole life, those deer had a chance.
In some areas it is necessary to hunt as there are no natural predators anymore (bears, wolfes). The deer would become too many and starve in the winter.
And about Christian... He probably wasn't there during the hunt itself. Isn't it better he knows where food comes from and isn't estranged from nature?

Hunting has been a part of being royal for years, they have every night to do it and Christian has every right to go.
I love the picture of Frederik putting his hat on Christian. :flowers:

i agree with both of you. it's also a disturbing image to me. it's a shame this practice is still carried out. i personally would not take my child to such thing, let alone let him touch the poor animals lying there for the sake of human entertainment. it's a cruel practice.
Any child that has grown up on a farm is used to the way food is raised or hunted, killed and eaten. There is absolutely nothing cruel about it. The same goes for anyone involved in 4H or Future Farmers of America - I assume most countries has something similar for young people. Your pet pig is fed and cared for until it is time to be slaughtered for christmas ham.
It is not entertainment. Hunters go out in teams and may spread out over large areas. They don't know what the total result is for the day until all the animals are field dressed and brought back home. If it is just you and your family going hunting the kill may just be hung from a treelimbs - but you all still evaluate the result of the hunt.
Next time you eat a steak think about the life of the feed lot cattle it came from - that is cruelty.

I think only vegetarians have the right to complain about hunting. Those deer probably had a better, freer life than the pigs, cows, chicken, that most people eat. They life in cages their whole life, those deer had a chance.
In some areas it is necessary to hunt as there are no natural predators anymore (bears, wolfes). The deer would become too many and starve in the winter.
And about Christian... He probably wasn't there during the hunt itself. Isn't it better he knows where food comes from and isn't estranged from nature?

I soo agree with you. The area will be too populated if they æive and they would starve. I actually think that hunters are very cautious about the animals, to make sure they dont suffer.
I would really like all you beefeaters (my self included) to see how a farm cow or pig are being put to rest. Now thats brutal for me to see.
I cant see any fuss about Christian being there tbs. Its healthy he knows where things comes from, so he wont grow up thinking that chickens comes from the supermarket freezer.

I don't have an objection to hunting so long as the animal is killed cleanly and then not wasted. I come from a hunting family too, although I am not one of them (don't even like fishing). Our city has a TERRIBLE deer problem, and deer are a major problem on the roads... since we've gotten rid of their major predators, something has to be done to keep them in check (and hunting is probably less terrible to them than a pandemic disease or starvation). Hunters get a terrible rap from many people, but they are often the ones who are most supportive of our national and state parks and conservation societies.

Maybe I should have made that clear, but I was talking about the tradition of hunting for sport/entertainment that should be relegated to the past. You are talking about hunting to maintain crops or maintain a balance. I didn't mention in my post that hunting for legitimate land management purposes should be stopped. Please don't misunderstand me.
And why do you assume that the DRF hunts for sport/entertainment and not for legitimate land management?

And why do you assume that the DRF hunts for sport/entertainment and not for legitimate land management?

That was my assumption based on what I think a "ROYAL hunt" constitutes. Flipping the question back to you, why do you assume it was for legitimate land management purposes?

Since, neither of us were at the hunt, we can only "assume," and I can and so can you assume whichever way we like;)

My grandfather used to hunt too. It was normal for him. I never wanted to go with him. I always thought it was not right to kill animals. I don't like the pictures of Cristian with the dead animals. It's ok if the grown ups go hunting when it is their tradition. But they should not bring the child so close.
Well, but maybe they want the King of the Future to grow up with that, so he will continue the tradition later.
I don't know. Anyway, I don't like this tradition.

That was my assumption based on what I think a "ROYAL hunt" constitutes. Flipping the question back to you, why do you assume it was for legitimate land management purposes?

Since, neither of us were at the hunt, we can only "assume," and I can and so can you assume whichever way we like;)
Well, I guess we are all just assuming - unless we are taking the trouble of informing ourselves better and checking the facts. But unlike you I am not judging people or situations on the basis of mere assumptions.

My assumption (which btw is that they are probably hunting for both reasons: land management and entertainment) is based on the facts that they were hunting in the woods of Fredensborg (their land) and that DK has an overpopulation of wild animals.
Why do you think "royal hunt" means "sport/entertainment" only? For me it means the host is royal, that's all.

But for whatever reasons they hunt, I like the fact that the DRF is so open and "natural" about everything (smoking, hunts, stylists...). No "doing and denying/obscuring" here. And I like that - no matter whether I particularly like what they are doing or not.

The deer hunted in the royal forests are hunted for venison, a meat which is seen on many menus in the DRF. For example, venison was served at the wedding of the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark as can be seen at the following link:
The Danish Monarchy - Article
Roast Venison from the Royal Forests
Rissole Potatoes from Samsø
Peas à la Parisienne
Sauté Mushroom and Morel Sauce

Well, I guess we are all just assuming - unless we are taking the trouble of informing ourselves better and checking the facts. But unlike you I am not judging people or situations on the basis of mere assumptions.

My assumption (which btw is that they are probably hunting for both reasons: land management and entertainment) is based on the facts that they were hunting in the woods of Fredensborg (their land) and that DK has an overpopulation of wild animals.
Why do you think "royal hunt" means "sport/entertainment" only? For me it means the host is royal, that's all.

But for whatever reasons they hunt, I like the fact that the DRF is so open and "natural" about everything (smoking, hunts, stylists...). No "doing and denying/obscuring" here. And I like that - no matter whether I particularly like what they are doing or not.

Btw, what you have mentioned above are vague facts and I can base the following assumptions on them. Such as, is a royal hunt really so necessary? If there is an overabundance, can an overseer, as part of their duties not handle it swiftly? Is a royal hunt organized every year the only way to curb overabundance. I should think there might be other ways, some even cheaper than organizing a hunt and afterwards parading the carcasses as trophies and taking gleeful pictures of not only themselves but their 4 year old child.

And I think this particular concept is eluding you, that we have clearly different opinions. Also, having things in "open" view doesn't necessarily make it correct. For example, someone decides to steal but does it in open view and is "natural" about it. Does that make it correct? Just because they are not denying/obscuring it, does that make the act correct? So according to you, we should tell the thief that continue doing what you are doing, even though I don't like it, but since you are doing it in public, by all means continue. I, for one, won't do that. To me what is incorrect is incorrect whether done in public view or out of it. And in my opinion, recreational hunting as well as smoking (I don't have any problem with stylists, I would like one if I could afford it) are wrong and should not be condoned in public view or private.

FYI, "unlike you" comments (the one you made above) tend to alienate people and don't necessarily lead to meaningful discussions. Plus, I am done with this topic, I have already expressed my opinion several times. Its time to agree to disagree.

For example, someone decides to steal but does it in open view and is "natural" about it. Does that make it correct? Just because they are not denying/obscuring it, does that make the act correct? So according to you, we should tell the thief that continue doing what you are doing, even though I don't like it, but since you are doing it in public, by all means continue... Plus, I am done with this topic, I have already expressed my opinion several times. Its time to agree to disagree.
According to me?..did I write a word about criminal acts? (quite frankly, your example stinks) Did I say that doing things in open view makes them correct? Did I use the words "correct/incorrect" at all?
No, I didn't (and I never would in connection with smoking or hunting).
And yes, definitely time for agreeing to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom