The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall visit Denmark: March 24-27, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Madam Royale.

I have been trying to find out if there is an undergroung walkway between each of the palaces. As Charles and Camilla were dining with Frederik & Mary and there has been no report of them leaving or crossing the square, I assume there must be an underground passage.
Can someone please tell me if there is such a walkway? Thanks

Not at all, marfre :)

I believe that Christian VII's and Christian IX's Palaces' are connected via the "Colonnade", which is located on the first level and supported by eight columns.

As a side, I just applaud how Mary and Camilla have taken to their respective roles like ducks to water. Both women have what I'd consider to be such a warm and kindhearted demeanour and compliment their husbands very well indeed. I think both Frederik and Charles are very fortunate to have these two women in their lives and I'm sure they know it. They bring out the best in them and are obviously a wonderful support.

Last edited:
Have you considered creating a thread called 'member martyrdom'? You appear to be on a roll of late..

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll bear that in mind. Maybe I'll put the idea to all those who have been in touch with me to say they feel they can't come near the Danish forum here because they know their opinion that Mary and Fred are not perfection personified is not welcome. It would be nice to have somewhere to post where the usual Australian/Danish suspects don't come along to try and shut down criticism.

Also, I noticed that the aircraft must be reserved for the use of HM family. It bears The Queen's regnal initials along the side. I also like that the red carpet was rolled out. Always a nice touch.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll bear that in mind. Maybe I'll put the idea to all those who have been in touch with me...

You're most welcome. Happy to oblige :)

Last edited:
Maybe I'll put the idea to all those who have been in touch with me to say they feel they can't come near the Danish forum here because they know their opinion that Mary and Fred are not perfection personified is not welcome. It would be nice to have somewhere to post where the usual Australian/Danish suspects don't come along to try and shut down criticism.

I think most members are grown-ups who know very well that Frederik and Mary are not perfection personified and don't mind criticism...but I don't think it's so surprising that members react to posters who are nothing but negative.

Maybe if you really tried you could find something positive (or at least neutral) to say from time to time??

Last edited:

This is not a thread about posting habits, please stay on topic of this thread - thanks!

I thought Mary and Frederik welcomed Charles and Camilla in a very friendly and respectful manner.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall attended the Sunday Service at St Albans Anglican
Church in Copenhagen on March 25, 2012.

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

The coat itself is fine, but the appliqué detailing is just awful. The Duchess also seems quite taken with this particular style of hate having worn it quite regularly of late. It suits her though and the print of the dress, she also wears well.

I notice that the Crown Princess's father and step mother also attended the event.

I like Camilla's coat; could do without the Paddington Bear hat though.

Camilla seemed to be looking down the lens of the camera in a few of those shots.... wonder if she was seeking the camera out ??????

A question for our informed Danish members.

The state church is of course Lutheran, but what would be considered the next populous denomination? Is it Anglican? And are Catholicism and Islam considered prominent religious ideologies within the Kingdom? Indeed, are there any mosques in Denmark? As daft as that question may be, I confess I can't recall having seen one when I've visited, but it would make sense that there would be. Wouldn't there?

Last edited:
I admit to being skeptical about the rumours of this visit, but here I am with egg on my face :). The only consolation is that a few may have more eggs on their faces than yours truly!

It did actually turn out to be a Scandinavian whistlestop tour apparently without the wind mills of Samsoe ..... apparently!

viv

You are so sweet and funny. There was lots of doubts so the egg is well scrambled.

Once again the thread had to be cleaned up, further off topic posts will be removed without notice!

I thought the greeting at the airport seemed very warm and natural, much more so than I would have expected as I was under the impression that there's no longstanding personal connection between the two couples. I guess if you observe a situation looking for something to criticize you'll always find something - this is real life, after all, not a movie set - but when I watch the video of the arrival I see four people who seem to be managing quite well.

I'm looking forward to pictures from the dinner!

That's a bit odd. Do they have some sort of public position in Denmark?
Hardly, they are not even residing in Denmark offcially.

It's just unbelievable, from the picture it looks that they are among the officials. Was there really no one in DRF who could have accompanied Charles & Camilla to this occasion?

Or maybe they just got on so well at the dinner last night, that C&C
asked them to come...;)

Last edited:
Hardly, they are not even residing in Denmark offcially.

It's just unbelievable, from the picture it looks that they are among the officials. Was there really no one in DRF who could have accompanied Charles & Camilla to this occasion?

It is possible they are the informal hosts due to the fact they are Anglican where as the DRF is Lutheran.

There are pictures of Mr Donaldson shovelling dirt onto the tree Charles had just planted, so it appears he was officially part of the engagement.

Am I the only one who thinks this is completely weird? Everywhere Charles and Camilla went in Norway and Sweden they were accompanied by members of the royal family, indeed most often by the King and Queen. Today, Charles and Camilla are being shown around by the non-royal in laws of the Crown Prince who not only don't live in Denmark but aren't Danish at all?

It would be like the BRF sending the Middletons to show Mary and Fred round London.

They are not shown around.
As you can see from the official itinerary there is only one engagement today, an Anglican church service and afterwards the couple was honoured with planting a tree. This is obviously a resting day for Charles&Camilla.

There are pictures of Mr Donaldson shovelling dirt onto the tree Charles had just planted, so it appears he was officially part of the engagement.

Am I the only one who thinks this is completely weird? Everywhere Charles and Camilla went in Norway and Sweden they were accompanied by members of the royal family, indeed most often by the King and Queen. Today, Charles and Camilla are being shown around by the non-royal in laws of the Crown Prince who not only don't live in Denmark but aren't Danish at all?

It would be like the BRF sending the Middletons to show Mary and Fred round London.

No you are not. Mary's parents are no official representatives of Denmark, why should they deal with the british CPs at an official event. It looks very attention seeking to me. Doesnt the DRF have other royals around to accompagny Charles & Camilla, like Joachim or Benedikte?
It would have been ok for the Donaldsons to attend along with Mary, but alone and without any Danish royal around.

Its certainly a first-timer for such a constellation, and not a good one.

PPE picture gallery
Im sure a Danish Royal member could've accompanied Charles & Camilla on this event. I don't understand why the Donaldson's did when they have no connection or position in Denmark to accompany the couple especially when its a working/official visit.

Just a couple of more pictures from today's event.
- Prince Charles and Camilla attended a Sunday Service at St Albans Anglican Church
- Prince Charles and Camilla arrive for the service
- Prince Charles and Camilla sign visitor's book
- Charles and Camilla talk to war veterans
- Camilla

I am a bit surprised no member of the royal family accompanied Charles and Camilla, and even more so that the Donaldsons did.
To be fair though, the Official Program posted by Princess Robijn doesn't mention any Danish royal presence for today's event, whereas other events clearly state which royals are to accompany Prince Charles and Camilla. Perhaps this was a private visit, just an attendance of a Sunday Church Service.

Last edited:
A question for our informed Danish members.

The state church is of course Lutheran, but what would be considered the next populous denomination? Is it Anglican? And are Catholicism and Islam considered prominent religious ideologies within the Kingdom? Indeed, are there any mosques in Denmark? As daft as that question may be, I confess I can't recall having seen one when I've visited, but it would make sense that there would be. Wouldn't there?

The division is as follows:
Protestant.
Muslims.
Chatolics.
Other faiths: I.e. Buddhist, Jews, Asa, Orthodox Christians and so on.

There are mosques in DK. But none with minerats. - Yet. (No one can figure out who should pay).
As well as Buddhist temples.

No, this is not a good comparison. Ok, if Catherine was a Danish citizen before her marriage and her parents met Fred and Mary the evening before, talked about church going habits and were invited by F&M, that would be the same.

But maybe the church officials invited John and Susan to the service, because they wanted to have familiar faces for the Royal guests and these were people both connected with the church, with the Royal hosts and able to speak both languages?

I am a bit surprised no member of the royal family accompanied Charles and Camilla, and even more so that the Donaldsons did.
To be fair though, the Official Program posted by Princess Robijn doesn't mention any Danish royal presence for today's event, whereas other events clearly state which royals are to accompany Prince Charles and Camilla. .
Not all other events. Charles and Camilla attend about half of the events "on their own", presumably with
Master of Ceremonies, Christian Eugen Olsen, and Lene Balleby accompanying them like today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom