The Royal Hunt: 2003, 2005-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The daily fail describes Freds burgundy vest as a Gillet!
First time I have ever heard of a Gillet. Is that a French term for a vest? Some knowledgable fashionista on these boards may be able to help me out here.
Sure looks cold on this night. I am surprise the Queen and Mary don't wear something on their heads to keep warm.

First time I have ever heard of a Gillet. Is that a French term for a vest? Some knowledgable fashionista on these boards may be able to help me out here.
Sure looks cold on this night. I am surprise the Queen and Mary don't wear something on their heads to keep warm.

Never heard of that either.
Is it somehow derived from ghillies? I.e. professional gamekeeper at estates.

I don't think QMII and Mary went out for a long time, basically only for the traditional game parade. The weather is actually quite warm for November, some 9 degrees C. (48.2 F) But of course moist in the air and wind reduce that temperature.
Mary and QMII would most likely have hosted an outing for the ladies. Usually to some cultural place, like an art museum and with a lunch somewhere. So they should have been warm most of the day.

Never heard of that either.
Is it somehow derived from ghillies? I.e. professional gamekeeper at estates.

I don't think QMII and Mary went out for a long time, basically only for the traditional game parade. The weather is actually quite warm for November, some 9 degrees C. (48.2 F) But of course moist in the air and wind reduce that temperature.
Mary and QMII would most likely have hosted an outing for the ladies. Usually to some cultural place, like an art museum and with a lunch somewhere. So they should have been warm most of the day.
A gilet is basically a sleeveless jacket or a vest. It's also called a bodywarmer.

I have 3 gilets which I adore, they keep your body warm but your arms free therefore preventing you from getting too warm altogether! I live in the them.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #47, 2018.
Written by Trine Larsen.

The grandest of the royal hunts was held recently at Grib Forest near Fredensborg.
While the gentlemen (and sometimes ladies) go hunting, QMII is hostess for an outing for the ladies.
That always involves something cultural, with QMII as a knowledgeable, and at times apparently also very talkative and enthusiastic, tour guide!
The ladies were basically a list of close friends of M&F:
Carina Axelsson.
Malou Skeel, from Birkelse Manor.
Baroness Helle Reedtz-Thott, from Gavnø Manor.
Birgitta Hillingsø, a close friend of QMII.
Countess Pernille Wedell, from Wedellsborg Manor.
Countess Kirsten Moltke, from Bregentved Estate (large farm/small manor.)
Princess Kelly, married to Prinz Hubertus of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha.
Baroness Alexa von Malsen-Plessen, from Selsø-Lindholm Estate.
Countess Ulla Brockenhuus-Schack, from Giesengaard Estate. (A member of the Schack family who declined inheriting Schackenborg.)
Josephine Pontoppidan Nissen. (Really only a sweetheart to one of the hunters, but she belongs to one of the leading intellectual families of Copenhagen.)
Countess Stephanie Knuth, from Knuthenborg Manor.

It seems like Prince (Prinz) Gustav of Berleburg and Carina Axelsson stayed at Amalienborg with M&F, because QMII and the the other ladies drove in by bus from Fredensborg and joined Mary and Carina at Amalienborg.
Here the group was treated to an extensive tour at Amalienborg Museum, that is currently exhibiting the works by QMII as scenographer.
Then the group was subjec... eeh, I mean treated to even more art at Glyptoteket in Copenhagen.
After this busy forenoon the party went by bus to Fredensborg to a well deserved lunch, so that they could be ready for their menfolks returning from the hunt and the game parade outside the palace at 17.00.

Normally, it was PH who hosted the actual hunt, even if he didn't always take an active part in the hunt. Now that honor has passed to his son, Frederik.
In all seventeen had been invited for the hunt and there has been some changes. Normally those taking part belonged to the circle of friends around the Regent Couple, today that has gradually changed to the circle of friends around M&F.
Among them the wealthy businessman, Fritz Schur, who since the death of Mærsk Mckinney-Møller, has looked after the finances and investments of the Regent Couple, and I suspect now also M&F.

I'll return to the traditions about the game parade.

It is tradition the ladies come out and witness the game parade and also show respect for the animals.
Here it was observed that Frederik stayed close to his mother and on occasions supported her arm.
QMII, followed by M&F also thanked the employees, wardens and foresters who had helped at the hunt.
- The game actually belongs to the state, this being a state forest. That means the hunters must buy the animals they have shot if they wish to have the meat or heads as trophies. Otherwise the meat is sold to shops.

You can see the scans in the Frederik thread.

