The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I find the seemingly low-key security presence interesting.
In contrast to the visit last year by W&K where you could hardly turn around without bumping into a security officer.
Wonder why? Do you think there is an added security risk against W&K or are they just more discreet (less improvised) this time?

FasterB, can you enlighten us about the outfits (messehagler, not sure what it's called in English) the clergy are wearing?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
FasterB, can you enlighten us about the outfits (messehagler, not sure what it's called in English) the clergy are wearing?
Nope, sorry, I´m not that into the english church.

But I myself are interested in hearing why they are wearing purple. You see in the danish lutheran church today we celebrated "Mariæ Bebudelse", the day where the angel Gabriel is visiting Virgin Mary telling her that she will be the mother of Jesus. (Is it called "The assumption of the announcement"?)
And here is the reason for my question: The liturgical colour in the danish church for this specific sunday is white. Are there liturgical colours in the anglican church?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post

Since the Middletons are British, why should they ever agree to take part in an official engagement with a visiting royal?

Now, thanks to you and other posters, big questions were asked. The Donaldsons have been accused of being grasping social climbers with ideas above their station and attention seekers (just like their absent daughter).
I hope you all had your satisfaction of the day and we can move on now.
Yet again in the Danish forum I am accused of saying things that I obviously didn't. I did not accuse the Donaldsons of being grasping social climbers - I quite clearly stated that if the Middletons turned up to this sort of event that is how they would be considered in the UK.

I fail to see what would be so wrong with a Danish representative attending an Anglican service, even if it is for QEII. Lots of foreign royals attended a Lutheran service to celebrate Margrethe's recent jubilee, so why is it that only subjects of QEII are considered appropriate to attend?

On top of that, given Mary has much, much more British blood in her veins than any other member of a European RF, and spent most of her life as a subject of QEII, surely it would have been much more appropriate for her to attend this event?

One thing's for certain - if ever the Queen felt bad about only sending Edward and Sophie to an event in Denmark, this will have set her mind at rest.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
If anyone from the British or the Danish contingents involved with this visit thought it was inappropriate for the Donaldsons to be at the church then they wouldn't be there! I agree that it's unusual for royal in laws to take part in something like this, but Mary's father and stepmother are in the unique position of being connected to both the Danish royal family and the British Commonwealth, (and they might also have connections with that particular church). Therefore I can't see anything inappropriate in them taking a limited part in this fairly informal event. Certainly the British couple seemed more than comfortable with them being there.
Camelot, at the end of the day we don't know what's taken place and been agreed on behind palace walls! It's not unlikely that the Donaldsons have met C&C over drinks or dinner at the palace yesterday... maybe they got on well.. maybe they agreed to joining the service at St. Albans... it's all speculation on my part! I'm absolutely convinced that the Danish master of ceremonies would have intervened should the Donaldsons have even contemplated to do anything untoward at St. Albans. Actually I think it's time to give Prof. and Mrs. Donaldson some credit!

viv
Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I find the seemingly low-key security presence interesting.
In contrast to the visit last year by W&K where you could hardly turn around without bumping into a security officer.
Wonder why? Do you think there is an added security risk against W&K or are they just more discreet (less improvised) this time?

I would be surprised if William and especially Kate weren't significantly higher security risks than every other member of the British RF with the exception of QEII.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
One thing's for certain - if ever the Queen felt bad about only sending Edward and Sophie to an event in Denmark, this will have set her mind at rest.
Oh yes, as "certain" as night and day that is.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Care to elaborate because that makes no sense at all to me.

I notice when King Frederik visited Canterbury Cathedral for a service in his capacity as Colonel in Chief of a British regiment no member of the British Royal Family felt the need to attend.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/da...-at-canterbury

Your view of what is proper is perhaps a bit more royal than the royals
Old 03-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
Camelot, at the end of the day we don't know what's taken place and been agreed on behind palace walls! It's not unlikely that the Donaldsons have met C&C over drinks or dinner at the palace yesterday... maybe they got on well.. maybe they agreed to joining the service at St. Albans... it's all speculation on my part! I'm absolutely convinced that the Danish master of ceremonies would have intervened should the Donaldsons have even contemplated to do anything untoward at St. Albans. Actually I think it's time to give Prof. and Mrs. Donaldson some credit!

viv
I believe that's pretty much what I said?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
FasterB
A messehagel is a chasuble !

I wondered about the colour purple as well, it could be the bishop's robe, but I won't bet on it. I'm not sure whether the liturgical colours work in the same way as in Denmark. Ask me again in two months time, and I will know more about it!

viv
Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
Quote:
FasterB
A messehagel is a chasuble !

I wondered about the colour purple as well, it could be the bishop's robe, but I won't bet on it. I'm not sure whether the liturgical colours work in the same way as in Denmark. Ask me again in two months time, and I will know more about it!

viv
Thank you, Viv

I have tried to google the liturgical colors in the anglican church and they all say white is the color to wear at "The assumption of the announcement" and since this is the exact day, then I´m still curios as to why he wears the lent color (purple)
Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Care to elaborate because that makes no sense at all to me.

I notice when King Frederik visited Canterbury Cathedral for a service in his capacity as Colonel in Chief of a British regiment no member of the British Royal Family felt the need to attend.
DANISH KING AT CANTERBURY - British Pathé

Your view of what is proper is perhaps a bit more royal than the royals
While in Norway and Sweden Charles and Camilla were accompanied at all times by senior members of their royal families, most often the King and Queen themselves. Denmark, for whatever reason, have chosen not to go down that route. So the Queen needn't feel bad about not sending senior royals to Danish royal events.

Seems it'll suit both houses quite well and supports the stories that we've heard that the BRF are closer to the Swedes and, in particular, the Norwegians than the Danes.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

But I myself are interested in hearing why they are wearing purple. You see in the danish lutheran church today we celebrated "Mariæ Bebudelse", the day where the angel Gabriel is visiting Virgin Mary telling her that she will be the mother of Jesus. (Is it called "The assumption of the announcement"?)
And here is the reason for my question: The liturgical colour in the danish church for this specific sunday is white. Are there liturgical colours in the anglican church?
They would wear purple because it is Lent.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
They would wear purple because it is Lent.
But today is the day where Angel Gabriel visits Virgin Mary to tell her she will be the mother of Christ and the liturgical color of today is white...
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I did not accuse the Donaldsons of being grasping social climbers - I quite clearly stated that if the Middletons turned up to this sort of event that is how they would be considered in the UK.
Why mention the Middletons at all in this thread? To me it sounded like criticism of the Donaldsons.

Quote:
On top of that, given Mary has much, much more British blood in her veins than any other member of a European RF, and spent most of her life as a subject of QEII, surely it would have been much more appropriate for her to attend this event?
And much more convenient for her distractors too. Mary taking center stage, attention seeking, turning her back towards Camilla again.....

Quote:
You came up with the perfect explanation why no member of the DRF was present. Never thought of that. Now I can go to sleep with all questions answered. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Thank you, Viv

I have tried to google the liturgical colors in the anglican church and they all say white is the color to wear at "The assumption of the announcement" and since this is the exact day, then I´m still curios as to why he wears the lent color (purple)
FasterB, the liturgical years are not identical in the various denominations! The service list of St. Albans does not mention which day it is in the "church year", however I checked the day at the service page of an English Cathedral: today is the 5th Sunday of Lent, so that explains the colour purple!
Monday the 26th is the annunciation of the Lord.
Maybe we should continue the dicussion on a PM?? !

viv
Old 03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But today is the day where Angel Gabriel visits Virgin Mary to tell her she will be the mother of Christ and the liturgical color of today is white...
I think that in the Anglican Church the colour would still be purple
Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Seriously? You're bringing the blood in Mary's veins and the fact she lived in Australia for numerous years as reason for her attending an event? Mary is The Crown Princess of Denmark, if you hadn't noticed, I bet this woman thinks of herself as an Aussie/Dane and her ties to England are long gone. Putting aside the fact that this woman has 4 kids under the age of 8 to look after at home, it was a sunday and I don't think I've ever seen Mary attend church other than at Christmas.

I wonder if so much fuss would have been caused if John Donaldson hadn't attended, then it would have just been C&C attending a church service on their own. They could have even done it in private.

Quote:
That's possibly one of the rudest things I've read on this forum, and as you have pointed out several times, we have some nasty posters around. This highlights more than anything your own view of European royal families rather than The Queens, of which I doubt you know anything about.

Quote:
Seems it'll suit both houses quite well and supports the stories that we've heard that the BRF are closer to the Swedes and, in particular, the Norwegians than the Danes.
I wouldn't generalise if I were you, gets you in to all sorts of traps. You might not know but the previously aforementioned Prince Edward and Sophie who you so loving downgraded actually have very close ties to all European Families particularly Prince Joachim as Edward is godfather to his son. You don't just ask a nobody to be the godfather of your child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Why mention the Middletons at all in this thread? To me it sounded like criticism of the Donaldsons.
You have a very valid point, EIIR should have brought up Camilla's relatives and parents seeing as they would be the British counterparts to John and Susan.
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
On another note.

I'm pleased to see how the PoW Charles doesn't physically touch Mary's hand with his lips, as befits a true gentleman.

No wonder ladies wore gloves beforehand, lest a less than well bred person should drool all over their hands.
I absolutely love when the PoW does that!
He conquered me when I saw him last year kissing Princess Letizia hand in Spain, and he did it again with CP Mary yesterday
It´s not that he kiss their hands, if the way he does it, if you understand me, so respectful and gallant.
Quite old- fashioned, but so enchanting. I would love to meet such a gentleman, lucky Mary

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Heir Apparent

Quote:
LOL, that story seems to change to suit the purpose of the storyteller. Most often it was how close the BRF was to the Norwegians and Danes and how little contact there was with the Swedes. Now with this recent visit to Sweden we find that there are in fact private visits with the Swedes/British royals that no one knew about. We know that QMII makes regular private visits to London so it is not unreasonable to assume there are also private visits to the BRF we know nothing about.
As you probably saw in the link I provided when the Danish King visited England, and attended a combined church and military event, he was unaccompanied by a member of the BRF. Obviously when a foreign royal is in your country they do not always need to be accompanied by a member of the hosting royal family.
I doubt that QEII is petty enough to be offended that her son was not accompanied by a member of the DRF when he went to the English church to meet members of the British community in Copenhagen.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I fail to see what would be so wrong with a Danish representative attending an Anglican service, even if it is for QEII. Lots of foreign royals attended a Lutheran service to celebrate Margrethe's recent jubilee, so why is it that only subjects of QEII are considered appropriate to attend?
Yes because they were invited to do so, during the official celebrations of QMII. Just as QMII is invited to join the official celebrations in Britain of QEII.
This was an event for subjects of QEII who happen to be living in Denmark (perhaps southern Sweden as well).
If a member of the DRF attended this ceremony, C&C would be demoted to guests. - At a ceremony celebrating the British Monarch.
The clergy would have to greet a member of the DRF first, then C&C. - This wasn't the British embassy, this didn't take place on British territory.

Again, why should a member of the DRF attend a ceremony where foreign nationals officially celebrate their Monarch? Surely that's a matter between C&C and their countrymen?
That would or could also somehow imply that Denmark is subject to the British crown. I.e. a client monarchy.

Quote:
Mary is no longer a subject of QEII. Her allegiance is first and foremost to Denmark and to her Sovereign, QMII.
I'd say that Mary is seen as an Australian addition to Denmark, by the Danes, not a British.
While it is considered perfectly understandable that she is showing her fondness for Australia and still have links to Australia. That doesn't apply to the BRF, just because she was a former subject of QEII.