The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Nobility

I haven't really kept track of Frederik's educational pursuits, save for the ones mentioned in interviews and documentaries. During meetings with the press, Frederik seems to have quite a bit of self-confidence, without a self-absorbed air about him; he seems very down-to-earth. Also, I know that he was not educated in the palace as his predecessors had been - he was educated at public schools, like any other Danish citizen, which (and this is just my opinion) made him more in-touch with the average person, as opposed to constantly being surrounded by other royals, servants or valets. Being more in touch with the people I imagine would make him better-suited to be King.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
This, almost spooky parody, shows how she was when she turned 60.
Ignore what is being said, look at her (his) bodylanguage and nervous bahavior. It's spot on:

Oh my. Just add QMII's head and it's the real thing! What was this? A comedy show in Denmark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
From the perspective of one who pays attention to such things, the CP appears authentic. In the presser after the twins' birth, he was entirely genuine, warm, intelligent, and witty. He has chosen a wife who reflects extremely well on him and on Denmark. By outward appearances, they seem to have embraced the value of family-orientation and a togetherness in terms of family values. Again, by outward appearances, he seems a reasonably hands-on father.

If it took him a bit longer to grow up, so to speak, so what? He has a tough "row to hoe" and perhaps he would rather be in the shoes of Carl Phillip or Joachim. But he isn't. He has made some good choices that suggest he has come to terms with what his life will/must be. I for one give him credit for the educational/military choices he has made as well as the critical life choices I have mentioned and will trust that he will continue to make sound choices as he grows nearer to his destiny, and eventually assumes it. My prayers are with Frederik and Mary, and I hope others will join in a silent encouragement of prayer and good will toward them. They will need it...
Great post.

I think marriage has settled him down immensely but fatherhood has probably changed his perspective on life, family and country. He really does look like he is enjoying family life.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcurious View Post
Oh my. Just add QMII's head and it's the real thing! What was this? A comedy show in Denmark?
It's a satire-bit - maybe from an old satire show. Ulf Piilgaard, the actor parodying the queen in the bit - it's one of his specialties.

The idea is that the queen is answering the most stupid questions from the press - despite having said, that they've had "50 years to prepare their questions". Questions such as "what will the weather be like on the day" and "doesn't the queen have any regrets" (- a question the "queen" - under her breath - predicts will come) are the only kinds of questions asked.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Aristocracy

I have to make it absolutely clear, that this satire bit from Muhler is not showing QMII as she is.

QMII is not jumping up and down in her chair. QMII is just as the documentary, about the royal houses in Europe, shows. If anyone has seen this tv-serie.

She is talking a very old danish but with lots of style even though she sound like 80 years ago.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 AM
Royal Highness

The very essence of satire is to show some traits about a person in an exaggerated way.
This satire is spot on! The actor, Ulf Pilgaard, did a good job
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
The very essence of satire is to show some traits about a person in an exaggerated way.
This satire is spot on! The actor, Ulf Pilgaard, did a good job
I second that, UserDane and will add that I´ve heard QMII applauding Ulf Pilgaard for his satire and has said herself that it is spot on.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
This, almost spooky parody, shows how she was when she turned 60.
Ignore what is being said, look at her (his) bodylanguage and nervous bahavior. It's spot on:

Muhler, thanks for posting this video !

I agree, this spoof is spot on regarding the younger Queen Margrethe. IMO her public speaking abilities have become less hectic and nervous
over the years!
CP Frederik did not get his insecure public speaking manners from strangers! Many Danes tend to forget that his mother was just as insecure,
it just came out differently! HM always tried to hide her insecurity by using plenty of metaphors, circumlocutions, reservations, old fashioned
words, double negations, the more so if she smells a controversial or politically charged subject.

Try reading a verbatim interview with her; it really takes some decoding and processing to figure out what she's trying to say!

The body language has become less nervous - thank heavens - but I
have to say that the actors spoof is priceless!

And now back on track: IMO CP Frederik will become an excellent monarch when his time comes! He will be able to connect to the people to
a greater extend that HM ever did. I'm also convinced that his public speaking ability will keep improving; it's evident that he's working on it!

Viv
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
CP Frederik did not get his insecure public speaking manners from strangers! Many Danes tend to forget that his just was just as insecure, it just manifested itself differently! HM always tried to hide her insecurity by using plenty of metaphors, circumlocutions, reservations, old fashioned words, double negations, the more so if she smells a controversial or politically charged subject.

Try reading a verbatim interview with her; it really takes som decoding and processing to figure out what she's trying to say!
You are absolutely right! It is an inherited trait in Frederik, it just manifests itself differently.

Quote:
And now back on track: IMO CP Frederik will become an excellent monarch when his time comes! He will be able to connect to the people to a greater extend that HM ever did. I'm also convinced that his public speaking ability will keep improving; it's evident that he's working on it!
Viv
yes I agree.

The difference in the queen's and Frederik's ability and wish to interact personally with people under various circumstances was evident at the church ceremony in 2005 for the Danes killed at the tsunami; when the royal family left the church, the queen seemed a bit hesitant next to the rows with relatives to the dead and then opted for nodding to them. Frederik and Mary looked as if they would have liked to greet them all personally, but they had to follow the monarch's clue of course.
Margrethe has never seemed totally at ease in these situations, whereas Frederik would undoubtedly have walked straight to the relatives and given them a handshake.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The difference in the queen's and Frederik's ability and wish to interact personally with people under various circumstances was evident at the church ceremony in 2005 for the Danes killed at the tsunami; when the royal family left the church, the queen seemed a bit hesitant next to the rows with relatives to the dead and then opted for nodding to them. Frederik and Mary looked as if they would have liked to greet them all personally, but they had to follow the monarch's clue of course.
Userdane, I remember that particular moment too well; I yelled at the TV " Move your butt, Queen! Shake their hands, offer your condolences!" .

Quote:
Margrethe has never seemed totally at ease in these situations, whereas Frederik would undoubtedly have walked straight to the relatives and given them a handshake.
Absolutely! I'm not sure whether he'd go as far as a hug, but I don't think that he'll shrink should it happen. Actually come to think of it, he did accept a hug on some occasion, didn't he?

Viv
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Aristocracy

Well I think we are experiencing af generation gap.

I have not experienced QMII being nervous. You must be talking about QMII at the age of 18 or something.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Actually come to think of it, he did accept a hug on some occasion, didn't he?

Viv
Yes, I believe he has on several occasions; I think in recent years in connection with a bicycle race where a spectator was so thrilled to see him that Frederik got a big hug. He just grinned and hugged back.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
Well I think we are experiencing af generation gap.
I have not experienced QMII being nervous. You must be talking about QMII at the age of 18 or something.
That's possible ! If you are, say, under 30 you may not have noticed HM's nervousness when it was at its worst! But she centainly was until her ripe middle age! At interviews she was wriggling in her seat, looking at her watch or some 'vanishing point' in the distance, fiddling with her hands or jewellery, you name it! Though exaggerated, Ulf Pilgaard's sketch proves the point! He'd never have made it unless HM's gestures would ring a bell in an audience!

Another thing: We -meaning you, I and people in general - don't necessarily perceive people or situations in the same way! For instance HM's nervousness - when it was at its worst - would have been perceived as discomfort and nervousness by some while others would see it as a 'charming shyness'. Much is in the eye of the beholder!

Viv
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Muhler, thanks for posting this video !

I agree, this spoof is spot on regarding the younger Queen Margrethe. IMO her public speaking abilities have become less hectic and nervous
over the years!
CP Frederik did not get his insecure public speaking manners from strangers! Many Danes tend to forget that his mother was just as insecure,
it just came out differently! HM always tried to hide her insecurity by using plenty of metaphors, circumlocutions, reservations, old fashioned
words, double negations, the more so if she smells a controversial or politically charged subject.

Try reading a verbatim interview with her; it really takes some decoding and processing to figure out what she's trying to say!

The body language has become less nervous - thank heavens - but I
have to say that the actors spoof is priceless!

And now back on track: IMO CP Frederik will become an excellent monarch when his time comes! He will be able to connect to the people to
a greater extend that HM ever did. I'm also convinced that his public speaking ability will keep improving; it's evident that he's working on it!

Viv
IMO she has not lost all of those body language traits, though it is obvious that this actor is exaggerating. I noticed a much subtler version when watching HM interviewed for the program "A Royal Family."
Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

At the end of my very long day at the medical facility where I work I chatted with a Danish surgeon and congratulated him on the birth of the new princes, and he said to me spontaneously w/o me mentioning a thing, (he might find me a lunatic being so royal mad)about how he spoke to his mother (who lives in Denmark and is also in the medical field) and she mentioned how articulate Mary is and how Frederick is such a bumbler when it comes to public speeches. IMHO this is the face of the upper middle class in Denmark, and that' s how they see the Crown prince as in "Thank god for his wife, phew she saves the day"
Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Courtier

Spot on, and hilarious. I wish I spoke Danish so I could understand it! I remember there was a comedian who was known for his imitation of Margrethe (it might have been this one), and Queen Ingrid once attended one of his shows. His staff informed him that the Queen Mother was in the audience, and thus he ought to skip the segment where he made fun of the Queen. At intermission, Ingrid sent a message backstage asking, "You're not thinking of leaving out the part about my daughter, are you? I've been wanting to see that!"
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
Spot on, and hilarious. I wish I spoke Danish so I could understand it! I remember there was a comedian who was known for his imitation of Margrethe (it might have been this one), and Queen Ingrid once attended one of his shows. His staff informed him that the Queen Mother was in the audience, and thus he ought to skip the segment where he made fun of the Queen. At intermission, Ingrid sent a message backstage asking, "You're not thinking of leaving out the part about my daughter, are you? I've been wanting to see that!"
That's Preben Christensen, the spouse of Mary's hairdresser, Søren Hedegaard.
While Ulf Pilgaard is eminent in looking like QMII, Preben Christensen mimicks her voice very well.

Make a search at YouTube. Use the words: linie 3 dronningen. - and you'll find several videos.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Royal Highness

In one of his Queen Margrethe imitations, Preben Kristensen had this line (which is probably better in Danish than in English) - spoken with a rather affected accent ....

'Our visit to Egypt where we rode and smoked Camels.... '
Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
At the end of my very long day at the medical facility where I work I chatted with a Danish surgeon and congratulated him on the birth of the new princes, and he said to me spontaneously w/o me mentioning a thing, (he might find me a lunatic being so royal mad)about how he spoke to his mother (who lives in Denmark and is also in the medical field) and she mentioned how articulate Mary is and how Frederick is such a bumbler when it comes to public speeches. IMHO this is the face of the upper middle class in Denmark, and that' s how they see the Crown prince as in "Thank god for his wife, phew she saves the day"
That is unfortunately a perception I also encounter pretty often. Not least by those who don't follow the DRF that closely. And many are not against the monarchy, on the contrary.

And it's a pity!
That's why I so much hope Frederik will address the issue. Because this is a weak point of his and he will get some heat for it in the future.
If he stuttered or had a lisp, people would accept that. But a poor performance in front of the media is not so readily accepted, and no matter how endearing and likable he is, it's annoying.
That's why I (and many with me, I can safely say) hope he will get some intensive training.
Do some of you remember the interview Jes Dorph Pedersen made with Frederik in connection with his 40th birthday? Jes Dorph Pedersen is probably among the most pro-DRF TV-journalists in DK, and still Frederik had problems expressing himself. - It was only when he talked about Mary and his children, he really got his message across.
At the press conference after he was elected to become a member of the IOC, he was roasted by the press. And he had been prepared for months for that.

When M&F were in New York some years ago, it was Mary who took over at the press conference, and she did well, despite not having nearly as much experience as now.

I hope someone will have, pardon me, the b...s to go up to Frederik and say: "You have a problem and you must deal with it"!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Excellently stated Muhler!
I may not be Danish, but I do adore CP Frederik and I will like to see him not only become King, but a King which all Danes can be proud of.

I hope it isn't a situation where the royal house is hoping that CP Frederik eventually "grows out" of his communication problems like Queen Margrethe did. With the media driven world that he will reign in, that would be a huge mistake!

By the way Muhler, what do we know about his new chief of court Christian Schønau outside of his biographical information? Is he the kind of person who isn't afraid to tell CP Frederik "Your Highness, you need media training!" IMO, the CP Couple need staff around them, who not only respect them, but also are not afraid to give them a kick in the a..s if necessary!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Courtier

Muhler, If I may ask, what is Fredrik's problem exactly? After reading almost 3 pages, all I gather is that he's not as articulate as Mary. So the question for me is: Is he not articulate because he's not smart or he's uncomfortable discussing certain subjects? You seems to think he does fine as far as discussing his family, and since he does not stutter or have a lisp, so is his intelligence in question? Academics are often long-winded, but you seem to reject that argument, but I can't tell for myself because I don't speak the language. What is at the root of his "problem"?

Tags
crown prince frederik