Now to the game parade.
I'm not a hunter myself so forgive any mistakes.

Denmark adhere to the Central European traditions regarding hunt and they are very elaborate and I don't know how old! Some of the traditions must be very old, because they seem pretty pagan to me.

Nowadays hunters tend to dress practical and in camouflage, but that is pretty recent. Only 50 years ago it was normal that a gentleman hunter dressed up for the occasion. The emphasis being well attired but still practical and that included a tie and a walking stick. PH, as you know was a master in "dressing up" for a hunt!
Depending on circumstances the hornblowers blow a tune to signal the start of the hunt.
While on the hunt, whether pyrsching (tracking the game) or standing on a designated spot, the hornblowers will play signals indicating "The hunt is over. Return." or "Cease fire and stop!"

After the hunt the game will be collected and broken. (Cut open and bled out).
The animals will then carefully be laid on a bed of fir-twigs surrounded by torches. And here the hornblowers will play a number of tunes. One of them being "End of the hunt", and when a tune is played in the honor of the game the gentlemen present will take off their hats. Ladies however do not take off their hats.

Here the tradition is shown in a brief video to kindergarten- and school children at Odder Museum, nor far from where I was born BTW.

Last edited:
Good to know that Gustav and Carina attended. We haven’t seen them together in quite some time.

I know it's the whole point of hunting but the photos of the deer on the ground were rather disturbing. I've never been a fan of animal bloodsports. (Yes, I am aware of the long tradition of royals and hunting, still don't agree with it!)

I know it's the whole point of hunting but the photos of the deer on the ground were rather disturbing. I've never been a fan of animal bloodsports. (Yes, I am aware of the long tradition of royals and hunting, still don't agree with it!)

I think a lot of people feel the same. And you don't have to be vegetarian to have a dislike for these traditions..

** ppe gallery **

** dm article: Crown Princess Mary and Prince Frederik of Denmark stand before rows of slain deer..**

Hardly a consolation, but it is necessary to keep the stock at a certain number to uphold their standard of living. I believe Gribskov's own game-keepers shoot 200-something deer every year. Much less brutal for them to die a quick death than, say, for them to starve to death because there isn't enough food for everyone.

I'm a vegetarian and I don't have any issues with a well-executed hunt. People who are clutching their pearls over the killing of animals that have lived a good life in the wild while they gladly tuck into a pig who during his short life never saw either the sun or breathed some fresh air before being brutally killed puzzles me.

Responsible Land management is humane and sustainable. A bunch of starving diseased animals would be the real outrage.

article
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/kronprins-frederik-i-front-til-dronningens-jagt

grand duke Henri of Luxembourg was one of the foreign guest last night
https://app.tt.se/bild/q=royal hunt/tre=2019-11-21/trs=2019-11-20
https://www.belgaimage.be/#/search/images?text=fredensborg 20-11-2019

from the DRF
H.M. Dronningen afholdt Kongejagt i Gribskov med efterfølgende jagttaffel på Fredensborg Slot | Kongehuset

Today, the Crown Prince hosted the hunt itself, in which foreign and Danish guests also participated.

His Royal Highness is the patron of the Danish Jägerforbund, which has over 800 local associations and 90,000 members. The association aims to safeguard the members' interests in hunting and nature.

In addition to Her Majesty and the Crown Prince, the Crown Princess also participated in the game parade and the hunting table.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought the photos were a bit much given the sensitivity attached to hunting; is all (and think it's a fair reaction to have). You can be a meat eater and still be opposed to hunting as long as you are ethically eating meat i.e. organic/free range IMO. I, myself, am trying to have a more vegetarian based diet in the hopes of eventually becoming vegan because the idea of eating animals hasn't been settling with me.

According to the Billedbladet linked in the post other royals guests present were Prince Gustav von Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Prince Philipp von Hessen, Prince Hubertus von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha and Prince Philipp von Hohenlohe-Langenburg.

:previous: Yes it has been noticed in the papers that the participants in this hunt consisted mainly of billionaires.

Pretty logic IMO.
The DRF has close ties with some of the most prominent business families in DK. Most of these families reside in Jutland, where this hunt took place and the tend to shun the limelight. So what better place to go hunting that in central Jutland?

--------------

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2019.
Written by Trine Larsen.

The grandest of the Royal Hunts takes place at Fredensborg and here some of the participants were new as well as a number of friends of M&F, most being nobles.
It was officially QMII who hosted the hunt, but de facto it was Frederik.
While the menfolks went hunting, QMII took the ladies for a tour and a lunch. This year to Georg Jensen - and no doubt she was able to talk at length about the subjects they saw... QMII has a reputation for being a talkative and enthusiastic guide! (I'd actually love to go with her! :D)
This year Mary joined the ladies. - After all she is supposed to be the hostess as such hunts in the future.

The Royal Hunts follow all the old Continental European traditions, including a game parade in torchlight. Blowing a tune in honor of the game, while the men (but not the ladies) take off their headgear. And so on.

The 23 hunters besides Frederik counted a number of princes:
Grand-Duke Henri of Luxemburg.
Prinz Phillipp von Hessen.
Prinz Hubertus von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha.
Fürst Phillipp Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
Prinz Ferdinand zu Sleswig-Holstein.
Prinz Gustav of Berleburg.

Then we have some of the Danish nobles:
Helle and Otto Reedtz-Thott.
Pernille and Bendt Wedell.
Christoffer Knuth.
Mette and Christian Ahlefeldt-Laurvig.
Bendt Tito Wedell.
Jørgen Skeel.
Michael Brockenhuus-Schack (the original Schackenborg family)
- Most of the above are close personal friends of M&F, so Mary didn't go alone on the ladies' excursion...

I had not expected grand duke Henri to take part; is he a regular guest at the royal hunt?

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have time to start at the beginning so i apologise if this has already been answered.

So, what do they do with the game?

Sorry, I don't have time to start at the beginning so i apologise if this has already been answered.

So, what do they do with the game?

It's sold.
This is a state forest, so the game belongs to the state.
The hunters can buy what they shoot, otherwise it's sold to local meat-shops or restaurants.
Sometimes the hunters settle with the skull, with the horns. The meat is boiled off and removed, leaving only the skull and horns as a trophy to hang on the wall.

Whether the DRF-kitchen is getting a discount or a piece of game or two is presented as a gift from the state is a question I can't answer.

The hunt at Fredesborg, at Grib forest to be exact is I understand mainly a post-hunt. I.e. the hunters are placed at various posts during the day and the game is driven towards the line of hunters, from a secure distance though. So most animals run past or in-between the hunters, if they can't get a clear shot.

The hunt in Jutland is a pyrsch-hunt. I.e. the hunters track the game in the hope of getting close enough to get a clear shot. That requires considerably more skills as a hunter. The distances are larger and the animals have far more opportunities to run away if they even suspect a hunter nearby.
But all of the hunters in Jutland, according to the BT article, are elite-hunters. Just like Frederik.
I don't know if Frederik is still a certified bow-hunter. But that's for the really experienced pyrsch-hunter! As they have to get into a distance of some 30 meters of the animals in order to ensure a clean kill.

At both hunts schweiss-dogs were standing by, in case an animal was only wounded. AFAIK that is now required by law.
If an animal is only wounded the hunters freeze and an experienced hunter (in this case often the forester of the local forest) take over with his dog and track down the wounded animal in order to kill it as fast as possible.
Having wounded an animal is not something a hunter is proud of! Because it means you have been either very unlucky or haven't ensured you had a clear shot.

It's actually unusual for Danish hunts nowadays that the hunters are all male. A growing number of the some 70.000 certified hunters in DK are women, young women 20-35 in particular. So statistically at least five of the 24 hunters at Fredensborg ought to have been women.

At what age will Christian, Vincent ETC start regularly shooting with the Men? I suppose Christian and older boy’s at least knows something of shooting at their age.

At what age will Christian, Vincent ETC start regularly shooting with the Men? I suppose Christian and older boy’s at least knows something of shooting at their age.

To such a fairly formal event, no sooner than eighteen IMO.

You can get your hunting license when you have turned sixteen, so they can take part in hunts from that age.
Most likely they will start with a more simple form of hunting. I.e. standing at a post and shooting a shotgun against fowl and hares. That's the most safe form of hunting for a beginner.
And then gradually progress to rifle and later on to pyrsch-hunting. So I will estimate that it's only around age eighteen they will be experienced enough to take part in a royal hunt.

But of course, like I have mentioned previously, there is a considerable influx a young women getting a hunting license here in DK these years, so we should not rule out Isabella and Josephine or Athena taking part in hunts.
And it is by no means certain hunting will appeal to all the boys.
Vincent for example is a gentle soul and though he is fond of shouting at animals, he may not like to shoot at them. ;)
Christian is pretty much required to go hunting, as that is part of a very old tradition and because the Hunting Association is very closely linked to preservation and wildlife organizations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom