The Future of the Danish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put it in the same bin that I did the one claiming Queen Elizabeth had ordered a perpetually drunk Camilla to rehab! :ROFLMAO:

I saw that one! I thought it was hilarious!

And poor Kate's been pregnant with twin girls for about 13 months now. No wonder she's vomiting.

Is Mary really a big deal in Australia, or are they just trying to sell rags?

Is Mary really a big deal in Australia, or are they just trying to sell rags?

She is fairly popular. She's regarded as "our Mary" and because of her we feel a sort of proprietary interest in the Danish Royals. But the magazine is publishing this rubbish to sell rags. There is quite a large market for "Woman's Day" and its rival for that particular market: "New Idea". As far as I'm concerned they're both full of rubbish. They write absurd stuff about the British RF, too.

I cringed when I read that story in the link posted. It is so full of inaccuracies that I am embarrassed for its author.

I don't know, sometimes I don't think they realise the difference between a reigning Queen and a Queen Consort. However as she is 'Our Mary' then yes I think they do wish that she would be the Monarch. This makes me think that if ever we decided to get rid of the Windsors, some sections of the media would be promoting one of Marys younger children to be King/Queen of Australia.

Wouldn't surprise me at all! Perhaps "New Idea" will run with that one. :D

Last edited:
I think it's kinda charming that Australia is proud of their "our Mary" and that they follow her, even after ten years with Mary in Denmark as our Crown Princess. But Mary also always remembers her homeland. Mary is lucky, she has two countries where she is "ours". I know from several interviews that both she and Frederik are honored by it. We heard it last year when F&M was visiting the country. I don't think we see it with other royals come from other countries. That some Australian media then is so busy with getting Mary to be Queen that they make their own stories I guess we have to live with. I saw a comment on Woman's Days facebook page which I found quite good: We are proud of her allready - no need to worry dear woman's day.

Last edited:
And you are quite correct when you question their knowledge of the succession . . . they are utterly clueless and arrogant in their ignorance. The next story to come along to support their "cause" will be Q Margrethe arranged for Mary to marry her son so she can reign seeing as how he's a sandwich short of a picnic. (Hot picnic though)

Love it! Thanks for starting my day off with a good laugh:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::flowers::flowers:

[...] I don't think we see it with other royals come from other countries. That some Australian media then is so busy with getting Mary to be Queen that they make their own stories I guess we have to live with. [...]

The Argentinean prensa de corazón (boulevard press) and other periodicals and even newspapers have been busy with inventing the most idiot stories regarding Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti as well. From the very beginning of her relationship (2001) there have been articles claiming: "Now it is for sure! Máxima will be La Reina!"

:flowers:

Mary is lucky, she has two countries where she is "ours". I know from several interviews that both she and Frederik are honored by it.

Three, really, because they're considered "ours" on Greenland as well. I thought the fact that Mary was being regarded their daughter-in-law on Greenland was so adorable :D

Over Christmas, I was in Copenhagen for the first time and we spent christmas eve in a danish bodega with some Danes and lots of tourists from many different countries.

It was a lot of fun, and later in the evening I couldn't resist asking the Danes next to our table what they thought of the monarchy. Here is what they said (there was no disagreement among them):

- the monarchy is very popular
- Margrethe is very popular. She will not and should not abdicate
- Frederik and Mary are very popular. They will make a great King & Queen
- Henrik is not popular at all. They called him a 'french snob' and the 'french red wine clown'. His 'clown Danish' is terrible because he doesn't bother to learn it properly and he keeps embarrassing and humilitating the Queen (everything has been discussed at length on this forum: I want to be King, fleeing to Cayx like a sullen child, absence on the Queen's birthday). The Danes mentioned every single incident, Henrik-gate it seems to be a popular topic.
- Joachim is not popular either. He's an arrogant snob like his father.
- There seems to be indifference towards Marie (two of the Danes couldn't recall her name) but she's ok as she - like Mary - speeks much better Danish than Henrik.

So these are 'first hand opinions' and I thought they could add to this thread. Merry Christmas! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment and information. I like to know the views of the Danish royal family over there.

The danish queen is very popular, so from that point of view there is no reason whatsoever for her to abdicate.

Having said that: she has had quite serious problems with her back. If it get worse, and she is unable to do the work the way she herself think it should be done, I can see an abdication in the cards. And I don't think that anyone would blame her.

She has the Queen (Elizabeth II) as role model, and has repeatedly said that she believes her role is for life, so she will never abdicate back problems or not.

She has the Queen (Elizabeth II) as role model, and has repeatedly said that she believes her role is for life, so she will never abdicate back problems or not.

If they get very serious, I think she will. But there is no way of knowing - your guess is as good as mine.

One reason why I think she would consider abdicating if her back problems gets really serious is that Fredrick and Mary are very popular in Denmark. She would leave the monarchy in safe hands. If you compare to the situation in the UK, Charles and Camillas position isn't as firm and secure among people as F&M.

Here in Sweden, Victoria and Daniel is much more popular than the current king and queen. So I think that an abdication is possible here as well. But our king is in good health, and Victoria is pregnant. I have no reason to think that the king would want to see his daughter in the same position as he was - reigning and having small children at home. So if an abdication would happen here, it's quite far into the future.

But we will have to wait and see what the future holds.

Last edited:
I think she just abdicated when you feel you can no longer meet in the best way your duties as queen.
The Kingdom of Denmark is very popular and a waiver will not undermine the monarchy.

If they get very serious, I think she will. But there is no way of knowing - your guess is as good as mine.

One reason why I think she would consider abdicating if her back problems gets really serious is that Fredrick and Mary are very popular in Denmark. She would leave the monarchy in safe hands. If you compare to the situation in the UK, Charles and Camillas position isn't as firm and secure among people as F&M.

1 - She has said at least 5 times that she will not abdicate, and that she sees her role for life, so I am 100% sure when it comes to this.

2 - I did not compare the situation in Denmark to the situation in the UK, I just said she has the Queen (Elizabeth II) as role model, and she had not abdicated regardless Charles being popular or not.

Last edited:
I don't know but have a feeling this holiday for Fred and Mary is a sort of take it now while you can holiday because things are going to change. Maybe just taking on lot more of the queens work load

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I understand QEii has stated or it was reported somewhere in the event of Dementia or a stroke she would step down so it is reasonable to assume The Danish Queen might have the same thoughts.

1 - She has said at least 5 times that she will not abdicate, and that she sees her role for life, so I am 100% sure when it comes to this.

2 - I did not compare the situation in Denmark to the situation in the UK, I just said she has the Queen (Elizabeth II) as role model. and she had not abdicated regardless Charles being popular or not.

I think we're talking about different aspects here. Yes, she has said that she has no intention of abdicating. I have no reason to doubt her. Having said that, I also think that if things get much worse with her back (or some other kind of illness), she would reconsider that decision. And with much worse, I'm talking about a situation where she - as an example - might be bedridden, and thus unable to perform most of her duties. Since she takes her duties very seriously, I also think that she would have a big problem with not being able to do them. Hence the option to abdicate in such a situation.

The fact that Queen Elizabeth will never abdicate (we totally agree about that) has nothing to do with Charles popularity. But the fact that F&M are very popular in Denmark might be a factor in a future decision for Queen M.

I think she just abdicated when you feel you can no longer meet in the best way your duties as queen.
The Kingdom of Denmark is very popular and a waiver will not undermine the monarchy.

I think we have similar thoughts on the situation. The day the danish queen can't perform her duties, she will consider abdicating. Not because she takes her duties lightly - quite the opposite.

I understand QEii has stated or it was reported somewhere in the event of Dementia or a stroke she would step down so it is reasonable to assume The Danish Queen might have the same thoughts.

Interesting! Do you (or anyone else) know more about what QEII has said on this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I believe the Queen to be a lady of her word, if she says she won't abdicate I can't see her doing so. What I can potentially see is Fredrik and Mary doing more of the 'heavy' work (in fact IMO this is already happening), overseas tours and the like while Magarethe continues with less intense but equally (if in fact not more) important duties. For example even if she had to use a wheelchair because she couldn't walk/stand she could still attend Council of State meetings and sign legislation into law, she could still formally appoint a Prime Minister, receive foreign Ambassadors, give audiences and attend some events if they were hosted at one of the Royal Palaces.
Just because F&M are popular is not a good enough reason for an equally popular Queen to abdicate. I feel QM knows this and feels if she did it would make a mockery of the idea of Monarchy.

I've never seen such a statement. I do know that in the event of QEII being mentally or physically unable to perform her role a regency would be established under the Regency Act. The Queen would still be monarch, but Charles would serve as Regent.

:previous: And I am betting the same for Queen Margrethe. Princess Elizabeth pledged her life, be it long or short and Queen Margrethe has said Elizabeth is her model.

Neither of these Queens Regnants will abdicate, it just isn't in their personal lexicon nor is it in their hearts. Both have well-prepared heirs to pick up the slack as they age. That's what heirs are for.

Should dementia or Alzheimer's become an issue I believe the Heir will become Regent as there is something sort of callous and distasteful to even think that someone would say, "Your Majesty, if you will just take these cognitive tests and, should you fail, we will require your abdication. Nah, not happening.

:previous: If she were to fail the cognitive tests, she would lack the capacity to abdicate.

I believe that Queen Elizabeth's vow to serve for life is wide enough to accommodate a decision that the best way she can serve her country is in fact to step down, but she won't do it because of the Edward VIII factor.

Ish and MARG are right. If the Queen gets dementia (which is very unlikely since she already is almost 90) or a stroke a regency will be created. She will still be monarch and Charles will serve as regent.

If Margrethe becomes unable to perform her duties, she'll still be monarch, but Frederik will act as regent as he has done several times before.

The same will happen in Norway. Haakon has as Frederik served as regent several times including when Harald had the operations, and when King Olav suffered a stroke in may 1990 to he died on January 17,1991 Harald served as regent.

Last edited:
I think that Her Majesty has a similar work model to Queen Elizabeth II which is to serve till death or in serious cases a doctor's notice advices her to either slow down or abdicate. In both cases both Queens have been slowing by delicate work to the future heirs in QMII case having Frederick being regents a few times a year or having Mary take on some of her patronages. QEII and I will add Prince Philip have been do that notably this year being most probably her last representation at CHOGM from rumors I have heard she might appoint Charles or William to represent her in the next ones

Over Christmas, I was in Copenhagen for the first time and we spent christmas eve in a danish bodega with some Danes and lots of tourists from many different countries.

It was a lot of fun, and later in the evening I couldn't resist asking the Danes next to our table what they thought of the monarchy. Here is what they said (there was no disagreement among them):

- the monarchy is very popular
- Margrethe is very popular. She will not and should not abdicate
- Frederik and Mary are very popular. They will make a great King & Queen
- Henrik is not popular at all. They called him a 'french snob' and the 'french red wine clown'. His 'clown Danish' is terrible because he doesn't bother to learn it properly and he keeps embarrassing and humilitating the Queen (everything has been discussed at length on this forum: I want to be King, fleeing to Cayx like a sullen child, absence on the Queen's birthday). The Danes mentioned every single incident, Henrik-gate it seems to be a popular topic.
- Joachim is not popular either. He's an arrogant snob like his father.
- There seems to be indifference towards Marie (two of the Danes couldn't recall her name) but she's ok as she - like Mary - speeks much better Danish than Henrik.

So these are 'first hand opinions' and I thought they could add to this thread. Merry Christmas! :)

Thanks Duke of Marmalade. It's always interesting to hear what they think of the monarchy and the current royal family people on them more in our case Danish. I believe that all opinions which transported us agree largely with what us inform and our Danish friends we have here. And I was sure that the "adventures" of Henrik would be a popular topic there. As for the Queen as many here believe that it will never give up. Just perhaps for health reasons to assume the crown prince couple more obligations.

Very pity then that Duke of Marmalade asked only the next table. Probably had to ask the entire danish bodega :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, let us keep in mind that the Duke of Marmalade asked the opinion of a table next to him. That opinon is one. There are more opinions, of course.

:)

Well, let us keep in mind that the Duke of Marmalade asked the opinion of a table next to him. That opinon is one. There are more opinions, of course.

:)

Yes, but it is also worth keeping in mind for us as international posters on a public internet forum, that for a monarchy the opinion of the average person in the street in that monarchy *is* more relevant than our opinions

We posters often tend to judge a monarchy from the outside looking in, without really understanding what it is like in that particular society

I have met a nice Danish couple two years ago, in a gîte near Bormes-les-Mimosas. The man claimed that he was related to the Von Blicken-Finecke family even, he told about a deep rift and a feud in that family and how he was "forced" to go to London, anyway, interesting ears-popping things. Enfin: he had no good word for the Danish monarchy, describing them as "a dreadful shame for Denmark", with met loud approval by his girlfriend....

:whistling:

Needless to say I soon switched from topic... I had the same experience this year near Málaga. A very modern couple from Coín (he with a hipster beard, she in fancy clothes, you can draw the image), both succesful and no reasons to be negative, were crushing on the Spanish royals. The only one whom met some approval in their eyes was "Mama's little boy" (= Don Felipe) but for the rest they were harsh. Especially Doña Letizia, a modern woman one would say, found no mercy in their eyes. Which was for me the proof that apparently "modern monarchy" not necessarily works for "young and modern" people. But also here: it was only the opinion of that couple. So I am careful to extrapolate it to the rest of Spain...

Last edited:
:previous: Why is the issue of abdication continuously raised when Queen Margrethe has consistently made it clear that she will not abdicate???!!! :bang::bang:

Back
Top Bottom