The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall visit Denmark: March 24-27, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this event was 'on their own' and now we see Mary's parents. Very weird and not appropriate in my opinion.

I am a bit surprised no member of the royal family accompanied Charles and Camilla, and even more so that the Donaldsons did.
To be fair though, the Official Program posted by Princess Robijn doesn't mention any Danish royal presence for today's event, whereas other events clearly state which royals are to accompany Prince Charles and Camilla. Perhaps this was a private visit, just an attendance of a Sunday Church Service.
You are right. Whatever the reason for John&Susan Donaldson's presence was, they certainly were not there in an official capacity.
When I first saw the itinerary I too was surprised that no Danish royal would be present at their first engagement. But perhaps it's really more private/semi-official? (And only mentioned in the itinerary so people and press would know and have a chance to meet and photograph C&C.) As I said before today looks very much like a Sunday church and resting day to me.

It still would have been nice to see a royal, like Prince Joachim, attend the services with Charles and Camilla along with the Donaldsons. It may have been a private or semi-official event, but as long as cameras are there the absence of a Danish royal does bring this to the forefront.

Last edited:
Well this event was 'on their own' and now we see Mary's parents. Very weird and not appropriate in my opinion.

I guess we should leave that judgment to the Danish court. John and Susan both have professions and interests which fit quite nicely with Charles & Camilla. They were properly introduced. The Scandinavian Royals and Charles were very intense about these visits to be visits to relatives. So John and Susan are to be considered as relatives-in-law. Plus I believe the Danish Royals are very glad to have them, as they act often as grandparents and parent-substitutes for the four Royal children when the queen, her husband and Mary & Fred are working on behalf of the Danish people. Plus I don't think the Denish way to view the contact of Royals with commoners just as "impossible" as some posters here. :flowers:

Plus I believe Charles and Camilla are very glad to meet new, interesting people where thy can be sure that they are absolutely to be trusted with private conversation.

The more I think about it: this visit is to celebrate the realtionship of Queen Elizabeth II. and Denmark. Mrs. and Prof. Donaldson are subjects of HM of Australia and are the grandparents of the future king of Denmark. What is wrong if they are invited to an offical event celebrating British religious beliefs in the Danmark of today? IMHO that's really fitting that they are there!

Last edited:
It was exactly what was mentioned in the itinerary.
I don't know why no Danish royal was there.
Perhaps it is meant as a signal of disapproval? Queen Margrethe is a person with high moral standards. ;)

It was exactly what was mentioned in the itinerary.
I don't know why no Danish royal was there.
Perhaps it is meant as a signal of disapproval? Queen Margrethe is a person with high moral standards. ;)

That's why she takes tea with Charles & Camilla on shopping in London?:D

I've never seen parents of other CPss at such a events. I can imagine how they would be criticized for that. DRF should sent member of royal family or leave it as it was planned (without any royals). Donaldson are not even living in Denmark, have no pubic roles here, they can be here privately but it doesn't mean that they have to be host for Charles&Camilla (John is planting a tree). Fact that Mary is CPss and they're grandparents of future heir isn't making them part or court. Very odd, wondering why Queen Margrethe allowed to it.

Kataryn
That's why she takes tea with Charles & Camilla on shopping in London?:D

I was just making fun of all those posters who think it is sooo inappropriate or weird that British/Scotish citizens Susan&John Donaldson attend church service with the British heir to the throne.

They will have to accept the fact that no member of the DRF was there, just as they accepted the fact that the once adulterous couple is now married and attending church services together. :D

Last edited:
I agree with Muhler. Here and on other boards many people seem more royal than the royals in their opinions as to what is or is not proper, always looking to see what is wrong. It is like Kremlin watchers of old, watching to see who is or is not in favor.

I was just making fun of all those posters who think it is sooo inappropriate or weird that British citizens Susan&John Donaldson attend church service with the British heir to the throne.

They will have to accept the fact that no member of the DRF was there, just as they accepted the fact that the once adulterous couple is now married and attending church services together. :D
No, the problem is not that they were in church, if they're religious they're free to do it. Interesting that it's first time when I see them in church exactly when British heir is present. Being in church doesn't bean that you have to plant a tree and posing with PoW. For me it's attention seeking, not the first time.

