The Royal Hunt: 2003, 2005-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A proud mom :)

Last edited by a moderator:
NO Mary, Joachim , Marie and their children . Well done poor deers !

NO Mary, Joachim , Marie and their children . Well done poor deers !

I think Joachim went last year with Nikolai and Felix, I remember N &F.
Mary has gone in the past but i guess not this year. also Christian has made an appearance or two

Billed Bladet #48, 2012.

Has some coverage of the royal hunt and it went ahead as usual.

Prince Henrik was dressed "cheerfully" as the article puts it, but he needed the support of the Royal Master of Hunts, Jens Bjerregaard Christensen, when he walked down the stairs at Fredensborg.

41 animals were shot this year. The only dachshound present was Helike, QMII's dog, however PH said: "But I hope to have a new one soon".

While the gentlemen were out hunting, QMII took the ladies out on cultural outing, complete with a lunch.
And if you think that means shopping, nah, you couldn't be more wrong! Not with QMII as hostess.
She took the ladies to a tour of the shop of Georg Jensen, where they admired the work of the craftsmen there. Then the highlight of the day, an exhibition with the French painter Berthe Morisot. - (Based on QMII's general reputation and not least in connection with these outings, I would expect her to be able to give a fifteen minutes lecture on each painting - without repeating herself).
Then the ladies joined the gentlemen for a well-deserved two hour lunch, before they all walked out for the game parade.

In the evening it was time for the great gala dinner and here Mary joined the party. Complete with dancers entertaining and a game of bridge for those who are addicted to that until late in the evening.

Last edited:
Thank you for this Muhler. Would love to see pics from the gala dinner, but then they must have some privacy from the media I guess.

:previous:thanks iceflower:flowers:
nice to see the gentleman's interesting hunting attire :ROFLMAO:

You are most welcome as always, polyesco! :flowers:

For me the gentlemen's hunting attire actually is the only interesting thing about the whole event, the hunt is not my cup of tea..;)

Is the hunt a purely royal male pursuit and that is why Isabella never comes long?

Is the hunt a purely royal male pursuit and that is why Isabella never comes long?

So far at least, it's only the male members of the DRF who take part in the hunts.
At the grandest of the royal hunts near Fredensborg, it's tradition that the ladies do something related to culture - usually with QMII as an enthusiastic tour guide.

Whether Isabella, Athena and Josephine will take part in hunting remains to be seen, but we will have to wait at least another ten years. (I can't remember whether you can get your hunting licence at sixteen or whether you have to be eighteen).
Isabella at least have been present close behind the shooting line at a hunt at Frijsenborg some years ago.

Like most Danish children I don't think the DRF children will be spooked by the sight of dead animals. It's very common for kindergarten and younger school children to see animals being dissected or lions eating a cow. - My own children have seen a beached whale and a lion being dissected and it was the adults who were queasy not the children, they were fascinated!
With Frederik's interest in nature preservation I will think it more than likely that he from time to time will have shown and broken an animal he has shot and brought home to his children while explaining about it.

I don't think we will ever see Mary pick up a hunting rifle or a shotgun, but our Marie? Perhaps.

So far at least, it's only the male members of the DRF who take part in the hunts.
At the grandest of the royal hunts near Fredensborg, it's tradition that the ladies do something related to culture - usually with QMII as an enthusiastic tour guide.

Whether Isabella, Athena and Josephine will take part in hunting remains to be seen, but we will have to wait at least another ten years. (I can't remember whether you can get your hunting licence at sixteen or whether you have to be eighteen).
Isabella at least have been present close behind the shooting line at a hunt at Frijsenborg some years ago.

Like most Danish children I don't think the DRF children will be spooked by the sight of dead animals. It's very common for kindergarten and younger school children to see animals being dissected or lions eating a cow. - My own children have seen a beached whale and a lion being dissected and it was the adults who were queasy not the children, they were fascinated!
With Frederik's interest in nature preservation I will think it more than likely that he from time to time will have shown and broken an animal he has shot and brought home to his children while explaining about it.

I don't think we will ever see Mary pick up a hunting rifle or a shotgun, but our Marie? Perhaps.

thank you Muhler.
I dont know, Mary has been getting some training with guns :ROFLMAO:
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe...-bornholm/hjemmevarnsovelse-pa-bornholm-2.img

And I agree about Frederik showing his children and explaining. I can imagine Isabella and Josephine being more active in the hunts later on.

I would love it if one day in the future at least one of the girls decides to take part in the hunt(s) as well. You know, breaking some gender barriers. Sadly, it seems very male-focused right now. I could perfectly well imagine that Isabella would want to be included in the fun as well as her male counterparts.

On another note, didn't kongehuset.dk spell Gribskov wrong? Having grown up near the wood, I have always only seen it spelled Gribskov in one word.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2013.
I løb efter svigermor - Running to catch up with mother-in-law.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

In connection with the royal hunt at Grib Forest near Fredensborg, it's tradition that QMII take the ladies on an outing. In this case to the Amalienborg Museum - (presumably to have a look at the new portrait of the DRF).

A bus drove the ladies from Fredensborg to Amalienborg. And here QMII and company disembarked, but where was Mary? Oh, well. The ladies went inside.
And there was Mary! Running across the square from her own home towards the museum. There were a number of tourists who noticed Mary. (Both on the way to the museum and on the way back again later. That can be seen in pictures). But, the door to the museum was locked. Mary knocked - no answer. And this is one of the instances where it's handy to have your own PET officer trailing you around. He flashed his key-card and opened the door. - There is a caption to a pic posted here somewhere saying that her PET officer had to run to catch up with Mary.

It was easier for our Marie, she and Joachim have an apartment in the same mansion as the museum, so she just had to walk down the stairs to meet her mother-in-law.
After a tour of the museum, Mary said goodbye to her mother-in-law and walked back home across the square.
The other ladies continued their cultural odysse to Frederiksborg Castle, where the National Historical Museum is located. Here they saw the exhibition: Denmark and Russia of the Tzars, before enjoying acup of coffee and a cookie. - (The article don't say whether Marie went with them). Then they headed back to Fredensborg.

In the meantime the menfolks were busy shooting away near Fredensborg. In fact they had been at it from the sun went op, around 08.00.
Joachim was there but there was no sign of Frederik. Joachim explained: "I assume my brother drives directly to the first post in the woods". - The article suggests that Frederik put a lot of emphasis on having breakfast with his family. (*)
After the hunt and the game parade Frederik drove home to Amalienborg, while the other guests changed at Fredensborg.
Again it is presumed in the article that Frederik put emphasis on saying goodnight to the children.
Anyway, he and Mary came directly from home to the gala dinner atFredenborg in the evening.
Here those who took part in the hunt itself - with ladies, as well as "soup-hunters", i.e. guests who only take part in the dinner, enjoyed a lavish dinner with entertainment.
However, M&F and J&M left around 01.00 and drove home to Amalienborg, while most of the remaining guests slept at Fredensborg.

The tally for the game parade was 46 animals, mostly deers, but also a few stags.

Among the guests (hunters as well as soup-hunters) were:
Otto and Helle Reedtz-Thott.
Fritz Schur.
Roger Moore and Kiki.
Frank Uhrenholt.
Prince Fernando Pinatelli.
Jesper and Birthe Bruun Rasmussen.
Jens Bjerregaard Christensen.

(*) That sounds very plausible. And it also seems likely to me that he or Mary as far as possible take at least the twins to the kindergarten. Not least because they travel so much and are likely to travel even more in the future.

Last edited:
Prince Henrik attends the Royal Hunt at Grib Skov today, November 27 and we have his always colorful costume - he must almost frightens the animals away with these red socks! :lol:

Prins Henrik på jagt med vennerne | Billed Bladet

This afternoon at 5:00 pm it was time to the so-called wild parade in the courtyard at Fredensborg where the hunters proudly presented what they had got home from the wood.
Here Frederik participated as well - and he made sure that at least one of the men was decent and stylish dressed :p I see Joachim had mirrored his father with the red killer socks :D

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/kongejagten-gav-et-flot-resultat

Henrik had taken Margrethe with him this time and while Joachim has participated throughout the day Frederik, like last year, haven't participated from the start which BB last year conjectured was because he prioritized the morning routine with droping off the children at school - which is very likely the same this time.

Tonight, Henrik and Margrethe host the private gala dinner (we never get pictures IIRC) where the wifes attends with their men.

ADDED:

Pictures
http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/79/626779_930_9300_81_0_4272_2952_2.jpg
http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/76/626776.jpg
http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/78/626778.jpg
http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/77/626777.jpg

Never mind the socks, what will Princess Beatrix say when she find one of her evening capes missing?!

Dear Henrik, at least he has every talking about him. I well remember little Prince Christian dressed like a Khaki teletubby on the lawn at one of these events many years ago.

Last edited:
The Prince's sock are very festive looking,his sherlock holmes cape is also interesting looking!

maybe its a safety thing: in my home province of Ontario, hunters are required to wear 'blaze orange' clothing, mostly to ensure that they are not shot by other hunters!:bang:

Just me and I speak for me only, I hate killing any animal and I refuse to eat meat...grrrr. I feel so sorry for those deer, they didn't hurt anybody and they have as much right to live as we do.......huge grrrrrrr! Now this is me and I am just saying I hate hunting and I don't care who it feeds or if there is an over population (and there is an over population of the human race..). Anybody mad...don't be...it's just my opinion! sorry mods if this got off topic, I just didn't expect to see dead deer, last time I view hunts!:sad:for the deer!

This hunt is a very important annual event of culling native deer. The sport is very regulated as to what they can and can't shoot. Only so many males and females. The trouble is that with forests being so small in Europe animals have to be culled so that Everyone can live in peace. Otherwise you are going to have a huge population of deer with many looking further afield for food like wandering into towns etc. And with animals in towns that causes another set of problems. It is not a pretty sight but an understandable one. In my country we have a big problem with wild dogs, wild cats and wild pigs etc etc. I hope this explanation helps you a little.

This hunt is a very important annual event of culling native deer. The sport is very regulated as to what they can and can't shoot. Only so many males and females. The trouble is that with forests being so small in Europe animals have to be culled so that Everyone can live in peace. Otherwise you are going to have a huge population of deer with many looking further afield for food like wandering into towns etc. And with animals in towns that causes another set of problems. It is not a pretty sight but an understandable one. In my country we have a big problem with wild dogs, wild cats and wild pigs etc etc. I hope this explanation helps you a little.

Thank you:flowers::flowers: explaining and I do understand. It is just me and me only, I think we humans with the brains(some of us, not all) should find other ways to deal with these type of things, and yet we can't even live in peace together so why think humans are smarter then the 4 legged animals of this earth. I don't like cruelty to animals and children, really huge pet peeves of mine and sometimes I can really get angry at these type of things. Not viewing anymore pictures of dead animals, and the poor giraffe that really infuriated me that someone could be so cruel to a beautiful wonderful animal. I still to this day get angry over that...grrrrr :sad:

Back
Top Bottom