The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall visit Denmark: March 24-27, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viv

Courtier
City
Funen
Country
Denmark
According to Billed Bladet the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will visit Denmark 24 - 27. March. The magazine has very few facts, however they inform that the British RF also wish to mark the jubilee of Queen Elizabeth abroad. That's what Billed Bladet says at least!
The 'recce' team was in Denmark last week to seek out the sights etc, the couple would wish to visit.
Next BB speculates whether the royal couple are going to stay at Amalienborg either with HM and the Prince Consort or with the crown princely couple.

This is what BB wrote this week, let's see what actually happens!

viv

Last edited:
This visit, if true, doesn't make any sense. Denmark is not a Commonwealth country; what possible reason would there be for such a visit? I mean, Will and Kate were there recently and I would assume that Denmark will have a representative at some or all of the Diamond Jubilee festivities. Given how much travelling Charles and Camilla will be doing in their visits to Canada, Australia and New Zealand, this is just odd.

This visit, if true, doesn't make any sense. Denmark is not a Commonwealth country; what possible reason would there be for such a visit? I mean, Will and Kate were there recently and I would assume that Denmark will have a representative at some or all of the Diamond Jubilee festivities. Given how much travelling Charles and Camilla will be doing in their visits to Canada, Australia and New Zealand, this is just odd.

It is possible that BB is wrong and this has nothing to do with the Jubilee. As of yet this visit is not on any calender or engagement list that the couple are doing in March.

Will this visit to Denmark be on business or just to see Queen Margarethe II or some reason like a birthday?

:previous:
Don't know.

According to BB they are to spend four days in DK and I cannot imagine they'll board a tourist bus and go see the Little Mermaid on their own.
There has to be some kind of purpose.

And now I'm guessing. You can hardly turn around here in DK without bumping into a windmill or take a step without tripping over a recycling project. The environment is something I understand interest the Prince of Wales, so I guess they'll visit a windmill farm or two and also visit the island of Samsø, where the entire energy consumption is alternative. The 4.000 islanders almost make a living of showing off the island to eco-tourists and delegations outside the summer months. I can imagine that is something that should interest the PoW.

Speaking from a protocol point of view. As the PoW is the "crown prince", it's natural to expect that Mary and Frederik will act as tour guides during the visit.

Why go in late March? I have no idea what so ever. There is nothing happening in DK or in the DRF at that time. Perhaps it's the Xth anniversary for QEII's state visit to DK?

Will this visit to Denmark be on business or just to see Queen Margarethe II or some reason like a birthday?

Bit late for a birthday celebrations considering they weren't around at any event in January. All we have to go on is the BB article, but like I said this visit isn't on any future engagement list or press release.

Uh, I hope this is true. First Will and Kate's visit in November and now Charles and Camilla in March. I wonder what they're going here for.

... I cannot imagine they'll board a tourist bus and go see the Little Mermaid on their own.

Now there's something I'd like to see :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It is possible that BB is wrong and this
has nothing to do with the Jubilee.
Sounds reasonable:flowers:! We don't even know the source of BB;
I doubt it's confirmed by the royal Danish court! IMO it looks like one
of the reporters knows someone who knows someone who has a cousin working at the Danish Police, who's had a meeting with someone from
a British protection squad and/or Clarence House!
Besides a four day visit looks a bit much unless they're here for a
very special reason!

viv

If they are infact visiting, and whatever their reasons, I for one will be glad of it. It's always nice to see Camilla and Charles associate with the continental royals as it's not very often that we do.

It could also be a lovely opportunity for the Duchess and Crown Princess to get better acquainted also. They've only met once before, at the Prince of Wales' 60th Birthday.

'Perhaps' Camilla may have a few questions for Mary regarding Australia; in light of her visit here later in the year :D:p
All we have to go on is the BB article, but like I said this visit isn't on any future engagement list or press release.

Then perhaps it could be more of a private visit? Time will tell.

Last edited:

If it was a more private visit then BB seriously have it wrong when mentioning is has a connection to the Diamond Jubilee. I doubt the newspapers would be able to get their hands on the info if the couple were just planning to spend the weekend sightseeing. Also, I wonder if the courtesy of staying at a royal palace would be extended if it were a private visit. All of these things, even the visit itself has only come about from one newspaper article bear in mind.

No other media has picked up on this 'story'! It's easy to dismiss it as a premature April's Fool prank, and yet.. we might have egg on our faces if it turns out that actually C & C turns up in Denmark :cool:! Or could it be a mini-tour of Scandinavia? If they can tour Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary, they could as well make a whistlestop tour of Scandinavia.

viv

I will be looking forward to this visit, should be interesting!

