The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Gentry

First of all, I like his red pants- lol. Secondly-I realize it is a discussion board, but I think I do have a point- what difference is it to an American, say, if Frederick is a good King? He isn't an American King or an English King= but a Danish King and if the Danes are satisfied with him, then we should be- we don't have to live under his rule or presence, since I believe that the Danish Parliament and Prime Minister really govern that country. The thing that strikes me is that some people criticize him and these people do not live in his country, yet seem to say that he is unacceptable to them. That may be true if he were English or American or Australian- but he's Danish. It is true to a certain extent that we live in a global community, but not that global. Of course, I am not European and don't understand the EC and all it's ramifications and don't pretend to comment on any of that with little or no knowledge. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. I have seen the King's Speech and loved it. I think it proves that there are other qualities in a ruler that are at least as important as the ability to be a wonderful public speaker. There are a great number of great public speakers who have no business trying to run a country. My country is loaded with them.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Courtier

Your points are noted! However, the discussion in this thread include posts by Danes who think he should be much better at communicating than he is. There are some Danes who think he is not suitable to be King. Yes, it does appear that CP Frederik is very popular in his country, but I don't think we should discount the views of those that think he needs to do much better.
The people who want him to do better...want a better King. I don't see anything wrong with that. Everyone can always improve!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Courtier

Well, I guess we will never know if he will be a suitable king unless he becomes king one day and faces that new challange. For the time being though I have to say that I don't find a portfolio for Frederik. He seems to do his job as much as it is needed from him, yes. But apart from that I can't see that he is interested in anything else than sports. He doesn't seem to have his own field of interest at least it is not that visible to me.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Courtier

The portfolio of CP Frederik centers around sport, the youth (getting them active and involved in sports), the environment, expeditions and research. He runs for pleasure and in marathons, sails competitively, motor bike racing (even the prime minister took part in a race with him last year) - he is physically active. He is a member of the ISAF International Sailing Committee which deals with sailing competitions. He is the Danish representative of the IOC. I understand that Denmark and the European Union has an issue with obesity and especially childhood obesity...both Frederik and Mary, as physically active people who love exercise and sports are supporters of sporting events and encourages those activities at events with the youth. I am sure that the Danes can tell you more about Frederik's focus.
For obvious reasons, it seems that the men in the DRF (Henrik, Frederik & Joachim) don't get much media focus on their activities since Mary and Marie are the prime media focus. But then, that's true for all monarchies, not only in Denmark.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
Just because he can go through the navy seal corps, doesn't mean he can be King of a country.
Education and a military career won't make him a good king, they might make him a better knowledgable person.

You might not understand why people can't see Frederik as a suitable King, but some of us can.
Exactly!
Being a suitable king is so much more than some think.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Courtier

I have faith in the fact that CP Frederik will become a good King. His mother Queen Margrethe was not always the articulate Queen she has become. She had to grow in the role as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Aristocracy

Frederik will be the next Danish king because the law says he will be. Joachim has a character that is more suited to leadership but he is not heir apparent - it's that simple. Joachim has a marvellous combination of upper class certainty joined with a genuine and relevant concern for social issues. His latest trips to Africa - whilst not necessarily productive or valuable in tackling the problems there - demonstrated that he knows he has to have a commitment to service in the wide sense. I am struggling to think of any similar meaningful personal discomfort or commitment that Frederik has made in the name of the wellbeing of others. And that is everything that we look for in a ruling dynasty and gives it validity. Frederik's real difficulty is that his failings are very sharply highlighted in contrast to Haakon and Willem-Alexander. These are two highly intelligent men with a real inner sense of purpose and public service. You do not expect these two gentlemen to put a foot wrong but you are not surprised with Frederik does. (...) Frederik shares similar limitations to Phillippe de Brabant - neither are particularly bright and are not clear on the responsibilities that come with privilege in a constitutional monarchy in the 21st C. (...)
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps Americans shouldn't even comment on this, but my opinion is that Frederik would make a much more suitable king than his brother.
Joachim gives the impression of being arrogant, abrupt, and self-absorbed.

If he has some extreme social consciousness, I haven't observed it. He may be a better speaker than Frederik, but some excellent speakers turn out to be all style and no substance (a phenomenon we are well-acquainted with in the USA).
Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Gentry

From what I've read-here on this board about Joachim and his character I will have to agree with you. As far as Willem Alexander is concerned, a great many people on the Dutch monarchy board seem to consider him something of an ignoramus. I do think that's probably pretty exaggerated. I'll stick with Frederick.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I don't agree with the perspective that it matters only to the Danish if CP Frederik is a good King or not. We live in a global society. Frederik will essentially become Denmark's top ambassador & diplomat in the future. His job entails carrying the banner for Denmark all over the world and improving relations between Denmark and other countries. So yes, his ability to communicate and also to be a good King is important outside of Denmark as well.

That being said, communication is a vital part of his job. And he should take steps to improve what is obviously a weak area of his. With his mother on the throne, this is the perfect time to be working on that. When he becomes King, all bets will be off and I don't think having a folksy personality will be all that counts.

I too think that we may be very surprised at his performance when he becomes King. His marriage and having children have brought out positive changes in him. I hope that he gets better and better.
I think he will surprise people and just like his mother, he will eventually earn the love of a nation. Is he not more popular now than Margrethe ever was when she was the CPss?

And I totally agree with you about his wife and children. It has changed him for the better. He seems to have the stability and support that he was lacking in his 'playboy' years. He is a man content on his life and he seems aware of his place in his family and Denmark's history.
Frederik's approach to his duty as a husband, father and CP may not conform to what the perceived idea a person in his position should do but if the way he is right now makes him a better half in all these three aspects of his life, then why do we ask more of him? What if this is all he can give?

Okay, so we expect more of him as he will be the future King so why don't we wait until the guy actually is one before we can judge if he is suitable for the job or not?

Richard Branson was a dyslexic and was what he himself calls 'stupid' during his early years. People didn't know what it was back then and so they just thought he was dumb. He failed during tests and quiz time because this was his weak areas and eventually dropped out. But what he did have was an ambition and a love of sport, music, adventures and people around him.
One of the most famous quotes in his biography was his headmaster and his prediction in his yearbook where he congratulates Branson and says that he is either going to end up in jail or become a millionare.
Of course he isn't a millionare now.

He's a billionare.

You're probably wondering why I wrote this but I just wanted to point out that not everyone who is successful was good at doing everything in life. Your weaknesses are someone elses success. Frederik may not be the strongest of speakers but he is no dud either. He more than makes up with it in other areas.He has an ability to make people warm to him and that quality is rare to find in any human being, let alone a CP who has lived such a public life. He seems like one of the most approachable CP's, if not the most approachable CP there is today.

When he becomes King, I have no doubt he would bring his own ability and strengths to help him, not to mention he will have the support and guidance of his wife beside him all the way. It really isn't that much of a sad case here.
He is more than suited to becoming a King. CP Frederik is just doing it the way he knows best. Which won't please everyone but hey, such is life.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
Frederik will be the next Danish king because the law says he will be. Joachim has a character that is more suited to leadership but he is not heir apparent - it's that simple. Joachim has a marvellous combination of upper class certainty joined with a genuine and relevant concern for social issues. His latest trips to Africa - whilst not necessarily productive or valuable in tackling the problems there - demonstrated that he knows he has to have a commitment to service in the wide sense. I am struggling to think of any similar meaningful personal discomfort or commitment that Frederik has made in the name of the wellbeing of others. And that is everything that we look for in a ruling dynasty and gives it validity. Frederik's real difficulty is that his failings are very sharply highlighted in contrast to Haakon and Willem-Alexander. These are two highly intelligent men with a real inner sense of purpose and public service. You do not expect these two gentlemen to put a foot wrong but you are not surprised with Frederik does. (...) Frederik shares similar limitations to Phillippe de Brabant - neither are particularly bright and are not clear on the responsibilities that come with privilege in a constitutional monarchy in the 21st C. (...)
Very well written, and although I don't agree with all you have to say, I don't think you said anything slanderous or uncivil or mean. Some people on this board just cant take hearing any criticism about their fav royal.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

This thread is about Frederik's suitability to be King - not Mary's "credentials" or her comparison to other wives of heirs. Please keep the discussion to Frederik, posts which are deemed off-topic will be removed.

