The Future of the Danish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to ask you members a question.

As you may know one of my pet-opinions is that M&F have taken over from the Regent Couple in most things but name.
Examples: A summer cruise, that apart from Guards Hussars, is identical to a cruise by the Regent Couple.
Normally QMII would rush home when a general election is called, including cancelling something as important as a state visit. This time she just left it to Frederik.
QMII is the commander-in-chief, yet when the navy turned 500 a year ago, she made one appearance and left the rest to M&F, including the highly symbolic naval review.
The regular visits to the Faroese Islands and Greenland are also indentical to the Regent Couple's.
Prince Henrik has basically retired.
Frederik is handling more and more public audiences.
In the documentary, The Kingdom behind the scenes, QMII admitted she is listening more and more to Frederik and allow him to put a significant thumbprint on the events.

Now, my question to you is: Are you in agreement with me? Also in comparison to how other RF's are handling it?
Or am I over-interpreting things?

I will take a backseat in this one and mainly listen with interest to your opinions.
IMO you are over-interpreting things a bit.
I don't think that Frederik&Mary have taken over in most things but name and I also don't think that Prince Henrik has basically retired. He was with the Queen in the USA and in Greenland and he will go to Russia next week. He still has his engagements in Dk and abroad, although fewer than before. I would call it half-retirement.

Queen Margrethe is still very active and present IMO, except when she is on holiday. She seems to have the attitude: Whatever happens during that time, my son and heir is Regent and he can handle it. (I mean how would it look if she rushed back? Wouldn't that make the whole "Regent"-position a bit ridiculous?)

Your examples: To me the summer cruise seemed very similar to those in 2004, 2006 and 2008. AFAIR Frederik&Mary haven't done any regular visits to the Faroese Islands and Greenland except those in the company of the Regent Couple/Queen (Frederik had a few engagements there but no official visit). AFAIR the Regent Couple attended the naval parade and reception, the 2 most important events of the 500th anniversary (but perhaps you mean another event?).

To me it seems the Regent Couple stepped back to a certain amount to let the CP Couple step in/up. F&M certainly have taken over more and more duties and gained more importance in the last years. Currently it seems the two couples are somehow sharing the responsibilites (2 couples - 2 palaces in Amalienborg) - perhaps more so than in other monarchies, except in the Netherlands - but I would say it's 50/50 at the moment, not more.

HRHHermione said:
Isn't she known to be a heavy smoker? That's worrisome

I thought she quit when the palace went no smoking?

OHHHH but NO. And since it is her own home, noone gets to dictate what one does at home, not even anti-smoking laws applying to public buildings. Allthough I'm sure she respects the law whenever she is out and about.

I for one, would certanly not voluntere for the job of telling her to not smoke in the palace :)

:lol: No the Queen will have a cigarette in her hand until her last breath if she can help it!
I realise she's a heavy smoker and isn't young anymore (though 71 is not really old anymore either) but my grandmother is a very heavy smoker, 87, and has no illness related to the smoking so I think we'll have Q Margrethe around for awhile :)

As you may know one of my pet-opinions is that M&F have taken over from the Regent Couple in most things but name.
........ Now, my question to you is: Are you in agreement with me? Also in comparison to how other RF's are handling it?
Or am I over-interpreting things?

Muhler - IMO the situation is not entirely clear and unambigous, if you like. The CPLy couple has done at least one Dannebrog-cruise before, right?? And the alarm bells didn't go off at the time, if I rememberl correctly (but I'm not sure that I do :D!).

My opinion: HM is slowly stepping up the CPly couple, enabling her to take more time out. This has been going on for the past few years, it's nothing unusual! As for now I take it that the couple regent has been hiding in France, it's vacation time and there's also HRH's wine fields to attend to!
If health really is an issue here the one to worry about is Prince Henrik, IMO. BB keeps mentioning that he has trouble walking. Old age is catching up with him...

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO Fred and Mary are picking up more responsibilities and that is no more different in Denmark than other countries. Royals unlike you and I (or can't afford to retire) don't really have the option of "retiring" unless you count Juliana in the Netherlands where she abdicated. But I don't think she stopped working per se. So royals don't retire, they just cut back their activities.

As the Queen and DoE are getting older, you can see Charles and Camilla picking up more responsibilities. I would say the same with Beatrix (except she has WA and Maxima traveling with her). One wonders how it would have been if Claus had lived longer (but thats the topic of another thread).

I can honestly see Fred and Mary doing more international traveling on behalf of the Queen and Henrik. That get very tiring whether you are young or old, or just inbetween.:lol:

And lets not forget that Joachim did some significant traveling this year as well, if I am not mistaken.

It seems to me they've been doing a gradual transition over the past couple of years. I'm sure Queen Margrethe can see, as many people have remarked on, that Frederik and Mary make an extremely good team. The Queen and Prince Consort are getting older, they've both had health conditions that have been made public and may well have some issues we don't know about - they may not have the energy and stamina needed to go full out anymore.

I think doing things gradually like that makes the most sense and it seems to me that most of the royal families take that approach. In the UK The Prince of Wales has played a prominent role for many years now, but I did notice that the announcement that Prince Phillip was going to be cutting back a bit with some of his patronages, (at 90 years old!), coincided nicely, and probably not entirely coincidentally, with Prince William marrying Kate Middleton. I would expect the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to play a more and more prominent role over the next couple of years, and if QEII enjoys the same long life her mother did I think there will come a time when Charles and Camilla are the de facto regent couple.

I guess for all of the families things really vary depending on how long the monarch lives and what kind of health they enjoy in their old age. 75 or 80 years old looks very different on different people.

women tend to live longer than man, but thats a whole new topic.

as for this matter, a ederly monarch doesnt necessary pass on more duties to the heir just because he is sick or dying.
its USUAL in ALL monarchies, that a King/Queen when is old enough, makes the heir work harder on their belief. In case, age makes a trick and takes the life of the monarch, the heir is full ready take their place!

Last edited:
:lol: No the Queen will have a cigarette in her hand until her last breath if she can help it!
I realise she's a heavy smoker and isn't young anymore (though 71 is not really old anymore either) but my grandmother is a very heavy smoker, 87, and has no illness related to the smoking so I think we'll have Q Margrethe around for awhile :)

I hope so.

The Danish monarchy seems liberal enough and in tune with the country enough to survive. I would love to see a Frederick X (the current crown prince) and even a Christian XI (his son). This is the oldest monarchy in Europe, the family are decent and open, and they are liked enough by the Danes to warrent keeping around.

The Danish Monarchy exemplifies a workable cohesion with boundaries. By that I mean they are a visual and prominent part of the community, who can freely mix, shop, excursion, eat out and contribute with minimal fuss. In a sense, they are allowed a degree of normality perhaps not shared by all other royal families.

People while being naturally curious and wanting to wave or say 'hello', remain conscious of their space and that they aren't regular citizens.

It's like an invisible line that can be crossed but people are considerate and concerning enough to respect it.

It appears to me theres a real sense of tribal belonging in Denmark. Traditionally a small oceanic nation of farmers, fisherman and hunters, it is an old community with a great sense for modernity. The balance is key and it's beautiful to behold. I've experienced the richness of Danish culture personally, and there is a pride to it that resonates such warmth.

It really does exhibit aesthetic traits of a fairytale like Kingdom, imo.

Last edited:
To Muhlers question re. F&M taking over.

Personally, I see it just as much a need from the CP couple to perform actual work, than a stepping-back from the Queen's part.

There's been a lot of critizism in Denmark from dissidents thinking that especially Frederik was just living it up. This may have hit the mark with F&M.

Or maybe it's just a development on Frederik's side, that he want's to do more actual representation. Surely this is a good idea both to the CP, the Queen and the country, as the Queen is supported (and won't burn out so fast), Frederik get a lot of XP under his belt, and the nation feels that the CP couple are pitching in "for real".

All in all it's for the better for all of us.

I am more and more inclined towards the Dutch tradition of abdication in
due course. Long waits for the top job are not necessarily good! HM should keep in mind the fate of another CP Frederik, later Frederik the 8th,
who ruled for a mere six years.
IMO the Queen has done a good job over the years, but -again IMO time
has come for a change if our monarchy has to survive in the long run.
HM does her best to hide that she is 'old school royalty', but she
doesn't always get away with it. She is certainly not of the 'bicycling' variety, and I believe that she is only rarely seen in Copenhagen-shops
these days. (Her shopping sprees are mainly in London, where she'll only
be recognized by other Danes.)
The other two Scandinavian RFs seem to have adjusted to the age
they're living in, like taking up humanitarian matters in a multicutural
society, the Norwegians in particular so.
IMO CP Frederik is about getting the hang of this, but it's definetely not
the style of his mother.

viv

Last edited:
I thought I'd repost this here from the Danish State Visit thread

Wasn't he receiving professional help with speaking during the IOC congress before he was elected? I believe they showed that in the DR documentary.

