The Future of the Danish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He has had 40 years to deal with the position he's born into. Jeez, it's about time for him and his defenders to quit this excuse for his lack of productivity. There's far worse fate than being born a crown prince. He's paid generously and enjoys all the previlleges of his position while working only one or two days a week. There are millions of people would switch place with him.

As for likability, it's not enough to be liked by Danes. It's a monarch's job to represent his country. He will need to be liked or at least respected by non-Danes. So far, judging from his light-weight overseas trips and very few participation at international events, he appears to have very little stature outside of Denmark. This will hurt his position in the long run.

Well CP Frederik has proven his worth.

He has both an academic degree as well as the hardest military education.

In 1989, the crown prince began to study for an academic degree, when he began a course in Political Science at University of Aarhus. This included a year at Harvard University (1992–1993) under the name of Frederik Henriksen, studying political science. He then took up a position for three months with the Danish UN mission in New York in 1994. In 1995 Crown Prince Frederik obtained his MA degree in Political Science from University of Aarhus. He completed the course in the prescribed number of years with an exam result above average. His final paper was an analysis on the foreign policy of the Baltic States.

He has completed extensive military studies and training in all three services, notably completing education as a sailor in the naval elite special operations forces (members of this are known as frogmen or frømænd in Danish).

Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Benedikte, I dont thing the academic degree and his military education has something to do with some ability or suitability. It's like knowledge and intelligence.
I just dont know if Frederick is suitable, but I just notice that he is not on the international stage as is Prince Felipe of spain, Haakon or Willem-Alexander. Haakon and Willem (who did the same course of studies) go every year to Davos (Economic Forum). Why Frederick is never invited to assit and discuss and be part of the forum? why the danish governement did not ask him to be part and intervene during the Green conference (sorry I miss the name) which take place in copenhaguen (Prince Charles was invited with Al Gore to deliver a speech, why not the own crown prince of the country) It just make me think they dont believe he can be able to do it? It is just questions from me (not negativity) but if a danish friend wants to answer. Thank you in advance. I'm french so forgive my very bad english....

dear benedikte and muhler, since from what i see you are both located in danemark, your disagreement on frederik's danish in quite interesting.
i know we are O.T., but i'd love to hear more on this.

i can't understand a single word in danish, so i judge from the images only and from the expressions and the body language. and IMO, frederik looks like a very open, warm, nice, sensitive and/but shy person. now of course he has got used to speaking in public, to being photographed etcetera, but from some gestures i think he is not completely, or better deeply, confortable with that - e.g. the constant habit of putting at least one hand into his pocket. i think that he has grown into accepting this shyness of his and has understood that he can be liked all the same (and if i am not mistaken he is quite popular in danemark), and i got the impression that this acceptance has made him more sure - see e.g. the speech at his mother's 70th birthday, where i think he did not stumled, but delivered quite well without appearing overanxious.
i also think that, were he an arrogant or cold guy, his uncertainty would be much more stressed and criticised, while, being the nice fellow he is, this "defect" is not heavily and badly commented upon.
but of course, i wait to see what you danish think about it.

Well, let me try to answer that.
When I say that I find Frederik is a poor verbal communicator it's a statement, an opinion not an attack.

I can't sing. I can improve by practise but I'll remain a poor singer because I haven't got the talent.
The same thing with Frederik when it comes to addressing a crowd, a press conference or giving a more or less improvised speech.
His mumbles, don't finish sentences, use an odd chioce of words and express himself in a way where it is not clear exactly what he mean. In short: his speech is black.
He has problems translating his thought pattern into a coherent language, everyone can understand. That's an art. (Which everyone who has been given the task of writing manuals can testify to).
He knows that, so conciously or not he gets nervous in such situations and that just makes it worse.

Others, like Mary and Joachim are natural talents when it comes to addressing an audience or dealing with the press. Reinforced by the triumphs they have had, of which Frederik have had so precious few.

Two of the occasions where Frederik really got through to the audience where in situations where he was not concious of the situation, where he wasn't concerned about doing well, where he was so overjoyed he just went ahead. They were at the birth of Christian and now at the birth of the twins, where he faced the press. (*)
When Frederik speaks from the heart without being concious of what he is saying or has to say, that's where he is at his best.

That also explains why those who have spoken to him one on one, almost unanimously say they genuinely like him and what he says. - No audience.
Of course you should no discount Frederik's charisma in this context, not least on a personal level, which appeal to so many.

However, being a poor verbal comminicator is a handicap in our day an age, where Frederik is forced to communicate through the media.

(*) He made such a good impression that one article wrote about how well he expressed himself under the headline: "A father is born".

Benedikte, I dont thing the academic degree and his military education has something to do with some ability or suitability. It's like knowledge and intelligence.
I just dont know if Frederick is suitable, but I just notice that he is not on the international stage as is Prince Felipe of spain, Haakon or Willem-Alexander. Haakon and Willem (who did the same course of studies) go every year to Davos (Economic Forum). Why Frederick is never invited to assit and discuss and be part of the forum? why the danish governement did not ask him to be part and intervene during the Green conference (sorry I miss the name) which take place in copenhaguen (Prince Charles was invited with Al Gore to deliver a speech, why not the own crown prince of the country) It just make me think they dont believe he can be able to do it? It is just questions from me (not negativity) but if a danish friend wants to answer. Thank you in advance. I'm french so forgive my very bad english....

Well in Denmark we are not hearing a lot about The spanish CP nor Willem. Actually we never hear about any of them.

I had no idee that Haakon and Willem go every year to Davos (Economic Forum). As I have never heard about this Forum.

I would how ever be surprised if the danish CP participated in any kind of political forum what so ever.:lol:

The danish royal house don't engage in political issues.:flowers:

Last edited:
I'm not sure Fred will take his role seriously.
It seems like Mary is more serious about it at times. Maybe he's the type that takes things in a stride, I don't know, but I would definitely like to see how he handles his future role, he may surprise me:)

That's a difficult question to answer. Because I simply don't know.

There can be all sorts of reasons why Frederik is not taking part. - Because it's not his area, because it didn't fit his schedule, because it is considered too political.
If Frederik is attending he is not in a position where he is allowed to say much anyway let alone commit to anything, so the main reason can hardly be a lack of confidence in him.

I'm not sure Fred will take his role seriously.
It seems like Mary is more serious about it at times. Maybe he's the type that takes things in a stride, I don't know, but I would definitely like to see how he handles his future role, he may surprise me:)

I don't see why you should think that he isn't serious.

Par example the navy seal corps is such a difficult education that you wouldn't believe it.:flowers:

thanks everybody for answering my questions.
what muhler makes more sense to me and coincides with the impression i got of frederik myself. i remember him saying that mary is a severe and stimulating critic of his work and i think it meant that he is practising more and more and trying to stick to his notes more, event though of course this will not turn him into a super public speaker.
fortunately he has other kinds of charisma, which can make up for his mumblings etcetera.
nice to see that he delivers very well when his hearth is really into it, e.g. after the twins were born. Muhler, what did exactly say the article A father was born?
on the other hand, it could also be dangerous, bc from the poorness of his performance the audience can immediately understand he does not care about the special occasion...
This said, i do reckon he is so likeable and warm that he is a very suitable cp and will make a very nice king. a modern one, an emotional one maybe, a very sporty and trendy one, but a good one.

Just because he can go through the navy seal corps, doesn't mean he can be King of a country.
Education and a military career won't make him a good king, they might make him a better knowledgable person.

You might not understand why people can't see Frederik as a suitable King, but some of us can.

Muhler, what did exactly say the article A father was born?

I no longer have that article in my archive. I remember it because I translated it.
The author was positively surprised at how well and how confident Frederik expressed himself (just like at the press meeting last Saturday in fact) and how much of a change that was. Hence the reference to A (mature and confident) father is born.
The author also expressed a delight and hope that we were seeing a new Frederik emerging, in regards to speaking in public, press conferences and so on.
That wasn't to be the case.
Frederik replapsed into his usual speech pattern, or became aware of what and how he was saying things, if you like.

Just because he can go through the navy seal corps, doesn't mean he can be King of a country.
Education and a military career won't make him a good king, they might make him a better knowledgable person.

You might not understand why people can't see Frederik as a suitable King, but some of us can.
I think Benedikte refers more to the claim, that Frederik wouldn't take his role seriously ;)

I do agree that education show you are able to live your full potentiel, but that would not be in much use if CP Frederik was a person out of touch with Denmark.

I'm happy to say that CP Frederik is not only an academic person with an academic degree and a navy seal, but CP Frederik also personifies the danes very essence.

He is down to earth.

Not arrogant nor formal.