Or could it be a mini-tour of Scandinavia? If they can tour Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary, they could as well make a whistlestop tour of Scandinavia.

viv

Even such a whistlestop would have had a few months of planning, and presumably be on record somewhere on a royal site.

Even such a whistlestop would have had a few months of planning, and presumably be on record somewhere on a royal site.
It doesn't add up, does it? Even an official invitation by the DRF would not be kept under wraps till the last minute! - It would be the case for a private invitation, but I don't see that happening either!

viv

Allow me to remind you that the vist by Will and Kate also came about on a very short notice without it being known months in advance.

If this is a kind of secondary visit, that can be cancelled or moved, then there is no need to sound the fanfare and announce the visit until most details are in place.

Allow me to remind you that the vist by Will and Kate also came about on a very short notice without it being known months in advance.

If this is a kind of secondary visit, that can be cancelled or moved, then there is no need to sound the fanfare and announce the visit until most details are in place.

Except, we're not talking about the second in line to the throne popping over with his new wife. We're talking about Prince Charles and Camilla coming over for an event supposedly in connection with the Diamond Jubilee. Such an event, if that's the case, would have been planned for months. However, singling out Denmark to promote the Jubilee makes little sense.

You are right.

This smells more and more like a very low key, almost informal visit. - I.e. looking at windmills. (My pet theory :)).

This tour actually makes quite a bit of sense - given that Margrethe is herself celebrating her own 40 years on the throne - and this visit could easily be to do with that.

I know the main celebrations have already occurred but I don't remember any member of the British RF attending - even the ubiquitous Wessexes.

I know the main celebrations have already occurred but I don't remember any member of the British RF attending - even the ubiquitous Wessexes.
But they weren´t invited. The only royals/Head of states that were invited were from Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.

Maybe they didn't invite the Wessexes/British because they knew they were going to invite them for later in the year. It makes sense to me.

So far no info about planned visit on Danish or British royals sites. Only BB wrote it.

It's official, the announcement below is from kongehuset.dk

THE PRINCE OF WALES AND THE DUCHESS OF CORNWALL OFFICIAL VISIT TO DENMARK

In the days of 24-27. March shall Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall official visit to Denmark, where the royal couple will be hosts.

The visit is based on the historical and diplomatic ties between the two countries and will include focus on green technology and new opportunities for trade.

During the official visit to the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, among other things visit Avedøreværket, housing Gyldenrisparken, Citadel - where there will be greeted at the soldiers who have been deployed in Afghanistan - and to follow a Hamlet workshop organized by 'the Royal Shakespeare Company 'at Kronborg Castle.
Additionally, Your Royal Highnesses visit a university to look at innovative, green technology initiatives, as well as a sustainable, organic farming.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Denmark finishing a voyage in the North, as Their Royal Highnesses carried out on 20 - 27 March as a prelude to the upcoming diamond jubilee of Queen Elizabeth. Earlier, Prince of Wales visited Denmark in december 2009 and Norway in May 2010. At this Nordic tour, the Prince's first official visit to Sweden, while the Duchess of Cornwall's first official visit in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

This post is to be moved, because the thread about about Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla visiting DK is unfortunately locked....

A few details:

One of the places they will visit is Gyldenrisparken -a nonprofit housing area, mainly for low-income families, singles, elderly, youths under education and young families. - I'm sure you are familiar with that sort of things in your own countries, it's just to make sure you know what I'm talking about.
Such housing areas can vary from being a ghetto with huge problems to being a very attractive and sought after places to live. - Such neighborhoods are usually called silver-wedding or gold-wedding neighborhoods, because the residents are often mature and live in fairly small apartments or houses.
Gyldenrisparken was completely worn down and it went through a comprehensive renovation a few years ago and is now a model-project.
As Britain face the same problems with nonprofit estates needing renovation and the PoW is interested in that sort of things, it's logic to put that on the agenda.

Advedøreværket = Avedøre Power Station.
Info in English. Facts about Avedøreværket Power Station
The power station is hyper modern and is one of the most efficiet in the world. It supplies a very large percentage of the housing in Copenhagen with central heating. - This is Frederik's territory. Some of you may recall he recieved an award a couple of years ago, because M&F's new residence relies on very energy efficient central heating.

The Citaldel = Kastellet (See in the Amalienborg thread) is located close to Amalienborg and it's natural that they should greet Danish Afghanistan veterans as Danish troops work closely with British forces in the Helmand province. (As well as US Marines, in providing support from main battle tanks).

It's pretty natural I guess that they should visit a Hamlet workshop at Kronborg of all places. As Hamlet is frequently performed there. At the time Shakespeare wrote Hamlet, Kronborg was a modern fortress and being well informed he would have known about it, and so would a segment of his audience. - But he and they would have been unfamilliar with the gloomy and medieval Copenhagen Castle, that at the time was the residence of the DRF. Copenhagen Castle would have been any scenographers wet dream in regards to setting up Hamlet!

Last edited by a moderator:
So we were wrong .....

I admit to being skeptical about the rumours of this visit, but here I am with egg on my face :). The only consolation is that a few may have more eggs on their faces than yours truly!

It did actually turn out to be a Scandinavian whistlestop tour apparently without the wind mills of Samsoe ..... apparently!

viv

Viv said:
I admit to being skeptical about the rumours of this visit, but here I am with egg on my face :). The only consolation is that a few may have more eggs on their faces than yours truly!

It did actually turn out to be a Scandinavian whistlestop tour apparently without the wind mills of Samsoe ..... apparently!

viv

Indeed. I would understand the reason for the tour if it wasn't in connection with the Jubilee. I just don't get it.

In Billed Bladet #08, 2012

We are informed that the Regent Couple will be the hosts for Prince Charles and Countess Camilla. (*) And as such they will live at Amalienborg.
The Regent Couple will accompany the guests around but the CP couple has also announced that they wish to participate in parts of the schedule.
QMII will also host a grand dinner, when is unknown.

It's clear that a number of details regarding the schedule are not in place yet.
The PoW has been to DK before but it's the first visit by Countess Camilla. And this visit has something to do with QEII's jubilee. - Whatever that may be.

(*) Interesting but I guess they know each other pretty well and are similar age wise. And who else to bend the protocol than the Monarch herself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Official Program:

Saturday 24 March:
TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall arrive at Copenhagen International Airport and are received by TRH The Crown Prince and The Crown Princess.

Sunday 25 March: The Churchill Park and St Alban’s Church
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visit The Churchill Park and attend the Service of Holy Communion at St Alban’s Anglican Church. After the service the Prince and the Duchess will plant a tree in The Churchill Park to commemorate their visit.

Monday 26 March:

* The Citadel
Accompanied by The Crown Prince couple, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit The Citadel, where The Prince and The Crown Prince will lay a wreath at the national memorial. Their Royal Highnesses view the Eternal Flame and the Memorial Wall.

Subsequently, Their Royal Highnesses join a reception for Danish soldiers who have served in Afghanistan and their families.

* Elsinore
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall arrive at Elsinore, and proceed on foot for at short guided tour of the Old Town which will end at St Mary’s Church.
Afterwards The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit Kronborg Castle to view a Hamlet workshop facilitated by HamletScenen and the Royal Shakespeare Company.

* Rud Rasmussen’s Furniture Workshop
The Prince of Wales visits Rud Rasmussen’s furniture workshop, Nørrebro, Copenhagen.

* Dinner at Christian VII’s Palace, Amalienborg
HM The Queen and HRH The Prince Consort will host a dinner for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall at Christian VII’s Palace, Amalienborg. The Crown Prince Couple, TRH Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Princess Benedikte will also be attending as well as other specially invited guests.

Tuesday 27 March:

* Gyldenrisparken
The Prince of Wales and The Crown Prince visit Gyldenrisparken, Amager. TRH will take a walking tour of the residential area visit a carbon-neutral kindergarten, a home for the elderly, and meet members of Gyldenrisparken Residents’ Association.

* Avedøre Power Station
The Prince of Wales and The Crown Prince visit Avedøre Power Station, where they will see e.g. a biomass power generator and meet staff involved in sustainable energy projects.

* ’The Killing’
The Duchess of Cornwall and The Crown Princess pay a visit to the set of the current shootings of DR’s TV series ‘The Killing’.

* Osteoporose Research Center
The Duchess of Cornwall and The Crown Princess visit the Center for Clinical and Basic Research in Ballerup and are briefed on trials being conducted for the potential benefit of osteoporosis patients, and view the clinical trial facilities.

* VIA University College
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visit VIA University College in Horsens where they will view a display of innovatively developed technology and a 3D modeling laboratory, as well as meet some of the university’s British students.

* Barritskov Farm
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visit the organic farm and tour around the organic vegetable packing factory.

Programme for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's official visit to Denmark in March - The Danish Monarchy

Last edited:
I see that the Crown Prince and the Prince of Wales will be visiting Rudolf Rasmussens workshop on 26 march. My brother works there and will be at the visit. I can tell you they are busy cleaning the place up. It'll be exciting to see how it goes.

They've visited Norway they've visited Sweden where they met the Norwegian people as well as the Swedish and now they are off to Denmark where they will meet the Danes as well as Queen Margarethe II and family, I know that they will want to visit princess Marie and her baby girl as well as crown princess Mary and her twins.

It seems like a good portion of their trip is visiting the various royal nurseries!

Back
Top Bottom