IMO I think Frederik has a "clutter"
Cluttering

I say that only because I suffer from it as well and it is very embarrassing. It explains why his speeches on paper are excellent but do not come out fluent when he speaks.

I thought I'd repost this here from the Danish State Visit thread

You may be right. And I guess you are pretty qualified to judge whether someone "clutters". In that case, there is professional help to get, I presume? Just as with stuttering.

Frederik did indeed get professional councelling in connection with the IOC. It did not turn out well, in my opinion! Whoever coached Frederik outh to have been sacked.
It's my impression they focused much more on what he was supposed to say, rather than how to deliver it. Result: a double flop.

You may be right. And I guess you are pretty qualified to judge whether someone "clutters". In that case, there is professional help to get, I presume? Just as with stuttering.

Frederik did indeed get professional councelling in connection with the IOC. It did not turn out well, in my opinion! Whoever coached Frederik outh to have been sacked.
It's my impression they focused much more on what he was supposed to say, rather than how to deliver it. Result: a double flop.

Since cluttering doesn't have a physical component to it like stuttering, it is harder to get treatment the way a stutterer could. Also, it is both more unknown and more subtle than stuttering. It took a caring teacher to actually catch mine.

Perhaps the fact that Frederik received that help means that he'll be less likely to be offended if someone offered different help? I really feel bad for him but I also think his speaking endears him to the Danish people maybe as its very human to not be perfect at everything. Is that right?

Prince Frederik and Princess Mary will make a great team as King and Queen!
I have read that he is shy, but most shy people are compassionate < and that is a definite trait that is needed for a Monarch.
He is the first born son of the Monarch, so he will be King, he should be respected and allowed as much private time as can be afforded him now - don't pre-judge him - he still has so much he can do before becoming King.
I adore seeing pictures of Fred & Mary with their 4 lovely children, give them all time and I'm sure Denmark will be rewarded with a confident and competant couple !!!
(I love them!!)

but I also think his speaking endears him to the Danish people maybe as its very human to not be perfect at everything. Is that right?

I think in general you are right, Frederik has been very popular with the Danes for being imperfect and struggling with some issues while excelling in others (sports, trip to the pole etc).

However, if there is the impression that he doesnt bother and simply goes ahead with being bad in an essential subject without trying hard to improve (and Danes are aware what Frederik is capable of when trying hard, see above) and making a fool of himself and the country when representing patience will certainly run out quickly.

Margerthe was much younger when becoming monarch but Frederik has had the time to be more than ready and the result with regard to his speaking in public is quite disappointing.

Last edited:
I think in general you are right, Frederik has been very popular with the Danes for being imperfect and struggling with some issues while excelling in others (sports, trip to the pole etc).

However, if there is the impression that he doesnt bother and simply goes ahead with being bad in an essential subject without trying hard to improve (and Danes are aware what Frederik is capable of when trying hard, see above) and making a fool of himself and the country when representing patience will certainly run out quickly.

Margerthe was much younger when becoming monarch but Frederik has had the time to be more than ready and the result with regard to his speaking in public is quite disappointing.

:previous: I completely agree.

I have defended the prospect of CP Frederik's kingship and and I am willing to do it again :)! He comes accross as a emphatic person, and the fact that he has admitted to his reluctance - if not fright? -of his future role has endeared him to the Danes. He has fought hard to come to terms with his fate.
I'm afraid however that he will be further ridiculed by the republican minded media if he doesn't try to improve his public speaking.

Prince Joachim is very articulate in comparison! I'm old enough to remember that the Danes once wished that Joachim was the first born in stead of the very moody young Frederik! We don't wish to go there again for the monarchy's sake!

viv

Prince Joachim is very articulate in comparison! I'm old enough to remember that the Danes once wished that Joachim was the first born in stead of the very moody young Frederik! We don't wish to go there again for the monarchy's sake!
Well, Frederik is not a very moody young man anymore, and he is not stupid. I think he knows that he needs
to improve his public speaking skills, but it might be a slow process.

Joachim might be more articulate and smooth, but Frederik seems to have many other good qualities that,
IMO, will make him a good King. The most important is that he is very good with people. All sorts of people.
I have nothing against Joachim, but there is no question who I would choose if I had the choice.