And that is important to danish people. :lol: And taht is why he is very popular in Denmark:lol:

I'm aware that other countries prefer more stiff upper lip kind of persons.:flowers:

I no longer have that article in my archive. I remember it because I translated it.
The author was positively surprised at how well and how confident Frederik expressed himself (just like at the press meeting last Saturday in fact) and how much of a change that was. Hence the reference to A (mature and confident) father is born.
The author also expressed a delight and hope that we were seeing a new Frederik emerging, in regards to speaking in public, press conferences and so on.
That wasn't to be the case.
Frederik replapsed into his usual speech pattern, or became aware of what and how he was saying things, if you like.

thanks all the same.
well, from my personal experience here in italy, i would like to point out that, though being a good public speaker certainly is important nowadays, it is not everything to a good/suitable politician/king.
e.g., our infamous premier is a damn good communicator, has a kiler instinct when it comes to seducing the audience. but... you all know the story, his actions, our problems.
back to frederik, from the videos i heard joachim certainly sounds more direct and less mumbling, but i also find him quite cold and boring (maybe he is not this way at all, it's just the impression I get). frederik on the other hand always manages to warm me, in a way i'm involved in what he says event though not through his speaking ability.

thanks everybody for answering my questions.
what muhler makes more sense to me and coincides with the impression i got of frederik myself. i remember him saying that mary is a severe and stimulating critic of his work and i think it meant that he is practising more and more and trying to stick to his notes more, event though of course this will not turn him into a super public speaker.
fortunately he has other kinds of charisma, which can make up for his mumblings etcetera.
nice to see that he delivers very well when his hearth is really into it, e.g. after the twins were born. Muhler, what did exactly say the article A father was born?
on the other hand, it could also be dangerous, bc from the poorness of his performance the audience can immediately understand he does not care about the special occasion...
This said, i do reckon he is so likeable and warm that he is a very suitable cp and will make a very nice king. a modern one, an emotional one maybe, a very sporty and trendy one, but a good one.

:flowers: IMO you have described almost exactly what kind of King he would be. He is all those things and more.;)

back to frederik, from the videos i heard joachim certainly sounds more direct and less mumbling, but i also find him quite cold and boring (maybe he is not this way at all, it's just the impression I get). frederik on the other hand always manages to warm me, in a way i'm involved in what he says event though not through his speaking ability.

That doesn't surprise me.

The difference is presumably that you don't understand what Frederik is saying, so you look at his body language and note his charisma.
While I (to be honest) listen and try to make sense of what he is saying.

Perhaps I should cut the sound the next time he speaks. :lol:

thanks all the same.
well, from my personal experience here in italy, i would like to point out that, though being a good public speaker certainly is important nowadays, it is not everything to a good/suitable politician/king.
e.g., our infamous premier is a damn good communicator, has a kiler instinct when it comes to seducing the audience. but... you all know the story, his actions, our problems.

I do agree with you Eliz.:flowers:

CP Frederik has the challenge that he must not express any political views. And as an academic he might use long sentences when he is asked a question that he tries to answer without being political:flowers:

But his warm personality always shows.

Last edited:
And as an academic he might use long sentences when he is asked a question that he tries to answer without being political:flowers:

Then perhaps he should use shorter and simpler sentences.

Not finishing sentences and mumbling are bad habits, which he can work on.
The flowery or rather image-loaded language he express himself with is a genuine problem for him. It's my impression he thinks in this fashion. That's a thought-pattern that can be very difficult to put into words. Some are blessed with that gift. - Unsurprisingly they are often poets and authors. Frederik, alas, do not posess that gift.

I was absolutely delighted when I heard he recieved councelling in how to speak to the press. I don't know what went wrong. It hasn't worked.
Either the councellors were not skilled enough or they ought to have knocked frederik on the head and said: "Pay attention"!

Then perhaps he should use shorter and simpler sentences.

Not finishing sentences and mumbling are bad habits, which he can work on.
The flowery or rather image-loaded language he express himself with is a genuine problem for him. It's my impression he thinks in this fashion. That's a thought-pattern that can be very difficult to put into words. Some are blessed with that gift. - Unsurprisingly they are often poets and authors. Frederik, alas, do not posess that gift.

I was absolutely delighted when I heard he recieved councelling in how to speak to the press. I don't know what went wrong. It hasn't worked.
Either the councellors were not skilled enough or they ought to have knocked frederik on the head and said: "Pay attention"!

Well I don't agree with you.

Are we all going to use short sentences?

I hardly think so:lol:

Well I don't agree with you.

Are we all going to use short sentences?

I hardly think so:lol:

Well, if you want to get your message across, you may have to. ;)

If I used shorter sentences to get my message across, I would be banned! :lol:

I very seldom post on these forums- I enjoy reading everyone's opinions but I do have to say that I find the opinions of people from countries other than Denmark a trifle superfluous. The Danes on this board, for the most part seem to approve of Frederick -even like, admire and respect him. As long as the Danish people are satisfied, I don't think it really matters what non-Danes think about his ability to be a good King or not. And I would remind you that one of the best-loved English Kings-George VI-had horrendous problems in public speaking. His people still love him today.

I very seldom post on these forums- I enjoy reading everyone's opinions but I do have to say that I find the opinions of people from countries other than Denmark a trifle superfluous. The Danes on this board, for the most part seem to approve of Frederick -even like, admire and respect him. As long as the Danish people are satisfied, I don't think it really matters what non-Danes think about his ability to be a good King or not. And I would remind you that one of the best-loved English Kings-George VI-had horrendous problems in public speaking. His people still love him today.

That's true.

However, I'd like to point out that the name of the thread is a bit misleading in regards to the current discussion, which is Frederik's speech pattern, rather than his suitablility as a king.
- A nice long sentence, eh? :p

And there is no problem with his speach pattern IMO:)

Avoiding to be caught in a political discussion he is able to deliver an academic answer because he is an academic.

This is not a response to you specifically, wanderingnana, but I am using your words to address a wider attitude in this thread.

If the opinions of people from outside of Denmark are "superfluous" and it doesn't really matter what non-Danes think, why have this thread in the first place? Why have any thread for that matter? Are we here to have a a discussion or to use people's nationality as a basis for the validity of their opinion?

BTW, thank you for making my point...George VI is a much beloved deceased monarch who is not only highly regarded today, but also has a film, "The King's Speech" currently in theaters that is completely about his speech problems.

I always thought that danish is a mumbling language as the cprince mumbles and has alot of "err" in his sentences, and a native danish doctor in the medical facility where i do pr work Also always seems to mumble, now i see that it is not so!

And there is no problem with his speach pattern IMO:)

Avoiding to be caught in a political discussion he is able to deliver an academic answer because he is an academic.

Eeh, I do not find his answers particularly academic and even if they were it may be advisable to be less "academic" as the majority of the population are not academics.
And they are after all also to be considered, I trust?

I always thought that danish is a mumbling language as the cprince mumbles and has alot of "err" in his sentences, and a native danish doctor in the medical facility where i do pr work Also always seems to mumble, now i see that it is not so!
It is easy to speak danish with you rmouth just a little bit open ;) I find myself doing it sometimes, eventhough I, as a singer, should know better ;)

I think since he has meet, married and grown with a suitable life partner, I think he is more suitable to be King in 2011, than he was say in 1999...And I don't know much about him before that time but I imagine it was probably just an age thing, he was younger then, experimenting with boundaries, testing limits, just living it up being a young adult...

And as with all responsibilities that are thrust upon you, you rise to the occassion when that happens...and maybe in royal circles becoming the monarch is bittersweet, because it also signifies the passing of the previous monarch and parent...So maybe that might explain Frederik's reluctance to discuss 'being King' with the media or anyone, because that would mean his mother would be dead....No-one wants to think about that!

Regarding the public speaking I wonder if it's become ingrained in him that this is something he just can't do. Unlike most of us Frederik has never had the opportunity to improve his speaking skills in a gradual, natural way. If you're a politician who isn't especially good at speaking, for example, you get to improve over years starting out with little local town hall meetings that only about five people care about or listen to, and then as your career progresses the audiences become bigger and the stakes are higher. At some point you might find yourself Prime Minister or the equivalent and then, yes, everyone in the country is listening and judging what you have to say, (and how you say it). Frederik didn't have that sort of career progression; he essentially started out at the level of a well known national politician with all the attention and criticism that comes with it. I can see how it would be difficult to find the motivation to improve in that kind of situation.

First of all, let me congratulate everyone for being able to discuss this issue in a civilized and polite manner:flowers: What a joy for a Danish thread that too often in the past has degenerated into a slinging match!:whistling: Long may this continue!:)

Secondly, I don't agree with the perspective that it matters only to the Danish if CP Frederik is a good King or not. We live in a global society. Frederik will essentially become Denmark's top ambassador & diplomat in the future. His job entails carrying the banner for Denmark all over the world and improving relations between Denmark and other countries. So yes, his ability to communicate and also to be a good King is important outside of Denmark as well.

Thirdly, I think that it is no secret that I am an admirer of CP Frederik (and a proud member of the red pants brigade at that :lol::whistling:). I like him because he comes across as genuine, warm and his ability to so easily show his emotions in public (which only came about after he got engaged, married and had a family). He seems like the kind of person that you can sit down, have a beer and chat with and completely forget that he is a Crown Prince. For someone who has been royal all his life, I think that is a rare gift.

That being said, communication is a vital part of his job. And he should take steps to improve what is obviously a weak area of his. With his mother on the throne, this is the perfect time to be working on that. When he becomes King, all bets will be off and I don't think having a folksy personality will be all that counts.

I too think that we may be very surprised at his performance when he becomes King. His marriage and having children have brought out positive changes in him. I hope that he gets better and better.

Now, if only we can get him a proper day suit tailor and improve his communication...he would be perfect!!!!:ROFLMAO::lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom