The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall visit Denmark: March 24-27, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^exactly, I thought Norway was the best too. everything about it seemed very genuine and relaxed :)

I'm not saying they were unhappy in Denmark, but something seemed off to me
Perhaps that something which seemed off (at least to me) was the age gap of ~20 years between the (crown)-princes.
It kind of highlighted the absurdity of Prince Charles' situation. Being nearer to the reigning couples than to the cp couples in age, but not in rank. Still waiting for the real job at an age when others have already reigned for decades (in Scandinavia) or think of retirement (non-royals).

But I thought Charles&Camilla really seemed to enjoy their time in Denmark although - quite naturally - looking more tired than e.g. in Norway. And the Danes (including the DRF) welcomed them with great warmth.

Last edited:
Thanks again Muhler for your time and efforts. I thought the visit every bit as relaxed and enjoyable for all as it was for C&C's time in Norway. It's funny how different people view the same events and get different vibes from those events. I didn't see anything - off - with the visit to Denmark. All the royals have done these kinds of events many times before and nothing was amiss in their interaction with one another. Also I Can just imagine Charles and Camilla arguing over the TV remote. Just like any other normal household.

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #13, 2012.
Written by Annelise Weimann. Marianne Singer, Henrik Salling and the Ulrik Ulriksen.

Here is an example of why royal visits are awfully good PR, the new york times is running an article on Forbyldsen (I hope I spell it correctly) without mentioning the duchess of Cornwall's fan visit but I am certain someone read about her interest!:whistling:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/a...o-the-show-forbrydelsen.html?pagewanted=2&hpw

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an example of why royal visits are awfully good PR, the new york times is running an article on Forbyldsen (I hope I spell it correctly) without mentioning the duchess of Cornwall's fan visit but I am certain someone read about her interest!:whistling:

Nice article, and most probably connected to Camilla's newly revealed interest indeed.
As a matter of fact, I'm waiting for the arrival of the DVD set of The Killing I'd ordered: good PR indeed. :D

Continuation of C&C's visit. This is about their last day in DK.

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #14, 2012.
Written by Trine Larsen, Ulrik Ulriksen, Ken Richter & Henrik Salling.

Prince Charles of Frederik went to Avedøre heating plant, which supply a very large segment of the residents of Copenhagen with central heating. Charles had wished to see the plant which is among the most efficient heating plants in the world.
Manager Thomas Dalsgaard said after the visit: "Prince Charles asked many good questions and you can clearly tell that this is a field where he has a great knowledge."

C&C also visited Rud. Rasmussen, which make furnitures by hand and has done so for more than 140 years. Among the designers of the furnitures are Kaare Klint and Hans Jørgen Wegner.
As Prince Charles is very fond of well designed furnitures this had his interest. And as such he was presented with a classic chair to bring back home.

Charles and Frederik also visited the social housing complex Gyldenrisparken, which after a thorough renovation is now a very attractive place to live. The residents are on purpose very mixed with elderly and young families together. The housing complex is also carbon neutral.
200 residents had turned out on this weekday and Prince Charles - as well as Frederik got an enthusiastic reception. Charles took his time chatting with as many as possible.
Last item on the agenda was a visit to the elder centre, which is a part of the complex. Here they saw the fitness room and the billard room, where Frederik challenged Charles to a shot of billard. Sitting at a table with some of the elder users of the centre, Frederik and Charles enjoyed a cucumber sandwich.

In the mean time Camilla and Mary went to Clinical Research Centre. Here patients can volunteer to try new medication, before it is put up for sale. There are sixteen such centres in the world, three of them in DK.
Camilla and Mary got a tour of the place and then they got their bouguets.
The two flowergirls, Phillippa and Amalie had dressed up in their finest ready to present the flowers when Mary and Camilla exited a door.
However, Six year old Phillippa became visbly dissapointed. She had looked forward to presenting her flowers to Mary and not to the other lady (Camilla), so Mary had to offer a few words as comfort.

Then it was off to Jutland.
Where C&C visited VIA University College in the town of Horsens. Here students from 60 nations are busy studying environmentally friendly technologies. (There is a heap of money in that research!)
C&C was also presented to a municipal project about recycling old bicycles. The cycles get a coat of pink paint and there are (almost) as good as new. It amused Charles to learn that EU ministers are supposed to ride those bikes, when there is a summit in Horsens later this year.

Last stop before flying home was the ecological farm Barritskov. A company called Aarstiderne = The Seasons, pack and send boxes with ecological fruit and vegetables to 40.000 Danish homes from here. That interested C&C and indeed they got a couple of boxes with fruits to with them home.

You are welcome, Tarlita. :)

C&C also visited Rud. Rasmussen, which make furnitures by hand and has done so for more than 140 years. Among the designers of the furnitures are Kaare Klint and Hans Jørgen Wegner*.
As Prince Charles is very fond of well designed furnitures this had his interest. And as such he was presented with a classic chair to bring back home.

I talked to my brother who works there - he actually got to talk with the Prince. (The Crown Prince was supposed to accompany him but that was changed for some reason). First he saw the workshop and was apparantly climbing over the work benches to shake hands with the cabinetmakers asking all sorts of questions.

Afterwards he was going to the the shop, where he would be presented with the Faaborg Chair (and a book about Kaare Klint BTW). There was a "press isle" in the shop where all the journalists stood etc.

However, the BRF doesn't accept private gifts in public, so after the PoW had seen the shop the journalists were ushered out by the PR liason or someone so the Prince could recieve his gift in peace.

What the british PR liason didn't know was, that the PoW wouldn't actually get the chair. Instead wood samples would be sent to Britain and then Charles would decide which to use and the actual chair would come later. And this has all been agreed on when they were going from the workshop to the shop!

So now my brother and his colleague was standing in the press isle and the Prince had nothing to do, so he struck up conversation with the two asking about business, if people payed on time and making small-talk. Behind them a small group of people were standing, and Charles adressed them asking if they also worked in the shop. "Oh, no" they replied. They were PR-people from Carl Hansen & Søn. Charles just sighed - and turned to my brother to resume conversation. He obviously didn't want to talk to press people.

In all my brother found the Prince very charming, interested and adept (in lack of at better word in English). It had been quite an experience.

* This must be a misunderstanding. Rud. Rasmussen does not make any Wegner furniture. Their owners, Carl Hansen & Søn, however, makes quite a few. RR mainly does in Mogens Koch and Kaare Klint and Rud. Rasmussen himself of course.

Thank you for the first-hand account, nwinther! :flowers:
Interesting to read the opinion of your brother on Prince Charles; as far as I know, everyone who has ever personally met him thinks he's a charming and very nice person, as opposed to the cold, distant person often portrayed by the media.

Thank you for the first-hand account, nwinther! :flowers:
Interesting to read the opinion of your brother on Prince Charles; as far as I know, everyone who has ever personally met him thinks he's a charming and very nice person, as opposed to the cold, distant person often portrayed by the media.

Second-hand account to be exact. Yeah, the PoW have been on the recieving end of some pretty harsh critizism and have never been given the benefit of the doubt. Sure, he made some pretty poor choices - but that was hardly reason enough to put him through the gauntlet. And apparantly he's very nice and competent, and I guess that UK will have a good king when that day comes.

In all my brother found the Prince very charming, interested and adept (in lack of at better word in English). It had been quite an experience.
Good to know that your brother had a nice experience!

Rud. Rasmussen does not make any Wegner furniture. Their owners, Carl Hansen & Søn, however, makes quite a few. RR mainly does in Mogens Koch and Kaare Klint and Rud. Rasmussen himself of course.

Good news as well, I'm not really into Wegener-furniture! I had one of his chairs for a number of years; the cat was more fond of it than I! :D

viv

Back
Top Bottom