Last edited:
Regarding Frederik's public speaking skills - I wouldn't take the occasional poor performance, even a very poor performance, as evidence that he hasn't gotten help with this skill. I don't think it's like riding a bike, where once you've learned how to pedal, brake, etc. you'll be a good rider from here on out. I think taking the last couple of years in aggregate Frederik has, in fact, improved quite a bit with his speaking. If he had a setback in Russia, (I haven't had a chance to follow the trip), well, maybe he was especially tired, or was asked to change his remarks at the last moment or he was talking to Mary on the phone just before and something in their conversation stressed him out, etc. Things that wouldn't throw off someone who is naturally good at speaking can be major for someone who finds it difficult to start with.

He has had a lifetime to prepare for the job as the Danish king. Only time will tell if the danish people will be satisfied with a likeable but not very polished king.

I think Mary will play an imporant part. Like in Sweden, people are willing to put up with an imperfect or flawed but popular King (I am not including the latest controversy around CG in this assessment) if they see he is trying hard and the spouse makes somewhat up for it.

I think its a fact that Frederik will be subject to much more scrutiny and the knifes will be out for critizism in case he still isnt willing to accept what he has been groomed for since he was born.

I think as time goes on he will make a great king and espcially with Mary at his side, what he did as a young playful man is in the past. I think he will step up to the plate and become a good danish king

I think Mary will play an imporant part. Like in Sweden, people are willing to put up with an imperfect or flawed but popular King (I am not including the latest controversy around CG in this assessment) if they see he is trying hard and the spouse makes somewhat up for it.

I think its a fact that Frederik will be subject to much more scrutiny and the knifes will be out for critizism in case he still isnt willing to accept what he has been groomed for since he was born.

Since nobody is perfect, I think there are lots of countries where people will have to accept an imperfect King or Queen.

The "not accepting his fate" phase was when he was young, wasn't it? About 20 years ago.
I think it has become quite clear a long time ago, that it's not how he feels anymore.

Last edited:
Only time will tell if the danish people will be satisfied with a likeable but not very polished king.

Frederik IX, comes to mind. A man and King unpolished, but was very much endeared to his people.

A family man who had an interest in sports, the arts and loved a good party. And a proud naval man to boot! Perhaps its something in the name ;)

It's evident Frederik has a clear linguistic hesitance when infront of large crowds, and that's something one would hope he is being supported with.

It's always struck me how Frederik and Joachim's spoken english is so noticeably different. Frederik has what I'd consider to be a thick accent, while Joachim is so fluent when he talks english and as such, phrases his sentences quite well.

And as with the foreign born Ingrid, I believe the foreign born Mary will provide the polish that's required. Infact, the Crown Princess already does to a large extent.

Last edited:
Translation of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #40, 2011.
(Some of you will no doubt enjoy the reply).

Q: During the state visit to Russia Crown Prince Frederik spoke black (idiom mening incomprehensible). Isn't it a problem that our future king or so rhetorically weak?

Jon Bloch Skipper: Wonder if you think about the following statement which got a good deal of attention in the press: "A socalled natural change has occoured, which time is responsible for. That is, that a natural development takes place over time for a country in particular. But also for the whole world". (*)
There is no reason to hide that the Crown Prince sometimes express himself in a knotty way. I have noticed myself that he often uses peculiar/amusing metaphores, reverses the order of words and use numerous fillers. He also often use the imprecise pronoun "one" which has a tendency to make the language imprecise. I do however think that many are way too busy focusing on the delivery, rather than listening to what he actually says. In regards to content there is rarely anything to go for/go after/sink your teeth into and that is after all what is most important.
Apart from that the Crown Prince has a number of personal qualities that will probably make him both a well liked, capable and contemporary monarch.

(*) If you were able to make sense of that in one go, my translation wasn't good enough...;)
The sentences in Danish: "Der er sket en såkaldt naturlig forandring, som tiden er ansvarlig for. Det vil sige at der jo sker en naturlig udvikling over tid for et land i særdeleshed. Men også for hele verden".

The new Danish government is proposing a rewrite - headed by the social liberals - of the constitution, with one of the primary suggestions being a removal of the Monarchy or a reduction of it's role in politics (the traditional or symbolic role in astablishing government and calling elections).

Although there's internal strife in the party on the matter of the monarchy, I doubt that the danes have enough presence of mind to actually see the value of the monarchy - beyond the weekly magazines - and will readily throw monarchy in the bin based on the "economic burden", "tabloid-filler" arguments.

I pray they do - but I doubt it.

IMO, the monarchy should be strengthened - not weakened. They are, after all, the only protection the population have against politicians. (The ruling class's facination of the EU stands as a testament to that effect.)

nwinther, Helle Thorning has said that the government will not touch the monarchys place in DK :)

Back
Top Bottom