Well, it seems obvious that Mr Donaldson did not jump the fence to meet Prince Charles and plant a tree. He had to be asked to do so. I cannot see how it can be construed as attention seeking if you are doing what you were asked to do.If the Danish court felt it was appropriate to send a member of the DRF tp attend church with Prince Charles they would have done so_Obviously they did not feel this was necessary. Really, much ado about nothing.

In Canada its the same thing :flowers:

Not really. There are still Presbyterian Churches and Anglican Church of Canada Churches. In fact there is one of each just up the street from me.

Last edited:
Charles and Camilla attended a service in the English Church in DK. - And performed a ceremony celebrating their own Monarch.
A church that had been founded by a member of the BRF.
As such a tree was planted commemorating the 60th jubilee of QEII on the grounds of that church.
It would be somewhat weird to plant such a tree in a place that is not directly connected to UK. - Especially in another monarchy.

This is really no different from members of the DRF visiting the Danish Seaman Churches around the world. Just like this church is directly linked to England, the Seaman Churches are so to speak a part of Denmark abroad.
It provides C&C with an opportunity to meet their countrymen and the subjects of QEII in a fairly non-official way. - Without the official rituals of the DRF being present.
It's actually a curtesy to C&C.
They are the main characters in todays show, instead of being mere guests, had any member of the DRF been around.

The Danish Seaman Churches are state sponsored because they are a part of the Danish State Church. I can imagine something similar applies to this church in Copenhagen. This being the official English Church, St. Albans.

As far as I know there are no specific Presbyterian churches in DK. That would explain the precense of John Donaldson and Susan Moody. - Not to mention one little detail: They are still subjects of QEII.
John Donaldson is the father to the Danish Crown Princess and he holds the Order of the Grand Cross of Dannebrog, as such he formally speaking holds a very high rank here in DK. As such it would be pretty natural that he and his wife are not relegated to the backseats. - That could also be seen as snubbing the father of our Crown Princess.

To sum up:
A) Today's event was a service in the local English church, so that C&C don't have to pay their service to God in a Lutheran church.
B) It's an opportunity for C&C to meet their countrymen and subjects of QEII on their own.
C) They can celebrate their Sovereign without members of the DRF standing in the background looking silly. - To put it bluntly. This is the reason why they come to Denmark.
D) Danish Resistance veterans can pay their respect and honour the British on "British ground".

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the problem is not that they were in church, if they're religious they're free to do it. Interesting that it's first time when I see them in church exactly when British heir is present. Being in church doesn't bean that you have to plant a tree and posing with PoW. For me it's attention seeking, not the first time.
Interesting, you are watching John Donaldson?
Obviously they were there because the British heir to throne was there.
We don't know who invited them. Or if they invited themselves because they are attention seeking.

The problem is that this is really a storm in a teacup. :whistling:

Interesting, you are watching John Donaldson?
Obviously they were there because the British heir to throne was there.
We don't know who invited them. Or if they invited themselves because they are attention seeking.

I agree that their presence was probably due to an invitation; as Australians, it is only understandable they might have been asked to greet their future King.
As for a strom in a teacup, I can imagine what the reaction would be if the Middletons met any foreign royals on an official or semi-official event - and Middletons are British, unlike the Donaldsons who are not Danish.

As for a strom in a teacup, I can imagine what the reaction would be if the Middletons met any foreign royals on an official or semi-official event - and Middletons are British, unlike the Donaldsons who are not Danish.
Yes I can imagine the DM would have a field day with the Middletons, but in this case it would seem as if what must have been an invited appearance by the Donaldsons is upsetting only to some non-Danes.

But a very unpolite one? These grandparents spend their time looking after their grand-kids so that the children's parents can work for the Danish people. But no, they should not be present when the Prince of Wales and wife meet British/Australian expats in Denmark... Very unpolite towards them, IMHO. :flowers:

But a very unpolite one? These grandparents spend their time looking after their grand-kids so that the children's parents can work for the Danish people. But no, they should not be present when the Prince of Wales and wife meet British/Australian expats in Denmark... Very unpolite towards them, IMHO. :flowers:
Well Mr and Mrs Donaldson are rather high profile and well connected Australian/British expats in Denmark.

Artemisia
I agree that their presence was probably due to an invitation; as Australians, it is only understandable they might have been asked to greet their future King.
But the point is that John&Susan Donaldson are there because they are subjects to the British Queen (Susan is British and I think John Donaldson holds Australian and British citizenship, just like Mary before her wedding).
And the tree planting was an event to commemorate the Queen's 60th jubilee.
The Donaldsons were not included when e.g. the Norwegian or Swedish royals visited Denmark.

Is there a storm in a teacup whenever Kate's parents meet the British royals?

Last edited:

Correct.
John Donaldson and Susan Moody attended today's service and todays ceremony, celebrating QEII, because they are subjects of QEII.

It would indeed have looked weird had Duchess Camilla's family attended a similar service in the Danish Seaman Chruch in London, because as far as I know the Parker-Bowles are not Danish subjects let alone Lutherans.

Correct.
John Donaldson and Susan Moody attended today's service and todays ceremony, celebrating QEII, because they are subjects of QEII.

It would indeed have looked weird had Duchess Camilla's family attended a similar service in the Danish Seaman Chruch in London, because as far as I know the Parker-Bowles are not Danish subjects let alone Lutherans.

The Parker-Bowles family belongs to the Catholic Church.
Agree with everything else; since the appearance of the Donaldsons was not viewed as inappropriate by the Danish people, we could probably move on.
They weren't representing the Danish Royal Family, but honouring their Monarch - Queen Elizabeth.

What is wrong if they are invited to an offical event celebrating British religious beliefs in the Danmark of today? IMHO that's really fitting that they are there!

Nothing is wrong with being invited but staying in the background. But this is not what they did. They took center stage by planting a tree with C&C as if they were not only guests but there in official capacity, like playing hosts.

But why am I surprised, the Donaldsons just love the cameras as we could see on previous occasions. I am tempted to say "like father, like daughter".

Other royal in-laws doing the same would be eaten alive (Spain, Britain, Netherlands come to my mind).

Actually, there is nothing out of the ordinary here! Don't forget that TRH also include visits to expatriate communities!

The Danish Seaman Churches are state sponsored because they are a part of the Danish State Church. I can imagine something similar applies to this church in Copenhagen. This being the official English Church, St. Albans.

Actually, the Danish churches abroad are not state sponsored!
Their upkeep is paid for by the local members, by sponsors and charities!
The Church of England - though an established church - is usually financed in similar way in the UK as well as abroad; there is no church tax in the UK!

As far as I know there are no specific Presbyterian churches in DK. That would explain the precense of
John Donaldson and Susan Moody. - Not to mention one little detail:
They are still subjects of QEII.
There are Presbyterian churches in Copenhagen and in Fredericia, but AFAIK they're mainly attended by German, Dutch and French speaking Protestants of the Calvinist variety! As for the Donaldsons it makes no particular difference since it's not unusual for Anglophone
Presbyterians and Anglicans to attend the service of whatever denomination available!

viv

Mary and Frederik hosted a dinner at their place last night.
It was last night, wasn't it, Muhler??

Yes, a pretty informal dinner. CP couple to CP couple.
I don't know where C&C are dining tonight. Presumably at the British embassy - In natural continuation of today's celebration of QEII.

The big show will be tomorrow where the Regent Couple will host a grand dinner in honour of the distinguished representatives of QEII, C&C.

All of this discussion would have been rendered redundant if the DRF had provided a proper representative to attend the church service. Was there no-one within the extended DRF who could spare an hour this morning to satisfy protocol?

If the Middletons were ever to take part in an official engagement with a visiting royal, without a member of the BRF present, there would be big questions asked. The Middletons would be accused of being grasping social climbers with ideas above their station. Then again, from what we've seen of Kate's parents, I don't believe they would ever agree to such a thing.

Back
Top Bottom