JessRulz
Danish Forum Mod
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Nobility

Refer post #76
"cannot take hearing any criticism of their favourite royal" This is becoming quite an over used statement/comment, when replies are made to a negative posts. It appears so often that that it almost feels as though we are supposed to agree with what has been posted.
We can go to any thread and on this forum and where there is a negative post about any royal there is always someone to reply in favour, so I am unsure as to why it is an issue here.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Frederik will be the next Danish king because the law says he will be. Joachim has a character that is more suited to leadership but he is not heir apparent - it's that simple. Joachim has a marvellous combination of upper class certainty joined with a genuine and relevant concern for social issues. His latest trips to Africa - whilst not necessarily productive or valuable in tackling the problems there - demonstrated that he knows he has to have a commitment to service in the wide sense.
There is no manual book of who and what kind of person is suited to be a leader. You only have to look back through history at how different the Kings and Queens were during their own reign. Sure PJoachim would have made a great leader. If he was in 1800s. It's a different society from 20 yrs ago and CP Frederik has adapted better to this modern lifestyle IMO. Upper class certainty isn't neccessarily a good thing, especially when most people see it as arrogance. (I don't BTW)
One trip does not demonstrate he has a commitment for a lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I like PJoachim but let's be real here shall we?

Quote:
I am struggling to think of any similar meaningful personal discomfort or commitment that Frederik has made in the name of the wellbeing of others. And that is everything that we look for in a ruling dynasty and gives it validity.
How easy to forget that CP Frederik has extensive years under his belt training as as a Navy seal (or the equivalent of that in Denmark), trained with the Defence force and served as a staff officer for DFD. Some of the toughest training you'll find anywhere. You need a strong will, passion and determination to survive such training yet people don't see it as a commitment?
Please refer to his decorated military career, which also included the Airforce and Army. These things you don't just wake up and do without showing a deep interest in it.

Quote:
Frederik's real difficulty is that his failings are very sharply highlighted in contrast to Haakon and Willem-Alexander. These are two highly intelligent men with a real inner sense of purpose and public service.You do not expect these two gentlemen to put a foot wrong but you are not surprised with Frederik does.
What exactly makes these two more intelligent than Frederik? A sense of purpose and public service? Do they not get more apanage and take more holidays than Frederik annually? I am not stating these opinions as facts though because I know very little about them. I was making a 'sweeping' generalisation based on the little excerpts I read here and there.
What could be more purposeful then being a loving father, a loving husband and being the CP of Denmark?
As for public service, I refer you to my answer above.

(...)

Quote:
Frederik shares similar limitations to Phillippe de Brabant - neither are particularly bright and are not clear on the responsibilities that come with privilege in a constitutional monarchy in the 21st C.
Obviously I totally, absolutely, 100% disagree with this.
You don't get a MA for Political science if you weren't 'bright'. CP Frederik has made it clear many times that he understands the role he must take as King, and if anything, CP Frederik is as modern of a CP as you can get. He understands the issues of today. That is why he is deeply involved in all things to do with the environment, which is one of the most important issues of our time. Obesity is also a problem in today's society and that is why he has involved himself in so many sports challenges. Too often we hear people complain about leaders and royals leading by example. That is exactly what he is doing. He is out there running marathons and being pro-active.
But why report the good things he's trying to do when it's more interesting to discuss how much money they spent and how many holidays they take?

(...)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Nobility

From the perspective of one who pays attention to such things, the CP appears authentic. In the presser after the twins' birth, he was entirely genuine, warm, intelligent, and witty. He has chosen a wife who reflects extremely well on him and on Denmark. By outward appearances, they seem to have embraced the value of family-orientation and a togetherness in terms of family values. Again, by outward appearances, he seems a reasonably hands-on father.

If it took him a bit longer to grow up, so to speak, so what? He has a tough "row to hoe" and perhaps he would rather be in the shoes of Carl Phillip or Joachim. But he isn't. He has made some good choices that suggest he has come to terms with what his life will/must be. I for one give him credit for the educational/military choices he has made as well as the critical life choices I have mentioned and will trust that he will continue to make sound choices as he grows nearer to his destiny, and eventually assumes it. My prayers are with Frederik and Mary, and I hope others will join in a silent encouragement of prayer and good will toward them. They will need it...
Old 01-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
My prayers are with Frederik and Mary, and I hope others will join in a silent encouragement of prayer and good will toward them. They will need it...
That was indeed a very lovely finish to what was a well articulated and sensible post, Susanna.

It costs nothing to wish someone, or a couple, well in life. I feel the same as yourself on the matter.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Fredrik is in a very difficult position, as is the rest of the European royal houses. Will the death/abdication of the sitting regents become the tipping point for the monarchists and republicans? The sitting regents honed their skills during a time when royals were truly above everyone else in all regards. That will not be the case with the crown princes/princesses waiting in line. The world has changed and so has the people and the devotion to someone just because of birth right. The monarchies are purely ceremonial today even if they still have a few functions, which can all be done under a republican system just as well.

Will Fredrik be so important to the Danish people that he can be their regent not only on paper but also in spirit? And does he want to? Perhaps by comparing him to the other crownprinces/princess can we begin to understand his committment to his role. And having a wife that is perfectly made up and dressed in Prada is not necessarily an asset.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...which can all be done under a republican system just as well.
I dread the day republics should make up every governing body

Quote:
And having a wife that is perfectly made up and dressed in Prada is not necessarily an asset.
If that is the case, then that is a statement that should be attributed to all the wives of the current heirs, and not just one of them

Though how this all even relates to the topic I'm not so sure?...lol.

Ultimately, it all comes down to the man, in this case, Frederik. The support of his wife and family aside. And only when he succeeds, and has had time to re-establish himself in the role of Kingship will anyone, not least of all he himself, be able to gage his performance as sovereign.

And it shall be no different for any of his counterparts in this way.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

(...)

My point is that the coming generation of regents will face unprecedented scrutiny either at the time of regent change or very soon after. Monarchies are no longer relevant. The ones that will survive for another generation will have to bring something very unique to their countries and we will not know who they are until the time comes.

I personally would love to all monarchies to remain and be viable in their countries. But I also believe it is up to the current "regents in training" to make it happen. That is a very tall order and only the fittest will have a chance. The question is - does Fredrik have what it takes? And I do not for a minute believe that had he or anyone else of the royals married another royalty that it would have made a difference.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Nobility

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that almost all of the current monarchs faced uncertainty/criticism at the time they ascended. Much of this has to do with the fact that even though the those who preceded them were raised, trained, and assessed according to a very different time, generally they were very much beloved by the citizens of their country. The current monarchs have all ridden the roller-coaster of approval but I can't help feeling that at the time they pass, those citizens will look upon them fondly and rally around their successors. None of them are without their critics, but for the most part they enjoy at least the affection of their people. Of all of them, QEII seems to enjoy the respect, admiration, to a certain extent the idolization (?) of the previous generation of Baudoins, George VIs, etc.

None of the current heirs faces an easy task as far as acceptance, even if they are held with more affection and admiration than those they succeed. And who knows what local, national, and global issues they will each have to face when they do ascend? I don't envy any of them and wish them all well.

Tags
crown prince frederik